2021 CBs Discussion Thread

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crocker also noted that more often than not FSU slid Samuel inside to the nickel when in the red zone.

His ability and comfortability in the slot is why I like him, IF he is there at #29 it is a no brainer - and outside chance we circle back to the CB position in another pick and could target an outside only type player - allowing Samuel to move in at times if the other panned out.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Packers are really stuck between a wall and a hard place going into next year. They need a CB2. You will notice I have guys ranked higher than others, because of their ceilings, but they really are not guys you want to be Day 1 CB2s. Packers do not have the luxury of developing a guy in his rookie season, they need someone to ball. I am beginning to think the Packers will be looking at the backend FA CB market. I am thinking like a Janoris Jenkins type of player. Someone that is a serviceable veteran and CB2 that will likely be a 2021 cap casualty that will not be released until after the draft. A guy you would not need to invest a ton of $ and certainly not a lot of years. Give them a fair one year contract and develop one of the guys below. So with that, I ranked my CBs with the thought in mind that they WOULD NOT have to be CB2 Week 1. Here are my outside CB rankings:

1. Jaycee Horn
2. Caleb Farley
3. Patrick Surtain
4. Kalvin Joseph- Tough one to rank because there is such limited tape on him, but what you see in the tape is promising. May have the highest ceiling on this list. The question is, will he reach it and do you risk a 1-2 round pick to get it?
5. Greg Newsome
6. Eric Stokes
7. Ifeatu Melifonwu
8. Asante Samuel
9. Paulson Adebo
10. Tom Graham
11. Keith Taylor
12. Shaun Wase
13. Rodarius Williams

** Not ranked is Trill Williams. Trill Williams, may be my favorite DB in the entire draft. I see him as a safety, and it is hard for me to explain why. I want to put him in the box, I want to have him cover the best TEs in the game, because he is easily the most physical player on this entire list. I just feel like to get the best out of him, you make him a safety. I want him, probably more than any player above besides Jaycee Horn, I just do not think he is the Packers CB2. I do not know, gentlemen of this forum, help me believe he is a CB. I want to believe it so bad.

Nickel/Slot CBs:

1. Asante Samuel
2. Aaron Robinson
3. Elijah Molden
4. Kary Vincent
5. Shaun Wade
6. Tre Brown
7. Manny Rugamba
8. Shakur Brown *** HIGH upside, could be a steal late in the draft

Please share yours too :)

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching more Samuel, I don’t understand the criticisms on his tackling. He’s among the best in this class in this aspect if not the best.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching more Samuel, I don’t understand the criticisms on his tackling. He’s among the best in this class in this aspect if not the best.

I've yet to see an issue as well. I believe Eric Crocker brokedown that as a strong suit of his as well.

RepStar15

Reaction score
Did you guys happen to watch the ND and/or Pitt tape I posted?

Do not get me wrong, I WANT to love Asante Samuel at outside, because I am a huge fan of his dad. As soon as I see some tape that does not make me think he is a liability in those regards, I am super open to moving him up. Nothing against the Crocky Report, but many real NFL scouts agree with me. I love how Crocky breaks down film for the football fan, and can without question help an average fan learn more about talent evaluation. This weekend I texted my good friend that is a scout for the Jags and casually asked his opinion on Samuels, it aligned heavily with my opinion in thumbs up as a nickel thumbs down as an outside within the first two rounds. Again, that is just one professional opinion that works in one organization (which is not GB) so take with it what you will and realize it is not uncommon for a team of scouts to have completely different opinions on a guy.

So, I will leave it to my Packers Forum friends...Show me the tape you love on Samuel that will change my mind. I have watched an embarrassing amount of tape on him and struggle to come to a different conclusion. Also, post your rankings of CBs you have evaluated.

RepStar15

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Eric Stokes reportedly ran a 4.25

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eric Stokes reportedly ran a 4.25

Which would have been like a 4.35 at a combine or more. This cat can fly we all knew this, but we are gonna see some DUMB numbers this year.

Anthony Schwartz will probably break 4.2 lol

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which would have been like a 4.35 at a combine or more. This cat can fly we all knew this, but we are gonna see some DUMB numbers this year.

Anthony Schwartz will probably break 4.2 lol

I heard the same company that does the combine timing did this one too.

Stokes is a very good sprinter, not quite as good as Schwartz, but still elite.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I listened to Crocker the other day on Path to the Draft.

He really, really likes Asante Samuel Jr.

The only guy I see he discussed in this pod that he didn't in the other is Campbell. What was his take there?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to Crocker the other day on Path to the Draft.

He really, really likes Asante Samuel Jr.

The only guy I see he discussed in this pod that he didn't in the other is Campbell. What was his take there?

Been relistening to it throughout the day, when I get to the Campbell section I'll try to listen more intently LOL Trying to work and listen doesn't work best.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So quick notes from Crocker on Campbell:

Positive Notes:
His ability to stay square is arguably premiere in class.
*Swagger to wash clean any big play against him.
Has the change of direction and feet to handle press or man coverage calls.

Negative Notes:
Catch point competing.
Is reserved in whether he can slide right in to starting outside out the gate, but seems to think can start inside out the gate. Reading between the lines was more due to his lack of experience and such.

*This is one of the big things that attract me to Campbell and is what attracted me to Jaire so much back when he came out. He can INSTANTLY wipe a bad play out of his mind before even lining up for the next snap.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m a little surprised Campbell isn’t more polished. His HS HC was Mike Rumph (1st round CB) and his HS DB and HC was Pat Surtain. His HS coaches were probably better than his college coaches lol.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I've heard Crocker discuss Samuel numerous times with different people.

I truly think Crocker struggles with criticism of him more than any other CB in this draft. Sure he will point out one specific play, but then be quick to say but that's the only time he exhibited "x" or is a rare thing...

Samuels is just that guy that is zero 10 out 10s in any category but no less than 8 in any either.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like my praises towards Newsome from the start are being backed by some of the folks I trust their judgement more than most.

Crocker has started breaking down Newsome:

RepStar15

Reaction score
Looks like my praises towards Newsome from the start are being backed by some of the folks I trust their judgement more than most.

Crocker has started breaking down Newsome:
Newsome and Stokes are my favorite realistic outside prospects to GB, assuming they do not move up in the draft. JA is an interesting comparison to Newsome. I like it. I wrote Dre Kirkpatrick down next to his name, but in terms of aggressive tackling, I can absolutely see JA. I wish there was more tape, but from what I can see there is no real red flag for me besides his PIs which can be addressed with coaching.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to add another reason why I love Newsome...I know I bang on the drum for him the most....

Tell me how many other CBs in this draft like him had a passer rating throwing his way on 3rd/4th downs this year of 0.00

You read that right 0.0

I'll wait.....

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we’d have to trade up for him.

I'm beginning to think this more and more. Which SUCKS. For the longest time I swear no one was predicting he'd scratch the 1st round...now that doesn't of course means scouts were as ignorant to him, but dangit there was a time folks (way better at researching and studying than I) were mocking him on Day 2 and nearly Day 3....

I've said it before and still feel the same, there are only two players I'm willing to trade up in the first round farther than pick 20 (given cost) and that is Newsome and Samuel if Farley, Horn and Surtain are gone.

After 20 from there to 29 I'll add Zaven Collins to it - as guys I'd do it for.

I've come off the belief of doing it for anyone else, but I'd not be pissed to see us do it for Bateman or Marshall should they be there still around 22 on.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll go as far as to say, I am fine with nearly anything within reason given up to leave Day 1 with Newsome.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dolphins at 18 make a ton of sense given it's their second pick in the first.

Colts at #21 make sense too given they drained 2022...Gute could approach them even with a package heavily involved with say a 2022 2nd rounder and a bunch of others...say a package like this:

Green Bay sends
2021 First Round #29
Fourth Round # 143
2022 3rd Round Pick

Colts Give Back
2021 #21
2021 #167 in the 5th

Win/Win - They get 2022 insurance in the Wentz trade possibly stealing a 1st, this would give them insurance of two picks in the first 62. It would guarantee us Newsome AND in essence truly cost us only a 3rd in 2022 which will be offset most likely by a compensatory pick to Linsley most experts say. Very minimal loss of the 4th turning into a 5th.

Jets at 23 with their second pick in the first

Jags at 25 worry me, another team wanting a CB is going to know full well GB is drafting one and want to leap frog us. That though could also be a spot we slide up to.

Of course all those I list would be on the radar of a team that also wants a Corner and has equity too...

Members online

Latest posts