3 Free Agent signings Gute MUST Make

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a cruel irony if we did end up with Barr. I wouldn't mind seeing Dante Flower or Demarcus Lawrence for the edge. As for safties Tyrann Mathieu and Earl Thomas would be my choices.

Imo we still could use another weapon for receiver as well.

Alos can we please not do this Rodgers prima donna bs here please? There's a thread for that, and I really don't feel like doing that again.
You could ignore it lol.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It would be a cruel irony if we did end up with Barr. I wouldn't mind seeing Dante Flower or Demarcus Lawrence for the edge. As for safties Tyrann Mathieu and Earl Thomas would be my choices.

Alos can we please not do this Rodgers prima donna bs here please? There's a thread for that, and I really don't feel like doing that again.

I will say what I like in response to the discussion in this thread.

As to Lawrence and Flowers, they're both excellent plays. I don't expect either to make it to free agency. And both would mean a pretty dramatic shift from how we are using edge talent under Pettine.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe talk to these people?
the Jaguars are $19 million over the projected salary cap in 2019 ...
Six of the Jaguars' eight biggest cap figures in 2019 belong to defensive players, including defensive tackle Malik Jackson ($15 million cap figure/$4 million dead money), defensive end Calais Campbell ($14.5 million/$3 million), and nose tackle Marcell Dareus ($10.6 million/no dead money).

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say what I like in response to the discussion in this thread.

As to Lawrence and Flowers, they're both excellent plays. I don't expect either to make it to free agency. And both would mean a pretty dramatic shift from how we are using edge talent under Pettine.
That's fine, although I don't see what Rodgers being a Prima Donna has anything to do with the discussion. But if you say so...:rolleyes:

You could ignore it lol.
Let's just call it a preemptive measure in order to prevent others from possibly straying away from the subject at hand. ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Enough of the prima dona diversion. If I hear another word of it, so help me, I'll stop this car and come back there. Then I'll merge this thread with the prima dona thread.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enough of the prima dona diversion. If I hear another word of it, so help me, I'll stop this car and come back there. Then I'll merge this thread with the prima dona thread.

You know youve been a bit of a diva since opening your snack stand

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Just trying to set the mood.;)

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys as fun and entertaining as this all is, let's stay on topic, otherwise we risk this thread being closed.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are the free agents that I think are most interesting for the Packers of the guys who I think will actually make it to the open market:
  • Adam Humphries, WR, Bucs, 26: I agree with the premise of the OP that this offense needs (and lacks) a slot receiver who gets open early in the down, can win in the short game, and can pick up YAC. That's Humphries' game, he's done it consistently in Tampa Bay, he's young, and I doubt he would cost all that much (maybe ~6M?).
  • Jesse James, TE, Steelers, 25: The Packers really need a good blocking TE who still has enough movement skills to get onto the field. Lewis seemed like he would be that guy, but age would seem to have caught up to him to the point that he doesn't threaten at all in the passing game.
  • Ja'Wuan James, OT, Dolphins, 27: Everyone knew that the Dolphins reached when they drafted James 19th overall in 2014, and he predictably struggled to start his career. But over time, he's developed into a solid pass protecting RT. If GB cuts Bulaga, James would represent an immediate replacement.
  • Preston Smith, ED, Redskins, 26: The sacks haven't been as easy to come by for Smith this year, but he's a solid, well-rounded 3-4 rush linebacker who would be better than the current iterations of Matthews and Perry immediately.
  • Anthony Barr, ED?, Vikings, 27: This might wind up being a stupid idea, but Barr intrigues me as an edge in a Mike Pettine defense. Pettine will use his OLB's as drop/blitz chess pieces more often than your traditional DC who uses them more purely as edge rushers. Barr was an edge in college and has far more skill as a stand up linebacker than your typical 34OLB.
  • Adrian Amos, S, Bears, 26: Amos is young, versatile, skilled, experience, and productive. He'd be a stellar FA pick up to address a really weak position.

I like this list WAY better than the OP's. Everyone is 27 years or younger, on their first contract. No huge major injury issues. The OP's list doesnt really get me going. Matthieu has been injured. D-Lawrence will stay in Dallas. Golden Tate is old.

I don't have the time to really dig into free agency, but I like the thought of Jesse James, Anthony Barr, or Adrian Amos in a packers uniform.

I also echo some other posters and their want of a veteran OT or OG to come via free agency. A starter or proven depth.

Last edited:

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all ready for a resigning of Muhammad Wilkerson, FA signings of both Dante Fowler and a Shaquil Barrett or Anthony Barr for the DL/Edge guys and switch this defense over to a 4-3... Wilkerson, Daniels, Clark, and Fowler on the DL with Adams, Lowry, and Looney as backups with one high draft pick. Use Martinez as our ILB and Barrett / Gilbert with Fackrell / Perry as our current OLBs with a before the 4th rounder OLB. That is a quick way to get our front 7 to be a strength for us.

Safety concerns are another obvious choice to get fixed via free agency... Honey Badger could be a decent addition, but come on ... there is only one player that this defense should go after if he is healthy. Earl Thomas would be a great pickup and be a similar one to getting Woodson in here. He would immediately make the FS position one of strength and could teach our youth. He has been a part of the legion of doom and would definitely push the group to head that way.

We aren't going to sign an OT in free agency because they are too damn expensive, but we could sign a guard or two to increase competition in camp to see who starts. OT will need to be addressed early in the upcoming draft. Probably within the first 3 picks we have.

There are a couple FA TE's to be... but they will be tough to come by... Ebron and Cook will probably signed by their current teams and Eifert is injured alot (which means he'd fit in perfectly for us lately).

Getting a #2 WR is imperative this offseason... thru FA, the draft, or what we currently already have. Allison could have the inside track, but coming off a major injury will hurt. The current rookies will need to improve greatly over the offseason to take that next step. We should definitely draft a WR within our first three picks. Would love to see Harry to fall into our laps. Brown in the second would also be a great pick. Not too much in the FA market for WR's outside of say Tate and Gordon with a handful of other possibles.

My 3 FA signings would be, but we also need a few more on the offensive side (RG, TE, WR#2???)

1. Fowler or Clowney (if he doesn't resign)
2. Barrett or Barr
3. Earl Thomas

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like this list WAY better that the OP's. Everyone is 27 years or younger, on their first contract. No huge major injury issues. I don't have the time to really dig into free agency, but I like the thought of Jesse James, Anthony Barr, or Adrian Amos in a packers uniform.

I also echo some other posters and their want of a veteran OT or OG to come via free agency. A starter or proven depth.

Yeah I agree with that last part too, but I just don't see the options when I look through the 2019 FA's.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

So probably should post this elsewhere?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aren't you the one bringing it up mate? If it were up to me, Smith, Mathieu/Amos and the double James please

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Devante Adams
Randall Cobb

I think the last time they took a WR in the first was Javon Walker. Packers love taking WRs in the 2nd. I think the first rd will be used to add play makers to the defense. My dream scenarios are getting AJ Green or TY Hilton

Members online

Latest posts