1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Another Lombardi story.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by OldSchoolFan, Jan 6, 2011.

1. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    This one was shared by David Maraniss in "When Pride Still Mattered"

Lombardi loved Paul Hornung, and some think that secretly, Vince would have loved the chance to pal around with Hornung and McGee and some of the other young Packers during their glory years. But Vince always worried about his "wild son" just like parents always do.

The scene is the Lombardi bedroom, well past midnight. The phone rings...
    Vince: "Don't answer that, Paul's in trouble!"
    Marie: "Did you ever think it could possibly be one of your own kids?"
    Vince: "Oh...."

Even awakened out of a dead sleep, the "golden boy" was always on Lombardi's mind.

2. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +584
    Just watching the Lombardi HBO documentary. Pretty amazing along with the book "when pride still mattered!"

I dreamt about Lombardi all night.

3. Valhalla Express

Valhalla Express SKOL VIKINGS!

Ratings:
    +65
    I watched the same HBO special with my wife this last weekend. I'm glad he stayed with Green Bay and didn't go to the New York Giants. It is sad that he died so young. He still had a lot to offer the world and the game of football. I have a playbook in my coaching library that explains the 'Lombardi Sweep' down to the smallest detail. It sits right next to my '85 Bears 46-Defensive playbook. In my opinion, two of the best playbooks I own.

~Val

4. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +584
    The part in the documentary where Madden tells about how Lombardi lectured on the Packer Sweep for 8 hours was interesting.

"I thought I went in there knowing everything, I left thinking I knew nothing" (to paraphrase) Madden.

5. DTown SBrown

DTown SBrown Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +48
    best part of the doc was when they told the story of Lombardi picking up the Giants owner for dinner, then at the end, said "tomorrow, we are going to beat you."

He then got up and left, leaving Mara (?) sitting in the restaurant without a ride home.