1 draft pick do over

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you could have one draft pick do over from the past 6 years who would it be? No trading up or down or any of that funny business

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are so many options just in 2010 and 2011 alone. Geno Atkins over Mike Neal, Kam Chancler over Morgan Burnett, or Navarro Bowman in that draft. Richard Sherman over DJ Williams, Justin Houston over Derek Sherrod, anyone over Alex Green.

I would have to say Atkins over Neal though, that talent on the line is too great to overlook, and would help the Pack out more than any other move, although I will admit Richard Sherman over Williams is very tempting.

I didn't want to look too into the 2012 or 2013 drafts as I don't think there has been enough time to properly evaluate them.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best options are:
2006 AJ Hawk > Haloti Ngata
2007 Justin Harell > Joe Staley
2010 Burnett (or Neal) > Geno Atkins (or Graham/Bowman)
2010 Marshall Newhouse > Greg Hardy
2011 Alex Green > Richard Sherman

But best option is probably Colin Kaepernick for Derek Sherrod. The Niners wouldn't have made the play-offs in 2012 and 2013, and therefore we wouldn't have lost. And we wouldn't have missed Sherrod anyway ;).

D

Deleted member 6794

NaVarro Bowman, don´t care if it would have been over Neal or Burnett.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But best option is probably Colin Kaepernick for Derek Sherrod. The Niners wouldn't have made the play-offs in 2012 and 2013, and therefore we wouldn't have lost. And we wouldn't have missed Sherrod anyway ;).
I think Harbaugh made Alex Smith into a playoff quarterback before they shipped him out. Though maybe we don't lose in the playoffs to him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's not within the last 6 years (man I feel old) but in the TT tenure, I would definitely go back and re-do the Justin Harrell pick. At the time, Dallas was begging a team to give up their 1st so they could move back into the 1st and get Brady Quinn. They were offering their 2nd and a 1st in the 2008 draft, and I was hoping we would jump on this.

Without knowing who we would have taken the following year or with the extra 2nd in 2007 (obviously it would have been a lot better than who we got), I think this would have been a great deal for us.

Within the last 6 I would re-do the 2nd round in 2008 and get Jamaal Charles. Both Brohm and Pat Lee were taken before Charles in the same round, and I'd obviously give up either to have gotten Charles.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My immediate thought was Harrell. I cant even imagine what that pick could have brought if Ted had traded it back to Dallas. Of course, he would have been pilloried at the time if he had pulled the trigger on that Dallas offer.

On another note, what if he had passed on Rodgers, and either traded back 10 slots or chosen a player to fill an immediate need. Could he have gotten Rodgers ten slots later?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Bowman & Geno Atkins are now rehabbing torn ACL's... so they'd fit right in. I think Geno is an ACL, or something else very serious.
Anyway, they'd fit in.

D

Deleted member 6794

On another note, what if he had passed on Rodgers, and either traded back 10 slots or chosen a player to fill an immediate need. Could he have gotten Rodgers ten slots later?

The Redskins took Jason Campbell with the next pick, so it´s very unlikely Rodgers would have made it past them.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Redskins took Jason Campbell with the next pick, so it´s very unlikely Rodgers would have made it past them.
I didn't know that. They probably would have turned Rodgers into Jason Campbell or Jake Locker. They're a lame outfit.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know that. They probably would have turned Rodgers into Jason Campbell or Jake Locker. They're a lame outfit.

What does this do with whether or not they would have taken him? You don't think they would have? What they would have done with him is irrelevant in this discussion.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to say Harrell too, but that was 7 years ago. However, just looking in the first three rounds I'd say that the most useless pick was Brian Brohm. Every other player either contributed to the team in some way - maybe not well - or still has the potential to contribute (Sherrod). Brohm was a giant failure for a 2nd round pick. Luckily Jordy Nelson, and to some extent Pat Lee, balanced out that 2nd round.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Somewhat farther back in time than 6 drafts ;) I would have preferred:
Ronnie Lott instead of Rich Campbell.
Dan Marino (or Jim Kelly) instead of Tim Lewis (Lewis’ career cut short because of spinal injury in his fourth season) in the 'great QB' draft.
(In the order of that draft) Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, or Deion Sanders instead of Tony Mandarich.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry Sanders instead of Tony Mandarich I don't care if it was more than 6 years ago. Next to Ryan Leaf, probably one of the biggest draft boondoggles in history.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry Sanders instead of Tony Mandarich I don't care if it was more than 6 years ago. Next to Ryan Leaf, probably one of the biggest draft boondoggles in history.

You switch Sanders for Mandarich and there is a very strong chance Ron wolf is never hired.

We become the lions of the 90s. Highlights but little else to show for it. 8 and 8 team that never goes anywhere.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You switch Sanders for Mandarich and there is a very strong chance Ron wolf is never hired.
Or Sanders gets drafted by the Packers, breaks his ankle the first practice and is never the same. Seriously, your point is well taken, events in history have a ripple effect and there's no way of knowing how the "ripples" would have been different after changing one significant event. I went back in time just to give some historical perspective (and because I don't like following directions!).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We become the lions of the 90s. Highlights but little else to show for it. 8 and 8 team that never goes anywhere.
Sanders is the most overrated player in NFL history. For every big play, there were a dozen -2 to +2 yard drive killing runs. You can't consistently win games that way.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders is the most overrated player in NFL history. For every big play, there were a dozen -2 to +2 yard drive killing runs. You can't consistently win games that way.

grab your pitch fork amish, and prepare to defend yourself, his fan boys will be coming after you

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What does this do with whether or not they would have taken him? You don't think they would have? What they would have done with him is irrelevant in this discussion.

I didn't insinuate that the Redskins wouldn't have taken him. I never saw the Redskin's 2005 draft board.

Lighten up Francis.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Who knows.
We still had Sterling Sharpe, drafted the year before Barry.
That's a helluva 1-2 punch.

Remember the Packers went 10-6 one year with Majik man anyway right, winning at San Francisco.
Who knows.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Von Holliday over Randy Moss had me and my Packer fans furious as it happened.... 1998, Favre was running out of receivers, weapons. Thought he was going to be a superstar, a difference-maker, a special playmaker, and we were sure we were going to team them up.

Wrong.

Turned out he was the difference-maker, and he made a whole bunch of stiff QB's look like Pro Bowlers, and the Vikings past us right away from the moment he got there in 1998 after we had made 2 straight Super Bowls.

Holliday had a nice, durable, career though. But you rarely get chances like that.... Teddy grabbed Rodgers in a similar free-fall. Wolf admitted passing on Moss was his biggest regret ever as Packers GM.

Members online

Latest posts