1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

1 draft pick do over

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Mar 27, 2014.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,100
    If you could have one draft pick do over from the past 6 years who would it be? No trading up or down or any of that funny business

2. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175
    There are so many options just in 2010 and 2011 alone. Geno Atkins over Mike Neal, Kam Chancler over Morgan Burnett, or Navarro Bowman in that draft. Richard Sherman over DJ Williams, Justin Houston over Derek Sherrod, anyone over Alex Green.

I would have to say Atkins over Neal though, that talent on the line is too great to overlook, and would help the Pack out more than any other move, although I will admit Richard Sherman over Williams is very tempting.

I didn't want to look too into the 2012 or 2013 drafts as I don't think there has been enough time to properly evaluate them.

3. Just|Me

Just|Me Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    easy - Burnett out, Chancellor (or Bowman(Graham) in

Draft 2010, pick 71, rd.3

4. Luca

Luca Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    The best options are:
    2006 AJ Hawk > Haloti Ngata
    2007 Justin Harell > Joe Staley
    2010 Burnett (or Neal) > Geno Atkins (or Graham/Bowman)
    2010 Marshall Newhouse > Greg Hardy
    2011 Alex Green > Richard Sherman

But best option is probably Colin Kaepernick for Derek Sherrod. The Niners wouldn't have made the play-offs in 2012 and 2013, and therefore we wouldn't have lost. And we wouldn't have missed Sherrod anyway ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,588
    NaVarro Bowman, don´t care if it would have been over Neal or Burnett.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    I think Harbaugh made Alex Smith into a playoff quarterback before they shipped him out. Though maybe we don't lose in the playoffs to him.

7. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,424
    I know it's not within the last 6 years (man I feel old) but in the TT tenure, I would definitely go back and re-do the Justin Harrell pick. At the time, Dallas was begging a team to give up their 1st so they could move back into the 1st and get Brady Quinn. They were offering their 2nd and a 1st in the 2008 draft, and I was hoping we would jump on this.

Without knowing who we would have taken the following year or with the extra 2nd in 2007 (obviously it would have been a lot better than who we got), I think this would have been a great deal for us.

Within the last 6 I would re-do the 2nd round in 2008 and get Jamaal Charles. Both Brohm and Pat Lee were taken before Charles in the same round, and I'd obviously give up either to have gotten Charles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +346
    Can we give both back for Bowman?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +229
    My immediate thought was Harrell. I cant even imagine what that pick could have brought if Ted had traded it back to Dallas. Of course, he would have been pilloried at the time if he had pulled the trigger on that Dallas offer.

On another note, what if he had passed on Rodgers, and either traded back 10 slots or chosen a player to fill an immediate need. Could he have gotten Rodgers ten slots later?

10. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Both Bowman & Geno Atkins are now rehabbing torn ACL's... so they'd fit right in. I think Geno is an ACL, or something else very serious.
    Anyway, they'd fit in.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,588
    The Redskins took Jason Campbell with the next pick, so it´s very unlikely Rodgers would have made it past them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +346
    And had Sherman been GM still the Redskins would have been jumping for joy

13. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +229
    I didn't know that. They probably would have turned Rodgers into Jason Campbell or Jake Locker. They're a lame outfit.

14. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +346
    What does this do with whether or not they would have taken him? You don't think they would have? What they would have done with him is irrelevant in this discussion.

15. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,466
    I'd love to say Harrell too, but that was 7 years ago. However, just looking in the first three rounds I'd say that the most useless pick was Brian Brohm. Every other player either contributed to the team in some way - maybe not well - or still has the potential to contribute (Sherrod). Brohm was a giant failure for a 2nd round pick. Luckily Jordy Nelson, and to some extent Pat Lee, balanced out that 2nd round.

16. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,136
    Somewhat farther back in time than 6 drafts ;) I would have preferred:
    Ronnie Lott instead of Rich Campbell.
    Dan Marino (or Jim Kelly) instead of Tim Lewis (Lewis’ career cut short because of spinal injury in his fourth season) in the 'great QB' draft.
    (In the order of that draft) Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, or Deion Sanders instead of Tony Mandarich.

17. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +323
    Barry Sanders instead of Tony Mandarich I don't care if it was more than 6 years ago. Next to Ryan Leaf, probably one of the biggest draft boondoggles in history.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,100
    You switch Sanders for Mandarich and there is a very strong chance Ron wolf is never hired.

We become the lions of the 90s. Highlights but little else to show for it. 8 and 8 team that never goes anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,136
    Or Sanders gets drafted by the Packers, breaks his ankle the first practice and is never the same. Seriously, your point is well taken, events in history have a ripple effect and there's no way of knowing how the "ripples" would have been different after changing one significant event. I went back in time just to give some historical perspective (and because I don't like following directions!).

20. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,862
    Sanders is the most overrated player in NFL history. For every big play, there were a dozen -2 to +2 yard drive killing runs. You can't consistently win games that way.

• Like Like x 2
  21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,100
    grab your pitch fork amish, and prepare to defend yourself, his fan boys will be coming after you

22. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +229
    I didn't insinuate that the Redskins wouldn't have taken him. I never saw the Redskin's 2005 draft board.

Lighten up Francis.

23. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +346
    Well then maybe you need to be more clear next time :);)

24. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Who knows.
    We still had Sterling Sharpe, drafted the year before Barry.
    That's a helluva 1-2 punch.

Remember the Packers went 10-6 one year with Majik man anyway right, winning at San Francisco.
    Who knows.

25. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Von Holliday over Randy Moss had me and my Packer fans furious as it happened.... 1998, Favre was running out of receivers, weapons. Thought he was going to be a superstar, a difference-maker, a special playmaker, and we were sure we were going to team them up.

Wrong.

Turned out he was the difference-maker, and he made a whole bunch of stiff QB's look like Pro Bowlers, and the Vikings past us right away from the moment he got there in 1998 after we had made 2 straight Super Bowls.

Holliday had a nice, durable, career though. But you rarely get chances like that.... Teddy grabbed Rodgers in a similar free-fall. Wolf admitted passing on Moss was his biggest regret ever as Packers GM.