#3 Running Back

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on the Harris bandwagon too. Good feet for a big, punishing back and he looks like he has decent hands as well.

Neal is a reliable receiver out of the backfield but a pedestrian runner IMO.

The guy who picks up the blitz best and can add value on special teams will likely earn the spot.

Crockett may have re-tweaked the ankle today so that may not bode well for him. Obviously there's a lot of camp left yet, but perhaps he's a candidate for stashing on IR and bringing back next year to compete.

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year DuJuan Harris got a total of 17 touches on offense during the regular season. While it´s an intriguing competition going on I agree with vince that most likely special teams contribution will be the deciding factor.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That TD by Harris was pretty lucky with 3 DB's running into each other. He does have great size but may be on the slow side. I like Neal and Crocket.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That TD by Harris was pretty lucky with 3 DB's running into each other. He does have great size but may be on the slow side. I like Neal and Crocket.
I kind of agree with that. I'd like to see more, but I think people are jumping the gun on Harris and his ability. I need to see more.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris, but right now if I had choose, I'd say Neal wins it because of experience.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Is it nice having this discussion for 3rd running back? Remember when we still needed a #2 or hoping Starks can be a good #1? Think it maybe Harris but you never know.

H

HardRightEdge

Last year DuJuan Harris got a total of 17 touches on offense during the regular season. While it´s an intriguing competition going on I agree with vince that most likely special teams contribution will be the deciding factor.

Whoever pass blocks and catches the best
It all matters. But I don't think these secondary considerations come into play unless running ability/potential is perceived as close to equal.

RB is a high injury-incidence position and if the #3 becomes the next man up at #2 he'll need to be able to run the ball. Starks has a history of injuries. Lacy is a concussion away from missing a couple of games.

If special teams play, blocking and catching where the chief qualifications, we could peg Kuhn as the #3 and call it good.

Inadequacy as a special teams player is the differentiator between between being left off the 45 man game day roster or stashed on the PS, but would not be a disqualifier for the #3 spot. Starks came into the league at the #3 spot behind Grant and Jackson, and he was a poor pass blocker, poor route runner and had marginal value on special teams when week 1 of 2010 rolled around. He was kept for his running potential, and that was a darn good thing.

Another consideration is Starks will be a free agent after this season and will be 30 years old by the start of next season. While he's a low mileage guy, another season like any of his first 4 of 5, missing multiple games with yet another injury would make moving on a strong consideration. Vegas might as well slap a 50/50 proposition on him for "knee sprain". Going away from Starks would require starting over with another guy with running bona fides if one is not kept this season.

The Packers recent history with so-called "third down backs" at #1 or #2 (which is where the #3 might be quickly elevated) has been less than auspicious. Consider Brandon Jackson as Exhibit A and Alex Green as Exhibit B. Putting a guy out there who can't run between the tackles makes the opponent's job a lot easier.

All of these guys will have to learn to pass block and run routes in a pro style offense, and that's something that will be a work in progress past week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Harris is a big, bruising back who looks like he can get a yard or two out of nothing. I'd be interested to see if the Packers have him run block some in these preseason games...he might qualify as a RB/FB swing man, beating out Ripkowski, and thereby opening up a roster spot at another position.

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of the RB's bring what Rip does as a blocker or more importantly this year on ST. Your comments about the #3 considerations above though I think are right on. I don't think Neal has the traits to tote the rock with any consistency which is why I prefer Harris. This year though, I think Neal may be the preferred #3 by virtue of his superior familiarity with the offense. Down the road, Lacy and Harris could be quite a load as a 1-2 punch. I hope Harris can at least stay with the team this year as a practice squad member to gain the experience and develop as a complete back in this offense.

H

HardRightEdge

Harris, but right now if I had choose, I'd say Neal wins it because of experience.
Neal got 5 carries and 0 pass targets in preseason last year, then went to IR, with no benefit of scout team work or coaching on the finer points last season. That leaves him with only a minor experience leg up on the rookies. Since we've seen so little of these guys, if Neal has a leg up at this point it's because he had a productive senior season against SEC competition vs. these other small college guys. By the end of preseason, that won't count for much.

It's just too early to call.

D

Deleted member 6794

It all matters. But I don't think these secondary considerations come into play unless running ability/potential is perceived as close to equal.

If special teams play, blocking and catching where the chief qualifications, we could peg Kuhn as the #3 and call it good.

I agree that running the football will be the most important part of the evaluation but so far none of the three running backs competing for the #3 spot on the depth chart has been able to distance himself from the other two (which is pretty difficult getting less than five carries in a game). If it stays that way for the rest of the preseason secondary considerations will come into play.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would choose Crockett right now, but let's see what happens in the next two preseason games.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts