2016 Preseason Game #2 vs da Raiders

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers should only receive playing time in the preseason with the starters on the offensive line blocking for him and preferably throwing quick passes to give the pass rush no chance to get to him.

Couldn't agree more with this. While we all want to see AR back in action, he's a proven vet who is getting plenty of safe reps in practice. Hundley's injury should remind the coaches and fans that it just isn't worth getting your #1 guy hurt in meaningless games. As Captain said, would probably be beneficial just to play him, along with Jordy and the other 9 starters for 1 series in the next 2 games. Nothing fancy, no risky scrambles but just to make sure they have some actual game time momentum going into the regular season. I can't remember if it was last season and/or the season before, but it seems like it took a bit of time at the beginning of the regular season for the offense to jell.

H

HardRightEdge

I finally got around to watching the first half of the game on replay.

Not much to add since week one:

- Clark continues to look more like a UDFA than a first round pick. He's getting pushed around out there.

- A starting lineup of Clark and Martinez would have teams attacking with the run game between the tackles. Martinez looks awfully good from the backside; not so good with the play coming at him with a lot of ankle tackle attempts. Right now, he's looking like a faster version of Hawk. Do with that what you will.

- As others have observed, Spriggs was given some serious schooling from Mack. What I don't quite understand is why is why he was in 3-point stance on those snaps. Give him help? How about letting him stand up?

- Doesn't Randall look like a guy who should be playing in the middle of the field?

- As noted after week 1, you can't merely say Callahan's the PS guy so no worries. As I observed, he could be one heartbeat away from the Presidency.

- The starting O-Line's run blocking looked awfully good.

Second half observations will follow, if I have any.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling our defense as a whole is going to take another step this season and be even better than its been for the past 2-3 seasons. And that is with or without Clay. I really do think we have the potential to have the best secondary in Football and a very very solid front 7.

and yes, Randall looks like a single high safety waiting to happen. I wonder if the staff sees the same? But then again, Randall is also looking like a superstar shut down CB waiting to happen as well.

Sky King

Reaction score
For me it's still too early to get high or low regarding any player, good or bad. There's still half of a preseason to go.

A thought did cross my mind watching the game, however. I couldn't help but wonder how much the Raiders and Carr especially would like to acquire Adams, if at all. Carr and Adams made a terrific tandem.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It feel like the first two weeks of preseason has sparked some optimism:
  • I'm starting to be optimistic about Carl Bradford making the team and possibly playing some meaningful downs. It is good to see things start to click in his 3rd season.
  • Davante Adams looks better and is showing off his athleticism.
  • The secondary is looking solid again.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't remember if it was last season and/or the season before, but it seems like it took a bit of time at the beginning of the regular season for the offense to jell.

Last season the offense played well for the first three games but struggled the rest of the season. They have been slow out of the gates in previous years though.

Any updates on the Hundley injury? Was it the same ankle he's had problems with?

McCarthy said that Hundley will be hard pressed to play Friday at San Francisco.

I have a feeling our defense as a whole is going to take another step this season and be even better than its been for the past 2-3 seasons. And that is with or without Clay. I really do think we have the potential to have the best secondary in Football and a very very solid front 7.

The Packers defense is for sure capable of finishing in the top 10 in points allowed. There are some question marks about the front seven though.

H

HardRightEdge

I think Backman has passed Perillo. His sideline comebacker on a broken play showed he's getting it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It feel like the first two weeks of preseason has sparked some optimism:
  • I'm starting to be optimistic about Carl Bradford making the team and possibly playing some meaningful downs. It is good to see things start to click in his 3rd season.
  • Davante Adams looks better and is showing off his athleticism.
  • The secondary is looking solid again.
Uh oh....

If Bradford keeps showing he can play and win a roster spot and Adams plays well, that does not bode well for some here that don't believe in a young player's ability to significantly improve, or Thompson and scouts ability to assess talent.

D

Deleted member 6794

Uh oh....

If Bradford keeps showing he can play and win a roster spot and Adams plays well, that does not bode well for some here that don't believe in a young player's ability to significantly improve, or Thompson and scouts ability to assess talent.

Even if Adams bounces back from a terrible season in 2015 there's no doubt Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry would have been better picks at that spot. With Bradford not having played a single snap in two years there were better players available in Telvin Smith and Avery Williamson as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Last season the offense played well for the first three games but struggled the rest of the season. They have been slow out of the gates in previous years though.

Thanks for refreshing my memory on that. I do remember seasons where the offense seemed a bit slow out of the gate once the regular season started. That is the one fear I have with resting a lot of our key players, especially on offense where the continuity and timing seemed to be off during various parts of the 2015 season. Having Jordy out for a season, makes it even more important to get them some game time as well IMO. While you don't want to over expose AR, Jordy, Cobb and the offensive line to injuries in preseason, it would be nice to see the starting offense out there just enough to know that they are well oiled and ready to fire on all cylinders on 9/11. Otherwise resting them and then struggling to find that continuity on the road in the first 2 regular season games, could set us up to start the season off with a road loss or two.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for refreshing my memory on that. I do remember seasons where the offense seemed a bit slow out of the gate once the regular season started. That is the one fear I have with resting a lot of our key players, especially on offense where the continuity and timing seemed to be off during various parts of the 2015 season. Having Jordy out for a season, makes it even more important to get them some game time as well IMO. While you don't want to over expose AR, Jordy, Cobb and the offensive line to injuries in preseason, it would be nice to see the starting offense out there just enough to know that they are well oiled and ready to fire on all cylinders on 9/11. Otherwise resting them and then struggling to find that continuity on the road in the first 2 regular season games, could set us up to start the season off with a road loss or two.

I think that practice reps are more important than playing time in preseason games to get the timing down. I'd like Rodgers, Nelson and Cobb to receive some snaps as well but as long as they're healthy for the start of the regular season I'm fine with it and expect them to perform on a high level.

H

HardRightEdge

Even if Adams bounces back from a terrible season in 2015 there's no doubt Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry would have been better picks at that spot. With Bradford not having played a single snap in two years there were better players available in Telvin Smith and Avery Williamson as well.
In retrospect one can always cherry pick players out of a draft. The test is whether a draft as a whole yields good value.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, we have a run game again. I saw the first half and there were a ton of great holes, lots of patience from the backs, and boy did those FB hit their blocks well. Last season it seemed like Lacy just ran straight and hit everything in his path...be it OL, DL, LB. Now he's following his blocking, making small but decisive cuts. I even saw a small hesitation move that forced an LB to plug the wrong gap resulting in a 4 or 5 gain that would have been 0 last year. Starks look more agile than I remember him being, starting to feel better about the deal he got.

D

Deleted member 6794

In retrospect one can always cherry pick players out of a draft. The test is whether a draft as a whole yields good value.

Absolutely agreed. But while the 2014 draft yielded two high quality starters in Clinton-Dix and Linsley there's no denying the four picks in between those two players have mostly disappointed so far.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely agreed. But while the 2014 draft yielded two high quality starters in Clinton-Dix and Linsley there's no denying the four picks in between those two players have mostly disappointed so far.
The Packers don't expect rookies or 2nd year guys to be core players. I understand what you're saying about being disappointed though. Young players need time to get acclimated and develop as professionals. We aren't ever drafting at the top of the rounds. Imo, patience is required for these kids. When you get immediate excellent production like we did with Matthews, Cobb and Lacy be thankful. It's not the norm. It's far more likely to travel the path of Rodgers, Lang and Nelson.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers don't expect rookies or 2nd year guys to be core players. I understand what you're saying about being disappointed though. Young players need time to get acclimated and develop as professionals. We aren't ever drafting at the top of the rounds. Imo, patience is required for these kids. When you get immediate excellent production like we did with Matthews, Cobb and Lacy be thankful. It's not the norm. It's far more likely to travel the path of Rodgers, Lang and Nelson.

While the Packers might not expect all rookies or second year players to have an immediate impact the team relies on early round draft picks to receive significant playing time early.

Just take a look at Adams as an example. Last season, after losing Nelson for the year the Packers planned on him being their top outside receiver. Unfortunately he didn't fulfill that expectations and the team would have been better off with either Robinson or Landry.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While the Packers might not expect all rookies or second year players to have an immediate impact the team relies on early round draft picks to receive significant playing time early.

Just take a look at Adams as an example. Last season, after losing Nelson for the year the Packers planned on him being their top outside receiver. Unfortunately he didn't fulfill that expectations and the team would have been better off with either Robinson or Landry.
Your assuming that Robinson and Landry would have garnered the trust of Rodgers and been able to correctly adapt quickly to the Packers playbook. That is pure speculation imo, and doesn't warrant a definitive statement of fact that their results would have been the same in Green Bay.

H

HardRightEdge

Every first round pick since Rodgers was at a position of need with that player expected to start right away. Of course it hasn't always worked out that way.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts