Williams to the Browns!!!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith would be overpriced, he had 2 sacks last year! I dont think he would be TT's choice.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll grant you that. ok. i can foresee the packers picking up a FA D-end, i don't know who, and moving Cullen Jenkins inside... better?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yep definitely i agree with you, and if not in FA then definitely in draft, especially in day 2, TT will take care of it though and find some good prospects. Its very reassuring to know that he will make the right choices for the Pack.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yep definitely i agree with you, and if not in FA then definitely in draft, especially in day 2, TT will take care of it though and find some good prospects. Its very reassuring to know that he will make the right choices for the Pack.

yeah, TT is a genius. This Williams deal is awesome if you ask me. I was one saying all along that we need to keep Williams, and was happy that he would be with the Packers in 2008 because of the franchise tag. but for TT to trade him, you know that he feels we are set at DT with or without Williams, and to get a 2 round draft choice because of this move... absolutely brilliant.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to this article now ESPN is saying it is for a third round pick.

i guess it would be pretty bizarre for the Browns to have niether a 1st or a 2nd round pick. Perhaps it will be a third and maybe a 6th they give up.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
bigfog said:
I think Green Bay got fleeced a bit. Only a 2nd for Williams? That's not much. At least get another draft pick or another player. Given the market for DTs out there, this doesn't seem like they got as much as they could have for Williams.

Another point - I'm still not seeing this trade officially on Packers.com or anything. Maybe they are still working out the particulars?

The trade is now mentioned on the GB Press Gazette web site, although it just says "according to a number of Web reports."

A second rounder for Williams sounds like a very good deal to me. Do you honestly think they could've gotten a first round pick for him? I was surprised that Thompson franchised Williams, but this explains the move. (Some people had speculated that they franchised him just to trade him.) Williams is a good player, but only a borderline starter, and at a position where the Packers have a lot of depth, with Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, and Cole. That second rounder could be spent on a high quality CB, TE, OL, or other position.

I don't think he was worth a first, and a second rounder is nice - but given the demand for DTs after what happened in the Superbowl, the mega deal that Oakland just signed and the crummy free agent market for DTs, I just think that Green Bay could've gotten more. Sure, Williams may not be worth more - but when you're the only game in town, you should be able to pick your price is all I'm saying.

They might have done this but nothing was said, but I'm wondering how many teams were in the mix for Williams. I have the utmost belief that TT got as much as he could for Williams, but a 2nd just feels like small potatoes, especially a lower 2nd.

Just my two cents.

and how do you know they didnt try to get anything better and that was the best deal they were getting..

options were,

Williams signs it, Pack are out the cap hit with a spot that is VERY deep to start with. And becomes free agent next year.

Williams signs it, a club makes him a better offer and the Pack get 2 1st rounders ( wouldnt happen with Williams )

Williams doesnt sign it, Pack get nothing until he signs and lose a player in the mean time

Packers with draw it and allow him to become a free agent and do not get anything in return

Williams signs it, Pack are able to trade him to the highest bidder

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

i'll take Jay Glazers word for it for now

Browns | Team acquires C. Williams
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:04:54 -0800

Updating a previous item, Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have agreed in principle on a trade to acquire Green Bay Packers DT Corey Williams in exchange for a second-round pick.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
packersfan4life said:

Updating a previous item, Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have agreed in principle on a trade to acquire Green Bay Packers DT Corey Williams in exchange for a second-round pick.

Or Phil Savage in the Cleveland Plain dealer stating it was a 2nd. ;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
packersfan4life said:

Or Phil Savage in the Cleveland Plain dealer stating it was a 2nd. ;)

Look at the time stamp at the end of the article, less then a hour ago...Article states 2nd
Browns set to acquire Williams from Packers

Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - The Cleveland Browns have acquired defensive lineman Corey Williams from the Green Bay Packers in exchange for a second- round pick, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Williams would have to sign his one-year franchise tender offer, then a long- term deal to complete the trade. The Packers would receive a second-round pick in this year's draft in return.

A sixth-round pick in 2004 by the Packers, Williams played in all 16 games last season, recording 35 tackles and tying a career-best with seven sacks. The 27-year-old Arkansas State product has 119 tackles and 17 sacks in 56 career games.

02/29 11:07:05 ET

Pack93z

Reaction score
ESPN is going downhill with all these wannabe writers, honestly the quality they put out sometimes in questionable IHMO.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I havent seen the reports saying a 2nd round in THIS DRAFT, what if its for 2009?

LOL

Pack93z

Reaction score
I havent seen the reports saying a 2nd round in THIS DRAFT, what if its for 2009?

LOL

The TT bashing will begin full force..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay got fleeced a bit. Only a 2nd for Williams? That's not much. At least get another draft pick or another player. Given the market for DTs out there, this doesn't seem like they got as much as they could have for Williams.

Another point - I'm still not seeing this trade officially on Packers.com or anything. Maybe they are still working out the particulars?

You think Corey Williams is worth more than a 2nd? He's been to 0 Pro Bowls and he wasn't an every down player until Johnny Jolley got hurt. A 2nd was very fair value for both teams. Brown get a 3-4 DE and the Packers pickup an early pick. Great trade for both teams in my opinion.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bigfog said:

You think Corey Williams is worth more than a 2nd? He's been to 0 Pro Bowls and he wasn't an every down player until Johnny Jolley got hurt. A 2nd was very fair value for both teams. Brown get a 3-4 DE and the Packers pickup an early pick. Great trade for both teams in my opinion.

The other thing is maybe MM knows something about Harrell we don't. He may be farther along developing than we realize. Plus, we have 2 good DTs coming back from IR who may be 100%. We may be loaded at DT, so Williams was probably expendable.

TT & MM may be looking at a DE in the draft as well that would keep Jenkins inside more, thus making the DT spot even more solid. Or maybe TT found a good DT in the draft that he likes.

I personally don't have an inside account of what's going on behind the scenes, but seeing that TT has a good track record, I have faith that he's doing the right thing.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No public jury should be out on Harrell yet. He was injured his last college year, missed a lot of preason work, and he was a rookie DT, which is an historically ineffectual position.

We'll know more this year.

Besides, Jolly was a beast while healthy and I know we all like Cole.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
bigfog said:

The other thing is maybe MM knows something about Harrell we don't. He may be farther along developing than we realize. Plus, we have 2 good DTs coming back from IR who may be 100%. We may be loaded at DT, so Williams was probably expendable.

TT & MM may be looking at a DE in the draft as well that would keep Jenkins inside more, thus making the DT spot even more solid. Or maybe TT found a good DT in the draft that he likes.

I personally don't have an inside account of what's going on behind the scenes, but seeing that TT has a good track record, I have faith that he's doing the right thing.

I don't doubt for a fact that our depth at DT played a role in the trade. I also think Jolley is just as good as Corey Williams when healthy and he's only a 2nd year player. So the upside on him is fairly high right now. Harrell also has talent. Depends if he can put it together.

DE taken in the draft never seem to come in and contribute right away. It's a tough position to play in the NFL and it usually takes a year to adjust. Jevon Kearse and Julius Peppers came in right away but both were high picks. The only other guy I can think of is Mark Anderson from a year ago. Outside of that DE's rarely come in and contribute as rookie. I rather see the Pack acquire a starting caliber DE via trade. Seems like the sports radio here talks about Jason Taylor on a daily basis. I also read the Dolphins are looking into signing a DE which could mean the end for him in Miami.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bigfog said:

In a market with plenty of DTs, no Corey Williams wouldn't be worth more than just a 2nd round pick. But the way I see it, this offseason is pretty thin at DT and with a guy like Corey Williams, I think the Packers could have gotten more. How much more? Who's to say.

That said, a second round pick is a nice trade. But if had been maybe a second and a 5th or 6th rounder, it would have been sweeter.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
bigfog said:

In a market with plenty of DTs, no Corey Williams wouldn't be worth more than just a 2nd round pick. But the way I see it, this offseason is pretty thin at DT and with a guy like Corey Williams, I think the Packers could have gotten more. Case in point - look at how much Oakland paid for a guy who is clearly not as good production-wise as Corey. How much more is Williams worth? Who's to say.

That said, a second round pick is a nice trade. But if had been maybe a second and a 5th or 6th rounder, it would have been sweeter.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know what would've been better?.... 3 first rounders.

joking aside, most player trades that go down don't involve picks higher than 3rd round. so, i'm happy with what we got. of course, i always want more, but a 2nd rounder seems pretty fair to me, and fair for both teams

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
bigfog said:

In a market with plenty of DTs, no Corey Williams wouldn't be worth more than just a 2nd round pick. But the way I see it, this offseason is pretty thin at DT and with a guy like Corey Williams, I think the Packers could have gotten more. How much more? Who's to say.

The Dolphins got a 2nd round pick for Wes Welker last year. The Packers got a 2nd for Javon Walker a former Pro Bowl receiver. Culpepper a former MVP candidate went for a 2nd round pick. Corey Williams is a solid player but he's never done anything in his career to be valued the same as a 1st round pick. Those are bars of golds to most GM's. He's also going to be a 3-4 DE for the Browns. As rare as they are, I don't recall many teams lining up to trade their 1st rounder for that position.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI, Kris Jenkins was just moved from Carolina for a 3rd and a 6th round pick. So, Williams got more in return than Jenkins.

Staff online

Members online