2020 Roster Predictions

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It feels quite like a stab in the dark, but since we won't be having any preseason games to view or family night I guess now is as good of a time to roll this out as any.

Quarterback (3): Rodgers, Boyle, Love

Running Backs (3*): Jones, Williams, Dillon

Wide Receivers (5*): Adams, Lazard, MVS, EQSB, Turner

*Hybrid WR/RB (1): Ervin

Tight Ends (4): Lewis, Sternberger, Tonyan, Deguara

Offensive Line (10): Bahk, Jenkins, Linsley OR Taylor (one is gone due to cost savings), Wagner, Turner, Runyan, Hanson, Patrick, Light

Defensive Line (5): Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Hester, Keke

Linebackers (8): ZSmith, PSmith, Gary, Williams, Garvin, Kirksey, Summers, Burks, Kamal*

Cornerback (6): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Samuels

Safety (4): Amos, Savage, Greene, Scott

Special Teams (3) is the easiest prediction IMO: Crosby (K), Scott (P), Bradley (LS)

That is 52 players....as the above sits the discussion for the 53rd falls between the following for me atm:

John Lovett FB - Do we keep a true FB is the issue here....
Reggie Begelton WR
Malik Turner WR
Kamal Martin ILB - *8/26/2020 Update Kamal is making this team...so I'm at 53 with him elevated.
Curtis Bolton ILB
Montravious Adams DL
Will Redmond S
Krys Barnes ILB
Yosh Nijman OT
John Leglue OL

Guys I HOPE and would LOVE to stash on practice squad if they don't make cut:

Will Sunderland CB
Willington Prefilon DL
Simon Stepaniak OL
- folks I truly think he will be a solid depth guy in a year or two
Krys Barnes ILB - He is my darkhorse to surprise some folks...
Tipa Galeai LB
Patrick Taylor HB
- once Jones or Williams is gone, I'm telling you I LOVE what this guy could become
Dexter Williams HB - solid depth guy that will never be more than a #3, but could be a good #3
Jake Hanson C - If he doesn't make 53, we better stash and pay to keep him there. He is our future C IMO.
Shepherd

Observational Notes:

• Leaving Redmond out of the Safety room and Shepherd over Kumerow are two of the "tougher" calls I'll predict. Redmond has been solid in reserve, but I think Scott's playmaking ability and ceiling will be too much not to have him there...now we could attempt a stash on Practice Squad with him for sure, and that'd keep Redmond off the cut list. As for Shepherd, I think we see a redemption story, albeit a small one. He at one time was showing out for us, illustrating great promise and than the debacle happened....it's been a tough process...but the young man still promises better than Kumerow (who I love) as far as what he could become.
  • Everyone knows I love Begelton....but without preseason games...I wonder if we don't try and stash him on Practice Squad for a year....now granted Shepherd on practice squad and Begelton on the active is an option IF for no other reason than if the organization believes Begelton is more of a risk to keep on PS than Shepherd.
  • Montravious Adams is done here. I was a fan of us drafting him, been pulling for him but its time for him to have a change of scenery and see he can find success elsewhere. Sucks because the one thing we are struggling to have is a true blue #2 here. Lowry was supposed to that, and at times shows it. I liken the DL to what our WR room has been of late. A FREAKING stud at the top, some AWESOME depth guys but we are clearly missing that bonafide #2. Lowry is gonna need to step up or Keke take a massive step or will Lancaster finally be what he shows in bursts more often than not? I'll actually state that I feel Hester has a great chance to challenge Lowry for the second most snaps of the group...but that doesn't excite me really.
  • ILB is quickly becoming my most intriguing position to predict after Kirksey. WR used to hold that, but as MVS and EQ apparently continue to separate from the questions on them and the competition on the back end ILB is where the most intriguing battles are occurring to me at least. Kirksey is the clear and easy pick for safety...behind that I do believe Burks is safe one more year given what the organization hopes he still is. But than Kamal, Ty, Curtis, Krys all have intriguing ceilings and or capabilities. Of that group Kamal should rise, but who knows. This is a position I look forward to seeing how it washes out.
  • Should Ervin be cut, I look for the main benefactor of that to be Lovett (FB), Adams (DL) or next up ILB to come up to the 53 then.
  • Something tells me something is going to change along our OL front...either a Linsley cut/trade....Wagner not panning out and we cut him eating just a small portion of cash...or something. I just don't see that picture staying as it lays. The way Taylor, Patrick and Runyan (shoot even Leglue) show promis along the interior to me shouts Turner to RT. Time will tell.
For those curious how this compares number wise to 2019:

2019 vs 2020 numbers kept per position in my scenario (I threw Ervin as a WR in this comp)

QB
2 v 3
RB
3 v 3
FB
1v0
WR
6 v 6
TE
4v4
OL
9 v 10
DL
6 v 5
LBs
8 v 9
CBs
7 v 6
S
4 v 4
ST
3 v 3

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a comment on Redmond #25. When I was re-watching the 49r playoff game, the only time I noticed him was when he was making a mistake or doing nothing. So not a fan at this point.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a comment on Redmond #25. When I was re-watching the 49r playoff game, the only time I noticed him was when he was making a mistake or doing nothing. So not a fan at this point.

He is never going to be a starter IMO in the league, Scott has HUGE upside. It would be a roll of the dice not having as much experience behind Amos/Savage and Greene...but is one I'm thinking we do.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will go on record if there is a "out of left field" nomination for making the cut most didn't see coming I have Krys Barnes or Sunderland circled.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious to hear whether M. Adams, Wagner, Z. Smith will get back to practice soon or whether we’ll see them start the season on PUP.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious to hear whether M. Adams, Wagner, Z. Smith will get back to practice soon or whether we’ll see them start the season on PUP.
once they practice don't they become ineligible for that designation?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
once they practice don't they become ineligible for that designation?

I thought so, but 100% claim ignorance on not being up to date on knowledge of these types of things.

I also will add to this post, it appears Malik Turner is doing all he can with what he can to make the cut. With the caveat it is just practice, but sadly that is all staff will have to go on...his experience could be the ticket over guys battling for that #5/#6 spot.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd probably keep Begelton or Kumerow over Shepard and Kamal Martin instead of Alex Light.

Everything I've heard about Kamal Martin is that he's having a great camp, I can't see us cutting him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd probably keep Begelton or Kumerow over Shepard and Kamal Martin instead of Alex Light.

Everything I've heard about Kamal Martin is that he's having a great camp, I can't see us cutting him.
I think Martin is going to be every bit as good as Martinez was, and likely better.

D

Deleted member 6794

Something tells me something is going to change along our OL front...either a Linsley cut/trade....Wagner not panning out and we cut him eating just a small portion of cash...or something.

The Packers releasing Wagner would result in $5.75 million in dead money counting against their cap as he received a $3.5 million signing bonus and his base salary of $2.25 million for 2020 is guaranteed. Not gonna happen.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers releasing Wagner would result in $5.75 million in dead money counting against their cap as he received a $3.5 million signing bonus and his base salary of $2.25 million for 2020 is guaranteed. Not gonna happen.

I must have misread, I thought dead money was only 1.75M each of the two years if cut. I'm with you then, ain't happening.

Lane Taylor may be the surprise cut if Runyan, Hanson and others make it just unnecessary to keep him...and he is not a Gute guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I must have misread, I thought dead money was only 1.75M each of the two years if cut. I'm with you then, ain't happening.

Lane Taylor may be the surprise cut if Runyan, Hanson and others make it just unnecessary to keep him...and he is not a Gute guy.

According to Spotrac Wagner's base salary is guaranteed. While the Packers could split the dead money counting against the cap over the next two seasons it would still result in a total of $5.75 million.

Depending on which website you believe the team would either save $1 million or take an additional cap hit of $440K by moving on from Taylor. In my opinion not significant enough to release him.

I believe they will part ways with Linsley before the start of the season though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Spotrac Wagner's base salary is guaranteed. While the Packers could split the dead money counting against the cap over the next two seasons it would still result in a total of $5.75 million.

Depending on which website you believe the team would either save $1 million or take an additional cap hit of $440K by moving on from Taylor. In my opinion not significant enough to release him.

I believe they will part ways with Linsley before the start of the season though.

See that is something you KNOW I am a fan and defendant for quite some time. I just struggle with clean cutting him as you literally get nothing in return other than cash savings...which I guess isn't something to scoff at.

I know some will despise the concept but even if we worked a trade for a Day 3 pick from him I say grab it. Some team for sure would split with a 6th or 7th for a starting level Center, which could be resigned due to being still on the good side of 30 (but not for long).

In a period where we are seeing cap come down, collecting some draft picks whenever and wherever we can could become a crucial aspect of depth survival as hard decisions await the future.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know knee jerk amendments but definitely things I debated heavy and I feel the Shepherd original prediction was more trying to get cute with predicting an unlikely scenario than actual thoughts.

Changes:

• Kamal is making the team and added to the LBs (I am beginning to think only one of Garvin/Williams will make cut)
  • Shepherd down and Malik Turner up in the WR group
  • Linsley OR Taylor not both will make the cut - makes too much fiscal sense and with Hanson and Runyan both showing promise and Light/Patrick there both are not needed at the cost.

D

Deleted member 6794

See that is something you KNOW I am a fan and defendant for quite some time. I just struggle with clean cutting him as you literally get nothing in return other than cash savings...which I guess isn't something to scoff at.

I know some will despise the concept but even if we worked a trade for a Day 3 pick from him I say grab it. Some team for sure would split with a 6th or 7th for a starting level Center, which could be resigned due to being still on the good side of 30 (but not for long).

In a period where we are seeing cap come down, collecting some draft picks whenever and wherever we can could become a crucial aspect of depth survival as hard decisions await the future.

I would definitely prefer to trade Linsley for a draft pick as well but have a hard time believing another team would be interested in paying him $8 million for this season on top of it.

Cap space will be scarce for the rest of the league next year as well, therefore spending that much money on a center who struggled with shotgun snaps and according to PFF gave up the most sacks among his position group in the entire league last season doesn't seem to be a sound plan.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll lock in my guesses now 5 days early:

Quarterback (3):
Rodgers, Boyle, Love

Running Backs (4): Jones, Williams, Dillon, Lovett (FB)

Wide Receivers (5): Adams, Lazard, MVS, EQSB, Turner

Offensive Line (9): Bahk, Jenkins, Linsley, Taylor, Wagner, Turner, Runyan, Hanson, Patrick

Defensive Line (5): Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Hester, Keke

Linebackers (9): ZSmith, PSmith, Gary, Williams, Garvin, Kirksey, Summers, Burks, Kamal

Cornerback (6): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Samuels

Safety (4): Amos, Savage, Greene, Scott

Special Teams (3) is the easiest prediction IMO: Crosby (K), Scott (P), Bradley (LS)

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running Backs (4): Jones, Williams, Dillon, Lovett (FB)

Wide Receivers (5): Adams, Lazard, MVS, EQSB, Turner

Four TEs and a FB.... Hmm...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Four TEs and a FB.... Hmm...

Honestly keeping Lovett is the main and possibly only thing I flopped back and forth with A TON. Drop Lovett it most likely opens up a spot for Ento (CB), Begelton or Kumerow (WRs) and/or a biggun (OL or DL).

VERY highly possible.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I stated it in another post, but will say it again. I think with no preseason games and most NFL teams having locked down camps due to COVID, getting virtual unknowns to a teams practice squad will be a lot safer/easier to do this season. We as Packer fans may have some information on them, but I doubt another NFL team is going to pick up a Packer rookie UDFA that they have very little if any current information on and no preseason film. This works two ways, I don't see the Packers building their PS with many other players other than guys they have had in camp.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I stated it in another post, but will say it again. I think with no preseason games and most NFL teams having locked down camps due to COVID, getting virtual unknowns to a teams practice squad will be a lot safer/easier to do this season. We as Packer fans may have some information on them, but I doubt another NFL team is going to pick up a Packer rookie UDFA that they have very little if any current information on and no preseason film. This works two ways, I don't see the Packers building their PS with many other players other than guys they have had in camp.
Very much agree but I think it’s still a possibility if Mgmt had someone on the draft board that they find intriguing and were unable to get him in as a UDFA. That sword cuts in 32 directions though.

Members online

Latest posts