1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

2009 Draft - Round 1, Pick 9, Overall Pick 9 - BJ Raji

Discussion in '2009 Draft Archive' started by robdog, Apr 18, 2009.

1. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    We gave them our 2nd round pick and our two 3rd round picks.

2. pack4life

pack4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    i posted this in other forum but i'll put it here as well, from sports illustrated:

3. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    From NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: The Packers add a versatile outside linebacker to their 3-4. Matthews' multi-dimensional game serves as the perfect complement to Aaron Kampman. As a credible rushing threat with underrated cover skills, Matthews gives Dom Capers the ability to mix and match his rush schemes. Though he only spent one season as a starter in college, he has the potential to be a solid pro in the Packers' defense.

4. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    I could not love the Matthews pick more. I could not love the draft we have going so far more. I wouldn't be surprised if TT gets antsy and finds a way to jump back into round two.

5. ctrev21

ctrev21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the bloodlines are there. Time will tell!

6. ctrev21

ctrev21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Does this pick reflect on how Barnett is coming along from surgery?

7. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    I don't think so. Matthews is going to play on whatever side it is that Kampman doesn't play on. Hawk and Barnett in the middle. All of a sudden, I like our linebackers a lot.

8. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    No, we just needed another LB for our 3-4. Now we will have Kampman, Barnett, Hawk, and Matthews. That's a solid LB group.

9. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree 100%. Now I think we may have the best LB core in the entire league. I know that's too early to say, but just looking at it now, I believe that's a great possibility.

10. pack4life

pack4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed....i'm very excited to see this LB group in action

11. ctrev21

ctrev21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I'm with the rest of you guys. Chillar was no barn burner and Brady is getting long on the tooth for me as well.

12. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    I wanted orakpo but im fine with this decision because it was key component of a 3-4 team and a great player for that spot and hopefully raji proves me wrong and has a kick *** season , and how can i be mad when we just got clay matthews so we got a good olb to fill that spot also

13. Aaron rodgers is god

Ratings:
    +154
    yah we will have an insane LB crew so now we can finally get some pressure with this team and will help out our cbs and safeties the more pressure which means Charles will have 13 ints!!!! not likely but hopefully :p. And our run stopping will increase dramatically with these 2 mens considering we have to go against AP, Forte and a promisiong lions Rb kevin jones, even though he didnt get over 1000 yards he looks good when i watched him run .

14. ctrev21

ctrev21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

You have to beat your division rivals first. Nutrilze the strengths of those teams and you have a better shot at the division title. I'm much happier as I digest today!

15. Sunshine885500

Sunshine885500 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +49
    With what GB has on Defense right now & if everyone transitions into the new scheme fine then we should have one of the top Defenses in the NFL. No kidding! It breaks down as follows:

3 - 1st Round Picks on the Defensive Line (Harrell, Raji, & Pickett)

3 - 1st Round Picks at LB, 1 - 5th Round Pick at LB (Mathews, Hawk, Barnett, & Kapman)

1 - 1st Round Pick, 2 - 2nd Round Picks at DB ( Woodson, Collins, & Harris) leaving Bigby as the only Undrafted FA starting.

Remind you that Pickett was drafted on the 1st Round by St.Louis, Woodson was drafted on the 1st Round by Oakland, & Green Bay traded a 2nd Round Pick for Al Harris.

Based on these numbers our defense should be fantastic and I would venture to say that right now we have more 1st Round Picks on our Start Defense (7) then any team in the league. Also, 2 - 2nd Rounders giving us 9 Premium Draft Picks on our defense. That's not including Kampman who is probably our best Defensive Player, however that could be argued with Woodson, Barnett, etc.

16. Aaron rodgers is god

Ratings:
    +154
    i mean are defense was average at best when we went far in that 13-3 season. it was ranked proabably around 15 that year. then last year we had many Key injuries to our defense Cullen Jenkins , Nick Barnett, Aj hawk with a bad hammy the whole year. Al harris gone for a while. So we still have that pretty good D but now we got a 3-4 D which can rush the passer like some of The great teams in the NFL ...(Steelers, Ravens) and we just added 2 great players from the draft i see no reason why we cant have a top 10 D if everyone works hard and stays healthy

17. ctrev21

ctrev21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I personally thougth we should have gone 3-4 last year with all LB depth.

18. robdog

robdog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +308
    Well it is confirmed for next year the 3-4 so maybe it will give the other teams in our division a little more trouble considering they have less "information" to prepare for the game with our new defense scheme.

19. ctrev21

ctrev21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait to see these guys come summer camp.....This year I'm taking my son to take in a practice, we also go up for Family Night.

20. AzPackerfan

AzPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I think Raji is a great pick. I think it shows that mgmnt recognizes it's main problem...we need to make the defense a threat. I would like to see them take a young, fresh cb now to replace our starters in the future, they aren't getting any younger.

21. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    OUr defnese could be Sick, provided they have the right chemistry.

22. Sunshine885500

Sunshine885500 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +49
    You will really see how good our LB's are now that the DL has been upgraded. Remember they were saying Ray Lewis was washed up until he complained to management to draft another big guy to eat up the blockers in front of him so he can make plays like he use to. They then draft Ngata and the rest was history. Lewis started playing like an All-Pro again. Well when was the last time GB has had anyone on the interior DL that played on All-Pro level. Maybe just maybe we will now see an even better Barnett, the real AJ Hawk and with Kampman & Mathews the sky is the limit.

23. danielchile

danielchile Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Couldn't agree more!

24. PackerFan89

PackerFan89 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a very good pick. I watched tons of Raji's college footage and was very impressed with what he could do at the college level. He is going to be a great NT for the Packers for years to come. GREAT PICK.

BTW i also think we got a 5th round pick from the NE in that trade too.

25. buff71

buff71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    BJ Raji

Love the pic...love the second pic...love our draft...