Why not try out Houshmanzadeh?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a fan, I hate when they do it. But I can completely understand it, when they outplay their contract. Not saying it's Revis' case, but take a look at LaMar Woodley. He's scheduled to make 500k this year. he's arguably a top 5 pass rusher, he's making less than Poppinga, and he has all the right to complain. He has complained, but not held out, though. The Steelers, like the Packers, reward their own, so Woodley knows he's gonna get paid. He could be hurt before it though, and get the short end of the stick, when he was a key cog in winning a SB, and generating tons of revenue, which he saw nothing of.

I understand the point, but most contracts usually have signing bonuses or performance escalators attached to them. In the case of Woodley, he received a $1.8M signing bonus before ever taking a snap, so saying the guy is only making $550k this year doesn't tell the complete story. He got paid the majority of his contract up front.

Unfortunately for Woodley, he's a victim of the 30% rule due to the lack of a CBA, otherwise he'd have a new deal already. Here's an article explaining in more detail: On the Steelers: Lamarr Woodley -- The high cost of not doing business

Revis is holding out, because the Jets have brought in a lot of FAs for tons of money. He's way better than them, much more important, and they got paid before he did. That's the problem with bringing FAs.

I agree with you about how the signing of expensive free agents can kill your ability to sign your core personnel, but I thought Revis' holdout was because he wanted to be the highest paid CB in the league. After Rex publicly labeled Revis the best CB in the league, Revis decided he wanted to be paid like it. He took a look at Asomougha's deal, compared it to his and thus began the holdout.

Latest posts