2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
$3Mil for a part-time role, mentor, & AR confidant is much better than cut & looking for a vet-minimum contract or retiring. ;)
I think a good deal for the Packers too. I'm looking for Cobb to have a better year, than 2021. He had 1 season and now a full camp to work with the new Packer offense. His timing with Rodgers was never a problem, but I think fitting him into MLF's offense, as well as Cobb knowing the offense, probably needed some time.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking over OTC's GB roster & financials it looks like everyone who's salaries could've been converted (for a cap savings of $2Mil or more) have been done, with the exception of Lowry. Cutting Lowry saves $4Mil but leaves a huge hole in the DL. Extending Lowry could save approx. $3.5Mil... can GB cut Lowry & replace with better, equally durable FA for less than $4Mil?

Cap savings can still occur with the extensions of: Alexander & Adams. Jenkins needs to be extended, but I think that'll occur only after Adams gets extended & creates some cap space. Gary will get 5th year optioned before the 5/01 deadline and his cap hit for '23 is expected to be almost $11Mil but does nothing to help with '22's cap.

Don't know if there's much $$ left for FA signings as it'll take approx. $4Mil for the draftees (only 2 should be in top 51 for cap purposes).

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking over OTC's GB roster & financials it looks like everyone who's salaries could've been converted (for a cap savings of $2Mil or more) have been done, with the exception of Lowry. Cutting Lowry saves $4Mil but leaves a huge hole in the DL. Extending Lowry could save approx. $3.5Mil... can GB cut Lowry & replace with better, equally durable FA for less than $4Mil?

Cap savings can still occur with the extensions of: Alexander & Adams. Jenkins needs to be extended, but I think that'll occur only after Adams gets extended & creates some cap space. Gary will get 5th year optioned before the 5/01 deadline and his cap hit for '23 is expected to be almost $11Mil but does nothing to help with '22's cap.

Don't know if there's much $$ left for FA signings as it'll take approx. $4Mil for the draftees (only 2 should be in top 51 for cap purposes).
I doubt Jenkins even smells an extension until he comes back from that ACL injury and shows how well he was able to recover.

Reaction score
Why present items to a discussion forum if you don't desire discussion?

Instead of dismissing let's discuss responses to the posed concerns....valid, invalid...counter thoughts which explain or even could defend any of the actions and result in my acknowledging or even changing thought on things. It's literally the reason forums exist: discussion.
I don’t know about you. But I just want to discuss my disgust.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Different situation as Bakhtiari was re-signed before suffering a significant injury.
Yes and no. Sure, they can wait and see how Jenkins knee is, but the Packers gave Bahk a massive extension before the end of his contract and he blew his knee out before that original contract would have ended. While the Packers couldn't foresee that happening, it wasn't like Bahk was heading elsewhere if they waited and got the deal done after the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes and no. Sure, they can wait and see how Jenkins knee is, but the Packers gave Bahk a massive extension before the end of his contract and he blew his knee out before that original contract would have ended. While the Packers couldn't foresee that happening, it wasn't like Bahk was heading elsewhere if they waited and got the deal done after the season.

The Packers could have waited after the season to extend Bakhtiari's contract and he could have torn his ACL in the first game of the upcoming season.

There's always risk involved when signing a player to a huge contract.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this so figured this thread was as good as any. The Adams contract shows how EVERY new contract can make a player the "highest paid player" using a last year dummy salary. We should make MVS the highest paid WR by offering a 4 year/ $120mil deal. 3 year/$25mil with $10mil SB and a year 4 base salary of $95mil. Would pi$$off Adams, get MVS back in GB, and set the new bar for FA WR's. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this so figured this thread was as good as any. The Adams contract shows how EVERY new contract can make a player the "highest paid player" using a last year dummy salary. We should make MVS the highest paid WR by offering a 4 year/ $120mil deal. 3 year/$25mil with $10mil SB and a year 4 base salary of $95mil. Would pi$$off Adams, get MVS back in GB, and set the new bar for FA WR's. ;)
Yup. If you caught the segment with Ian R. on the Pat M. show they talked about this "new" mental gymnastics of contracts and it is now the new game that teams are playing. Both guys admitted that some of these contracts take lots of study, to figure out really what they are doing. Ian pretty much had the right numbers on Rodgers ($50M/year) but Rodgers took offense to his reporting, because it wasn't exactly what the contract read. So as most of us have learned in this forum, you almost have to wait until the details of the contract are released and THEN if you can unwind them and see the contract for what it probably really is, you can start talking about the terms.

Reaction score
Yup. If you caught the segment with Ian R. on the Pat M. show they talked about this "new" mental gymnastics of contracts and it is now the new game that teams are playing. Both guys admitted that some of these contracts take lots of study, to figure out really what they are doing. Ian pretty much had the right numbers on Rodgers ($50M/year) but Rodgers took offense to his reporting, because it wasn't exactly what the contract read. So as most of us have learned in this forum, you almost have to wait until the details of the contract are released and THEN if you can unwind them and see the contract for what it probably really is, you can start talking about the terms.
Yes. Work the back mathwords

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I find your comment misleading.

It's true Tom Brady never took money less than his "perceived" market value.

Its true Tom Brady didn't give the Patriots any financial discounts. He took what he felt he was worth.

However, Tom Brady's sacrifice wasn't that he took less, Brady's sacrifice was not taking more.

This guy won MVPs, won Super Bowls, and didn't try to break the bank for Robert Kraft.

He was never greedy.

He kept the construction of the roster, which is a direct correlation for success, in his mind.

I was never a Tom Brady, I'm still not. But I respect the hell out of him, because year after year since I was 16, Brady has proven he is all about winning.

For the first time I find myself really questioning is that what Rodgers is all about. Only time will tell.
I know this is old, but Andrew Brandt discussed this very thing on 97.3 the game today

And he posted an article on it
I find your comment misleading.

It's true Tom Brady never took money less than his "perceived" market value.

Its true Tom Brady didn't give the Patriots any financial discounts. He took what he felt he was worth.

However, Tom Brady's sacrifice wasn't that he took less, Brady's sacrifice was not taking more.

This guy won MVPs, won Super Bowls, and didn't try to break the bank for Robert Kraft.

He was never greedy.

He kept the construction of the roster, which is a direct correlation for success, in his mind.

I was never a Tom Brady, I'm still not. But I respect the hell out of him, because year after year since I was 16, Brady has proven he is all about winning.

For the first time I find myself really questioning is that what Rodgers is all about. Only time will tell.

Brandt talked about this today and wrote an article last year

“All elite quarterbacks are willing to take less cap to allow the team to have short-term cap room, restructuring to push out cap proration into later years, and Brady did in both New England and in Tampa. But here is the difference: Not only did Brady sacrifice Cap, but he also took less cash! No other elite quarterback has done that. That doesn’t help the team around him as much as it helps ownership, as it simply lowered the Krafts’ labor expense every year.”

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowry's contract was restructured today, freeing up $1.1Mil on the '22 cap. Some are guessing that is so GB can extend a player. UNforunately that pushes that $1.1Mil into '23's salary cap as more dead money. The salary cap hell-hole keeps getting deeper :( .

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Lowry's contract was restructured today, freeing up $1.1Mil on the '22 cap. Some are guessing that is so GB can extend a player. UNforunately that pushes that $1.1Mil into '23's salary cap as more dead money. The salary cap hell-hole keeps getting deeper :( .
Or it just means they plan on keeping Lowry next season. The day that guy is not on the roster anymore is a good day. According to Over The Cap, Lowry is the 5th highest paid player for the 2022 season with a cap number of $8 million. That's just ridiculous and in my opinion mismanagement. Everyone wants to talk about how bad Rodgers contract is. Sure, it's not great, but every team will pay quarterbacks. Contracts like Lowry's are the ones that are cap killers. Preston Smith is at $11.5 million. Solid player, but again, overpaid and a cap killer. 2023: Bakhtiari is at $29 million, Smith at $13 million, Clark $24 million, Alexander at $20 million, Jones $20 million. These are the contracts that killed the cap. Everyone pays QBs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or it just means they plan on keeping Lowry next season. The day that guy is not on the roster anymore is a good day. According to Over The Cap, Lowry is the 5th highest paid player for the 2022 season with a cap number of $8 million. That's just ridiculous and in my opinion mismanagement. Everyone wants to talk about how bad Rodgers contract is. Sure, it's not great, but every team will pay quarterbacks. Contracts like Lowry's are the ones that are cap killers. Preston Smith is at $11.5 million. Solid player, but again, overpaid and a cap killer. 2023: Bakhtiari is at $29 million, Smith at $13 million, Clark $24 million, Alexander at $20 million, Jones $20 million. These are the contracts that killed the cap. Everyone pays QBs.
I think Lowery is all but gone, unless he is willing to play at a very team friendly salary. He's a good backup, but is part of the problem on the DL.

Won't surprise me to see them use that money and anything else they can scrape together to sign Gary, Jenkins or both to new contracts.

I fully agree on the "cap killers" that you listed. Of that group, Aaron Jones is my favorite player for what he puts out there on the field (110%), but is still way overpaid for a RB. Alexander appears to have taken the money and run or should I say walked....slowly on the job. Totally unimpressed with him this season, hope a new DC and DB coach can light a fire under him. Kenny Clark, beast of a man, but I don't think he is worth what he is getting paid. Easy to say Bahk was way overpaid now, but I think even without the injury, it is a crap load of money to tie up in an O-lineman. The injury and having him only play in 20 games in 3 seasons, just puts an explanation point on the risk of throwing that much money on one player. Yeah, I know a LT is a key cog to protect your QB, but the Packers were 13-4 without him.

I think Gute struck paydirt on some really good cheap free agent signings this year in Rudy Ford and Nixon. I hope they find the money to resign both of them. I'm also anxious to see more of Hollis. In his brief playing time Sunday night, he looked like he was playing all out. Which is something I think is lacking on the defense this year and potentially one of the biggest reasons for their poor play. I put that on the coaches. Players start questioning what the coaches are doing with schemes and adjustments and you have lost them. "Benching" Savage for a few plays Sunday night isn't the answer either. That felt like a bad parent giving his kid a 30 second timeout to "go think about it."

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually the Packers restructuring Lowry's deal doesn't have any negative effect on the 2023 cap. With the $1.1 million in cap space created for the 2022 season being allowed to roll over into next year it's a wash.

The only way this makes any sense is if the Packers want to make a move to spend the cap space available for this season though.

Or it just means they plan on keeping Lowry next season.

I don't think that's the reasoning behind the move as the Packers could have extended his deal to make sure of it. Lowry is still headed towards being a free agent next offseason.

Everyone wants to talk about how bad Rodgers contract is. Sure, it's not great, but every team will pay quarterbacks. Contracts like Lowry's are the ones that are cap killers. Preston Smith is at $11.5 million. Solid player, but again, overpaid and a cap killer. 2023: Bakhtiari is at $29 million, Smith at $13 million, Clark $24 million, Alexander at $20 million, Jones $20 million. These are the contracts that killed the cap. Everyone pays QBs.

While teams need to hit on expensive players every other one pays for premium talent at other positions as well.

I agree that Lowry's contract was bad though. Just like exercising the fifth year option on Savage.

Krabs

Reaction score
I fully expect P. Smith, Lowry, and Amos to be cap casualties. Crosby I kind of expect to retire. He doesn't save us much by doing so. They have to extend Gary and restructure Jones. I would be surprised if they keep Lewis around. We would roughly have $5 million in dead money, but would save quite a bit. Just Smith and Amos saves a lot. I think there is some wiggle room to sign Jenkins, Nijman, Barnes and a few other in house guys on the cheap. I think we can bring in a few free agents as well. Nothing outlandish. We desperately need rookies to progress and hit in this next draft. There is talent on the team, but some pretty big holes as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Amos, only because he seems to be slowing down some, but he's still pretty steady on the back end on a very unstable team. his loss could blow up even worse than it has. I don't see Preston being let go. He's not that much in the grand scheme of things and his numbers might not be huge this year, but he's a very good and very reliable player.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect P. Smith, Lowry, and Amos to be cap casualties. Crosby I kind of expect to retire. He doesn't save us much by doing so. They have to extend Gary and restructure Jones. I would be surprised if they keep Lewis around. We would roughly have $5 million in dead money, but would save quite a bit. Just Smith and Amos saves a lot. I think there is some wiggle room to sign Jenkins, Nijman, Barnes and a few other in house guys on the cheap. I think we can bring in a few free agents as well. Nothing outlandish. We desperately need rookies to progress and hit in this next draft. There is talent on the team, but some pretty big holes as well.
What do we do at Safety if both Amos and Savage go?

Krabs

Reaction score
I could see Amos, only because he seems to be slowing down some, but he's still pretty steady on the back end on a very unstable team. his loss could blow up even worse than it has. I don't see Preston being let go. He's not that much in the grand scheme of things and his numbers might not be huge this year, but he's a very good and very reliable player.
Like I said, he is on the books for $13 million. How is that not a lot? He's one of the highest paid on the team. If they want to fill any holes he needs to go or restructure for a lot less.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect P. Smith, Lowry, and Amos to be cap casualties. Crosby I kind of expect to retire. He doesn't save us much by doing so. They have to extend Gary and restructure Jones. I would be surprised if they keep Lewis around. We would roughly have $5 million in dead money, but would save quite a bit.
In 2023 these guys are FA's AND GB has dead money of: Amos = $7.950Mil, Lowry = $3.008Mil, Reed = $1.492Mil, Cobb = $1.392Mil, Lewis = $1.050Mil, Crosby = $1.005Mil, and Tonyan = $.5mil. Not only are there holes in the roster & these guys need to be replaced, but GB is carrying their dead money on the cap of: $16.397Mil. IF you cut Preston Smith you save $3.28Mil but ADD dead money of an additional $9.76Mil AND need to replace him/his production.

Elgton Jenkins and Allen Lazard are UFA's & will get paid by some team... restructuring Lowry this week to free-up $1.1Mil will more than likely be used to extend one of those 2 (or Tonyan?) but I hope not. Gute needs to get control of the cap at some point.

Members online

Latest posts