Amish Mock Draft 2017

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bye
Shields
Starks
Peppers - So long and thanks for all the fish. Although he wants to return, I doubt TT is of a like mind.
Lang - TT doesn't like paying OG so much
Tretter - surprised by this
Lacy - too much risk
Hyde - Sorry to see him go

Sign
Cook 4 yrs - whatever it takes. Our #1 priority this offseason.
Perry - will continue to make an impact

FA
Davon House - He played well as a Packer. Was used differently in Jacksonville. Packers will take him back after getting few offers. He played well for us - we need some veteran help.

1. Christian McCaffery RB
- Originally I thought I would drop him a round based on his decision to sit out the bowl game. That is the only reason he drops to here. He is a very dynamic exciting player that will always keep defenses honest. This will do wonders for the passing game if we can punish any team with running or with passing - pick your poison. Our OL is not very good at run blocking but they excel in a unique version of pass blocking. Their style of pass blocking doesn't create nice passing pockets, but 'travel lanes' for Rodgers to move around in. McCaffery is a very quick twitch explosive guy who can get through these lanes explosively. Although I like Lacy - he is a bowling ball and Ty is a long strider. I like Ty, but he is not a bell-cow. We need a very versatile big play back. I know most would complain about the pick as being on the wrong side of the ball. You want to make our defense better? Keep them well rested on the sidelines and give them a 3 score cushion.

Other Option: TJ Watt OLB - If I had to put a wager on 1 guy to become a Packer it would be Watt. He is the perfect TT Pick. Later bloomer on the rise; played at a major school; high motor guy. TJ's best days are ahead of him. I expect him to develop into a very effective OLB in the NFL.

2. Fabian Moreau CB - we need to restock the shelf here. CB isn't as dire a need as many think. Randall and Rollins had sophomore slumps and had both looked better as rookies. Gunter was a surprise and has a good career ahead of him. Hawkins seems to have the coach’s confidence. But there are a few questions here and we need a few more bodies - can never have enough CBs.

3. Noah Brown WR Ohio - Suspect he will be gone by this point, but I think Noah was a late bloomer and he is about to really step up into something good. Still an ascending player getting better this last season and even improved through the season. I think his ceiling is fairly hgh.

4a. Tanoh Kpassagnon 5T Villanova. Amazing athlete. This is a big gamble as he played against inferior competition. Someone will fall in love with the guy and draft him in the 3rd. This guy is huge and athletic. He has the tools to be an absolute beast. Worth the gamble in the 4th.

Trade 5th and 6th for an early 5th

5a. Brendan Langley CB Lamar
- Worried about the competition he faced in college, but played very well at senior bowl - he looked like he belonged on a field with the best. A bit raw - but has a lot of upside.

Other option: Rasul Douglas CB west Virginia - Bit raw after only 1 year. Played 2 years in JC. Strong with long arms, his game is playing aggressive. Adam Shaheen TE – should be a very good all around TE. Great blocker already.

5b. Dawaune Smoot OLB
– Interesting player. Uber athlete who was an Olympic huddler. Needs to learn technique for the position and not rely on athletic ability. If it clicks, he could be a very interesting player.

7. Greg Pyke G Georgia. TT likes to convert those OTs into Guards. Our cupboard is pretty bare in the OG department. Other option: Kyle Kallis OG

I really should have come away with a higher OLB. There are a lot of them available this year.

Last edited:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the 2 options in round 1, especially McCaffrey. I have to say I have different opinion in what we draft, but I also hope we target Greg Pyke in rounds 6 or 7.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't like the McCaffrey pick that a lot of people seem so enthusiastic about. He's built like a receiver. Even Ty has more of an NFL RB body than he does. He's really, really good at what he does, but I don't think 'what he does' is going to be carry the ball 20 times in the NFL on the regular. That being said, though yes he is probably going to be a better player than Ty, I see him as being redundant given that we have Ty. The snaps you'd want to give Ty are the same type of snaps you'd want to give Christian.

The talent upgrade we'd achieve by drafting, say, a 1st round cornerback or edge rush talent is much larger than the upgrade we'd achieve drafting McCaffrey to take snaps from TyMont, imo.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think I'll participate this year, but I'm not afraid to kibitz. ;)

McCaffery did only 10 lifts at the Combine. That's toward the low end of WRs. I don't see any injury excuse noted. That's not an NFL RB number, especially not behind this line. You might slip and slide in college behind a good line, but in the NFL you gotta move the pile, shake tackles, drag guys or you end up a 3.0 or worse runner.

3rd. down pass catching back who can run the draw (which the Packers rarely do), maybe a slot receiver. That's what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I love McCaffrey as a player, but just can't get right with the idea that he would be a great move for the Packers. Too redundant to Montgomery (better, but similar) at a low value position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm definitely up for the draft 20 guys game after finally connecting for the first time last year. Can a blind squirrel find a nut two years in a row?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Amish Draft is THE event of the year! But I have to tell you, I'm still waiting on my prize from last year! Everytime I hear hooves coming up my street I get really excited, but it always turns out to be my neighbor from Holland taking his daily walk in clogs!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My early Mock looks like this:

1 Sidney Jones CB Washington Jr 6-0 186
1 **** Tabor CB Florida Jr 6-0 199
1 TreDavious White CB LSU Sr 5-11 192

2 Cordrea Tankersley CB Clemson Sr 6-1 199
2 Fabian Moreau CB UCLA rSr 6-0 206
2 Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado Sr 6-0 202

3 Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee Sr 5-11 188
3 Gareon Conley CB Ohio State rJr 6-0 195
3 Quincy Wilson CB Florida Jr 6-1 211

4 Rasul Douglas CB West Virginia rSr 6-2 209
4 Jalen Myrick CB Minnesota Sr 5-10 200
4 Howard Wilson CB Houston rSo 6-1 184

5 Brian Allen CB Utah rSr 6-3 215
5 Damontae Kazee CB San Diego State rSr 5-10 184
5 Corn Elder CB Miami (Fla.) Sr 5-10 183

6 Shaquill Griffin CB UCF Sr 6-0 194
6 Marquez White CB Florida State Sr 6-0 194
6 Channing Stribling CB Michigan Sr 6-1 188

7 Jeremy Clark CB Michigan rSr 6-3 220
7 Nate Hairston CB Temple rSr 6-0 196
7 Jeremy Cutrer CB Middle Tennessee Sr 6-1 170

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Sidney Jones blew out his knee. Probably won't have to reach for him in the 1st.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 reps, but I hear you in the score. You could give me 10 and I'd find a way to get that to zero when it comes to the draft

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I hope for your sake some of those guys are safeties or basketball players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sidney Jones blew out his knee. Probably won't have to reach for him in the 1st.

Jones suffered a torn Achilles at Washington's pro day. With the Packers needing a player capable of having an impact from week 1 on I would prefer Thompson to pass on him early in the draft.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Version 2

TRADE!
Our 1st for 2nd and 3rd of Arizona. AZ stated they want a QB of the future from this draft, getting back into the 1st gives them a 5th year option and their choice at the sliding QBs.

2a (45) CB Quincy Wilson - the last of the 2nd tier CBs. Packers gamble that of CBs Wilson, Moreau, King (WA), Awuzie, Tankersly, Jackson, or Witherspoon one of them should be at 45. Else OLB would be the pick.

2b Jordan Willis OLB Kansas State Very athletic guy with lots of upside. Shows great motor but needs to learn more pass rush moves if he is going to succeed in the NFL. Can be brought along slowly subbing in for Perry or CM3. Or if he makes some strides early, move Clay inside on passing downs.

3a Chris Godwin WR Penn State. People are sleeping on this guy. He has what it takes to do well at the next level. Fast, quick, and technically sound, he is very effective in getting separation. I think he will have a very good pro career.

3b Howard Wilson CB Houston - 6'1" 190 lbs - Raw. Should have stayed in school, has 2 years of eligibility. Had he stayed in school, he could have helped himself with his draft stock. Especially as this is a deep draft for CBs. Very athletic and his skills were developing rapidly. (Between Rasul Douglas, Brendan Langley, and Wilson, I hope the Pack get at least one. All have the potential to develop and be shut down corners.)

4 Vincent Taylor 5T Oklahoma State - strong at point of attack with a great motor. So many of the mid range 5Ts have questions about their motors. Taylor is coarse with his skills, relying on strength and speed at the college level. If he learns leverage and some skills, he could be very effective.

5a Jessamen Dunker G Tennessee State - Big athletic man. Mauler who needs to be better at pass blocking. Will sit on the bench and learn for at least a year. Small school kid who looked impressive at senior bowl.

5b compensatory James Conner RB Pittsburgh - blew out his knee and did not look the same last season, although he looked better later in the season. Diagnosed with cancer as well. A feel good story. If he recovers from the knee and is cancer free - we have a great draft steal here. I really want a quick/shifty RB with great hands, but we never seem to go that route. So Conner is a TT pick - a power back with surprising moves and quickness. (RB Marlon Mack an option)

6 Ritchie Brown ILB Miss - good career, did well at senior bowl, but wasn't invited to combine

7 Demeterious Cox S Michigan State - has the right attitude and athletic abilities and now needs work on pass coverage skills.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nice swing there Amish.

I think Wilson checks a lot of the boxes for a Thompson corner, but when I watch him his stiffness kind of scares me. Can't fault the value there at 45 though.

On Anderson, I know that sometimes smart, tough guys succeed in the league despite lacking athleticism but I just can't ever see Thompson drafting him. He's so dramatically deficient in the traits that the Packers typically draft.

Godwin in the 3rd would be terrific, and Wilson is a nice prospect as well.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice swing there Amish.

I think Wilson checks a lot of the boxes for a Thompson corner, but when I watch him his stiffness kind of scares me. Can't fault the value there at 45 though.

On Anderson, I know that sometimes smart, tough guys succeed in the league despite lacking athleticism but I just can't ever see Thompson drafting him. He's so dramatically deficient in the traits that the Packers typically draft.

Godwin in the 3rd would be terrific, and Wilson is a nice prospect as well.
Okay, you talked me into it. I took out Anderson and subbed in Willis. He is the mirror of Anderson. Great athletic ability but not the skills. You are right, he can always learn skills, but Anderson will never learn athletic ability. I cold have sworn I read a piece on Willis that he had a gun charge out there, I must have read that about someone else.

Do you think the trade was worth it? In my scenario I was thinking Watt and Conley are gone.

I nearly put in Mixon in the 2nd. I really don't think it is such a bad idea. I would have to base it on conversations with him to see if he was on the straight and narrow.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Okay, you talked me into it. I took out Anderson and subbed in Willis. He is the mirror of Anderson. Great athletic ability but not the skills. You are right, he can always learn skills, but Anderson will never learn athletic ability. I cold have sworn I read a piece on Willis that he had a gun charge out there, I must have read that about someone else.

Do you think the trade was worth it? In my scenario I was thinking Watt and Conley are gone.

I nearly put in Mixon in the 2nd. I really don't think it is such a bad idea. I would have to base it on conversations with him to see if he was on the straight and narrow.

I've been giving Mixon some thought. I hate what he did and it's so hard for me to get past that. However, I have to ask myself-- say you have a CPA working an accounting gig. The guy hits a woman, goes through all the steps required by the law to pay for his actions and is let go from his job. Then a few years later, he's applying for other jobs. Am I really going to say that he can't ever have a job again?

At that point it would really be about trying to ascertain if he had reformed. But if he had, you kind of have to let him move on with life. What's hard for me, and others I'm sure, is the heinousness of hitting a woman and the fact that Mixon's particular career is going to bring him a lot of wealth. It's hard to reconcile that action with the reward of NFL money.

But ultimately that's just that nature of his skill set and the industry. I don't know. I still hate what happened, but if they feel like it was a one time mistake then I think I have to be ok with him moving on to his NFL career.

EDIT: On the trade-- who were the corners left at #29?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If you add Mixon to what is already in place on offense I really don't know how anybody would have a chance at stopping the Packers offense. He won't make it to late second round. They would either have to take him at 29 or trade up in second most likely.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you add Mixon to what is already in place on offense I really don't know how anybody would have a chance at stopping the Packers offense. He won't make it to late second round. They would either have to take him at 29 or trade up in second most likely.

Then I'd pass. I'm not spending a 1st or trading up for a 2nd with his baggage. If he's there at #61, that's a different situation.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Then I'd pass. I'm not spending a 1st or trading up for a 2nd with his baggage. If he's there at #61, that's a different situation.

If they did it right they could probably get Harris, Mixon, Sutton and get some OL and WR depth. Then like you posted in another thread go get McCourty.

Instead well probably miss out on every opportunity.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they did it right they could probably get Harris, Mixon, Sutton and get some OL and WR depth. Then like you posted in another thread go get McCourty.

Instead well probably miss out on every opportunity.

What is that last part supposed to mean?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He won't draft Mixon and he won't sign McCourty. He probably won't even draft Harris if he is on the board.

So if TT doesn't draft the guys you want or had in mind on draft day, are you going to declare the class a bust?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts