ALL recent another head coach options merged-- preMM firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was working until Rams or charger game that year.. They were 5 n 0 to start the year.

Rodgers hurt the same knee that game the same knee he hurt this year. You won't find it listed but I know for a fact he hurt it.

After that it started to go down hill and mm took over play calls

I do recall at some point every one wanted mm to take calls back.. And when he did, nothing got better..I pointed it out at the time..

Rodgers had surgery on that knee when season ended.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/mccarthy-admits-a-mistake-sort-of.66698/page-2#

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-29#
I don’t agree.. go back and look at the comments in here from earlier in that year. Yes the packers went 6-0 before the slump... but the offense did not look good. The comments in here will reflect that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've got a lot of faith in Gute but I'm not convinced if one offseason will be enough to right this ship. Especially if a coaching change is going to be made.

I think if Gutekunst is able to adequately address edge rusher and safety next offseason the Packers turn into legit contenders again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think if Gutekunst is able to adequately address edge rusher and safety next offseason the Packers turn into legit contenders again.
I would add....and "someone" fixes the offense. Whether it is with a new player(s) or a new scheme. Maybe having Rodgers at 100% will be enough, but our 3-4-1 record can be blamed equally on a sputtering offense. The hard part is "on paper" this is a pretty good offense, but on the field, its not that special.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would add....and "someone" fixes the offense. Whether it is with a new player(s) or a new scheme. Maybe having Rodgers at 100% will be enough, but our 3-4-1 record can be blamed equally on a sputtering offense. The hard part is "on paper" this is a pretty good offense, but on the field, its not that special.

I expect the offense to click at any point. There's definitely reason to be optimstic about the unit for next season though as Gutekunst won't tolerate them not performing up to expectations without making a move to improve whatever needs to be done.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t agree.. go back and look at the comments in here from earlier in that year. Yes the packers went 6-0 before the slump... but the offense did not look good. The comments in here will reflect that.
15 tds for Rodgers in 6 games.. Not to bad? As I said then.. National media was ******* him as the MVP.. To me play calling had to be good.

That's my opinion.. Doesn't mean I'm right and your wrong

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take an offense that doesn't look good at 6-0 over an offense that looks unstoppable at 5-1, but that's just my opinion.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can give a summary of those comments: It was all smoke and mirrors, with Rodgers getting a free play TD in each of those 6 games by drawing a team offsides.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can give a summary of those comments: It was all smoke and mirrors, with Rodgers getting a free play TD in each of those 6 games by drawing a team offsides.

A bone he continues to chew on and tries to get that last remaining morsel, to the detriment of the team in my opinion. Was a great and successful idea when it was new and fresh, but it seems like he is so focused on trying to do this on almost every play, that it creates problems for his own offense.
  1. Running the play clock down to zero and being forced into taking a timeout or delay of game.
  2. Causing your own players to twitch and be called for illegal procedure.
  3. AR using his mental resources on attempting to draw the defense off sides, when he should just be looking over the defense and calling an audible if need be.
  4. Opponents are fully away that this is AR's M.O. and aren't biting on it nearly as often as they once did.
I have no clue how much time the offense spends each week working on these "trick" snap counts, but personally I think AR has milked this Cow for all it has and its time to move on. Maybe save it for a few key moments in a game (3rd and 4), but its gotten old and predictable and I view the negatives outweighing the positives at this point. Would much rather see AR get everyone lined up fast, snap it fast and keep defenses on their heels by not giving them time to substitute or rest just waiting for that ball to finally be snapped when the play clock hits 0.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Under McDaniels and Orton, the Broncos jumped out to a surprising 6–0 start in 2009. However, the team lost eight of their next ten games, finishing 8–8 for a second consecutive season and missing the playoffs. The next season (2010), the Broncos set a new franchise record for losses in a single season, with a 4–12 record.[25] McDaniels was fired before the end of the 2010 season following a combination of the team's poor record and the fallout from a highly publicized videotaping scandal.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am so sick of hearing Josh McDaniels name in this discussion. He just got a monster 5 year contract in New England, that pays him essentially exactly what we would as a head coach. He is not going anywhere. So now that we got that out of the way...A realistic option, I would actually like to see is Matt LaFluer or Pete Carmichael.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the offense to click at any point. There's definitely reason to be optimstic about the unit for next season though as Gutekunst won't tolerate them not performing up to expectations without making a move to improve whatever needs to be done.
The offense could still click. All the pieces are there. I’d like to see a fewer sacks, but all-in-all, the problems this year (for the most part) haven’t been with the offense and, as of right now, don’t see any big holes on O that can’t be easily fixed.

Defense is another story. The DL has been good for a few years now, but that’s about it. The CB group has made some real progress this year. But the Safety Group and OLB/Edge Rusher group has been weak and unreliable. Perry has been literally missing (injury, again), and if I didn’t notice his hair flying around I’d guess CMIII wasn’t even playing. And a few good games from Fackrell, while certainly welcome, doesn’t solve the greater problem.

Agreed that Gluten won’t put up with it. Assuming CMIII and Cobb are gone next year, along with their cap hit, the Packers can afford to add talent via FA. The draft is rumored to be packed with rushers. I hate to be talking about next season so soon, but let’s face it, the playoffs are way back in the rear view mirror.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Payton
112-76 overall record (.596),
7-5 postseason mark (.583)

Mike

124–74–2 (.625)
Postseason:
10–8 (.556)

Payton has gotten MUCH more out of his players' talent than McCarthy has, in my opinion. Ted's faults be damned, the Packers have continually had a top-half roster in pretty much every season during McCarthy's tenure. Meanwhile, New Orleans has fielded some pretty terrible and really shallow rosters.

Also, Payton has put a viable offensive system around Brees in which Brees can be optimally successful despite lacking the height, mobility, and arm strength of some of his contemporaries. Meanwhile, since at least the 2015 season, the Packers' offensive scheme has been "drop Aaron back, let the play break down, extend the play, and then throw downfield." And it's been terrible for sustaining any kind of offensive rhythm, which is why Aaron's completion percentage has been very mediocre since 2014: because no sort of offensive rhythm is ever reached outside of the 2-minute drill.

EDIT: With that said, I agree with the poster that said character matters. For that reason alone, I would not want Payton. And I've said the same thing about great players who I wouldn't want on the team because I wouldn't want to cheer for them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My initial list of preferred options is:
  1. John Harbaugh, HC, BAL (if fired)
  2. John Defilippo, OC, MIN
  3. Bruce Arians, HC, FA (if he comes out of retirement)
  4. Dan Campbell, AHC/TE, NO
  5. Dave Toub, AHC/ST, KC
  6. Eric Bieniemy, OC, KC
I’m not sold on the college options with zero NFL background. Scuh-ROOOOO McDaniels— he’s a worthless snake and BB’s coaching tree is a dumpster fire. I’m not enamored of the other Harbaugh brother— he seems fairly insane. David Shaw has that NFL background, but he’s way too conservative to me (one of the reasons I think MM needs to go is his insistence on old school decision making). LaFleur is a popular name, but I don’t see that he’s done enough in Tennessee to merit consideration. Todd Monken is another name that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me— are we really looking to hire off of the Dirk Koetter tree?

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
Bill has a cousin? What are you smoking? Why would Bill Belichick leave New England? He is 66, basically the Patriots GM and head coach, highly successful in New England, he isn't downgrading and going anywhere.

You mean like Vince Lamberti leaving GB after our win streak??

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the year Vince had with the Pack when Phil took over before moving on to Washington.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My initial list of preferred options is:
  1. John Harbaugh, HC, BAL (if fired)
  2. John Defilippo, OC, MIN
  3. Bruce Arians, HC, FA (if he comes out of retirement)
  4. Dan Campbell, AHC/TE, NO
  5. Dave Toub, AHC/ST, KC
  6. Eric Bieniemy, OC, KC
I’m not sold on the college options with zero NFL background. Scuh-ROOOOO McDaniels— he’s a worthless snake and BB’s coaching tree is a dumpster fire. I’m not enamored of the other Harbaugh brother— he seems fairly insane. David Shaw has that NFL background, but he’s way too conservative to me (one of the reasons I think MM needs to go is his insistence on old school decision making). LaFleur is a popular name, but I don’t see that he’s done enough in Tennessee to merit consideration. Todd Monken is another name that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me— are we really looking to hire off of the Dirk Koetter tree?
Funny isn’t it how unproductive the BB “coaching tree” has been? BB IS the stick that stirs the drink. Still, it’s odd that all those ex-Pat coaches wouldn’t have learned something.

I hadn’t thought about John Harbaugh. I like that. He is, IMO, more focused on the defensive side of the game, but that’s why HC’s have OCs, DCs, and STCs. Bruce Arians is also intriguing, but I think it’s too soon to expect him to come back, although the HC job in GB will be coveted. I do like Jim Harbaugh. I lived in Nor Cal when he coached the Niners and he turned that ship around. He does seem to be nuts, but I’d welcome the energy on the GB sideline. His problem in SF was that he couldn’t get along with the Yorks, hardly a demerit. And let’s face it, he’s produced wherever he’s gone. I wouldn’t be disappointed if he were to replace MM.

As far as a coach straight out of the NCAA with zero NFL experience, no thanks. Let them learn somewhere else. I’m not sold on Defilippo. Seems like the gains in Minnesota have come from the defense, not the offense, but I honestly don’t know enough about the guy to have an opinion.

The other guy on your list I like is Campbell. Anyway, thanks for putting this together. This will be a BIG topic on the forum in the coming months.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the year Vince had with the Pack when Phil took over before moving on to Washington.
The Bengston years. How could we forget? But after Lombardi, there was nowhere to go but down. In the case of Phil, just not THAT far down..... I’d rather see someone from outside the Packers organization. GB desperately needs a new perspective from the next HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts