Alshon Jeffrey (empty sets)

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you all realize this was just a thought...

also it's "HOW" we would use someone like Alshon... his game and size and skillset fits perfectly with what we want to do

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think you all realize this was just a thought...

also it's "HOW" we would use someone like Alshon... his game and size and skillset fits perfectly with what we want to do

So what did you want to happen with the whole thread?

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could release Cobb and add him. Not saying it will ever happen but would be intriguing to say the least

They could draft Carlos Henderson to replace Cobb which i think would be an upgrade.

Even though I am the one who started the AP thread a Cobb release would not be crazy. But to add AJ would. Cobb has not done a whole lot very injury prone. We shall see but adding more offense will never fix that defense

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Releasing Cobb may be a $6.5m cap hit but it does free up another $6m+ to sign others. I'd expect Jeffrey to get something similar to what Cobb and Jordy get plus a bit more. Barring injuries Adams should be in that area also next year. Packers got a small hometown discount.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You OK with Cobb's $6.5m dead cap hit for this season?

I don't see TT eating that. Good to have a staple of receivers as we've seen what injuries can do there.

However if eating the 6.5 was in conjunction with getting a guy like AJ in then I'd be all for it.

"dead money" sometimes is the "cost of doing business".

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Even though I am the one who started the AP thread a Cobb release would not be crazy. But to add AJ would. Cobb has not done a whole lot very injury prone. We shall see but adding more offense will never fix that defense

I would prefer they trade up for mIke Williams.

D

Deleted member 6794

They could release Cobb and add him. Not saying it will ever happen but would be intriguing to say the least.

I don't consider releasing Cobb, a move that would result in significant dead money, to be a smart move this offseason.

Releasing Cobb may be a $6.5m cap hit but it does free up another $6m+ to sign others. I'd expect Jeffrey to get something similar to what Cobb and Jordy get plus a bit more. Barring injuries Adams should be in that area also next year. Packers got a small hometown discount.

I agree with Dantés that Adams won't get offered a similar contract as Nelson, Cobb or Jeffrey.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think most of you all understand this was posted mainly for "thoughts"...

Alshon IS available so it's possible he "CAN" come

He is best utilised working the middle of the field with Jared Cook and Cobb working in the middle. Leave Jordy and Davante on the OUTSIDE and on empty sets the Offense is undefensible(sp?)

I would trust Aaron to be smart and accurate enough to find SOMEONE open on EVERY down if that's the case

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I still don't think most of you all understand this was posted mainly for "thoughts"...

He is best utilised working the middle of the field with Jared Cook and Cobb working in the middle. Leave Jordy and Davante on the OUTSIDE and on empty sets the Offense is undefensible(sp?)

I would trust Aaron to be smart and accurate enough to find SOMEONE open on EVERY down if that's the case

Then trade up and draft Mike Williams to add depth with Allison. Score Score Score cause they ain't gonna stop anybody.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My "thoughts" on Jeffrey, although I'm not sure what you mean by "thought's" isn't that what everyone was posting? their thought, anyway, I'd love to see him here but not at the price he will command. we can't afford another 10 million plus WR on this team.

As far as cutting Cobb the question is can we replace him for 6 million dollars and I do not think we can. He will cost us that in dead money and any WR of his ability will cost at least that so we will eb paying 12 million for the position anyway so when all is said and done I'd prefer to keep Cobb.

No to trading up for Williams. Not that he wouldn't be great just that it would cost too much to get it done.

With Nelson another year recovered from his ACL and Adams seemingly recovered from his sophomore slump I'm much more comfortable with our WRs now than I was going into last season. Although there seem to be bigger questions after Nelson Cobb and Adams I think Allison showed at least as much promise as Abby and Janis did going into last year and even though we lost Montgomery to the backfield he is still a pass catching threat. A burner would be a nice addition but do we really need another excuse for AR to throw the ball deep when he has three guys open for the shorter completion. If we can retain Cook I'll be happy with the weapons we have on tap.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems that you don't understand the Packers would allocate way too much cap space to the wide receiver position in case they signed Jeffrey. There are several other more pressing needs to address on the roster.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seem to be a LOT of articles online about the possibility of him going to Green Bay

If he came, it wouldn't matter who their punter is...because they would NEVER punt lol
I could play Punter then

Could you imagine a 5 wide(Cook in the slot) set with Nelson and Adams outside and Cobb and Alshon working the middle with Cook ALSO working the middle as a mismatch against linebackers? lol (I actually run something similar on MUT 17 lol)

I think Aaron would break the completion percentage record and they would NEVER punt because they wouldn't have to

Just a thought

Put up very impressive stats in 2013 and 2014, not-so-much in 2015 and 2016, mostly due to injury and games missed. Green Bay has a lot of needs going into next season, WR not being one of them. Pass.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It seems that you don't understand the Packers would allocate way too much cap space to the wide receiver position in case they signed Jeffrey. There are several other more pressing needs to address on the roster.

What's the difference? Right now there allocating way to much money at ILB with Matthews.

If they can't put out a defense that can stop anybody then why not go "all in" on the offense?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Any talk of the Packers signing Jefferies is right up there with talking about signing a high priced Offensive Tackle. Why do we need to shell out $13-15M for a WR and in doing so, probably not be able to effectively address the real needs which are on the other side of the ball? As Captain has pointed out numerous times, with the amount of Cap being spent on Jordy and Cobb, this would make no sense. Not to mention we still haven't signed Cook, Adams rookie contract is up at the end of 2017 and Allison would essentially see no playing time.

D

Deleted member 6794

What's the difference? Right now there allocating way to much money at ILB with Matthews.

If they can't put out a defense that can stop anybody then why not go "all in" on the offense?

The Packers spending most of the available cap space on defense by signing a veteran cornerback and edge rusher would most likely result in more significant overall improvement than adding another wide receiver in Jeffrey.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Packers spending most of the available cap space on defense by signing a veteran cornerback and edge rusher would most likely result in more significant overall improvement than adding another wide receiver in Jeffrey.

I think most of us know what will improve the team overall.

Let's see if "Mr.Stubborn" will do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts