2019 Draft? Time to move on from Mathews and Perry?

D

Deleted member 6794

If it came down to it, I would jettison Perry over Matthews. Perry is just non-existent out there. Clay, even when not making plays, is making his presence felt out there. When I was watching the Patriots game, I saw several times Clay trying to get to Brady, shedding blocks, etc. But if it wasn't for one shot from the cameras after the conclusion of the play, I didn't even know Perry had suited up. Clay to me has earned the right to retire in Green Bay, albeit at a reduced salary for his next contract(otherwise let him go as well). Perry to me is trade fodder, and because of his age(28) he's more likely to get more value than Clay who is in the twilight of his career. Keep in mind that if it weren't from 2 questionable flags from the refs this team could be 5-3; because of Clay making plays out there. I honestly think with an explosive edge rusher opposite Clay his numbers go up.

Both Matthews and Perry have performed at a disappointing level this season, especially considering the cap space the Packers have allocated towards them. With Matthews becoming a free agent at the end of this season it's easier to move on from him though as releasing Perry would result in $11.1 million of dead money counting against the cap.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Matthews and Perry with top picks? There are some other potential holes to be filled without a ton of cap space:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/green-bay-packers/

RT also needs to be considered. How much longer can Bulaga hold up? Spriggs has been disappointing.

With Perry yielding only $3.9 mil in cap savings if released, expect him back. It would take a catastropic injury for him to be cut. If he can play he will play.
Matthews likely gone, Perry likely stays is my opinion. I think we’ll draft a tackle with a mid-round pick.

H

HardRightEdge

Both Matthews and Perry have performed at a disappointing level this season, especially considering the cap space the Packers have allocated towards them. With Matthews becoming a free agent at the end of this season it's easier to move on from him though as releasing Perry would result in $11.1 million of dead money counting against the cap.
Dead cap in and of itself is not meaningful. What is meaningful is the modest $3.6 mil in cap savings if Perry is released as a result of the dead cap.

The questions then become 1) whether Perry can be projected to perform up to that $3.6 mil number in 2019 and 2) who else ya got?

The Perry value proposition for retention in 2019 when looking at the situation early in the season seemed regretably obvious given that $3.6 mil doesn't buy much in the way of an edge player. I don't think it is so clear now. It's one of the less obvious difficult decisions for the offseason. If the guy cannot play at some semblance of healthy he's not worth it. He's heading into year 8; it does not get easier for him from here.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Perry value proposition for retention in 2019 when looking at the situation early in the season seemed regrettably obvious given that $3.6 mil doesn't buy much in the way of an edge player.

$3.6M doesn't buy an edge rusher yes but depending on our spending $3.6M of extra space might be what we need to sign someone else.

H

HardRightEdge

$3.6M doesn't buy an edge rusher yes but depending on our spending $3.6M of extra space might be what we need to sign someone else.
That's the decision. Other difficult decisions:

Bulaga: $6.75 mil cap savings, FA after 2019 - how long can his legs hold up?
Williams: $4.75 mil cap savings, FA after 2019 - not an optimal fit at FS
Daniels: $8.5 mil cap savings, FA after 2019 - low probability; declining impact last 2 seasons
Graham: $5.3 mil cap savings, signed through 2020 - lowest probabability; Kendricks and Lewis will be FAs; chemistry not what we would have liked but productivity is respectable.

You couldn't make all of these cuts, along with letting Matthews and Cobb walk, but hanging on to all of these guys defers the inevitable.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the decision. Other difficult decisions:

Bulaga: $6.75 mil cap savings, FA after 2019 - how long can his legs hold up?
Williams: $4.75 mil cap savings, FA after 2019 - not an optimal fit at FS
Daniels: $8.5 mil cap savings, FA after 2019 - low probability; declining impact last 2 seasons
Graham: $5.3 mil cap savings, signed through 2020 - lowest probability; Kendricks and Lewis will be FAs; chemistry not what we would have liked but productivity is respectable.

You couldn't make all of these cuts, along with letting Matthews and Cobb walk, but hanging on to all of these guys defers the inevitable.

We can find a suitable replacement in the Draft for Bulaga, and with the savings, we could sign a veteran OT as well for depth purposes.

Williams isn't ideal at FS so he's a post Draft decision, based on our depth and talent at the CB position. I think he stays.

Daniels hasn't had the same impact but if Pettine was open I think this would be the perfect time to move back to 4-3. Daniels and Clark in at DT and Draft two 4-3 DEs. Maybe Perry could make the transition to making plays with his hand in the dirt. Without that extra blocker maybe Clay continues to have some kind of impact on defense. That leaves us only having to Draft one OLB in the 1st Round and the other pick focuses on S or OL.

Lewis is done and Kendricks may or may not stay based on his playing time. If he does we have Graham, Kendricks, and Tonyan. Hopefully, Kendricks stays as I would not like to be pressed to look for another TE via the Draft or FA.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dead cap in and of itself is not meaningful. What is meaningful is the modest $3.6 mil in cap savings if Perry is released as a result of the dead cap.

The questions then become 1) whether Perry can be projected to perform up to that $3.6 mil number in 2019 and 2) who else ya got?

The Perry value proposition for retention in 2019 when looking at the situation early in the season seemed regretably obvious given that $3.6 mil doesn't buy much in the way of an edge player. I don't think it is so clear now. It's one of the less obvious difficult decisions for the offseason. If the guy cannot play at some semblance of healthy he's not worth it. He's heading into year 8; it does not get easier for him from here.

You have to consider the Packers have to release Perry in March to save $3.6 million of cap space as he's due a $4.8 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year though.

That means the team most likely won't have a replacement for him on the roster at this point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we need his replacement on the roster by then? He's never available, ever. It's old and it's not going to get better. I was fine signing the guy when we did, especially how ti was structured to help guard against injury and if he stayed healthy he'd get paid a good amount. But he's injured int he offseason, he's injured in OTA's, he sits out training camp, he doesn't practice during the week and if he does play in a game, he leaves with injury. When was the last time he actually started and played 2 full games?

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we need his replacement on the roster by then? He's never available, ever. It's old and it's not going to get better. I was fine signing the guy when we did, especially how ti was structured to help guard against injury and if he stayed healthy he'd get paid a good amount. But he's injured int he offseason, he's injured in OTA's, he sits out training camp, he doesn't practice during the week and if he does play in a game, he leaves with injury. When was the last time he actually started and played 2 full games?

.... and now once again on injured reserve to close out another season. Perry will almost assuredly “play” somewhere else in 2019.