Woodson and Matthews importance

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prayfully we have them both back against the Lions next Sunday night. The defense looked bad versus the run. How do you let a rb (Adrian Peterson or not) run all over you for over 200 yds when you know he's getting the ball? The Vikings did squat threw the air but destroyed us with the rush. The tackling or lack thereof is terrible, on that 80 yd run he broke like five tackles where guy's are just diving at his legs.

I'll take a W anyday but if Minnesota had some decent wr's and a good qb we lose that game..point blank. It's sad we almost let one man beat us. If not for Morgan Burnett's two timely int's we are a bunch of mad Packer fans right now. Hopefully when woodson and Matthews comes back we become a wayyy better unit.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Woodson comes back, he should be permanently moved to SS. Shields should be back as well and Hayward and House are both playing well, so there is no need for Woodson to play any more corner or ever be lined up on the outside.

I have liked some of what I've seen out of MD Jennings, but he is still better suited as a backup at this point in his career.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
woodson needs to upgrde the size and padding level of his shoulder pads to help prevent similar injury. He plays with those damn practice shell size pads.

CM3 will be a more welcome return than woodson, IMO. We have had ZERO pass rush since his injury. He causes so much chaos to offensive lines.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on seeing either of these 2 until the Bears game. I think Shields will be back this week to help against #81 but Woodson I don't think is ready and Clay will get extra time off especially after Jordy re-aggrivated his hammy.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson will be in the slot because he's good against the run and a good blitzer.

Yes, he's good at those things, but at this point, Heyward is the more dynamic player. He is the future. I dare say he is in the conversation for Defensive Rookie of the Year. This could very well be Woodson's last year as a Packer.

Playing Woodson anywhere other than Safety is an overall downgrade to the defense.

I also believe that Woodson was the Strong before he got hurt and Burnett the Free. Burnett has played better as the Strong, so I'd vote that Woodson be moved to Free if that is the case. This would let the team further hide his slipping speed and give him a better chance at picks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is AP....

I dont think any RB we face rest of the season can do what he does...He can make ALL defenses look foolish

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
woodson needs to upgrde the size and padding level of his shoulder pads to help prevent similar injury. He plays with those damn practice shell size pads.

CM3 will be a more welcome return than woodson, IMO. We have had ZERO pass rush since his injury. He causes so much chaos to offensive lines.

Yes he does need to wear some real shoulder pads i agree.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is AP....

I dont think any RB we face rest of the season can do what he does...He can make ALL defenses look foolish

Then Add Frank Gore, Ahmad Bradshaw, Donald Brown, Marshawn Lynch, Mikel Lashoure, and Stevens-Howlings to the list to cus they all made our run defense look suspect.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Then Add Frank Gore, Ahmad Bradshaw, Donald Brown, Marshawn Lynch, Mikel Lashoure, and Stevens-Howlings to the list to cus they all made our run defense look suspect.

Lynch got shut down in 2nd half
Howlings was 3 yards a carry under 55 yards

But we know the def line isnt that good..Shouldnt be surprised they cant stop the run

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AD is great but there is no excuse for the **** poor tackling on that 82 yard run. You can't tackle a strong beast like him above the hips.

Cali's#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key right now is still coming out with a W, and being able to rest Matthews for one more week. If we are going to make a playoff run, we gotta make sure Matthews is along for the ride. Turns out he is our defense.

Im much more concerned about our offensive line personally. What i would give to see Rodgers look for his second option!!!!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We played Sunday with 6 starters out on defense, and that's not counting Collins, who may be the most important loss of all. Our best tackler, our best pass rusher, our best cornerback out. The Yikes fans were complaining that Harvin was out, and Allen has a sore shoulder, but you gotta hand it to them--they did pretty well against our backups. We get Matthews, Woodson back for the Bears game and we win the division, and probably the no. 2 seed. Huge games coming up.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not only the play of Woodson (actually not all that before his injury) and Matthews but the leadership they bring to the defense. We miss that.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2009 & Matthews in 2010.
The only other comparison for taking away 2 such important players could be Suggs & Ed Reed, or Polamalu & James Harrison.
Maybe Champ Bailey & Von Miller, but Champ never created as much havoc as Wood has.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we know the def line isnt that good..Shouldnt be surprised they cant stop the run

The tackling/angles by the secondary were problematic on the long runs that Peterson sprung (82 and 48 yards).

It's not like Peterson was gashing us for 5-7 yards per carry all day long, so this wasn't all on the line. In fact, they did well to force MIN into third and distance situations. It wasn't like the Vikings were sustaining drives on the ground (and I believe they're one of the better rushing teams in the league).

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Is Woodson even coming back? I'm tired of him yapping on the sidelines.
What else do you want him to do? I'm sure he is giving out pointers to the young guys or looking at pics od offensive formations. Yes, he does do some talking, but GB always takes their injured guys to the games with them. I think they may feel more connected to the team that way even if they are not actively playing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the ESPN guys said simply that the Packers are a different team without Clay Matthews. You could say that in 2009 about Woodson, and to a minor degree still can, but the defense has been all Clay since 2010. Defenses don't scheme away from anyone on our defense, unless Clay Matthews is on the field. Nobody on the Packers defense chases down plays from the opposite side of the field, the way that Clay Matthews does or an Urlacher. Outside of Heyward and Burnett making interceptions, nobody forces turnovers the way that Clay Matthews does for the Packers.

BTW - Making comments about Woodson "yapping" on the sidelines is ridiculous. Every coach wants a player engaged on sidelines, encouraging teammates, and providing feedback especially from a talented veteran. Maybe 'Rodgers in the House' would prefer that Woodson was more like Jay Cutler, sitting on the bench with a frumpy I-don't-care look.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has leadership and impact on the field. It would be different if he was talking and not the caliber player he is... but this is one of the greatest football players to ever suit up. If he wanted to he wouldn't have to say anything, his body of work speaks for it self. Don't forget he's one who forces turnovers as well.

Members online

Latest posts