3rd Down Sacks

Reaction score
What's up with all these sacks on 3rd down? I realize they are all passing downs but something needs to be fixed. He was sacked last night 3 times, all on 3rd down
Idk.
You’ll also notice our opponents regularly send extra pressure when we’re near FG range (their 35-45 yard line, which is exactly what I’d do. Those should be bang bang plays, not dancing around doing the waltz. It’s almost like we’re oblivious to field position. I can’t count how many times 3rd n long we could’ve taken a 5 yard shot and been in FG range. Instead we take a -8 loss and punt.
Even if we advance several yards (from their 40 etc) and sets 4th n short? it’s really 4 down territory. What are we gonna do? Punt for a possible 19 yard net TB? I don’t think so. Anything 4th down inside 3 yards inside their 40 is 4 down. We gotta stop the dancing with the stars bit.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's up with all these sacks on 3rd down? I realize they are all passing downs but something needs to be fixed. He was sacked last night 3 times, all on 3rd down
Been a back breaker all season. Our 3rd down options are not what they were in years past. Rodgers waits because his first read is covered then his second and then not even a check down. Anf of course he does not break out like he did in his youth. This is why this team depends on the run game on 1st and 2nd down. Contrast the Vikings. When I watch them Cousins does get sacks. He does throw INTs. But 3rd down to them is like 1st down. Jefferson, Thielen, Osborne, and even Cook out of the backfield. Last but not least a TE.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely just baseless speculation on my part but I've wondered at times if Rodgers hasn't been carrying some sort of undisclosed lower body injury. He seems noticeably less mobile and I feel like I can't remember any instances this year of him tucking the ball and running, even when there's miles of space in front of him...I know he's getting older and slowing down some but it feels like a really pronounced difference even between this year and last year.

Maybe I'm just seeing things/remembering it wrong, I don't know. Like I said don't have anything to base that on really, just anecdotally it feels like in the past he was a lot quicker to roll out and run for it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’ll also notice our opponents regularly send extra pressure when we’re near FG range (their 35-45 yard line, which is exactly what I’d do. Those should be bang bang plays, not dancing around doing the waltz. It’s almost like we’re oblivious to field position.
I agree with you, but it doesn't seem like teams are as interested in field goals as they used to be. That definitely seems to be the case with MLF. Unless it's my imagination. Seems like the philosophy used to be more like "take the points".

Reaction score
I agree with you, but it doesn't seem like teams are as interested in field goals as they used to be. That definitely seems to be the case with MLF. Unless it's my imagination. Seems like the philosophy used to be more like "take the points".
Yes and maybe that’s why. They just would rather go for 7 and get that first down. Trying for the 3rd n long to move chains also might have to do with our earlier season struggles in moving the ball. We’re either not confident we’ll see that side of the field much or we’re qualifying taking a FG as playing conservative, which it is. However in a game we largely control or are in the lead I’d take the 3 point play if it’s a 75%+ FG area or if it means a 2 score lead.
I’m Saying FG also because even if you do get a 1st down at the 27 yard line. It doesn’t necessarily = a TD

I’m going to call a quick play to #9
(5 yard slant etc) with space to make a play. Similar to what we did inside the 10 yard line when #9 got stopped a yard short. Give me 5 yards minimum (FG) with a chance at YAC (new set of downs).

I swear we average like -2.5 yards per in 3rd n 9 from our 43 yard line.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely just baseless speculation on my part but I've wondered at times if Rodgers hasn't been carrying some sort of undisclosed lower body injury. He seems noticeably less mobile and I feel like I can't remember any instances this year of him tucking the ball and running, even when there's miles of space in front of him...I know he's getting older and slowing down some but it feels like a really pronounced difference even between this year and last year.

Maybe I'm just seeing things/remembering it wrong, I don't know. Like I said don't have anything to base that on really, just anecdotally it feels like in the past he was a lot quicker to roll out and run for it.
Well, he certainly has had plenty of chances to take off and slide just enough to get a first down or close to it. And I cannot figure it out. I believe it is just age. Even Fran Tarkenton took off a lot less in his last years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Crosby not having a strong leg anymore most likely factors into MLF not trying more field goals as well.

Members online

Latest posts