2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, he is on the books for $13 million. How is that not a lot? He's one of the highest paid on the team. If they want to fill any holes he needs to go or restructure for a lot less.
because he's middle of the pack cap counts for upper level play. Sure you can save the money, and you're likely leaving a giant hole at a premium position. He's consistent and he's consistently available. He's not "expensive" all things considered. It's a place you can cut, it's not a place I would though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hang on some of you are saying things that just doesn't makes sense and I think many are confused about their own team and contracts for those playing for it.

Amos isn't signed past this year - there is NO savings from him as he isn't signed beyond this season.
Savage's 5th year has been picked up which is fully guaranteed and cutting him saves $0. He is going to hit our cap in 2023 for $7.9M regardless if on the team or not.
Crosby doesn't hold a contract with GB past this season either like Amos.

Preston Smith after signing this extension in the offseason has him signed through the 2026 season, and at a STEAL of a price truthfully so long as he continues to play like a starting OLB - Cap hits of $13M in 2023 then $14.8M / $15.8M / $16.5 with savings if cut each year estimated around $4M / $7M / $11M / $14M and he has ZERO dead money void type years. Bottom line I think Preston signed that team friendly contract cuz he plans on retiring from GB and so long as he is a starting level OLB his contract is a steal and even could be restructured a touch here and there for more space if needed some years.

The only measurable cap saving cuts of guys that hold a 2023 contract with us is Aaron Jones and really just him...no one else besides Bakh (touch under $6M) saves us even $4M.

Actually the Packers restructuring Lowry's deal doesn't have any negative effect on the 2023 cap. With the $1.1 million in cap space created for the 2022 season being allowed to roll over into next year it's a wash.

Wait I'm confused. He wasn't signed pass this season, was set to become a FA. How did adding dead money to 2023 with this restructure not cause an additional hit to the 2023 cap?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Like I said, he is on the books for $13 million. How is that not a lot? He's one of the highest paid on the team. If they want to fill any holes he needs to go or restructure for a lot less.
Preston's contract for 2023 pays him $10M to be on the roster and he can earn an addition $600K ($35K/game) for being on the active roster. The additional $2.4M you are seeing, is part of his already paid money and thus is a portion of the dead cap of $9.76M that would still be on the books if he was cut prior to the 3rd day of the league year.

I think they will either keep or restructure Smith. Too good of a player to not shell out $10.6 M in salary and roster bonuses.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wait I'm confused. He wasn't signed pass this season, was set to become a FA. How did adding dead money to 2023 with this restructure not cause an additional hit to the 2023 cap?
It does, but as Captain said, it doesn't if they don't use the savings this season, since it would roll over into 2023 and negate the increase. They are just taking cap money from 2023 and have it "in hand", in case they want to spend it this year for a restructure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does, but as Captain said, it doesn't if they don't use the savings this season, since it would roll over into 2023 and negate the increase. They are just taking cap money from 2023 and have it "in hand", in case they want to spend it this year for a restructure.

*Light Bulb* LOL Just clicked.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hunch says it is either Jenkins, Amos, Lazard or Gary (he is signed though into next year as 5th year option)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My hunch says it is either Jenkins, Amos, Lazard or Gary (he is signed though into next year as 5th year option)
My guess, it is for Jenkins. They don't want him going into Free Agency and getting one of the cap fat teams seeing him as a starting LT and paying him major dollars. He hasn't been as good this year, as he was in the past, but I put that on his injury setback and he will be just fine in coming years. Also, with him lining up at LG, the Packers may feel like that is his best position and want to pay him as one, not a LT.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess, it is for Jenkins. They don't want him going into Free Agency and getting one of the cap fat teams seeing him as a starting LT and paying him major dollars. He hasn't been as good this year, as he was in the past, but I put that on his injury setback and he will be just fine in coming years. Also, with him lining up at LG, the Packers may feel like that is his best position and want to pay him as one, not a LT.

OR they could be looking to shift some of Aaron Jones burden to this year and shaving some off next year....doubt it though and I as well would bet if forced it is Jenkins.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I would give to go camping for a weekend with Russ Ball and Gute and bring lots of alcohol along to get them talking. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was misreading Over The Cap. Disregard everything I said. I mean, you can do that with what I say anyway.
I do the same thing (get confused) with the 2 cap sites I look at. In some cases, it really requires rolling up your sleeves and looking at all the details of the contract, at least the details provided. Even after doing that, I'm still not 100% sure sometimes. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Elgton Jenkins and Allen Lazard are UFA's & will get paid by some team... restructuring Lowry this week to free-up $1.1Mil will more than likely be used to extend one of those 2 (or Tonyan?) but I hope not. Gute needs to get control of the cap at some point.

I'm fine with the Packers re-signing Jenkins as long as they don't offer him tackle money. I don't see any reason to bring Lazard back as I expect another team to offer him significantly more money than the Packers should.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with the Packers re-signing Jenkins as long as they don't offer him tackle money. I don't see any reason to bring Lazard back as I expect another team to offer him significantly more money than the Packers should.

Agreed, Lazard only stays if he takes discount to stay

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yet another player that Gute over relied on to do too much.

I will remember this season for one that the Packers rested on their laurels and assumed 2022 would be business as usual. For years Gute and TT watched the cupboards slowly empty of quality WR's and TE's., until the final one, Davante Adams, finally sped away from Green Bay. Expecting a productive offense with Lazard, Watkins, Cobb and a couple of rookies, coupled with an equally ugly TE room, was a gross miscalculation on Gutes part. Whether is was MLF's play calling or Rodgers pushing back against it, they never really pushed the running game, despite having 2 very solid RB's. Instead, they just kept going back to trying to figure out a passing game and one that wasn't very effective at sustaining drives.

If nothing else, maybe this season proved to the Packers that while Rodgers has been known to perform a few miracles, he isn't a QB that turns water into wine, when it comes to his receivers. Davante is doing just fine in Las Vegas, despite a crappy team and an average starting QB.

If the Packers want to take another run at it in 2023, they need to find a way to bring in a high caliber veteran WR, sooner rather than later. Let him get a lot of offseason reps with Rodgers, including some preseason action. Such a player, along with Watson and Doubs, might improve this offense. Bring in a DC that understands his players strengths and weaknesses, more than he is stuck in his own schemes.

The biggest problem though will be the cap and their own free agents. Can Russ Ball figure out a way to meet the cap, keep key players AND sign a top notch vet FA WR?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet another player that Gute over relied on to do too much.

I will remember this season for one that the Packers rested on their laurels and assumed 2022 would be business as usual. For years Gute and TT watched the cupboards slowly empty of quality WR's and TE's., until the final one, Davante Adams, finally sped away from Green Bay. Expecting a productive offense with Lazard, Watkins, Cobb and a couple of rookies, coupled with an equally ugly TE room, was a gross miscalculation on Gutes part. Whether is was MLF's play calling or Rodgers pushing back against it, they never really pushed the running game, despite having 2 very solid RB's. Instead, they just kept going back to trying to figure out a passing game and one that wasn't very effective at sustaining drives.

If nothing else, maybe this season proved to the Packers that while Rodgers has been known to perform a few miracles, he isn't a QB that turns water into wine, when it comes to his receivers. Davante is doing just fine in Las Vegas, despite a crappy team and an average starting QB.

If the Packers want to take another run at it in 2023, they need to find a way to bring in a high caliber veteran WR, sooner rather than later. Let him get a lot of offseason reps with Rodgers, including some preseason action. Such a player, along with Watson and Doubs, might improve this offense. Bring in a DC that understands his players strengths and weaknesses, more than he is stuck in his own schemes.

The biggest problem though will be the cap and their own free agents. Can Russ Ball figure out a way to meet the cap, keep key players AND sign a top notch vet FA WR?

I still say we will never ever know for certain what this year May have been. Lazard, Watkins, Watson and Cobb unhealthy majority of the first half the season.

I will forever see this season as immense dissapointment and a what may have been year that unraveled in nearly every way possible.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I still say we will never ever know for certain what this year May have been. Lazard, Watkins, Watson and Cobb unhealthy majority of the first half the season.

I will forever see this season as immense dissapointment and a what may have been year that unraveled in nearly every way possible.
Don't forget about Doubs too. The WR corp hasn't been healthy and together all year. Mix in Rodgers thumb injury and it is kinda the perfect storm. Such is the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, so much went wrong this year. and it was one thing after another.

I imagine you take any team and break their QB's thumb, give him a shoddy Oline with major performance and availability issues and a consistent rotation of receivers that can't stay healthy and on the field, they're going to have problems.
it's no coincidence that has BakhT and Jenkins are playing back into shape and we've now had a couple weeks in a row without major Oline rotations, they've been playing better. It's no coincidence that as our 2nd round WR has made it back to the field and can stretch it, we've hit some plays and loosened some defenses up.

It's no coincidence that as whatever was ailing Dillon seems to be gone and he's back to his normal self and paired with Jones our run game has been more consistent.
I hope Rodgers can still play, Doubs is healthy and keep Cobb healthy, what those 2 with Watson can do with AJones and Dillon. Past 3 weeks have been encouraging offensively.

I don't think GB rested on "their laurels" at all. They can only do so much. They traded up to get a receiver that unfortunately missed most of preseason with an injury, missed most of the regular season with injury and now has a month under his belt actually playing in consistent games and he's winning offensive rookie awards. They made moves, were able to sign a bunch of guys that were extremely important to our success last year while being pushed up agains the cap and they made it work. Rasul, Campbell etc. They've dropped off this year. Lots of things went wrong this year, but GB didn't rest on their laurels.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You kind of left out Rodgers I believe

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What we know for certain, this team is 4-8 and really hasn't looked very good on offense, even when healthy. Injuries are a natural part of the process and more of an excuse. So to say the season would have been different, can go both ways. More injuries, maybe we have 2 wins, less, maybe 7 wins.

I think the 2 rookies have come along nicely, probably faster than I thought they would, but they have also gotten a lot of snaps. Watkins has been terrible. Cobb has been Cobb, good when healthy, not spectacular. Lazard is a guy that is average at a lot of things, but isn't a guy that would start for a lot of teams. I honestly am seeing what I thought I would see on offense without Adams. The inconsistency of the defense is the bigger surprise for me. I expected way more out of a defense that has 7 1st rounders and 3 high priced free agents.

D

Deleted member 6794

It should be pretty obvious to everyone players taking a discount to stay with a team rarely happens. Especially with Lazard possibly still being disgruntled about getting tendered last offseason.

Whether is was MLF's play calling or Rodgers pushing back against it, they never really pushed the running game, despite having 2 very solid RB's.

The Packers were unable to run the ball successfully in several games this season as well. Therefore they had to rely on the passing game to move the ball.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be pretty obvious to everyone players taking a discount to stay with a team rarely happens. Especially with Lazard possibly still being disgruntled about getting tendered last offseason.

The Packers were unable to run the ball successfully in several games this season as well. Therefore they had to rely on the passing game to move the ball.

I agree with the discount opinion, it is rare! Usually what you see is a friendlier structure of a contract if anything.

However we also know of guys Rodgers claims GB never even offered a dime to that he claims would have taken less to stay. I don’t necessarily believe that true but he did say it back in the off-season drama time

D

Deleted member 6794

However we also know of guys Rodgers claims GB never even offered a dime to that he claims would have taken less to stay. I don’t necessarily believe that true but he did say it back in the off-season drama time

I'm not sure how often that really happened but it's pretty well documented it did with Woodson and Nelson.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lazard is going to try and get paid, I like him, but we should not be the team offering him 10M a year.
Agree, but I think the Packers value Lazard far more than most NFL teams. I think the only interest he'd get is from run heavy teams.

Latest posts