1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

10 pre-Training Camp Stories

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ThxJackVainisi, Jun 22, 2014.

1. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,024
    jsonline.com has a story titled, “10 Packers stories to watch before training camp opens” http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...raining-camp-opens-b99295536z1-264133171.html

Which of the 10 do you consider most important for the Packers’ success this season?

1. Peace of mind at backup quarterback
    2. Tretter's job to lose at center
    3. Lyerla's bid for a roster spot
    4. Clinton-Dix's bid to start
    5. The Peppers Effect
    6. Replacing Finley
    7. Rodgers' playing style
    8. Lacy's encore
    9. The middle of the defense
    10. The hybrids

2. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,407
    11. Rodgers starts 16 games.

3. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +347
    9. the middle of the defense

4. Packers_16-0

Packers_16-0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
  5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,082
    Personally I am most interested in Clinton Dix's acclimation to the defense and how Peppers is exactly used in conjecture with Matthews. 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8 are not as intriguing to me. Tretter should start, the only worry I have is his blocking which should be adequate. Back up QB... I feel like I know what we have already and I dont expect a big jump. I think well have mediocre TEs this season. At best we get glimpses of something special from Rodgers but as a rookie I dont have very high expectations. Rodgers playing still, I mean the guy is going to be great like he is every season. Sometimes you forget how lucky we are to have several decades of great QB play. Lacy, I believe with RBs you know what they are their rookie year because its the easiest transition as far as positions go from college to pro. He will be a bruiser. I was excited to watch Franklins role increase and was hoping for him catching passes more but obviously that wont be happening.

• Like Like x 1
  6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,429
    9. The middle of the defense

7. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    The middle of the defense. hawk is a lock to start at one ilb spot barring any injuries but I don't want to see jones period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,429
    I agree with you there, but sadly Winston Moss expects Jones to be a three down player.

9. OCBP

OCBP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Peppers.

10. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +301
    If there were an impact, it would be either Peppers and Dix or both. Since they are new here and positions of need.

11. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    I would say Middle of the defense, and the Dix bid to start... It's obvious he will be the starter, but with him starting:
    - We will have a solid FS right off the bat
    - Burnett can go back to playing SS where he plays better
    - This will then help with run/pass support having 2 solid safeties causing less passing yards over the top of corners and eliminating the big play
    - and with the ILB position fixed during training camp, we would essentially have a top 10 defense for sure.

12. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,429
    I agree that Clinton-Dix will improve the safety position significantly and that will help the entire defense. I don´t know why you think the ILB position will be better off than last year as it seems the team plans on having both Hawk and Jones back as the starters.

13. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Carl Bradford in pads. Can't wait.

14. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +3,024
    Since Rodgers is the most important player, his health is most important, but I don’t think he’ll change his playing style. And no matter how careful any player is, it only takes one play - sometimes a fluke play - to end a season or a career. Case in point: After seeing the first replay of the “hit” that ended Nick Collins’ career, I never even considered that may be a career-ender. If Rodgers is out for a couple of games I don’t have any doubt the Packers will be much better prepared, but of course they need Rodgers for all but –at most – a couple of regular season games and of course for the playoffs.

Beyond Rodgers’ health IMO the most important issues are on the other side of the ball. I expect the rookie to start but whether it’s Clinton-Dix or Hyde I expect safety play, including Burnett to be significantly improved. So for me it boils down to 5, 9, or 10. Just as 1 and 7 are related, so are 4, 5, 9, and 10. If Peppers is a beast that’ll be huge for the defense, even with reduced snaps. If Raji is rejuvenated at NT, that’ll go a long way to shoring up the middle of the D. I don’t think Brad Jones is as bad as some here think – I think injuries played a bigger role in his sub-par play than some admit. But I also think they’re looking at Lattimore as a legit alternative but he too will have to step up his play. And of course the safeties play a role in improving the middle of the D.

If “The hybrids” translates to “less scheme, more personnel”, that may be the most important since it centers on how well Capers is able to modify his schemes to better suit his personnel. And that incorporates all aspects of the defense and should make it easier for youngsters to get on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    That's fine, then he should expect to see a lot of teams converting On third down then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Passepartout

Passepartout I Pooted!

Ratings:
    +18
    Third down is really the key to it all. Trying to prevent a first down.

17. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +223
    1. DL play.
    2. Center and how that translates to ability of McCarthy to call plays he wants
    3. Level of improvement of second and some third year players.
    4. Injuries. - when and at what positions.
    5. Is Peppers still a major impact player in his roles that Capers puts him in.

Everything else will take care of itself if we don't have major failure in the previous five things.

18. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    When did I say that? haha I thought we were doing hypotheticals here

19. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +3,024
    I think captainWIMM is referring to this:

• Agree Agree x 1