Aaron Ripkowski

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Man, this dude is a head hunter and busts some skulls while blocking. Look at that Alabama clip where he blocks two Tide players at same time down the field. Hes also hard to tackle it looks with the ball in his hands. He also lined up some as an in-line TE too. So maybe some packages with him and Kuhn both in the game? Ripkowski as a blocking TE?

I hate making comparisons, but he reminds me a little bit of Mike Alstott. Hes a big bruiser.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Man, this dude is a head hunter and busts some skulls while blocking. Look at that Alabama clip where he blocks two Tide players at same time down the field. Hes also hard to tackle it looks with the ball in his hands. He also lined up some as an in-line TE too. So maybe some packages with him and Kuhn both in the game? Ripkowski as a blocking TE?

I hate making comparisons, but he reminds me a little bit of Mike Alstott. Hes a big bruiser.

If he can block then he's NOTHING like Alstott. Alstott was the last running FB you'll ever see but blocking was definatly not a strength of his to say the least as he wasnt very good at it. When in the paragraph before your talking about Ripkowskis blocking ability prolly shouldnt compare him to Alstott in the next.

H

HardRightEdge

If Ripkowski shows he can in-line block against NFL players he'll have made a very strong case for making the roster.

That would qualify him as H-back...lead back, short yardage runner, catch some, in-line blocking TE.

It's pretty clear this guy was a good lead blocker and short yardage runner against some top competition. Beyond the sledgehammer plays, I'm equally impressed with the seal blocks where he stands up OLBs/DEs in that tape...there's a lot of technique in those blocks to go with the aggression.

However, traditional fullback skills alone as a backup behind Kuhn may not be enough.

When looking at the TEs, I think we can call Quarless and Rodgers merely serviceable in-line blockers. Backman is in the same mold. Perillo looks like he should be a sound blocker, but he just had not put it together sufficiently to step over Bostick, another guy with questionable blocking skills; he's squarely on the bubble. The only other TE on the roster is the UDFA Mitchell Henry. While admittedly knowing little about him, the nfl.com scouting report identified play strength as a weakness.

In short, there isn't anybody in the TE group I can point to as a strong in-line blocker. I think that's where Ripkowski can seal a job.

It's also important to consider the 7 blocked kicks last season. While I'd put at least one of those on Crosby, it's pretty clear that blocking for kicks was a serious problem. I think it's fair to say it was Slocum's tipping point. Ripkowski would be an upgrade to that unit.

If he can avoid concussions, I think he makes the roster as a multi-tool H-back.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Merging with the existing threads about the Packers draft picks.
EDIT:
Changed my mind. He should have his own thread. Just changed forum.

Members online

Latest posts