ALL recent another head coach options merged-- preMM firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Don’t flatter yourself. I clicked your profile prior. It was a sarcastic jab. Obviously you and Buffy are twins in thought and attitude. Btw... I’m straight up only answering the two of you gals insults. Haven’t started anything, but I’m certainly not running away from anything. You two stop... I stop. Simple as that.
Yeah. You ain't ready to step into the ring with the heavy weights.

Maybe some day, sport.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t see the need for a new head coach if we did this: MM gives up play calling, but not to one of his subordinates, rather bring in an OC with new ideas and schemes. I agree that our game plans are no longer working well. If we were to bring in an innovative HC I now would be ok, but I think an innovative OC that can actually call the plays would work too.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t see the need for a new head coach if we did this: MM gives up play calling, but not to one of his subordinates, rather bring in an OC with new ideas and schemes. I agree that our game plans are no longer working well. If we were to bring in an innovative HC I now would be ok, but I think an innovative OC that can actually call the plays would work too.
A little confused by this... what would be the point in retaining McCarthy under this scenario?

Last edited:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is a good head coach, but play calling has become stale. An innovative OC would be able to take advantage of our play makers on offense. If he is not willing to get a play caller from outside his own coaches, I have no issue replacing him with a young stud offensive mind. Not as play caller or as HC. Let MM oversee both the DC and OC. My only issue now is him calling the plays. I am tired of our offense. But replacing his play calling is good enough for me.

Hpsauce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little confused by this... what would be the point in retaining McCarthy under this scenario?

I know head coaching duties are not limited to play calling. Usually it is an OC that would call the plays from their perch in the box (better view of the play).

I wasn't aware that MM did all the play calling. If that's the case then this might actually be a situation where someone is overwhelmed with their work load and the job preformance is lacking as a result.

I think the play calling is limited to Rodger's mobility, and the lack of veteran receivers. Seems like Adams is the only one able to improvise on the fly, totally abandon a route and read off of Rodger's. I think MVS has some chops, but still learning.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know head coaching duties are not limited to play calling. Usually it is an OC that would call the plays from their perch in the box (better view of the play).

I wasn't aware that MM did all the play calling. If that's the case then this might actually be a situation where someone is overwhelmed with their work load and the job preformance is lacking as a result.

I think the play calling is limited to Rodger's mobility, and the lack of veteran receivers. Seems like Adams is the only one able to improvise on the fly, totally abandon a route and read off of Rodger's. I think MVS has some chops, but still learning.
McCarthy has given up play calling in the past. This did not improve the performance of the offense.

Ken smith

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. You ain't ready to step into the ring with the heavy weights.

Maybe some day, sport.
Aw, yet another little girl living their fantasy tough guy life in a dark little room typing anonymously into a keyboard. Good god, it’s a discussion board about packers. Where do you losers come from?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
ENOUGH of the innuendo, slams, and off topic attacks!!!
If you can't play nice, ignore one another. <<< Button for ignore is over there. If this is out of your capabilities, I'll arrange to make it permanent.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at how many assistants a HC has hired from under him to be either HC's or coordinators for other teams,that should be a good litmus test for the current HC. Holmgren had Gruden,Andy Reid to name a couple coaches that went on to be successful. Only coach I can think of that was hired away under MM's tenure so far is McAdoo,and we saw that train wreck in New York. Not saying MM is bad coach or a bad guy,I just think Aaron has made him and the other coaches look better than they are.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The execution of the plays is far more an issue than the play calls.

McCarthy as a whole is stale. I think he was a good coach for a while, but it’s time for a new coach.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at how many assistants a HC has hired from under him to be either HC's or coordinators for other teams,that should be a good litmus test for the current HC. Holmgren had Gruden,Andy Reid to name a couple coaches that went on to be successful. Only coach I can think of that was hired away under MM's tenure so far is McAdoo,and we saw that train wreck in New York. Not saying MM is bad coach or a bad guy,I just think Aaron has made him and the other coaches look better than they are.

In that case, Belichick doesn’t have a stellar coaching tree. Should we credit Brady for making Belly?

And of course Rodgers has made MM look better. That’s what elite players do.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that case, Belichick doesn’t have a stellar coaching tree. Should we credit Brady for making Belly?

And of course Rodgers has made MM look better. That’s what elite players do.
While not highly successful,Crennel had a tenure as a NFL head coach and was the coach that engineered a D to stop our high flying offense in 2011,Weiss was so so at Notre Dame,(college I know) McDaniel coached at Denver,Patricia is at Detroit now,and one of Belichick’s former players is a HC now. BTW I wasn’t comparing MM to Belichick,I was just making a point that either MM hasn’t surrounded himself great coordinators or he hasn’t made his coordinators better.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Sean Payton is part of a better season right now, so the obvious choice is him. Just like we should be more like the Eagles, the Broncos, the Seahawks, the Steelers, the whoever is winning and we need a coach like them too. 4 weeks ago we need to be more like the Rams and with McVay, but today we need to have Sean Payton. I think we just need to play better and get another couple players too.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What team have you been watching for the past several years? This is what the Packers have been known for. If Rodgers is ordinary, the Packers do nothing. If he's great, we're contenders.

Like it or not, this has been the Green Bay Packers.

That was kind of point I was going for. We don't have a team that can compete unless our QB is playing at a god tier level.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now maybe I heard them wrong, but I swear one of them said it weighed 92 pounds! If that is true, I'm shocked he could even still run.

I definitely agree the knee injury has hampered Rodgers but there's no way one of the braces he used weighed anywhere close to 92 pounds.

Only coach I can think of that was hired away under MM's tenure so far is McAdoo,and we saw that train wreck in New York.

Philbin was hired as the Dolphins head coach after the Packers offense put up impressive numbers in 2011. He wasn't siccessful either though.

That was kind of point I was going for. We don't have a team that can compete unless our QB is playing at a god tier level.

There's no doubt that Thompson's last few drafts left the team with a lack of overall talent. It will take Gutekunst at least another offseason to make up for it.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has given up play calling in the past. This did not improve the performance of the offense.
But didn't that last only a handful of games? It's hard to create a successful system when it's not given a fair chance.

D

Deleted member 6794

But didn't that last only a handful of games? It's hard to create a successful system when it's not given a fair chance.

Clements was the play caller for the first 12 games of the 2015 season with the Packers mostly struggling over that period. I agree it's a small sample site but in my opinion if fans are advocating for replacing McCarthy in that role while hiring someone from the outside there's no reason to retain him as head coach.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt that Thompson's last few drafts left the team with a lack of overall talent. It will take Gutekunst at least another offseason to make up for it.

I've got a lot of faith in Gute but I'm not convinced if one offseason will be enough to right this ship. Especially if a coaching change is going to be made.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It was working until Rams or charger game that year.. They were 5 n 0 to start the year.

Rodgers hurt the same knee that game the same knee he hurt this year. You won't find it listed but I know for a fact he hurt it.

After that it started to go down hill and mm took over play calls

I do recall at some point every one wanted mm to take calls back.. And when he did, nothing got better..I pointed it out at the time..

Rodgers had surgery on that knee when season ended.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/mccarthy-admits-a-mistake-sort-of.66698/page-2#

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-29#

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I've got a lot of faith in Gute but I'm not convinced if one offseason will be enough to right this ship. Especially if a coaching change is going to be made.
Yep.

With Rodgers we always have a chance, but it’s going to take a little more time to remove the stink that Ted Thompson left this team with. If Gute has another offseason or two like this past one, the Packers will be true contenders again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online