Actual Signed Roster For 2022

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition he has mostly struggled as a blocker this season so there's no reason to consider him a fit for the offense at this point.

Minor nit, and I'll admit I haven't watched close enough--has he struggled as an inline-TE, H-back/Fullback, or both? It seems to my eye, he's been at worst, FINE as a fullback and poor in-line.

Differing opinion?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minor nit, and I'll admit I haven't watched close enough--has he struggled as an inline-TE, H-back/Fullback, or both? It seems to my eye, he's been at worst, FINE as a fullback and poor in-line.

Differing opinion?

This is what I've seen as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Differing opinion?
The coaches would know, but if he can't do both and isn't providing much in the way of receiving options, I wouldn't grade him very high. Almost like saying "This OL player is a solid run blocker, but he can't pass protect." I want a guy that does everything he is expected to do and be anywhere from average to great in each one of those duties.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches would know, but if he can't do both and isn't providing much in the way of receiving options, I wouldn't grade him very high. Almost like saying "This OL player is a solid run blocker, but he can't pass protect." I want a guy that does everything he is expected to do and be anywhere from average to great in each one of those duties.

I'd say that's not entirely fair. All o-linemen are expected to do both kind of blocking, not all TE/Flex/H-backs are expected to do all the things.

Deguara may be listed as a TE, but most of his usage is as a fullback. The other 3 TEs on the roster receive almost 0 snaps as a fullback, they seem to be used exclusively inline (Lewis) or flexed (Tunyan). A more-fair comparison might be a 3-down vs. 3rd down/dime vs. 2-down ILB. You'd prefer 3-down players, but you can make do with a few other later.

I also think he's a pretty good receiving option, but isn't used often. I'm not sure if that's a result of snap counts or other issues.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd say that's not entirely fair. All o-linemen are expected to do both kind of blocking, not all TE/Flex/H-backs are expected to do all the things.

Deguara may be listed as a TE, but most of his usage is as a fullback. The other 3 TEs on the roster receive almost 0 snaps as a fullback, they seem to be used exclusively inline (Lewis) or flexed (Tunyan). A more-fair comparison might be a 3-down vs. 3rd down/dime vs. 2-down ILB. You'd prefer 3-down players, but you can make do with a few other later.

I also think he's a pretty good receiving option, but isn't used often. I'm not sure if that's a result of snap counts or other issues.
He's been available for all 11 games and has been in for 22% of the offensive snaps.

Again, I'm not saying Deguara is a terrible player, just not what I expect out of a 3rd round pick.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been available for all 11 games and has been in for 22% of the offensive snaps.

Again, I'm not saying Deguara is a terrible player, just not what I expect out of a 3rd round pick.
I'm inclined to agree, though I don't know which cloud I should be yelling at in this context. https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1044247-old-man-yells-at-cloud

Taking a 22% snap count player isn't a good look for the FO, but if they are getting what thought they were getting, yay?

If they got the player they thought they were but situations changed that we used a fullback less than intended, yay?

If they thought they were getting a 50-75% TE that could switch between inline, flex, and H-back, then they should rethink their board, because I'm not drafting a 6'2" anything to be an inline TE. Sooo, boo?

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe that to be a mistake and it is a coaching/game plan flaw imho.

I disagree, don't believe Deguara is all that talented.

Agree. Definitely not what you are looking for with a 3rd round pick. A slight step above what Sternberger did in Green Bay, but not by much. 2 strikes on 3rd round picks, I'd rather see Gute pick up a proven H Back in Free Agency.

Gutekunst has actually been terrible in the third round overall not only drafting tight ends.

Differing opinion?

I honestly haven't watched closely enough to answer your question either.

Deguara may be listed as a TE, but most of his usage is as a fullback. The other 3 TEs on the roster receive almost 0 snaps as a fullback, they seem to be used exclusively inline (Lewis) or flexed (Tunyan).

According to PFF Deguara has lined up at fullback on only 48 of his 172 snaps on offense.

Reaction score
If that means the majority of his snaps have been in line than I also believe like someone said we are misusing him.
Misusing possibly out of perceived need.

Much of our usage at TE has been defined recently by our lack of consistency on OL. It’s taken us 3 months to gain some semblance of continuity on our OL and TE is used to mask our shortcomings imo

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A real in line FB is not what MLF desires in his system.
MLF's desires and reality still haven't aligned, though, after 3 years. Does he really want a blocking TE, a receiving TE, and a TE/FB who mainly blocks to have to split the duties OR would he really like 2 TE's with speed & hands who can block AND catch? Seems ridiculous to have such specialized TE's littering the roster. When Deguara is in the game the opposing D pretty much assumes it's a running play, so why not have a real FB (who can actually block a DE or LB) lead the way?

MLF desires to have a roster full of fast guys, in motion to create confusion, but that can also block and catch... has he really had that over the last 3 years? He has that in Tonyan & is trying to get that with Davis.

Instead of Deguara in the 3rd round Gute passed on Adam Trautman, who led the league in '21 for TE's with a blocking grade of 84.1. Also passed on Albert Okwuegbunam who ran a 4.49 40, is a natural hands-catcher. Both guys are 6'-5"+, 250+ and can catch AND block better than Deguara. I really don't know that MLF knows what he wants from this position, which is why he doesn't get much success from the TE position.

D

Deleted member 6794

If that means the majority of his snaps have been in line than I also believe like someone said we are misusing him.

According to PFF Deguara has lined up in the slot for 68 snaps, in the backfield on 48, inline on 42 and spread out wide on 14.

MLF's desires and reality still haven't aligned, though, after 3 years. Does he really want a blocking TE, a receiving TE, and a TE/FB who mainly blocks to have to split the duties OR would he really like 2 TE's with speed & hands who can block AND catch? Seems ridiculous to have such specialized TE's littering the roster.

I'm convinced that MLF would prefer a tight end who excels in both receiving and blocking but unfortunately Gutekunst hasn't been able to provide him with one.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced that MLF would prefer a tight end who excels in both receiving and blocking but unfortunately Gutekunst hasn't been able to provide him with one.
Pretty sure everyone would prefer that.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers placed Dean Lowry on injured reserve. In addition the team signed WR Bo Melton to the active roster off the Seahawks practice squad and released Tipa Galeai off injured reserve.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers placed Dean Lowry on injured reserve. In addition the team signed WR Bo Melton to the active roster off the Seahawks practice squad and released Tipa Galeai off injured reserve.
Superbowl!

Melton is a pretty quick guy (4.34 40) and did a little kick returning at Rutgers. I wonder if the Packers will put him back to return if Nixon can't go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Melton is a pretty quick guy (4.34 40) and did a little kick returning at Rutgers. I wonder if the Packers will put him back to return if Nixon can't go.

I don't believe the Packers are going to take that risk. Melton hasn't returned a single kickoff or punt at the NFL level (not even in the preseason) and only had a total of 11 KR and five PR at Rutgers.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Time of the season for teams to raid another team's PS for that unused potential diamond to get them signed for camp next summer. Why we lost Abernathy is my guess.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Time of the season for teams to raid another team's PS for that unused potential diamond to get them signed for camp next summer. Why we lost Abernathy is my guess.
At times he looked good in preseason, but he has bounced around the NFL and XFL since 2018, wasn't a great loss IMO. But yeah, no reason for the Falcons to "steal him" off our PS, other than wanting to see what he can do. Abernathy was on the Falcons inactive list Sunday, so it wasn't like they grabbed him to fill a current need.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts