2022 draft in greenbay?

Sky King

Reaction score
Football fans? they'd gladly come to GB. Football fans have this on their bucket list for decades and make a trip specifically to GB and they're not even fans of the Packers.
And the mission is accomplished by attending any regular-season game, and that comes without the need for decades to pass by before checking it off their lists. Besides, the games are what make the venue so attractive to fans.

They'll exist with or without the NFL or the draft. They won't even notice if the NFL comes to town
Agreed. You'll notice that it did not even make the radar on the April 2020 events list for Las Vegas. That surprised me, too. Automobile traffic on the Strip will be shut-down for the draft but that will not affect the locals all that much. The same thing happens from time to time, New Year's Eve being just one of the examples. Locals don't go to the Strip or Downtown if they can at all help it. Employee entrances and parking are located in the backs of the hotels anyway. I live less than 10 miles away and I have no desire whatsoever to attend the draft. I would not travel to Green Bay for the draft, either, but I would go there for a game -- something that I've done many times in the past. Milwaukee, games, too, when they had them. And "NO" I would not attend the draft if it were held in Milwaukee either.

The GB has given the NFL a lot.
And without revenue sharing the Green Bay Packers would not exist today, so it's been reciprocal. Without knowing for sure whether or not all 32 teams will share in the revenue generated by the draft, Green Bay locals have to hope that the decision does not hinge upon finances.

They'd fill as many hotel rooms and get as many spectators as anywhere else, I have zero doubt of that at all.
What hotel rooms? Logistics are not a minor consideration and rooms are only the tip of the iceberg as to what Green Bay would need to provide to make this event a success.

Football fans will flock here for the draft like they do every other time there's a draft and probably even more so.
Good luck with the logistics.

It IS a football destination for football fans. The NFL i'm sure recognizes that.
I'm sure they do, too. The city knows how to handle 70,000 fans, many of whom are local anyway. Just as they also know that it's the game itself that attracts fans combined with the inherent charm that Green Bay exudes on game day. It's my personal favorite venue for attending an NFL game.

They had big tents, but I guess they could do that in Green Bay too.
It's done all over the world. They are known as "pavillions" and HVAC systems would not be a problem to install, just expensive. Power is also doable via huge semi-trailer sized generators that also use up to 2,500 gallons of diesel fuel, per day, when under a full load. They're not free either. Or, a number of the smaller generators could be utilized if the need can be met with fewer resources. Still not free. Of course, this all adds significantly to the cost of producing such an event The draw on the most localized electrical sources at a Green Bay draft site may not be able to handle the added load, whereas in some places that's already part of the infrastructure. They don't just plug into outlets on the sides of buildings to draw the kind of power needed for this sort of extravaganza.

And then there's the Building and Fire Codes that must be addressed and possibly amended ahead of time. The tragedy at the Indiana State Fair a few years back altered the landscape for making such events code compliant (stage collapse due to weather) and I doubt that Green Bay is ready to deal with 200,000 plus out-of-towners without adding temporary resources that will cost local taxpayers additional expense. And then there's the insurance, portable restrooms for 200,000 or more, added air charters or temporary commercial flights added, aircraft maintenance at Austin Straubel, ground transportation, and many other logistics.

Also, there are public safety issues to consider. There will be plenty of OT for Police & Fire personnel for the taxpayers to pay for but they may not have enough personnel on their rosters to handle the triple or quadrupling of the population over several days. And the hospitals will get much busier, too. The ERs will see a spike upward of activity. So will the jails. Every aspect of government and medical services will be stressed like never before. And let's not forget about Homeland Security issues and their related logistical needs.

And here's hoping the weather cooperates.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football fans? they'd gladly come to GB. Football fans have this on their bucket list for decades and make a trip specifically to GB and they're not even fans of the Packers. No kidding Vegas would be more "fun". The entire city exists for excess and entertainment. They'll exist with or without the NFL or the draft. They won't even notice if the NFL comes to town

The GB has given the NFL a lot. GB and their fans have helped fill stadiums for those teams that don't have a prayer of seeing 30K a game if it weren't for Packer fans. Packer fans have been loyal and steadfast thru it all. The first images of the Packer sweep and Vince Lombardi etc have spawned more football fans than the city of Vegas could in the next 100 years. The team, the city, the fans all deserve to, and can host the NFL draft. They'd fill as many hotel rooms and get as many spectators as anywhere else, I have zero doubt of that at all. Football fans will flock here for the draft like they do every other time there's a draft and probably even more so. It IS a football destination for football fans. The NFL i'm sure recognizes that.

I am certainly not trying to put down the city of Green Bay, nor Milwaukee. I would love to visit Lambue field one day. I don't think the problem with the draft in Green Bay is a problem of interest. It is more a problem of infrastructure. Green Bay does very well at hosting NFL games. If the draft only drew 120,000 fans I think it would be ok. If the draft is going to draw 600,000 fans like it did last year, Green Bay can't handle it. I am interested to see how Cleveland handles the draft in 2021. No offense to Cleveland but Nashville is a better tourist destination and is set up as such.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If their goal is to draw 600 thousand people, they're going to have to ignore almost the entirety of the NFL in ever hosting anything of importance other than a football game. GB would have no problem hosting the NFL draft. I"ve watched a lot of NFL drafts over the years and I can't remember EVER seeing a contingent of more than a few thousand fans present and 30 or so draftees let alone a few hundred thousand.

If GB can host and NFCCG, they can host the draft.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the mission is accomplished by attending any regular-season game, and that comes without the need for decades to pass by before checking it off their lists. Besides, the games are what make the venue so attractive to fans.

Agreed. You'll notice that it did not even make the radar on the April 2020 events list for Las Vegas. That surprised me, too. Automobile traffic on the Strip will be shut-down for the draft but that will not affect the locals all that much. The same thing happens from time to time, New Year's Eve being just one of the examples. Locals don't go to the Strip or Downtown if they can at all help it. Employee entrances and parking are located in the backs of the hotels anyway. I live less than 10 miles away and I have no desire whatsoever to attend the draft. I would not travel to Green Bay for the draft, either, but I would go there for a game -- something that I've done many times in the past. Milwaukee, games, too, when they had them. And "NO" I would not attend the draft if it were held in Milwaukee either.

And without revenue sharing the Green Bay Packers would not exist today, so it's been reciprocal. Without knowing for sure whether or not all 32 teams will share in the revenue generated by the draft, Green Bay locals have to hope that the decision does not hinge upon finances.

What hotel rooms? Logistics are not a minor consideration and rooms are only the tip of the iceberg as to what Green Bay would need to provide to make this event a success.

Good luck with the logistics.

I'm sure they do, too. The city knows how to handle 70,000 fans, many of whom are local anyway. Just as they also know that it's the game itself that attracts fans combined with the inherent charm that Green Bay exudes on game day. It's my personal favorite venue for attending an NFL game.

It's done all over the world. They are known as "pavillions" and HVAC systems would not be a problem to install, just expensive. Power is also doable via huge semi-trailer sized generators that also use up to 2,500 gallons of diesel fuel, per day, when under a full load. They're not free either. Or, a number of the smaller generators could be utilized if the need can be met with fewer resources. Still not free. Of course, this all adds significantly to the cost of producing such an event The draw on the most localized electrical sources at a Green Bay draft site may not be able to handle the added load, whereas in some places that's already part of the infrastructure. They don't just plug into outlets on the sides of buildings to draw the kind of power needed for this sort of extravaganza.

And then there's the Building and Fire Codes that must be addressed and possibly amended ahead of time. The tragedy at the Indiana State Fair a few years back altered the landscape for making such events code compliant (stage collapse due to weather) and I doubt that Green Bay is ready to deal with 200,000 plus out-of-towners without adding temporary resources that will cost local taxpayers additional expense. And then there's the insurance, portable restrooms for 200,000 or more, added air charters or temporary commercial flights added, aircraft maintenance at Austin Straubel, ground transportation, and many other logistics.

Also, there are public safety issues to consider. There will be plenty of OT for Police & Fire personnel for the taxpayers to pay for but they may not have enough personnel on their rosters to handle the triple or quadrupling of the population over several days. And the hospitals will get much busier, too. The ERs will see a spike upward of activity. So will the jails. Every aspect of government and medical services will be stressed like never before. And let's not forget about Homeland Security issues and their related logistical needs.

And here's hoping the weather cooperates.
since it's all logistics, i'll just hire UPS. You tell me, what does the draft entail that GB can't handle? Any major metro the odds that you are 10 minutes from your event are very small. How far do you think people were put up when Jerry World held the Super Bowl? Next door? NO, they were an hour away at least many times. That puts you roughly in MKE BFD.

This notion the draft is such an extravaganza there is no way GB could host it is laughable. They have the venue, there are beds within reason like every other event across America and they have the backdrop.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If their goal is to draw 600 thousand people, they're going to have to ignore almost the entirety of the NFL in ever hosting anything of importance other than a football game. GB would have no problem hosting the NFL draft. I"ve watched a lot of NFL drafts over the years and I can't remember EVER seeing a contingent of more than a few thousand fans present and 30 or so draftees let alone a few hundred thousand.

If GB can host and NFCCG, they can host the draft.

You must not have watched too many of the recent drafts. There was 600,000 people that attended the event in Nashville last year. "The three-day 2019 NFL Draft set an attendance record for the league. The league announced estimated attendance of 600,000, including visitors on Lower Broadway by the draft stage and those who visited the Draft Experience exhibits by Nissan Stadium.Apr 29, 2019."

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvil...-draft-sets-attendance-attendance-record.html

The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is home to 6.8 million people. Comparing it to Green Bay is ludicrous. If 600,000 people showed up at Green Bay it would more than quintruple the population overnight. You really should look up these numbers before posting such nonsense.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must not have watched too many of the recent drafts. There was 600,000 people that attended the event in Nashville last year. "The three-day 2019 NFL Draft set an attendance record for the league. The league announced estimated attendance of 600,000, including visitors on Lower Broadway by the draft stage and those who visited the Draft Experience exhibits by Nissan Stadium.Apr 29, 2019."

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvil...-draft-sets-attendance-attendance-record.html

The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is home to 6.8 million people. Comparing it to Green Bay is ludicrous. If 600,000 people showed up at Green Bay it would more than quintruple the population overnight. You really should look up these numbers before posting such nonsense.
Sure I haven't. and the attendance record is what is required to be able to host?

Radio City Music hall hosted it for a long time and seats 2/3's of what the old Brown County Veterans arena held. GB is more than capable of hosting a draft weekend.

and I think the NFL fluffs their "estimates" for attendance. I have serious reservations believing 600K people went to TN to take in the draft. I'd be surprised if 10K including teams, prospects and media made the special trip.

and I didn't compare dallas fort worth metroplex in any other fashion than in that driving distance, GB has plenty of hotel beds to make it work and the drive won't be any different than anywhere else.

Sky King

Reaction score
since it's all logistics, i'll just hire UPS. You tell me, what does the draft entail that GB can't handle? Any major metro the odds that you are 10 minutes from your event are very small. How far do you think people were put up when Jerry World held the Super Bowl? Next door? NO, they were an hour away at least many times. That puts you roughly in MKE BFD.

This notion the draft is such an extravaganza there is no way GB could host it is laughable. They have the venue, there are beds within reason like every other event across America and they have the backdrop.

Your hearts in the right place and I'll give you that. Ignoring the absolute importance of logistics is not anything that I would count on the NFL doing though. If there is a private but unspoken rotational agreement in place for which NFL city hosts the draft then Green Bay will get its turn. Be careful what you ask for. I hope the rewards to the local economy and status make dealing with the negatives worth it. For anyone living in Green Bay, you may be in for both a pleasant and some very unpleasant and expensive surprises that will be coming your way.

Otherwise, what's so bad about being a beautiful very small town that ironically happens to be home to perhaps the most storied franchise in the NFL? No other city can make that claim. Why take being too small to properly host such a large gathering so personal as you seem to be doing? Why not celebrate the positives of Green Bay rather than reach for something that's perhaps too daunting and way too much trouble for a city its size?

There's no shame in being the quaint small town that Green Bay happens to be. Every city should be so lucky. Gameday is fantastic and I would recommend that any fan who wants to see Lambeau Field attend a game there someday. Nobody does it better. Green Bay's identity is one-of-a-kind. It's a high compliment for Green Bay to just be itself. Trying to be like a bigger city would actually be a come-down.

But the NFL draft? Let some other metropolitan areas deal with all the logistical headaches, expenses, crimes, and rowdiness that's absolutely certain to be involved. All those types of problems have been just down the road from me for the past thirty years. I've seen it close up. With all due respect, you don't know what you don't know. IMHO, you really don't want to find out either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your hearts in the right place and I'll give you that. Ignoring the absolute importance of logistics is not anything that I would count on the NFL doing though. If there is a private but unspoken rotational agreement in place for which NFL city hosts the draft then Green Bay will get its turn. Be careful what you ask for. I hope the rewards to the local economy and status make dealing with the negatives worth it. For anyone living in Green Bay, you may be in for both a pleasant and some very unpleasant and expensive surprises that will be coming your way.

Otherwise, what's so bad about being a beautiful very small town that ironically happens to be home to perhaps the most storied franchise in the NFL? No other city can make that claim. Why take being too small to properly host such a large gathering so personal as you seem to be doing? Why not celebrate the positives of Green Bay rather than reach for something that's perhaps too daunting and way too much trouble for a city its size?

There's no shame in being the quaint small town that Green Bay happens to be. Every city should be so lucky. Gameday is fantastic and I would recommend that any fan who wants to see Lambeau Field attend a game there someday. Nobody does it better. Green Bay's identity is one-of-a-kind. It's a high compliment for Green Bay to just be itself. Trying to be like a bigger city would actually be a come-down.

But the NFL draft? Let some other metropolitan areas deal with all the logistical headaches, expenses, crimes, and rowdiness that's absolutely certain to be involved. All those types of problems have been just down the road from me for the past thirty years. I've seen it close up. With all due respect, you don't know what you don't know. IMHO, you really don't want to find out either.
why is it such a logistical nightmare? Serious question. I don't believe for a second that 600 thousand people are going to show up for the draft. in ANY CITY. There are events around every pro bowl, every super bowl every NFL season kick off since they've started going it 20 years ago and they do last multiple days and I don't think any of those events of much more prominence than the draft draw 600 thousand people.

I think they may have had 600K people happen to walk by one of their events just by the simple nature of putting it in a big city.

Seriously, Radio City Music hall Hosted the draft for how many years in a row recently and it sits 6K thousand or so. that's less than 1/10th of the people this city hosts every game weekend and 1/100th of what someone is trying to convince me the draft draws to a city? Give me a break. 600K people aren't coming to run a timed 40 yard dash with an NFL logo on the field if only 6K are getting into sit thru the actual draft.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While the number makes it seem like an easy decision, I don't think it is as easy as that. While I think Jones is a mile ahead of Williams, I think Williams personality more than likely was a big part of shaping our team's culture last season. I'd hate to risk losing that. I'd much rather find a way to keep him at a lower number. By the way, I like to think we keep Ervin as well, very cheap.

Sure I haven't. and the attendance record is what is required to be able to host?

Radio City Music hall hosted it for a long time and seats 2/3's of what the old Brown County Veterans arena held. GB is more than capable of hosting a draft weekend.

and I think the NFL fluffs their "estimates" for attendance. I have serious reservations believing 600K people went to TN to take in the draft. I'd be surprised if 10K including teams, prospects and media made the special trip.

and I didn't compare dallas fort worth metroplex in any other fashion than in that driving distance, GB has plenty of hotel beds to make it work and the drive won't be any different than anywhere else.

You clearly haven't watched the draft in over 4 years. The draft event is not held in Radio City Music Hall anylonger. You can have serious reservations believeing 600k people went to to TN to tak in the draft. You can have serious reservations believing that a man landed on the moon. You are clearly not up to date on the event that is the modern NFL draft.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with the logistics of holding the draft in Green Bay. Remember, this isn't 2 teams and their fans coming to a game, with most of the Packer fans living within driving distance and not requiring hotels. This is 32 teams fan bases, draft staff and their media base, arriving for what has become more and more of an event, just like the combine and anything else the NFL and Networks can make money at, they want to make it bigger and better every year.

Back in 2017, Murphy himself said hosting the draft in Green Bay is a long shot and acknowledged the housing issue.

"The Packers are hoping to host the NFL Draft in 2019, 2020 or 2021. Murphy feels while the weather could be an issue, having enough hotels rooms for an event like the NFL Draft is a major concern.

“I think (the hotel space is) certainly not what you’d need for a home game or a Super Bowl,” Murphy explained. “Lodge Kohler would be -- having a nice hotel would probably help -- not that we don’t have other nice hotels. So we’ll see. I keep my fingers crossed, but I’d say it’s probably a long shot.”

Will 600,000 show up in Green Bay for the draft? Probably not, but if the NFL feels that Green Bay and its surrounding infrastructure forces a dilution of their product and lessens the money made, then I can see them saying "sorry, we are looking for a location that can accommodate the crowds we saw in Nashville. Whether fans in Green Bay want to believe that 600,000 number or not, it will be the number the NFL uses. Why? Because like any product, it helps sell their brand.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You clearly haven't watched the draft in over 4 years. The draft event is not held in Radio City Music Hall anylonger. You can have serious reservations believeing 600k people went to to TN to tak in the draft. You can have serious reservations believing that a man landed on the moon. You are clearly not up to date on the event that is the modern NFL draft.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Right on LOL

600K people just comping at the bit to go run a 40yd dash and throw a football thru some holes for the "fan experience"

They held it just a couple years ago in Chicago in a place that seats under 4K and you're tellling me 596,000 other people are coming for the "experince" of of saying they were in the city the draft was held?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They held it just a couple years ago in Chicago in a place that seats under 4K and you're tellling me 596,000 other people are coming for the "experince" of of saying they were in the city the draft was held?

Believe it or not, over 250,000 people reportedly came to Chicago for that 3 day event in 2015 and again in 2016. It isn't just showing up to sit/stand inside a pavilion to witness the selections, its being in an NFL City to experience the 3 day Draft and everything that goes on around it.

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
why is it such a logistical nightmare? Serious question.
Let me ask you this: Do you live in a city that had to plan for an event that anticipated a turnout as large as the draft could turn out to be? More importantly, were you one of the principal planners for it? I'm not trying to embarrass you. People don't know what they don't know. It's everyone's challenge in matters that they're unfamiliar with. I'm merely trying to give you the benefit of my own experience in such related matters, especially post 9/11.

Logistics could not be more fundamentally important to large gatherings and it would be impossible to be truly successful without them. Everything from the military to public safety to trash pickup and a whole lot of other stuff not yet mentioned. Planning and logistics for such events, some of them quite expansive, are exactly what I had been part of in one capacity or another for almost 40 years. That's where I'm coming from.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe it or not, over 250,000 people reportedly came to Chicago for that 3 day event in 2015 and again in 2016. It isn't just showing up to sit/stand inside a pavilion to witness the selections, its being in an NFL City to experience the 3 day Draft and everything that goes on around it.
"reportedly"

I guess i'm just an ignorant fool. GB and surrounding communities host over 100K people for summer events all the time. It's not exactly an unheard of feat.

And again, I doubt 250K came to Chicago for the draft to only have room for 3K show up to watch it. Counting people that are there anyway and happen to walk by is not the same as someone going specifically for an event. IF that many people cared that much about being at the NFL draft, they wouldn't be held in 5k seat venues. and just because you let people congregate in a park because you have something going on where there are a million people doesn't mean you drew 600K either.

The biggest thing I probably helped plan for was a car show that sees maybe 10K LOL, so no, I don't have experience with it, i'm not claiming to.

But if Oshkosh WI can see over 100K in a weekend for either of it's music fests or over 600K in the week for EAA, I'm sure GB can handle 100K or so for the draft that might make the trip.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

I doubt the 600k in Nashville that they all came there for that. It looked like the main street and Nashville already attracts large crowds.

Green Bay and connected communities is just under 300k.

Appleton is another 280k about 30 miles upriver.

I think GB could handle an event of 200k, but getting bigger would be tough. A fleet of buses coming and going to MKE may do the trick, but not sure how practical that is.

Anyway, who cares? What's important is I live nearby and i will be able to attend.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you argue with how many people per year visits a city for tourism each year in the US?

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-most-visited-cities-in-the-us.html

Green Bay isn't top ten. I doubt they are top 50. In the top 10 list you will see the last NFL draft cities excluding Nashville over the last what 50 years? Nashville has 15.2 million tourists per year. Green Bay is lessthan a third of that at best. What part of the numbers are you refusing to accept? I can accept 5,000 NFL draft enthusiasts on my 4 acre property in Greenville SC and they can all find hotels easily nearby, but that isn't going to cut it in the modern area of this event. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not the NFL Draft weekend is growing to be an event like March madness in Las Vegas, and the NFL wants it to continue to grow to be a huge event. The success in Nashville was overwhelming. Green Bay can not handle nor produce those crowds. Point blank. You can watch the videos and read the numbers and believe they are faked, but the NFL was there, you weren't. I love the Packers and want to visit Green Bay for a game. Many fans do. There are 31 other teams with fans that really don't care about the Packers, and while they may want to visit for a game against their favorite team one day, they would probably rather party it up for the draft in Vegas/Miami/LA/NO/ATL or another city offering much more tourism/hotels/night life options than Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you argue with how many people per year visits a city for tourism each year in the US?

Green Bay isn't top ten. I doubt they are top 50. In the top 10 list you will see the last NFL draft cities excluding Nashville over the last what 50 years? Nashville has 15.2 million tourists per year. Green Bay is more than a third of that. What part of the numbers are you refusing to accept?
No kidding Nashville sees far more tourists than GB every year. That's not the debate. It's a question on whether GB could host an NFL draft or not.

I don't accept that 600K went to Nashville to take in the draft. Having people who are there already and happen to walk by only count when you want to fluff numbers. As for people traveling specifically to take in the draft, I don't think there is any question GB can accommodate that plus many more.

They see 80K just for a home game and support that just fine, over 3 days of a draft my sports math tells me you could report 240K people in attendance for the draft if they wanted to.

that's probably still on the high side for the past 10 years of draft attendances. Don't tell me GB is not capable.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green Bay isn't top ten. I doubt they are top 50. In the top 10 list you will see the last NFL draft cities excluding Nashville over the last what 50 years? Nashville has 15.2 million tourists per year. Green Bay is more than a third of that. What part of the numbers are you refusing to accept? I can accept 5,000 NFL draft enthusiasts on my 4 acre property in Greenville SC and they can all find hotels easily nearby, but that isn't going to cut it in the modern area of this event.
Our medium security prison can accommodate 340 if we go with an early release program.

Air BnB can accommodate another 36 people.

Our cold war fall out shelter system can house another 8,000.

Camper World on hwy 41 has nearly 240 units just sitting there . .

Man, you just arent thinking creatively . . .

What are we up to?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They see 80K just for a home game and support that just fine, over 3 days of a draft my sports math tells me you could report 240K people in attendance for the draft if they wanted to.

Come on man, there is a huge difference between 80K attending a Packer home game and a 3 day event that will attract a lot more people from all over the country. How many attending a Packer game fly in? How many need a hotel room, a car? I've been on the roads after a game, they are packed with people traveling back to Appleton, Oskosh, Madison, etc. Those people didn't fly in or require overnight accommodations. The draft is a 3 day event, that will likely attract people to stay for 3 days, not 3 groups, coming on different days. You threw EAA out there. A fair starting point, since Oshkosh is close by. However, that 600K that the EAA attracts is over 7 days and I have attended it, many only come for a day and leave. It is unlikely that you will see a lot of one day visitors for a draft.

You might not agree with the 600K number in Nashville, or the quarter million in Chicago but how many out of town people requiring transportation and lodging can the Green Bay and surrounding areas safely accommodate over a 3 day period? That is really the number that Murphy and the Packers have to present to the NFL, as well as the City of Green Bay and its surrounding communities. Please stop using figures from Packer games, they are not the same.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, because as I said, I am on the fence. I think GB would be an awesome host site, I just worry about how many people can safely and comfortably attend such an event there. If that number is far less than 250,000 (Chicago numbers),
how do you limit the size? Some just through natural barriers "Sorry sir all rooms are booked. Sorry sir all flights into Straubel and surrounding airports are booked. I am sorry sir, we have no rental cars available for that week".

So besides the natural barriers, how do you prevent too many people from showing up? You can't "sell tickets" to enter Green Bay or its surroundings. So people who really want to attend are just going to get there in whatever way they can. That could be very dangerous, as well as embarrassing for the Packer organization and the City of Green Bay.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our medium security prison can accommodate 340 if we go with an early release program.

Air BnB can accommodate another 36 people.

Our cold war fall out shelter system can house another 8,000.

Camper World on hwy 41 has nearly 240 units just sitting there . .

Man, you just arent thinking creatively . . .

What are we up to?

I guess it isn't truly a matter if can it happen, but more of a matter if it should happen. Granted other venues probably will have inflated numbers due to the people already in those venues for other tourist/population center numbers. Like I have said before, Cleveland's draft in 2021 will be more of a true comparison for Green Bay than Nashville, Chicago, or Las Vegas. And I never intended to seem like I was trashing Green Bay, it is a smaller city and that is part of why I love the Green Bay Packers. It is unique, and successful, and I am proud to be a fan.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man, there is a huge difference between 80K attending a Packer home game and a 3 day event that will attract a lot more people from all over the country. How many attending a Packer game fly in? How many need a hotel room, a car? I've been on the roads after a game, they are packed with people traveling back to Appleton, Oskosh, Madison, etc. Those people didn't fly in or require overnight accommodations. The draft is a 3 day event, that will likely attract people to stay for 3 days, not 3 groups, coming on different days. You threw EAA out there. A fair starting point, since Oshkosh is close by. However, that 600K that the EAA attracts is over 7 days and I have attended it, many only come for a day and leave. It is unlikely that you will see a lot of one day visitors for a draft.

You might not agree with the 600K number in Nashville, or the quarter million in Chicago but how many out of town people requiring transportation and lodging can the Green Bay and surrounding areas safely accommodate over a 3 day period? That is really the number that Murphy and the Packers have to present to the NFL, as well as the City of Green Bay and its surrounding communities. Please stop using figures from Packer games, they are not the same.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, because as I said, I am on the fence. I think GB would be an awesome host site, I just worry about how many people can safely and comfortably attend such an event there. If that number is far less than 250,000 (Chicago numbers),
how do you limit the size? Some just through natural barriers "Sorry sir all rooms are booked. Sorry sir all flights into Straubel and surrounding airports are booked. I am sorry sir, we have no rental cars available for that week".

So besides the natural barriers, how do you prevent too many people from showing up? You can't "sell tickets" to enter Green Bay or its surroundings. So people who really want to attend are just going to get there in whatever way they can. That could be very dangerous, as well as embarrassing for the Packer organization and the City of Green Bay.
you're making my point and don't even realize it. It's nothing to stay in MKE and drive to GB. It's nothing to stay in Oshkosh and go to GB. People rent buses and come from the Twin Cities every year. GB can handle that manypeople. If Chicago can boast 250K over a 3 day event, how do you think they got that number? that's not 250K that show up for 3 days.

and besides, that is still one of the highest numbers "reported" for a draft. I don't think 100-200K over 3 days in GB is unattainable at all. The only reason I used a game day figure is because there are over 80K every game day, and somehow the city manages. It would be no different for a draft day.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're making my point and don't even realize it. It's nothing to stay in MKE and drive to GB. It's nothing to stay in Oshkosh and go to GB. People rent buses and come from the Twin Cities every year. GB can handle that manypeople. If Chicago can boast 250K over a 3 day event, how do you think they got that number? that's not 250K that show up for 3 days.

and besides, that is still one of the highest numbers "reported" for a draft. I don't think 100-200K over 3 days in GB is unattainable at all. The only reason I used a game day figure is because there are over 80K every game day, and somehow the city manages. It would be no different for a draft day.

I agree 100k-200k over 3 days in GB is attainable. It is the 600k over 3 days that isn't. Nashville reported 200k in a day. That is double the population of Green Bay. That isn't viable. I expect to see the 600k reported number by Nashville eclipsed by Vegas this draft. That is why I keep saying that it will be interesting to see what happens in Cleveland in 2021. Cleveland is still close to 10 times the size of the metro area of Green Bay, but they are not a tourism draw like Vegas or even Nashville (No disrespect to Cleveland). If Cleveland can pull it off and keep it growing like Nashville did than Green Bay has a shot, if it drops off from Nashville numbers, Green Bay doesn't. In my humble opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
and besides, that is still one of the highest numbers "reported" for a draft. I don't think 100-200K over 3 days in GB is unattainable at all.
You seem to be in denial over the fact that the draft has become a huge event and has grown in popularity?

Like I said, I am on the fence. IF the Packers and the city of Green Bay can present a reasonable plan as to how they can safely and comfortably accommodate what is thought to be a realistic attendance number for those 3 days, then go for it.

However, as someone who grew up in Madison and watched a totally unexpected 100,000 people just show up to pack into State St. to celebrate Halloween and the damage and injuries that ensued, I would worry about Green Bays ability to handle a totally unexpected and unplanned for large tick in attendance.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You seem to be in denial over the fact that the draft has become a huge event and has grown in popularity?

Like I said, I am on the fence. IF the Packers and the city of Green Bay can present a reasonable plan as to how they can safely and comfortably accommodate what is thought to be a realistic attendance number for those 3 days, then go for it.

However, as someone who grew up in Madison and watched a totally unexpected 100,000 people just show up to pack into State St. to celebrate Halloween and the damage and injuries that ensued, I would worry about Green Bays ability to handle a totally unexpected and unplanned for large tick in attendance.

Totally unexpected..not prepared

But an event 3 years in future. Prepared

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Totally unexpected..not prepared

But an event 3 years in future. Prepared

Actually, Madison should have seen it coming. That event kept growing in number and it took the city a number of years to figure out those numbers for Halloween weren't slowing down. So they finally devised a plan to limit attendance via a fenced off area. I think it was the keys stolen out of a parked and engaged ambulance, that had already taken forever to make it through the crowds, to try and save the life of someone who fell off a high patio, that caused the push for change.

I agree, if Green Bay has time to actually prepare and plan for an actual solid estimated attendance, than it might work. However, as I started this whole thread with, I would hate to see a bunch of hotels and restaurants built, expansion of airports, roads, etc. to take place, for a once in 32 years event and when that event leaves town, many of those new shiny things go unused.