So at present it still is

1. Russell Wilson
2. Lamar Jackson
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Deshaun Watson
5. Patrick Mahomes
6. Christian McCaffrey
and nobody else cares for rest.

I personally see Lamar Jackson as a level above the rest.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My top 10 most likely to win it rn would be:

1. Russell Wilson
2. Christian McCaffrey
3. Lamar Jackson
4. Deshaun Watson
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Dalvin Cook
7. Aaron Jones
8. Patrick Mahomes
9. Mike Evans
10. Michael Thomas

I didnt include Defense as they would need monster performances to win over a QB or CMC this year. Honorable mentions however include Shaquill Barrett, Minkah Fitzpatrick (anyone still calling this a bad trade by the Steelers lol?) and Nick Bosa.

H

HardRightEdge

My top 10 most likely to win it rn would be:

1. Russell Wilson
2. Christian McCaffrey
3. Lamar Jackson
4. Deshaun Watson
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Dalvin Cook
7. Aaron Jones
8. Patrick Mahomes
9. Mike Evans
10. Michael Thomas

I didnt include Defense as they would need monster performances to win over a QB or CMC this year. Honorable mentions however include Shaquill Barrett, Minkah Fitzpatrick (anyone still calling this a bad trade by the Steelers lol?) and Nick Bosa.
One defensive player has won the AP MVP, Lawrence Taylor. Just because a defensive player happens to be having an All Pro year is far from a qualification in the eyes of the voters. Watt didn't win it. Donald didn't win it. Any number of dominant players have not won it. I guess you have to change the way the game is played while playing in the New York media center to qualify.

That said, no WR has ever won the award, not Jerry Rice, not anybody. I see no reason to think that will change. Strike Evans and Thomas from your list just to start. It may not be a conscious consideration among some voters, but the fact WRs don't touch the ball enough is probably a factor.

By the way, there is no "honorable mention". Participating media members get one vote for who they think is the MVP, end of story. This ain't like MLB where the voter ranks his top ten in order with points allocated to each spot in the list. I guess if one voter gives a defensive player a vote you could call that "honorable mention", but you'd be basing that on the opinion of one guy which doesn't count for much.

Last edited by a moderator:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They say that 2 candidates from the same team will take votes away from each other, so if Jones is a candidate, then neither Rodgers nor Jones will win it this year.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
One defensive player has won the AP MVP, Lawrence Taylor. Just because a defensive player happens to be having an All Pro year is far from a qualification in the eyes of the voters. Watt didn't win it. Donald didn't win it. Any number of dominant players have not won it. I guess you have to change the way the game is played while playing in the New York media center to qualify.

That said, no WR has ever won the award, not Jerry Rice, not anybody. I see no reason to think that will change. Strike Evans and Thomas from your list just to start. It may not be a conscious consideration among some voters, but the fact WRs don't touch the ball enough is probably a factor.

By the way, there is no "honorable mention". Participating media members get one vote for who they think is the MVP, end of story. This ain't like MLB where the voter ranks his top ten in order with points allocated to each spot in the list. I guess if one voter give a defensive player a vote you could call that "honorable mention", but you'd be basing that on the opinion of one guy which doesn't count for much.
Wrong. Alan Page. 1971

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By the way, there is no "honorable mention". Participating media members get one vote for who they think is the MVP, end of story. This ain't like MLB where the voter ranks his top ten in order with points allocated to each spot in the list. I guess if one voter give a defensive player a vote you could call that "honorable mention", but you'd be basing that on the opinion of one guy which doesn't count for much.
My knowledge of the MVP vote is pretty scarce, I had no idea how one is picked to be honest. The names I mentioned were more the candidates I would propose. Also, I had no idea that no WR was ever picked but it does make sense that whereas a run play would almost always mean the same person gets handed the ball, a pass play could go to a different number of guys.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilson threw a pick in a crucial situation yesterday, then was bailed out by a missed FG. Lamar is the frontrunner now.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, this is a two horse race. To me, Lamar Jackson has to be the front runner. And even with it being a two horse race, I think he's a few strides clear of Russell Wilson. They aren't even neck and neck at this point. But it could change with a few games to go.

Passing stats:

25 TDs
5 INTs
66.5% completions
2,532 yards
109.6 passer rating
81.6 QBR

Rushing stats:

7 TDs
977 yards
7.0 yards per carry

What he's doing right now is just silly good.

Is it sustainable long term? Not sure. But as of right now, and as it relates to the 2019 season, he's the clear front runner for MVP. Not sure how you can deny a guy that's putting up the passing numbers, along with breaking the 1,000 yard rushing mark (easily).

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Pats rolling over, odds for Lamar and Ravens to reach SB are quite high. He does look to be a lock in atm. Unless Seahawks come up with a miracle and even then, I doubt Wilson will make it.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as I'm concerned, this is a two horse race. To me, Lamar Jackson has to be the front runner. And even with it being a two horse race, I think he's a few strides clear of Russell Wilson. They aren't even neck and neck at this point. But it could change with a few games to go.

Passing stats:

25 TDs
5 INTs
66.5% completions
2,532 yards
109.6 passer rating
81.6 QBR

Rushing stats:

7 TDs
977 yards
7.0 yards per carry

What he's doing right now is just silly good.

Is it sustainable long term? Not sure. But as of right now, and as it relates to the 2019 season, he's the clear front runner for MVP. Not sure how you can deny a guy that's putting up the passing numbers, along with breaking the 1,000 yard rushing mark (easily).

I agree that Jackson should be named the MVP based on the numbers he has put up but I have to admit that I'm not overly impressed with him as a passer.

The threat of either Ingram or him running the ball results in receivers being wide open making it significantly easier for him to complete throws.

Members online