Adrian Peterson vs Jones/williams

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. Click bait.

I wanted to point out how our starvation for a run game has made Aaron Jones stats seem great. When a old work horse like Adrian Peterson (last week vs Washington) was basically the same stats.

175 carries 779 yds currently for Jones.
167 carries 718 yds currently for Peterson . I was going to also convienently forget the TD stat where Jones is clearing double digits tds to just 3 from Peterson.

But before the big game by Jones. Jones and Peterson's stats were very similar(subtract the tds)... And it made me wonder...

Are we that starved for a running game? That a (at the time) Jones and his mid-600 yds rushing. Has greenbay fans talking probowl?

Jones then belted out a beautiful hundred plus yd game and made the arguement a bit more legitimate... He could/should hit 1000 yds rushing this year. And should be a legitimate probowl option. Imho.

Williams stats added to a duo stat line. And we have our running game. Legitimate.
Williams 93 carries/401 yds rushing.

Total 268 rushes and 1180 yds through 13 games.... And 13 rushing tds to boot. And a receiving threat from the backfield has emerged...

So yeah. I see the reason for excitement. Jones looks good. Williams too. Stats look good .all is up and up.....

But...

Room for improvement? Hell yeah. Imo.
No way should we be so stoked to BARELY beat an Adrian Peterson who many here claimed was over the hill a better part of a decade ago.....

Id say we need to consider adding another rb to the group. Another good one. Raise the level of competition.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The foundation of this offense is the ability to pass efficiently out of running game personnel and the ability to run efficiently out of passing game personnel. In other words, it requires players who can serve in both phases.

Aaron Jones is one of the most impressive receiving backs in the NFL, and Jamaal Williams is very capable. Adrian Peterson is very limited as a receiver. There is no comparison between Jones and Peterson. Jones is the vastly superior player, especially in this offense.

The better statistical comparison would be:

Jones: 220 touches, 1204 yards from scrimmage, 5.5 yds/touch
Peterson: 178 touches, 816 yards from scrimmage, 4.6 yds/touch

And that doesn't even touch on the bigger issue-- the limitations to an offense that a player like Peterson brings vs. the possibilities of someone with a varied skillset like Jones.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The foundation of this offense is the ability to pass efficiently out of running game personnel and the ability to run efficiently out of passing game personnel. In other words, it requires players who can serve in both phases.

Aaron Jones is one of the most impressive receiving backs in the NFL, and Jamaal Williams is very capable. Adrian Peterson is very limited as a receiver. There is no comparison between Jones and Peterson. Jones is the vastly superior player, especially in this offense.

The better statistical comparison would be:

Jones: 220 touches, 1204 yards from scrimmage, 5.5 yds/touch
Peterson: 178 touches, 816 yards from scrimmage, 4.6 yds/touch

And that doesn't even touch on the bigger issue-- the limitations to an offense that a player like Peterson brings vs. the possibilities of someone with a varied skillset like Jones.
Sure, but I see where OP is coming from. As great as AJ is as a receiver, he is not much of a leg churner and will too often fail to get the 2/3 yards needed on a 3th or 4th down. He is not the prototypical RB so to speak.

Williams is capable, but I'd rather see him as our 3rd option. It would be great if we find a downhill runner to complement AJ. An Ingram/Henry/Fournette kind a guy who opposing defenses will fear when he runs towards them with a full head of steam.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the Rocky Balboa movie, where at 55 he comes back to battle the heavyweight champ for ten rounds. Bad movie. However, we are comparing one of the Top 10 RBs of all time in AP to Aaron Jones, who to the OP's point, is not in that league. As Dantes perfectly pointed out, Jones' value comes in his ability to pass and catch. He's a jack of all trades but master of none. AP was a great runner, terrible pass catcher and not much of a blocker either. There is a reason that the Vikings never won the trophy with AP. For as great as he was, he hampered the passing game and that is a back-breaker in modern football.

I'd love to see better stats out of Jones, but he is what he is. Our O-line can be special in pass protection, but has never poked it's head above average in the running game. Toss in some bad run blocking from the TE position and you have our running attack.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sure, but I see where OP is coming from. As great as AJ is as a receiver, he is not much of a leg churner and will too often fail to get the 2/3 yards needed on a 3th or 4th down. He is not the prototypical RB so to speak.

Williams is capable, but I'd rather see him as our 3rd option. It would be great if we find a downhill runner to complement AJ. An Ingram/Henry/Fournette kind a guy who opposing defenses will fear when he runs towards them with a full head of steam.

If you get a one dimensional back like Peterson, then you broadcast your intentions every time that player subs in. I'm not interested in one dimensional backs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you get a one dimensional back like Peterson, then you broadcast your intentions every time that player subs in. I'm not interested in one dimensional backs.

I'd argue that unless they are premiere pass blockers you HAVE to have a multi-dimensional back IMO

Members online

Latest posts