2019 Draft? Time to move on from Mathews and Perry?

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
Packers: Josh Allen, 3-4OLB, Kentucky
image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Kentucky_logo.gif

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Packers need multiple young edge rushers to upgrade their defense.

In 2018, Allen has 37 tackles with 10.5 tackles for a loss, six sacks, two forced fumbles and three passes batted. Prior to dominating South Carolina, the senior was phenomenal in leading Kentucky to upsets over Florida and Mississippi State.

The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Allen was one of the top edge defenders in college football during the 2017 season. The junior totaled seven sacks along with 65 tackles, 9.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and three passes batted on the year. Allen produced well as a sophomore in 2016 with 62 tackles, 8.5 tackles for a loss, seven sacks and four forced fumbles. One national scout compared Allen to Leonard Floyd coming out of Georgia with Allen's ability to rush off the edge. That scout said Allen isn't as freaky of an athlete as Floyd was and that Allen was not worthy of a top-10 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, but they did grade Allen as a future first-rounder.

Another director of college scouting said they had given Allen a high second-round grade for the 2018 NFL Draft, but thought Allen could have definitely ended up going in the first round if he had not returned to school. That director said Allen was an interesting player because he also can play inside linebacker, whereas Floyd was just an outside edge defender. That college director said that as an inside linebacker, Allen has similarities to current Texans linebacker Zach Cunningham in terms of his height, speed, length, and athleticism in the middle.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019charlie.php#ksiXCaUcYHA1XudK.99

H

HardRightEdge

Matthews and Perry with top picks? There are some other potential holes to be filled without a ton of cap space:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/green-bay-packers/

RT also needs to be considered. How much longer can Bulaga hold up? Spriggs has been disappointing.

With Perry yielding only $3.9 mil in cap savings if released, expect him back. It would take a catastropic injury for him to be cut. If he can play he will play.

Reaction score
I like watching Matthews not because he is good, but because its cringe humor watching him. Flexing randomly for no reason outside the pile? Running full speed past the QB on 9 out of 10 plays? Being thrown like a rag doll by smaller players? Someone give this man his PED's back.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Matthews and Perry with top picks? There are some other potential holes to be filled without a ton of cap space:

RT also needs to be considered. How much longer can Bulaga hold up? Spriggs has been disappointing.

With Perry yielding only $3.9 mil in cap savings if released, expect him back. It would take a catastropic injury for him to be cut. If he can play he will play.

Ya, getting rid of perry is not on option yet. Unfortunately...

Ditto to both. Someone brilliantly tied Nick Perry to the Packers until 2019 where there is the $3.9M in cap savings but still $11M in dead money. 2020 is probably the earliest he is shown to door.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe OLB will be addressed early in the 2019 draft. At some point this team needs to reload the offense. Let's face it the WR core scares nobody. I like Adams and MVS. St. Brown looks to have potential but a game breaker is needed. Also, the tackle position needs to be addressed early.

Perry will be here until 2020.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe OLB will be addressed early in the 2019 draft. At some point this team needs to reload the offense. Let's face it the WR core scares nobody. I like Adams and MVS. St. Brown looks to have potential but a game breaker is needed. Also, the tackle position needs to be addressed early.

Perry should've never been resigned in the first place. It was very clear he was putting in max effort for the payday, which he got. He will not produce as he did a couple seasons ago. I would cut bait and trade him to Raiders.

Bulaga is dead weight. Constantly injured. Physically, he can no longer dominate his position. Total retool of the O-line should come this offseason, hopefully, along with McCarthy's departure.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also, I think this WR corp will be filthy next year. Excluding Cobb, with Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ St. Brown, and Moore on the roster, the rooks will make a big jump between this season and next. You'll have big physical WRs capable of playing inside or out, and coming down 50/50 balls. Unsure of what to do with Montgomery.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry should've never been resigned in the first place. It was very clear he was putting in max effort for the payday, which he got. He will not produce as he did a couple seasons ago. I would cut bait and trade him to Raiders.

Bulaga is dead weight. Constantly injured. Physically, he can no longer dominate his position. Total retool of the O-line should come this offseason, hopefully, along with McCarthy's departure.

If only we had traded Randall Cobb for Corey Coleman.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers need to upgrade the talent level at edge rusher but getting rid of both Matthews and Perry next offseason will most likely result in the position group not being improved in 2019. Gutekunst should definitely invest an early draft pick into an outside linebacker though.

FYI the Packers would have to release Perry in March and therefore before the draft for them to save any cap space in 2019. He's due a $4.8 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year next offseason and therefore cutting him any later would actually add a hit of $1.2 million towards the team's cap space.

Thompson made the right decision re-signing Perry after he had a career year in 2016. Unfortunately he hasn't performed up to the deal but the Packers are most likely stuck with him for at least another season after this one because of a lack of an adequate replacement as well as salary cap implications.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson made the right decision re-signing Perry after he had a career year in 2016. Unfortunately he hasn't performed up to the deal but the Packers are most likely stuck with him for at least another season after this one because of a lack of an adequate replacement as well as salary cap implications.

Based on production after getting his deal from Thompson, an adequate replacement could've been found in the draft. Allowing Perry to leave in free agency based off his inspired production the season before could've yielded a nice compensatory pick, catnip for Thompson. That money allocated for Perry's re-signing could've and should've went to a top running back, which would've been a wiser use of salary cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

Based on production after getting his deal from Thompson, an adequate replacement could've been found in the draft.

Thompson didn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make a decision on Perry at the time the Packers re-signed him. It was the right move at that point.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson didn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make a decision on Perry at the time the Packers re-signed him. It was the right move at that point.

I disagree. I think Thompson for the last few years was throwing darts at a wall with no board.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on production after getting his deal from Thompson, an adequate replacement could've been found in the draft. Allowing Perry to leave in free agency based off his inspired production the season before could've yielded a nice compensatory pick, catnip for Thompson. That money allocated for Perry's re-signing could've and should've went to a top running back, which would've been a wiser use of salary cap.

Using a large portion of the salary cap on a RB is almost never a wider use.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting rid of Clay and Perry is a bold strategy, but based on the FA and Draft class the defense would definitely slide for several years.

I'm more in favor of Clay being inside permanently. Burks can continue to develop and play on obvious passing downs and provide depth. I like Devin White or Montez Sweat on the edge to give this defense some life. Mo Wilkerson deserves another spin at DE but we can draft his eventual replacement in the 3rd or 4th Round.

For the 2nd pick in the 1st, I like Deonte Thompson at S or Cody Ford at G. Hopefully Gute isn't scared to draft a top OL in the first like TT was. Safeties can be found later on in the Draft so Ford takes priority.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, getting rid of perry is not on option yet. Unfortunately...

That is unfortunate because he is a worthless overpaid overpicked injury prone ghost. Perry the Fairy has clearly mailed it in since he got paid after 2016. The latest of the Ted Thompson debacle that went on starting in 2011.

D

Deleted member 6794

Getting rid of Clay and Perry is a bold strategy, but based on the FA and Draft class the defense would definitely slide for several years.

I'm more in favor of Clay being inside permanently.

For the 2nd pick in the 1st, I like Deonte Thompson at S or Cody Ford at G. Hopefully Gute isn't scared to draft a top OL in the first like TT was. Safeties can be found later on in the Draft so Ford takes priority.

In my opinion the Packers could adequately replace both Matthews and Perry in a single offseason. In addition there's no reason to move Clay inside as he was average there at best and the team has better options in Martinez, Ryan, Burks or one of the hybrid safeties/linebackers.

Unfortunately Deonte Thompson will most likely be gone once the Packers are on the clock in the first round.

Thompson wasn't afraid to select offensive linemen in the first round as he actually spent two on the position in Bulaga and Sherrod. Aside of Rodgers that were his only picks within the first 32 spent on offense.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers could adequately replace both Matthews and Perry in a single offseason. In addition there's no reason to move Clay inside as he was average there at best and the team has better options in Martinez, Ryan, Burks or one of the hybrid safeties/linebackers.

Unfortunately Deonte Thompson will most likely be gone once the Packers are on the clock in the first round.

Thompson wasn't afraid to select offensive linemen in the first round as he actually spent two on the position in Bulaga and Sherrod. Aside of Rodgers that were his only picks within the first 32 spent on offense.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think everything would need to line up for us in the Draft for that to happen, or we spend some money in FA.

I'm mocking Thompson in the bottom half of the 1st(20TH-23RD), he SHOULD be there depending on our Draft Position. But we can revisit this after the Senior Bowl and Combine.

I think after Sherrod didn't pan out TT shied away from OL in the 1st, seeing as we never saw another one again.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think everything would need to line up for us in the Draft for that to happen, or we spend some money in FA.

I'm mocking Thompson in the bottom half of the 1st(20TH-23RD), he SHOULD be there depending on our Draft Position. But we can revisit this after the Senior Bowl and Combine.

I think after Sherrod didn't pan out TT shied away from OL in the 1st, seeing as we never saw another one again.

I definitely expect Gutekunst to be active in free agency next offseason.

FWIW PFF has Thompson currently ranked higher than the bottom of the first round. We'll see where he ends up on big boards once the draft is closer.

Thompson had more pressing needs than the offensive line to address after drafting Sherrod in the first round of 2011.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Josh Allen as a linebacker that can play anywhere and make plays was hoping he came out last year.
Although I thought clay was going to have a resurgent year I was wrong and he won't be back in 2019 hopefully. Or if he is it is as a cheap backup who can provide a few big plays as a situational rusher. I still think he could be good in that role.
Perry stays for the reasons mentioned above.
Definitely need a playmaking safety capable of playing single high. A olb capable of rushing the passer with some consistency. And a talented offensive lineman capable of being a day one starter at either guard or tackle.
I think if gute can get those 3 guys out of the draft and free agency the rest is icing on the cake. But add those 3 players to this roster and you have a very good team. With 2 1sts, 4ths and 6ths and close to 50 million in cap space gute realistically has the resources to get it done

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it came down to it, I would jettison Perry over Matthews. Perry is just non-existent out there. Clay, even when not making plays, is making his presence felt out there. When I was watching the Patriots game, I saw several times Clay trying to get to Brady, shedding blocks, etc. But if it wasn't for one shot from the cameras after the conclusion of the play, I didn't even know Perry had suited up. Clay to me has earned the right to retire in Green Bay, albeit at a reduced salary for his next contract(otherwise let him go as well). Perry to me is trade fodder, and because of his age(28) he's more likely to get more value than Clay who is in the twilight of his career. Keep in mind that if it weren't from 2 questionable flags from the refs this team could be 5-3; because of Clay making plays out there. I honestly think with an explosive edge rusher opposite Clay his numbers go up.

Members online

Latest posts