Ahmad Carroll

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On this and several other sites, many are making a comparison between Carroll and Terrell Buckley. C'mon...let's give ol' T-Buck a break...while he had not panned out for us as a starter, he has had a very productive 15 year career as a starter and nickle/dime back. Carroll is going to be lucky to stay in the league by discounting his coaching and alienating teammates.

Never in my life did I think I would defend Terrell Buckley, but 15 years in the NFL says alot about the person and the player.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Carroll better get this whole "professional" part of the NFL down in a hurry; otherwise he'll be finding something else to do with his life. Terrell Buckley showed flashes for the Packers, but he never was the dominant shut-down corner he was thought to be. A 15 year NFL career does say alot though!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
believe me, I'm as frustrated w/ Carroll as anyone, but shouldn't we give him a little bit of a chance? Already comparing him to T-buck (who although had a decent career, sucked in GB), and even some trade wishes on this board! I know he sucked last year, and acted like a yahoo all minicamp, but isn't it a smidge early to say he was a completely useless flop?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure neither the system nor the coaching has Carroll holding all the time but I do agree with musccy that it may be premature to write off Carroll. I know that I am not doing that but I just think that it shouldn't take too much longer for him to figure out what being "coachable" is and that he needs to be more receptive to it or he'll be on the outside looking in. When I say that, I mean looking in to the entire league and not just GB. I wish him the best for the Packers sake.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmad Carroll will have to be evaluated right thru into the preseason games.

If he can't cut it, that's when he will be cut or used as a nickle or dime back.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think AC has the god given talent but an attitude like that will kill more than his career. I hope for the Pack's sake that someone can show him the light. I don't care how talented a player is, if they have a sh!!y attitude they will spoil the barrel. I feel that the combo of Slowik and Shitenheimer did not help matters for the development of this guy, so I'll give him a pass last year. After reading Flanny's quote about the guy I hope he comes to his senses quick, or it'll be one and done.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea digs....I think it is unfair to both of them. I'm sure Carroll would love to last as long as T-buck. On the other hand Carroll's career has really yet to begin. I still think he could develop into a top notch corner.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be willing to let Carroll go right now..

Let's give the Locker Room some fresh air for a change....

No more Sharper - now Hunt is almost gone... then this grabby hands Carroll starts getting full of himself.. Locker Room unrest is NOT what they need now...

Let the sucker go off to the Raiders.... works for me!

swartzcatz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he needs a chance to adjust to the NFL rules about how you can "cover" a reciever. He got burned (penallized) alot on cover plays last year and I think he was picked on allot by the officials, which made him gun shy. We'll see how he adjusts to a new coaching and "D" scheme. He aught to be given a chance to back his mouth up. We gave "T Buck" three years people.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not unusual for a high draft pick to be all full of themselves as their whole life they've been coddled as they usually have great talent. On teams with fewer talented individuals they tend to shine brighter then their abilities deserve and they rarely have to accommodate themselves to a system that employs all members of a team. Once drafted they either learn quickly they aren't the hot-shot they've been raised to believe they are and settle down into learning what's required of a team player or they become the cancer that eats away at the team concept. Carroll will be given the opportunity to change but, if by the end of this pre-season he's still antagonistic to learning it's time to kiss his talents goodbye.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For anything positive to happen with Carroll he will first have to change his attitude. Hopefully Bates or one of the coaches can get that done. Too bad we don't have any strong leaders on the defense that could straighten him out.

Last year, when confronted by a reporter, he said he is not going to change the way he plays. That the attitude change I'm referring to. Obviously he has not changed at this point because Bates yanked him off the field for using his hands.

I hope they can turn him around as it would be good for the team and he is a talent. But if they can get somethin of value it would not bother me at all to see him traded either.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T-Buck may have been one of those players who saved their career by the proverbial "change of scenery". Much like Carroll, he came to Green Bay with a brash attitude, but his play didn't back up his words. I can't recall if he was traded or just released, but for some players, that rejection turns into a reality check and they realize they are NOT the next Jim Thorpe. They start listening to the coaches, study film and do whatever's necessary to become a better player. I hope this is not going to be the case with Carroll. We need all the talent we can get in the defensive backfield, but if he's not going to change his attitude, he'll do more harm than good. I'm sure Carroll has read some of the unflattering things being said about him. I wonder what he thinks about it? If he thinks "I don't give a sh*t what anybody says. I'm a 1st round draft choice!", then we've got a problem on our hands. On the other hand, if he would get it through his thick skull that he still has a lot to learn, there may still be some hope.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know...all the talent in the world. Kid's just gotta grow up, open his eyes/ears and shut his trap. I like brashness in CBs...but this is a bit much.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should bring T-Buck in to talk to Carroll. If it works, at least we will have salvaged some value from T-Buck after all these years. :beer:

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is an attitude that all great players have that they can't be beat. Some call it arrogance, but it is an important part of being a great player. Every great player knows they're great and they carry themselves differently than average players do. The problem with Carroll is that he has the arrogance, but he's not playing like a great player yet. If they can calm that attitude down and get him to understand that he's not there yet, then he has a chance to get better, but not until.
Buckley and Carroll have one thing in common that is always a hindrance against great receivers, and that is their height. They better be fast, they better get good position and they better be able to jump. Neither of those two guys have shown good hands.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll's attitude problem does not stem from an " I can't get beat" thing. It stems from his problem obviously being his use of hands and his attitude that he will not change. This despite what coaches tell him. Like the NFL should change their rules just for him or the refs should just not call it on him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts