2013 Mock-Chart

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to keep this as a running-update of who and when the national mocksters have us taking between now and the 3+ months until the draft.
We'll look back and see who, if anyone, was right about us.

Jan 16th

Mel Kiper:
#26 - PACKERS
Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
Analysis: The Packers have had a tight end in Jermichael Finley who can cause matchup problems in the secondary, but with his long-term future in Green Bay in doubt, they might be ready to target another high-level pass-catching tight end in Ertz. In Stanford's system Ertz has shown an ability to make tough catches all over the field, both down the seam and on the edges, and would be an ideal target for Aaron Rodgers to utilize, further diversifying an offense that can be unstoppable.

Todd McShay:
#26 - PACKERS
Jonathan Cooper*, G, North Carolina
Guard might not be a top need for the Packers, but Cooper's combination of quickness, balance, power and good feet make him a perfect fit in the Packers' zone-stretch scheme. He is the best blocker in space in the class and a top-15 talent who would bring good value at this point.

Scott Wright:
#26 - PACKERS
TYLER EIFERT, TE, NOTRE DAME
This may not make complete sense on the face but Green Bay is one of those teams that can afford to keep one eye on the future rather than being locked into addressing specific, immediate needs. Jermichael Finley is still just 25-years-old and won’t be a free agent until after the 2013 season but his play has been trending downward for a couple of years now and he has also rocked the boat a bit off the field.
Whether or not Finley is in the Packers long-term plans remains to be seen but Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame could serve as either a replacement or compliment.
A fantastic athlete with a huge frame and outstanding ball skills, Eifert is essentially a wide receiver in a tight end’s body and a matchup nightmare in the mold of Jermaine Gresham but can hold his own as a blocker as well. The addition of Eifert would add another dimension to an already potent passing attack, especially in the red zone.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php

Although they are almost the exact same size, I like Eifert a lot more than Ertz.
I don't want a TE with our first pick though. I believe #12 has more than enough weapons.
I think 95% of our upgrades need to be on the defensive side of the ball as... our.... defense.... keeps killing us.
If we're not going to replace Capers, then we have to replace a lot of guys on D. You can't just throw a band-aid or few on it, cross your fingers, and hope magically they get tougher, learn how to tackle, and get better. Doesn't work like that.

Reaction score
I don't like Packers mock drafts. Especially when they are far down in the draft.We have plenty of areas where we could use upgrades. I wouldn't be against a TE . We could use above red zone and third down guy. He would also help in the run game. Finley can't block. I'd rather improve on the O line, Dline but if the talent is there take it otherwise trade back.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a TE in the 1st. Could mean better blocking from that position plus having someone that's actually a threat unlike ol' stone hands could ease the effect of Jennings probably leaving.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft all linebackers!! We have to find sombody to compliment Matthews if we are to continue to run this darn 3-4. The defense has been a headache for 2 yrs now. Is it really the personnel? I dont think so.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barrett Jones has a ****ish AJ Pierzynski attitude to him........but on the softest team in the league that mentality may shake things up for the better.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barrett Jones has a ****ish AJ Pierzynski attitude to him........but on the softest team in the league that mentality may shake things up for the better.
TRUE!
But I want more of that on defense...... but on offense it's good too.
I'm just convinced the team likes EDS a lot and plans on going forward with him at C.
We know both OG's are set.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scott Wright:

26 GREEN BAY PACKERS: MENELIK WATSON, OT, FLORIDA ST.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Scouting Report
Green Bay usually has one of the youngest rosters in the league because they spurn the quick fixes of free agency and are confident in their ability to mine talent from the college ranks. As a result the Packers not only have a well-rounded group of starters but quite a bit of depth as well. There could be an issue at left tackle though, where Marshall Newhouse is merely average at best and former first rounder Derek Sherrod has been unable to overcome a catastrophic leg injury. Florida St. OT Menelik Watson is one of the most intriguing prospects in this draft. A native of Manchester, England, Watson spent two years playing Division I college basketball at Marist (NY) before taking up football at the junior college level and eventually joining the Seminoles for one season. With just three years of experience Watson is obviously extremely raw but he possesses a rare blend of size and athleticism with nimble feet, an aggressive temperament and seemingly unlimited potential. Syracuse OT Justin Pugh could garner some consideration as well. It doesn’t look like Jermichael Finley is in Green Bay’s long-term plans so they could opt to bring in Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame or Zach Ertz of Stanford as an eventual replacement. The Packers are still searching for a solution at running back so Eddie Lacy of Alabama or Montee Ball of Wisconsin could be in the mix too. Don’t rule out an inside linebacker (Manti Te’o of Notre Dame or Kevin Minter of LSU), a cornerback (Desmond Trufant of Washington or Johnthan Banks of Mississippi St.), a safety (Matt Elam of Florida or Eric Reid of LSU) or even "Best Player Available".

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ertz is Finley without the chip block and exp, Eifert is competent as a blocker if he can get a hand on the guy plus he has exp in every way he could be used, Cooper would play Center and EDS WILL get his look there, Watson is the worst 1st round pick I've seen mocked and I'm sick of the athlete picks. DL or S is the most likely pick.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kiper's Update: 2 Rounds:

Eddie Lacy *
COLLEGE: Alabama
HT: 5-11
WT: 231
POS: RB
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Analysis: The Packers have lacked top-end reliability and explosiveness at running back, and that's what Lacy can give them. He ran behind a great line at Alabama, and he offers the best combination of power and open-field shiftiness in this draft. He's the guy in this class who can run with power but also break off some big runs. He also catches the ball well and can be a good safety valve for Aaron Rodgers.
PLAYER CARD
55. Green Bay Packers

J.J. Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern
The Packers are set at cornerback, but need to add a safety in the first three rounds.

Members online

Latest posts