Aaron Kampman

croxeye

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this man stands the most to gain from the switch to the 3-4 than most of our defenders.

If you watch film on him on primarily running plays (any 3rd/4th and short pretty much) you can see him getting pushed around by RT's and/OR letting RT's just blaze by him and kill poppinga/chillar which was pretty much any zone away from his side, OR any regular running play they would run right at him because they know he's undersized and he doesn't do to well in keeping OT's out of the 2nd level, and believe me, these guys can WREAK HAVOC when they reach the LB'ers. However I do give him his credit because he is a very sound tackler and doesn't let a lot of plays just bounce off of his chest (*cough*montgomery*cough*) and he sometimes saves the plays that he almost busted with the coverage (or in this case noncoverage) of the OT's.

Now with the switch to the 3-4, he's an OLB and he doesn't need to worry about lining up off of OT's and trying to keep them off the LB'ers behind him, in this case, since he's a sound tackler, he just needs to focus on not overpersuing plays and play the cutback lane. Oh yeah, living in the opponents backfield helps too.:)

IMO he's a great sack artist, I'm not denying that, however his run game needed some work, and now that he's a OLB he can get a little coaching from my man Kevine Greene and put fear in those backfields.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he can transition well and be an impact player, I've heard he might have some difficulty though, hopefully this is wrong. Kampman is one of my favorite players, I'm praying he wont struggle this year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know... that never came to my attention really... I allways thought that since our DT's didn't demand double teams, it was kind of hard to any 4-3 DE in the league to single-handedly take the RT, usually 20-30 pounds heavier than the DE. And like you said, he's a sound tackler.

But the great point of the 3-4 is that Kampman can no longer be double teamed all day, because he's not going to rush the passer every play. So there's pretty much a guarantee that his sack numbers will increase.

And unlike most people think, he has the physical tools to thrive. He has the flexibility in the hips and good change of direction ability...

The major problem with him playing OLB in the 3-4 is his cover skills. He won't be asked to do much, but if he can't cover the seam or at least cover the FB in pass plays, we're doomed...

OP
OP
croxeye

croxeye

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually PackersRS, It IS easy for a 4-3 DE to make sure an OT doesn't get to the 2nd level, he needs to get leverage on the OT's which sometimes it looked like he never had to do that before that. Why I created this was to point out that Kampman had a LOT to gain from switching to the 3-4 vs the 4-3.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea he can have somthing to gain, but if he cant cover he's not going to be worth much.

newman79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, I agree with those questioning his cover skills.

My understanding is that the 3-4 obviously rushes the 3 down lineman and then varies which of the LBs to rush the passer so as to keep the offense guessing where the rush is coming from. The other LBs will often drop into zone coverage perhaps.

Kampman is going to have to drop into coverage some or else the defense would seem to be real predictable with the 3 down lineman rushing, along with Kampman. The offenses would just look to where Kampman is and know he'll be one of the LBs coming on the pass rush if he can't cover some.

Seems like Kampman's coverage skills will have to prove to be at least somewhat useful for him and the D to be effective in this type of D.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone keeps pointing out whether Kampman will be able to drop back into coverage. This defense isn't just about Kampman. It is about disguising Blitz coverages stopping the run and putting more pressure on the QB. It not about Kampman in a Base 4-3 being the only one which could get to the QB. Yes he will rush the passer and will drop back into coverage at times, but so will BJ Raji. I've seen Casey Hampton of Pittsburgh drop back 10 yards into coverage and bat down a pass coming accross the middle. Remember (disguising coverages) to pressure the QB. Kampman will be fine and will do okay with his coverage because teams will not be able to isolate him. They will be more worried about where the pressure is comimg from.

Lambow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman may be yet another key loss to the team thanks to bad management.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts