A couple FA's we should look at

packersfan152

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So for starters, with Datone Jones and Peppers gone, we don't have anyone to play the Elephant position in our D, that concerns me.

What are you guys thoughts on bringing in Mario Williams to fill that position? Yes, he is older (30 I believe) but think about it: he has experience in both a 4-3 and 3-4, he can put his hand in the dirt during 3rd downs and be a rotational player like Peppers was for the past 2 years.

Another player I like is Jared Odrick. He could also help with the rotation on the D-line. He reminds me of Green who came in and just filled holes while everyone else on the defense was able to roam free.

Lastly, why aren't we entertaining the idea of Blount?! He is younger than AP, multiple super bowl rings under his belt and is coming off of a monster year. He will fill in as a thumper for us for 1st and 2nd down as well as goal line.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would prefer signing Elvis Dumervil as an edge rusher over Williams. Blount presents a decent option at running back. With the Packers having signed Jean Francois there's no need to sign another veteran on the defensive line.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id think about Mario Williams because his size allows for some versatility most likely though he's asking for more money than I'd wanna pay for him. I don't think he'll play for 3.5 million but if that's what peppers is getting can't see how TT would pay him more with peppers being the much more effective player. Don't really like Orrick or blout rather draft a dl and running back than pay those guys 3 to 5 million a season.

D

Deleted member 6794

id think about Mario Williams because his size allows for some versatility most likely though he's asking for more money than I'd wanna pay for him. I don't think he'll play for 3.5 million but if that's what peppers is getting can't see how TT would pay him more with peppers being the much more effective player. Don't really like Orrick or blout rather draft a dl and running back than pay those guys 3 to 5 million a season.

While I agree about not being interested in Odrick the Packers signing Blount would add another dangerous threat in the red zone.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blount didn't sign a deal in free agency last year until over a month in, if I remember correctly. He's not currently signed probably for similar reasons. I don't think it's a lack of interest. He just, for whatever reason, likes to see how teams are looking later in free agency before making any decisions.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blount didn't sign a deal in free agency last year until over a month in, if I remember correctly. He's not currently signed probably for similar reasons. I don't think it's a lack of interest. He just, for whatever reason, likes to see how teams are looking later in free agency before making any decisions.

I think its more that he has character/off field issues that a lot of teams are concerned with and this time around the value he envisions for himself is probably not close to where teams value him.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blount is capable of carrying the ball more than 200 times though, something Ripkowski isn't primed to do.
I wouldn't be mad at signing him.

Imagine if we signed Jamaal Charles and he stayed healthy. This offense would be unstoppable.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't be mad at signing him.

Imagine if we signed Jamaal Charles and he stayed healthy. This offense would be unstoppable.

It will be interesting to see what the Packers have in store at the running back position over the next few weeks. There are several intriguing free agents available as well as a deep draft class at the position.

Unfortunately Charles hasn't been able to stay healthy, otherwise he would be a great signing.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the lack of respect for Blount? The guy is a proven back and a handful to bring down. For the right price I would take him in a heartbeat. He has scored 25 TD's over the last two years which is pretty darn good. Again, this would all come down to coin in my books... G P G

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Both Ted and Mike have recently mentioned the "need for more guys" at the RB position, which I totally agree with. Depending on their draft strategy and the # of RB's they like in the draft, any FA signings will revolve around that. I would love a guy like Blount, a good compliment to Montgomery. Blount has proven he can get into the endzone and pick up the tough yards, much like Eddie Lacy in his first 2 seasons. Signing Blount would take away the need of using a top 3 pick in the draft on RB and allow TT to focus on more pressing needs.

Guessing Blount is still available due to how much he is asking for and that might ultimately keep him out of Green Bay if TT feels he can obtain a quality back in a deep RB draft.

https://www.all22.com/green-bay-packers/legarrette-blount-strong-fit-green-bay-packers

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with bypassing Blount for the moment. After a 18 TD season, he's waiting on a payday, same with Williams. Wait them out. Their price will come down. Close to the draft, make an offer to Williams and/or Blount. Take less to get more down the line. Contributing to a SB contender will boost their profile for next season. Especially, with Blount aiming for a third SB ring.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6'-3", 309 lb 25 yr. old DE Ego Ferguson released by Bears and on waivers... would cost $980k for '17 but if he can stay healthy might be a good pick-up for '17?

D

Deleted member 6794

6'-3", 309 lb 25 yr. old DE Ego Ferguson released by Bears and on waivers... would cost $980k for '17 but if he can stay healthy might be a good pick-up for '17?

Ferguson has only been able to play for four games over the past two seasons and was already busted for PEDs once. The Packers should pass on him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned above I'm not excited about that move at all. In my opinion it indicates the Packers are planning to move on from Guion though.
I must admit I find it exciting if indeed we are finished with Guion. Will be interesting to see if he can make the roster. Leads me to believe they may think they will not get DL early in the draft that can provide needed depth on the final 53.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must admit I find it exciting if indeed we are finished with Guion. Will be interesting to see if he can make the roster. Leads me to believe they may think they will not get DL early in the draft that can provide needed depth on the final 53.

Doesn't take much to excite you, heh buddy? :D

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why was this guy drafted in the Second Round? No wonder the Bears have been struggling. They must have seen a lot of untapped potential? I watched this draft profile tape of him, which are usually filled only with highlights of good plays, I didn't see anything that impressed me. He looked slow, easily blocked and quick to take himself out of a play. If I saw this video today of a 2017 draft prospect, UDFA would feel like a stretch.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Why was this guy drafted in the Second Round? No wonder the Bears have been struggling. They must have seen a lot of untapped potential? I watched this draft profile tape of him, which are usually filled only with highlights of good plays, I didn't see anything that impressed me. He looked slow, easily blocked and quick to take himself out of a play. If I saw this video today of a 2017 draft prospect, UDFA would feel like a stretch.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Bears reached big time with this guy. The hope is he could supply some pass rush up the middle. He hasn't even been able to really even find the field.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned above I'm not excited about that move at all. In my opinion it indicates the Packers are planning to move on from Guion though.
He will be an experienced camp body at least. I know he is a talented guy with other problems but why not take a low risk and have him compete with a rookie? Also I can't say I'm for keeping Guion, well 100% anyway. But if you watch the tape even from last season he does make impact plays that weren't being made by others sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around and plays after suspension. I don't see this as a sign of management cutting Guion because Ego may not make till to the 53 himself!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't even been able to really even find the field.
The same could have been said about Perry until 2015 season. I'm not comparing the 2 as players... just that early career injuries don't always show the entire picture. Ferguson is cheap (whether on IR or playing) this season, and if he shows some talent would be a good find.