2022 Pick #92 Sean Rhyan

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryhan was sitting on the pines not because he was injured. It was because he sucked. Up to this point, he has all the trappings, unfortunately, of another pick in a long line of 3rd round busts. Completely whiffing every year on 3rd rounders is one of the main reasons the roster always has easily exploitable holes.

Reaction score
I did for the records sake present the concept of that as "imagine a world" typically this means it isn't something expected.
You gotta a little John Lennon in ya
I like it :cool:

I do remember him playing at both Tackle Spots, but projecting him to move inside if he couldn’t float. He’s really a RT. Freshman All American turned 1st Team All PAC-12 in 2021. He gave up 1 Sack his Sr season and just 2 Sacks allowed across his 3 year Collegiate career. A Junior means for me that he’s still somewhat a Raw project.

We shouldn’t give up on him just yet he’s a project. His early suspension will either give him renewed commitment or if he doesn’t grow up they’ll run him out of town.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I did for the records sake present the concept of that as "imagine a world" typically this means it isn't something expected.

Well tyni, imagine a world in which Rodgers counts only the veteran minimum against the cap next season and there's no dead money involved in either 2023 or future seasons.

While that might be fun for some I don't see any point of discussing unrealistic scenarios.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well tyni, imagine a world in which Rodgers counts only the veteran minimum against the cap next season and there's no dead money involved in either 2023 or future seasons.

While that might be fun for some I don't see any point of discussing unrealistic scenarios.
Well to be fair one of those actually is possible, albeit slight, while the other isn’t. There is a difference there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well to be fair one of those actually is possible, albeit slight, while the other isn’t. There is a difference there.

I'm well aware I was completely exaggerating. I don't think it's smart to speculate on a scenario I consider unrealistic in the first place though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as it is grossly too soon to christen Watson worth the capital to trade up, it's grossly too soon to declare Rhyan a bust as well. Both put forth year ones that make someone well more than 50/50 on predicting their futures, but we've seen it time and time again rookies come into the league and never produce like their rookie years...or take till year two or three to actually be what folks saw initially.

Forums are for discussions Capt, some have more realistic chances than others. I'll be sure to share my confidence level with every projection or thought in future, may help explain a thought better.

Reaction score
This didn't age well.
It’s easy to pile on Sean and ok, maybe he deserves some scrutiny. That said, there’s a reason GB spent a higher draft selection on a Player who only started in 29 games during his Collegiate days. This was likely a planned project all along.

He’s got great size at 6’5X320lb. and significant reps playing at Tackle at a pretty high level. We already know how our team values positional diversity.
Dante was correct, he projected moreso in the NFL at Guard. That in itself could hold him back a year (due to the conversion) It’s not to say he won’t succeed at Tackle, but his chances are higher getting a Guard spot and earning Tackle the way many guys do, as an injury replacement.

He was also competing with Zach Tom. Who played in every last game over four seasons and had 36 starts. Tom also only allowed 2 Sacks in 36 starts, which is phenomenal. These two could’ve easily been reversed in draft order, but it’s more about projection and our FO obviously thought Rhyan could develop into a Starter. Key word is Develop

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Just as it is grossly too soon to christen Watson worth the capital to trade up, it's grossly too soon to declare Rhyan a bust as well. Both put forth year ones that make someone well more than 50/50 on predicting their futures, but we've seen it time and time again rookies come into the league and never produce like their rookie years...or take till year two or three to actually be what folks saw initially.

Rhyan not only struggled during his rookie season but was suspended for using PEDs. That makes me extremely hesitant to believe he will be able to develop into a decent player at the pro level.

Forums are for discussions Capt, some have more realistic chances than others. I'll be sure to share my confidence level with every projection or thought in future, may help explain a thought better.

I'm all for having discussions on various topics. I don't see the point of talking about something you even mentioned is most likely unrealistic in the first place though.

It’s easy to pile on Sean and ok, maybe he deserves some scrutiny. That said, there’s a reason GB spent a higher draft selection on a Player who only started in 29 games during his Collegiate days. This was likely a planned project all along.

I truly despise how many projects Gutekunst is selecting in the draft while being in a win now mode.

Reaction score
I truly despise how many projects Gutekunst is selecting in the draft while being in a win now mode.
I actually agree with you more n more on that part. 1 or 2 instances can be acceptable. Yet it seems like every other move is built for “down the road”. Our FO pushing of player contributions further out are bordering on annoying at times.

Push the draft contributions more in a rebuild. In Win now go get more seasoned players even if it sacrifices some long term players ceiling. Gary was a good example we knew he needed time. Maybe an exception but gosh we overlap Edge right after we buy 2 high priced FA OLB and still had Fackrell playing well. What was that all about? Ok he’s turned out good 4 seasons later, but that isn’t the point.

Follow it with drafting a QB the next season? That’s 2 Drafts that should’ve been an aggressive approach and we went softy. Those are moves you make if you’re expecting to have a down year or two.

Our FO is below average at adaptability to real time seasonal circumstances imo. Sometimes really smart people really outsmart themselves.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You gotta a little John Lennon in ya
I like it :cool:

I do remember him playing at both Tackle Spots, but projecting him to move inside if he couldn’t float. He’s really a RT. Freshman All American turned 1st Team All PAC-12 in 2021. He gave up 1 Sack his Sr season and just 2 Sacks allowed across his 3 year Collegiate career. A Junior means for me that he’s still somewhat a Raw project.

We shouldn’t give up on him just yet he’s a project. His early suspension will either give him renewed commitment or if he doesn’t grow up they’ll run him out of town.
Agree. People need to be patient. TJ Lang took a while too and had some growing up to do when he got to Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree. People need to be patient. TJ Lang took a while too and had some growing up to do when he got to Green Bay.

Lang was active for every single game during his rookie season and played on offense in 11 of it though. In addition he wasn't suspended for using PEDs either.

I'm especially concerned about Rhyan not even being good enough to get on the field while using PEDs. That doesn't make me optimistic he will be able to develop into a decent player without them.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lang was active for every single game during his rookie season and played on offense in 11 of it though. In addition he wasn't suspended for using PEDs either.

I'm especially concerned about Rhyan not even being good enough to get on the field while using PEDs. That doesn't make me optimistic he will be able to develop into a decent player without them.
Yep, he was active immediately, even though he wasn't near as ready as Sitton.
Alcohol was Lang's vice and he stated himself that his lack of professionalism hindered his development. His own words clearly trump your points. Do more research next time.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow, writing-off Rhyan after one season? We have no idea what, or why he was taking something banned... I think he has just as much chance to "mature" & come into camp ready to compete as to wash-out, so I'm looking forward to TC. We need good, strong OL's to better the run blocking so I'm not ready to cast-away a 6'-5", 320 lb OT/OG just yet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yosh Nijman - if we'd given up on him even two years in everything he has done would have never occurred....and he would arguably be one a bottom 1/3 level NFL RT starter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked the Rhyan pick, but I have to say, my outlook has taken a dive. I'm certainly ready to give him another chance. Even the Incredible Bulk/Bust turned into a serviceable Olineman, albeit for the Colts, so not all is lost. But from the potential he seemed to have to what he looked like and then PEDs on top of it, his long term projections for me certainly took a hit.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked the Rhyan pick, but I have to say, my outlook has taken a dive. I'm certainly ready to give him another chance. Even the Incredible Bulk/Bust turned into a serviceable Olineman, albeit for the Colts, so not all is lost. But from the potential he seemed to have to what he looked like and then PEDs on top of it, his long term projections for me certainly took a hit.

Right! PEDs is about as red a flag as one can get IMO - I believe it is ignorant at this point to have lofty expectations for him, but I also know what he put on film in college was a third round type OL...question is what is he clean if that was also while on PEDs?

He'll get a year at least to prove it...but I wouldn't look for us to keep him eating a roster spot beyond 2023 if promise isn't shown...especially if say we draft some clearly better OL and guys like Runyan and Newman are infront of him even for depth guard spots.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really have many (if any) hopes for Rhyan at this point but I do feel it bears mentioning that "PEDs" can cover a wide variety of substances taken for a variety of reasons and as far as I know it was never disclosed what Rhyan was found to be taking and/or for what purpose.

Obviously "Performance-enhancing drugs" implies something that enhances performance (duh), but I think the easy assumption is to take that to mean he was on something that would give him an edge on the field - stronger, faster, more endurance, etc - and that even with this unnatural edge he wasn't able to beat out his competition to get on the field.

And let me be clear that this may have well been the case. But it might not have been, either. People take steroids/PEDs for a variety of reasons. Some of those are certainly to add strength, get stronger and faster, and so on. But other times it's to recover quicker from an injury. It's to help decrease recovery time between workouts. And so on. So I don't really have any idea what exactly he was doing and for what reason, but all that to say that I don't entirely agree with the notion that he wasn't able to get on the field with the aid of PEDs so therefore he definitely won't be able to without them.

Reaction score
Another one was Bak. He was initially undersized if you recall. He spent an offseason packing on 15lbs of muscle and focusing on strength training and it paid off wonderfully.

We just can’t give up on guys after 1 season. Normally by earlier the second season we get a more accurate depiction of what we’ve got. J’mon Moore is a good example of this, but in the wrong direction etc.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep, he was active immediately, even though he wasn't near as ready as Sitton.
Alcohol was Lang's vice and he stated himself that his lack of professionalism hindered his development. His own words clearly trump your points. Do more research next time.

What does that have to do with anything I said?

Wow, writing-off Rhyan after one season? We have no idea what, or why he was taking something banned...

I don't really have many (if any) hopes for Rhyan at this point but I do feel it bears mentioning that "PEDs" can cover a wide variety of substances taken for a variety of reasons and as far as I know it was never disclosed what Rhyan was found to be taking and/or for what purpose.

Obviously "Performance-enhancing drugs" implies something that enhances performance (duh), but I think the easy assumption is to take that to mean he was on something that would give him an edge on the field - stronger, faster, more endurance, etc - and that even with this unnatural edge he wasn't able to beat out his competition to get on the field.

And let me be clear that this may have well been the case. But it might not have been, either. People take steroids/PEDs for a variety of reasons. Some of those are certainly to add strength, get stronger and faster, and so on. But other times it's to recover quicker from an injury. It's to help decrease recovery time between workouts. And so on. So I don't really have any idea what exactly he was doing and for what reason, but all that to say that I don't entirely agree with the notion that he wasn't able to get on the field with the aid of PEDs so therefore he definitely won't be able to without them.

According to the NFL PED policy Rhyan had a positive test for anabolic steroids, otherwise he wouldn't have been suspended for six games. It might be too early to write him off but I don't feel confident that he will develop into a decent player at the NFL level as he wasn't even able to be active for a single game while using some banned substance.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything I said?

According to the NFL PED policy Rhyan had a positive test for anabolic steroids, otherwise he wouldn't have been suspended for six games. It might be too early to write him off but I don't feel confident that he will develop into a decent player at the NFL level as he wasn't even able to be active for a single game while using some banned substance.
Everything. The guard positions in Green Bay at the time Lang was drafted was probably the weakest positions on the team. Rhyan came in against a lot of competition. Lang's 3rd season was when he started to really show improvement if I remember correctly. Just like most guys. Unless Rhyan is causing problems with the staff during off season workouts and practices they aren't going to get rid of him until he's had more time to develop imo. In Green Bay, rookies are given time and patience. We aren't the Jets or the Raiders.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everything. The guard positions in Green Bay at the time Lang was drafted was probably the weakest positions on the team. Rhyan came in against a lot of competition. Lang's 3rd season was when he started to really show improvement if I remember correctly. Just like most guys. Unless Rhyan is causing problems with the staff during off season workouts and practices they aren't going to get rid of him until he's had more time to develop imo. In Green Bay, rookies are given time and patience. We aren't the Jets or the Raiders.

Once again, that has absolutely nothing to do with anything I posted.

But, nevertheless I will tell you that the talent level at guard at the time of the Packers drafting Lang had no bearing on him playing during his rookie season as he was exclusively used as a tackle in 2009.

In addition I disagree that Runyan and Hanson/Newman being the starters at guard at the beginning of this past season should have prevented Rhyan from being active for a single game if he had shown any promise.

Especially considering he was using anabolic steroids, which got him suspended late in 2022 and definitely qualifies as causing troubles.

As a side note, Amari Rodgers might disagree with you that the Packers are more patient than other teams with their draft picks.

Latest posts