Adams won't play on tag.....****...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

And this is probably the massive delay in Rodgers signing the actual deal....

I'm convinced Rodgers will sign his new contract before the start of the new league year on Wednesday at 4pm ET.

Most likely you don't want to hear it but you will need to relax on Adams' deal for quite some time though. The sides have until July 15th to sign a long-term deal and I don't expect anything to happen until that deadline comes close.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced Rodgers will sign his new contract before the start of the new league year on Wednesday at 4pm ET.

Most likely you don't want to hear it but you will need to relax on Adams' deal for quite some time though. The sides have until July 15th to sign a long-term deal and I don't expect anything to happen until that deadline comes close.

I don't want that looming, not for a second. I do expect Rodgers to sign, we agree 100% there. As for Adams if camps are truly too far apart I will not let it get ugly if I'm Gute, the second it appears zero reasonable resolution can be had - I'm doing Adams and the organization right and trading. Call the Raiders and ask for a Day 2 + Bryan Edwards and call it a day.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't want that looming, not for a second. I do expect Rodgers to sign, we agree 100% there. As for Adams if camps are truly too far apart I will not let it get ugly if I'm Gute, the second it appears zero reasonable resolution can be had - I'm doing Adams and the organization right and trading. Call the Raiders and ask for a Day 2 + Bryan Edwards and call it a day.

You really need to stop overreacting to news like that.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really need to stop overreacting to news like that.

LOL

I'm not overreacting. I'm saying what I would do if in Gute's shoes and ONLY IF I felt there was a real chance of hitting 2022 without Adams playing but with Adams on the team. I'm not doing that, I'm not risking that with Rodgers as my QB and so much invested in pushing money for a 2022 run.

I don't know where the sides are. You don't know. No one here knows...and most likely none of these insiders that are "reporting sources" don't know.

I wouldn't be shocked if we hear about an Adams four year contract worked out today, or an announcement that Packers are fielding calls about trading Adams.

Saying what I'd do IF it is not going to work, is not pretending anything is a lock.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is the crucial part of what I said.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Organization has dug this hole and now they're going to be forced to pay Adams more than they want. Gute has left the receiver room bereft of decent receivers outside of Adams and has no fall-back option if Adams doesn't play. I'm not passing judgement on Gute's job in drafting/free agency, just stating the reality that the receiving room is barren other than Adams. Supply-and-demand is still the basic reality of economics and the Packers have no supply of good receivers outside Adams. Packers have very little leverage in trying to call any bluff from Adams.

I am vehemently opposed to trading Adams because that's basically trading away any shot at a Super Bowl this year. Some might disagree but I think it's worth paying a few million more per season to be a Super Bowl contender now rather than hoping some draft picks might help in 3-4 years when the best QB in NFL history is no longer on the team.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't cared about individual players for decades, ever since I could no longer comprehend their compensation. However, just factually, everything I've read said the Pack can't trade Adams. Can they?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't cared about individual players for decades, ever since I could no longer comprehend their compensation. However, just factually, everything I've read said the Pack can't trade Adams. Can they?

Yes you can...however there would be a very tight window of course now for it not to need to be covered on our 2022 books (his cap cost for the tag that is)...and is just tough to pull off due to compensation back also....

@captainWIMM would be best to explain timings and such on the forum for sure on details.

this article does okay at explaining tag types and such https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...es-values-rules-2022/zl129ixw0r3zlvglaiasuggp

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I believe you are correct as he would have to first sign the franchise tag. It is likely that a trade would have to be worked out & that team come to terms with Davante before he would sign the tag.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to chill. This is nothing but posturing for a better contract.

LOL Folks also need to not assume anyone is "flipping out" or "opposite of chilling" over this. I'm not worried about it that much at this point. More true details from either side will no doubt come at some point and we will learn if there is any meat on this bone.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to chill. Adams is posturing for a better contract. This is standard operating procedure. You can start to worry on July 14th.
This^. Negotiating 101. Plus, consider the source being Rapoport, who's goal is to be first, not accurate.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This^. Negotiating 101. Plus, consider the source being Rapoport, who's goal is to be first, not accurate.

Actually he said it was according to GMFB. Time will tell what if any kind of teeth there is actually to this.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve heard this 100 times for players who get the tag. They don’t want it because it lacks security in terms of injuries or some type of decline in play.

It would be a total beta male move if Gutey would buckle to Adams claims that he won’t play. I can’t remember a player getting tagged and holding out the entire year. They always come back at some point to prove themselves for their next contract. It would really make the Packers look weak to trade him instead of waiting it out. He might miss OTAs and camp but he doesn’t really need it either.

Bringing back Rodgers and trading Adams would be as stupid as… well… trading up for a QB in the first round when you already have one.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve heard this 100 times for players who get the tag. They don’t want it because it lacks security in terms of injuries or some type of decline in play.

It would be a total beta male move if Gutey would buckle to Adams claims that he won’t play. I can’t remember a player getting tagged and holding out the entire year. They always come back at some point to prove themselves for their next contract. It would really make the Packers look weak to trade him instead of waiting it out. He might miss OTAs and camp but he doesn’t really need it either.

Bringing back Rodgers and trading Adams would be as stupid as… well… trading up for a QB in the first round when you already have one.

Paying a guy that tag price that isn't on the field would be far worse IMO. I don't think that happens so neither of us have to worry about that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Laveon Bell held out for Pittsburgh and there were a few others but you are right, most come back to get credit for the season.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just my point of view...aaron needs to structure the contract so that the Packers can pay Adams.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

And this is probably the massive delay in Rodgers signing the actual deal....
It's all good....Rodgers indecisiveness has just forced the Packers front office to work harder and faster.

So now the Packers wait on Davante and if people don't think that is that big of a deal, it actually is. Due to Rodgers saying "yes" to staying, it appears that the moves Gute is now making, are ones that put the Packers all in for a run at a Super Bowl. How is that run going to go without Davante? Meanwhile, the Packers decisions on players will kick in some of the roster bonuses when the new league year starts.

Sure, the Packers and Davante have plenty of time to figure things out, but the Packers are totally up against it, if they go into Free Agency thinking Davante will eventually cave and he doesn't. Much like waiting on Rodgers Decision, the Packers are letting 1 player influence their moves with the roster.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing I know given what appears from all the pieces, posts and interviews with Davante - if this is true and such, I guarantee he hates having to do this. Adams from all accounts has appeared a high high character individual and this is just one of those things that sucks, making life difficult for folks you have a relationship with of any level hits high character guys in the gut. It may not of course change decisions, but I cannot imagine the struggle internally this will cause Davante if it does get ugly.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The one thing I know given what appears from all the pieces, posts and interviews with Davante - if this is true and such, I guarantee he hates having to do this. Adams from all accounts has appeared a high high character individual and this is just one of those things that sucks, making life difficult for folks you have a relationship with of any level hits high character guys in the gut. It may not of course change decisions, but I cannot imagine the struggle internally this will cause Davante if it does get ugly.
I think the writing was on the wall a long time ago for this. I would have to go back and look for quotes, but Davante stated during the season that he should be the highest paid WR in the NFL. I also don't think the Packers put the tag on him, to actually have him play under it. The tag gives the Packers 2 outs, sign him to a new deal or trade him. IF #2 is a possibility, Rodgers might decide to wait it out before signing. Then the Packers are in a world of hurt with the Cap numbers of Rodgers current contract.

Let's face it, the Packers 2 best players and potentially their highest paid players, have the Packers over a barrel and pretty much allows them to dictate how this all works out. Nice Last Dance.

I hope nobody sold Rodgers last TD ball that he threw as a Packer in 2021.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam's is 29 and still in his prime. He needs at least 3 more years at an elite level to earn HOF credentials. I can't believe he would refuse to play and pass on the franchise tag salary (18-20 mil). This is nothing more than a negotiating ploy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There will be a lot of angst and then it will be done and he will have another great season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be realistic. Rodgers has not signed his contract and that gives Adams leverage because #12 may be waiting until his buddy his signed and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts