Your Packer Big Board

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, post your packer big board. Make Gutes job a little easier by providing a handy list of players he can pick.

Therefore, when pick 12 comes up, if you were GM, you would take the highest player on the list.

Heres my list:

1. Q. Williams
2. J. Allen
3. N. Bosa
4. Devin White
5. Jawaan Taylor
6. Ed Oliver
7. Jonah Williams
8. TJ Hockenson
9. Christian Wilkins
10. Andre Dillard
11. Jeffrey Simmons
12. Rashan Gary

I expect 2 QBs to be gone from the board so I would expect 10 to be the worst likely case scenario.

I would be looking for a trade back after Hockenson. I'm really guessing on Simmons injury being healable.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
  1. Q. Williams, iDL, UA
  2. N. Bosa, ED, OSU
  3. E. Oliver, iDL, UH
  4. J. Williams, OL, UA
  5. A. Dillard, OT, WSU
  6. T. Hockenson, TE, IA
  7. D. Bush, LB, UM
  8. C. Wilkins, iDL, CLEM
  9. J. Taylor, OT, FLA*
  10. D. White, LB, LSU
  11. M. Sweat, ED, MSU**
  12. J. Allen, ED, UK
*Lack of agility numbers for Taylor makes it hard for me to pin him down. I know combine numbers seem silly for OL, but Packers have had a ton of success drafting guys that can move laterally and who proved it at the combine.

**Have to qualify Sweat given that we don't know what's up with the heart condition

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Q. Williams, iDL, UA
  2. N. Bosa, ED, OSU
  3. J. Allen, ED, UK
  4. E. Oliver, iDL, UH
  5. J. Taylor, OT, FLA
  6. D. White, LB, LSU
  7. J. Williams, OL, UA
  8. R. Gary, DL, UM
  9. D. Bush, LB, UM
  10. C. Ford, OL, UO
  11. C. Wilkins, iDL, CLEM
  12. T. Hockenson, TE, IA
I'd be thrilled with anyone of 1-7, happy with 8-10 and OK with 11 or 12. I haven't ranked Sweat given his heart condition.

Last edited:

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Q. Williams
2. N. Bosa
3. J. Allen
4. E. Oliver
5. D. White
6. C. Wilkins
7. C. Ford
8. J. Taylor
9. J. Williams
10. D. Bush
11. A. Dillard
12. B. Murphy

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Nick Bosa
2. Josh Allen
3. Ed Oliver
4. Devin White
5. Quinen Williams
6. Montez Sweat
7. Tj Hockenson
8. Andre Dillard
9. Jawan Taylor
10. Greedy Willams
11. Jonah Williams
12. DeAndre Baker

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updating my list. I'm downgrading Gary and putting Christiam Wilkins in at 12.

1. Q. Williams
2. J. Allen
3. N. Bosa
4. Devin White
5. Ed Oliver
6. Jawaan Taylor
7. Jonah Williams
8. TJ Hockenson
9. Greedy Williams
10. Andre Dillard
11. Jeffrey Simmons
12. Christian Wilkens

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless we trade up we'll have no shot at Allen, Bosa, or Williams.

So at 12, we're looking at Oliver, Taylor, White, Jonah Williams, or Burns.

I'm assuming White and Oliver will likely also be gone; and, also figure the QB from OU...

That's 6 of the 12 picks getting to us

If we came away with Taylor, JWilliams, or Burns I'd be okay with that.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless we trade up we'll have no shot at Allen, Bosa, or Williams.

So at 12, we're looking at Oliver, Taylor, White, Jonah Williams, or Burns.

I'm assuming White and Oliver will likely also be gone; and, also figure the QB from OU...

That's 6 of the 12 picks getting to us

If we came away with Taylor, JWilliams, or Burns I'd be okay with that.
Of course bosa isnt dropping to 12. Just a list for discussion on top players for the Packers. If it helps you, think of it as if the Packers are thinking a trade up and need to know which players deserve to go where. (Not the cost of the trade)

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course bosa isnt dropping to 12. Just a list for discussion on top players for the Packers. If it helps you, think of it as if the Packers are thinking a trade up and need to know which players deserve to go where. (Not the cost of the trade)

I'd just as soon stay at 12... Burns is my hope. Burns or White.

I'm higher on Taylor than William's or Dillard.

I know everyone is skeptical of Burns b/c he is spindly, but I think he is going to fill out. His ceiling is pretty high I think.

Just b/c we signed the Smiths doesn't mean we gave enough pass rush. Signing the only gets us up to average.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd just as soon stay at 12... Burns is my hope. Burns or White.

I'm higher on Taylor than William's or Dillard.

I know everyone is skeptical of Burns b/c he is spindly, but I think he is going to fill out. His ceiling is pretty high I think.

Just b/c we signed the Smiths doesn't mean we gave enough pass rush. Signing the only gets us up to average.
Its just an exercise because we dont know who will be at 12.

White is my great hope. Burns doesnt appear to do the things we require an OLB to do. White, and our defense as a whole, would benefit greatly from the Smith's holding contain.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My hang up with Burns at #12 is simply that almost every time one of these long, light, underpowered edge prospects comes out of college, they flop.

I realize that that's flawed logic. Previous failures don't guarantee future failures. However, I do think there's substance to the trend. It's really hard to succeed in the NFL if you can't play with power.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hang up with Burns at #12 is simply that almost every time one of these long, light, underpowered edge prospects comes out of college, they flop.

I realize that that's flawed logic. Previous failures don't guarantee future failures. However, I do think there's substance to the trend. It's really hard to succeed in the NFL if you can't play with power.
Burns is a more complete player than many of those who came before him. He played good setting the edge. I thought he would be this years Landry and drop to mid 2nd. However, he did surprise me with his combine performance with a weight gain. He upped his value, but I'm still thinking he is 20-25ish value. I would consider him at 30. At 12? No way. There will be better options available.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Burns is a more complete player than many of those who came before him. He played good setting the edge. I thought he would be this years Landry and drop to mid 2nd. However, he did surprise me with his combine performance with a weight gain. He upped his value, but I'm still thinking he is 20-25ish value. I would consider him at 30. At 12? No way. There will be better options available.

I definitely don't agree.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking at Burns for what I think he can be.

He put on weight for the combine, and didn't lose any speed or agility... I think that is only going to continue as he matures.

I like White a lot as well - again, for what I think he can be. He's a physical freak now, but not a well trained football player. He's a converted RB, so he is still learning how to play LB.

White would help more immediately, Burns will take a year or two to develop.
Both are high ceiling players.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm looking at Burns for what I think he can be.

He put on weight for the combine, and didn't lose any speed or agility... I think that is only going to continue as he matures.

I like White a lot as well - again, for what I think he can be. He's a physical freak now, but not a well trained football player. He's a converted RB, so he is still learning how to play LB.

White would help more immediately, Burns will take a year or two to develop.
Both are high ceiling players.

And it totally could continue. But "it's only going to continue" or "he's only going to get better" are some of the most common phrases thrown around in draft season, and they are demonstrably untrue. Many times, players don't "continue" and they don't "get better."

Actually, every time I've seen one of these undersized, underpowered edge rushers coming out of college, I've heard that same prediction and most of the time it's failed to materialize (e.g. Leonard Floyd, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Aaron Maybin, etc.).

Burns clearly played really light on tape. Of course, I don't have an official number, but I've rarely seen a legit prospect on tape who was that rail thin. So if it's that easy that he's going to just add the weight and keep it on, why didn't it happen in four years at a legit CFB program?

For what it's worth, I heard him comment that he was eating to the point of being physically ill to bulk up for his combine workout. He said he forced himself to keep eating and then tried not to vomit. That doesn't sound sustainable to me.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it totally could continue. But "it's only going to continue" or "he's only going to get better" are some of the most common phrases thrown around in draft season, and they are demonstrably untrue. Many times, players don't "continue" and they don't "get better."

Actually, every time I've seen one of these undersized, underpowered edge rushers coming out of college, I've heard that same prediction and most of the time it's failed to materialize (e.g. Leonard Floyd, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Aaron Maybin, etc.).

Burns clearly played really light on tape. Of course, I don't have an official number, but I've rarely seen a legit prospect on tape who was that rail thin. So if it's that easy that he's going to just add the weight and keep it on, why didn't it happen in four years at a legit CFB program?

For what it's worth, I heard him comment that he was eating to the point of being physically ill to bulk up for his combine workout. He said he forced himself to keep eating and then tried not to vomit. That doesn't sound sustainable to me.

I didn't like any of those comparison players you used as much as Burns.

As for bulking up, he was doing it over a short time frame. Longer term, he can get on a good diet, with NFL caliber training...

If he stays dedicated - and I think he will (he's a good kid) - he should be able to bulk up just fine.

Like I said, I think his ceiling is very high. Guys with that kind of speed and bend around the corner don't come along every day.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its just an exercise because we dont know who will be at 12.

White is my great hope. Burns doesnt appear to do the things we require an OLB to do. White, and our defense as a whole, would benefit greatly from the Smith's holding contain.

Just wondering... does that make him your "Great White Hope"?

Ha ha. I made a funny.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didn't like any of those comparison players you used as much as Burns.

As for bulking up, he was doing it over a short time frame. Longer term, he can get on a good diet, with NFL caliber training...

If he stays dedicated - and I think he will (he's a good kid) - he should be able to bulk up just fine.

Like I said, I think his ceiling is very high. Guys with that kind of speed and bend around the corner don't come along every day.

I believe you, but the point isn't that Burns is the exact same prospect as the others. It's that they have the same glaring weakness.

Maybe he can add sustainable weight and strength over time, but he never did in college. It's not a guarantee that every guy can do that.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pray the Packers do not draft Burns.

If they want a long outside pass rusher go with Montez Sweat he has legit size and pass rush ability.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...ssissippi-state-scouting-report-defensive-end

There is one specific clip in this article that sums it up for me. Watching it is a moment like watching that clip from davantae Adams rookie training camp. Where he runs a route so pretty against Casey Hayward that it turns Hayward around and around. I saw that one single route and knew Adams was gonna be the real deal.

You can watch this one rush and tell Sweat is the real deal now granted Adams was against Hayward a guy we knew was a top of the line NFL player at the time. I'm not sure who the tackle sweat is up against is? But wow! he starts his rush outside then cuts across the tackles face and has a free run at the qb. The ot ends up on the ground without sweat really even putting hands on him.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they want a long outside pass rusher go with Montez Sweat he has legit size and pass rush ability.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...ssissippi-state-scouting-report-defensive-end

There is one specific clip in this article that sums it up for me. Watching it is a moment like watching that clip from davantae Adams rookie training camp. Where he runs a route so pretty against Casey Hayward that it turns Hayward around and around. I saw that one single route and knew Adams was gonna be the real deal.

You can watch this one rush and tell Sweat is the real deal now granted Adams was against Hayward a guy we knew was a top of the line NFL player at the time. I'm not sure who the tackle sweat is up against is? But wow! he starts his rush outside then cuts across the tackles face and has a free run at the qb. The ot ends up on the ground without sweat really even putting hands on him.

The medical tests at the combine revealing that Sweat has a heart condition will most likely result in him dropping significantly though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The medical tests at the combine revealing that Sweat has a heart condition will most likely result in him dropping significantly though.

I don't think that's true, I still think he might not even be available at #12. By all accounts I've heard the preexisting condition that was discovered is not viewed to be serious. And his talent at a premium position is just too good to slide that far. I don't think it's gonna be like Reggie Ragland were he fell to I think the second round. One sweat is a much better prospect at a much more premium position, and two sweats condition has already been talked about while nobody had heard anything about Raglands prior to draft day

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think that's true, I still think he might not even be available at #12. By all accounts I've heard the preexisting condition that was discovered is not viewed to be serious. And his talent at a premium position is just too good to slide that far. I don't think it's gonna be like Reggie Ragland were he fell to I think the second round. One sweat is a much better prospect at a much more premium position, and two sweats condition has already been talked about while nobody had heard anything about Raglands prior to draft day

Maurice Hurst dropped to the fifth round last year. Obviously I don't have any inside information on his condition but it's possible he won't be drafted on the first two days because of it.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sweat is a good player, but he is too stiff. He gets locked up with OTs too often. Still he is a good player. Don't want him at 12 though.

Burns on the other hand is very bendy, and will only get bigger in the pros. His ceiling is higher.