Why not try out Houshmanzadeh?

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't want to be a #5 when he can get immediate playing time in Minnesota, where he wanted to go along with Seattle before.

What's funny is Seattle basically pays the entirety of his contract too if I'm not mistaken (Like $7 million?) Not sure why you just get rid of him for nothing...

OP
OP
FiercePierce6

FiercePierce6

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think after a few weeks of practice and time with A-rod he'd take over the #3 from Nelson. He used to be a top ten receiver, a guy like Rodgers will revamp a guys energy and willingness to put it all on the field. I love Nelson, and I think he'll be good for awhile, but Housh could have a couple real productive years with us.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because:
-He is a jerk that thinks he is way better than he is
-He thinks he craps gold bricks and should be paid that way
-He Runs his mouth too much
-He only looks like a good receiver when a better WR draws defenses away from him
-He is old
-He is uglier than a turd on a sidewalk in august
-He is the type of player that should be on the Vikings rostar

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus Christ.

"Ooohh Ooohh, I've heard of this guy, we should sign him! He *has* to be an upgrade over anyone we have because I've heard his name before, right? Right? Hello? Fellas?"

Seriously, sometimes I wonder if people think before they post, or if they just have diarrhea of the keyboard.

Douchemanzadeh would *NOT* be a good pick up by the Packers. The guy is an ******* for one, and locker room cohesion is important. Besides, what would we do, bump Driver and Jennings down from the #1 and 2 spots? Because that's what Douchemanzadeh would want.

We have 4 pretty good receivers now, and a pretty good tight end to serve as the 5th. We don't need more ball catchers.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
+1 On the whole NO for Douchemandzadeh thing. Yikes. The guy is worthless. You could get the same production/skillset from a much younger/cheaper/humbler free agent than you would that guy. Hell to the no on him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His contract is guaranteed so Seattle will pay the difference between his contract he gets and the 7 million dollars he is owed.

So why wouldn't we sign him? Because he will want a multiple year contract with this year being for a vet minimum. I expect him to sign with Washington

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he'd want a new deal, and he'd be a distraction and locker room cancer until he got it. Plus, it's not like he'd be a major upgrade over guys like Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. He'd be our 3rd string WR, which he doesn't want.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he'd want a new deal, and he'd be a distraction and locker room cancer until he got it. Plus, it's not like he'd be a major upgrade over guys like Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. He'd be our 3rd string WR, which he doesn't want.
I wouldnt want him as a 3rd. I would only want him to return kicks. Over Shields. That is all. If he would sign for Vet min and let SEA give him $$$ WHILE ONLY returning kicks and punts, I would be all about it.

Not Happening. Nor should it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not bring in him?

Because, in a WR depleted team, he was outplayed by Mike Williams. Yes, THAT 240 pounds Mike Williams, that hasn't played in 3 or so years.

AND he's 32 years old.

So...

But I've heard Javon Walker is free again. Maybe we should give him a shot also...

Reaction score
Why are you guys so down on Housh. Also how can you say he has no talent. He played with seattle remember that. Hasselback and senacle wallace was his Qbs. They showed a stat on espn that hes one of the top reciever when it comes to receptions. He doesnt stretch the field vertically he works the middle of the field by getting first downs etc. He would work great as a 2 or a 3 on any other team. We dont need him though

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why try out Houshmanzadeh?

Because there are fans out there who feel the grass is always greener elsewhere, especially if a guy they've actually heard of from another team gets cut.

I know fans want the best team possible, but sometimes we need to look at some of the intangibles first before jumping on the "Why don't we bring this guy in?" train.

For example, those who feel we should open the vault for Revis, a commenter at PFT summed up my feelings pretty well:

trsean says:
September 4, 2010 10:49 PM
A cornerback.

Really.

A cornerback. I still can't believe all this nonsense over a cornerback.

I don't give a **** how good he is, no CORNERBACK is going to decide whether or not a team wins the Superbowl. Yes, I know all the "the defense can do all it can do because of Revis" ********, but no - If your number 1 defense is only the number 1 defense because of ONE player, a cornerback no less, then your defense sucks, and you weren't going anywhere anyway.

What will get the Jets to the Superbowl, Revis or no Revis, will be how the offense plays. The Jets defense is already good enough to field - it's good enough to stop opponents from scoring on every drive - Wanna win the big game? Score ****ing points.

Enough of all this ******** over a friggin cornerback. Quarterback? Okay. What? If the ****** gets injured your season would be over? Then you don't have a team.

RE: TJ, PackersRS said it pretty well too- This guy isn't nearly as talented as he thinks he is. He also has an attitude problem. Remember when he was chastising the Madden guys over his player rating, saying it wasn't high enough? I mean, seriously, you're complaining about a ****ing video game! Plus all the problems he had in Cincy and even last year in Seattle.

He'd also want a contract extension and guarantees he'll be the #1 guy. Not the #2 or #3 guy, but the #1 guy. Well, we already have two #1 guys in Driver and Jennings. Sure, he would be an improvement over Nelson and Jones, but all in all I think bringing him in would be nothing more than a disruption to our WR corps.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are you guys so down on Housh. Also how can you say he has no talent. He played with seattle remember that. Hasselback and senacle wallace was his Qbs. They showed a stat on espn that hes one of the top reciever when it comes to receptions. He doesnt stretch the field vertically he works the middle of the field by getting first downs etc. He would work great as a 2 or a 3 on any other team. We dont need him though

Okay let's get one thing straight, we're not being down on Housh, just saying that we don't need him, as you just said. I'm not saying he isn't talented, but with a 4 deep WR group which does not include our already middle of the field threat Jermichael Finley, I see no way that Housch ever sees the field on our offense.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You answered your own question when you said "We don't need him though."

And he has a bad attitude.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay let's get one thing straight, we're not being down on Housh, just saying that we don't need him, as you just said. I'm not saying he isn't talented, but with a 4 deep WR group which does not include our already middle of the field threat Jermichael Finley, I see no way that Housch ever sees the field on our offense.

I'm being down on Housh. I think he's an ******* and doesn't add much value to an already loaded position.

Reaction score

You might not ripping on him but other people surely are.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because there are fans out there who feel the grass is always greener elsewhere, especially if a guy they've actually heard of from another team gets cut.

I know fans want the best team possible, but sometimes we need to look at some of the intangibles first before jumping on the "Why don't we bring this guy in?" train.

For example, those who feel we should open the vault for Revis, a commenter at PFT summed up my feelings pretty well:

RE: TJ, PackersRS said it pretty well too- This guy isn't nearly as talented as he thinks he is. He also has an attitude problem. Remember when he was chastising the Madden guys over his player rating, saying it wasn't high enough? I mean, seriously, you're complaining about a ****ing video game! Plus all the problems he had in Cincy and even last year in Seattle.

He'd also want a contract extension and guarantees he'll be the #1 guy. Not the #2 or #3 guy, but the #1 guy. Well, we already have two #1 guys in Driver and Jennings. Sure, he would be an improvement over Nelson and Jones, but all in all I think bringing him in would be nothing more than a disruption to our WR corps.

I think I have heard 90% of nfl players complain about about their Madden ratings. Where is the attitude problem? Because he wants to look out for himself and get paid? Its a job, not a club team. He could get hurt tomorrow, so he asks to be paid like the team refers to him as, the best defensive player in the league (I disagree but most of the staff has called him that). You think the team will take care of him if he blows out his knee in his prime before he gets paid big money? No. He he been on ESPN or his agent on tv talking about how he deserves all the money he wants? Nope. He is holed up in his small PA town and has not spoken to the media. I have a problem when players use the media to mess with the situation but the way Revis is doing it is professional.

Revis is a beast and adding him to our D would be epic. It wont happen for about a million reasons but I would give a 1 and a 2 in a heart beat if I was Ted.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I have heard 90% of nfl players complain about about their Madden ratings. Where is the attitude problem? Because he wants to look out for himself and get paid? Its a job, not a club team. He could get hurt tomorrow, so he asks to be paid like the team refers to him as, the best defensive player in the league (I disagree but most of the staff has called him that). You think the team will take care of him if he blows out his knee in his prime before he gets paid big money? No. He he been on ESPN or his agent on tv talking about how he deserves all the money he wants? Nope. He is holed up in his small PA town and has not spoken to the media. I have a problem when players use the media to mess with the situation but the way Revis is doing it is professional.

Revis is a beast and adding him to our D would be epic. It wont happen for about a million reasons but I would give a 1 and a 2 in a heart beat if I was Ted.

I'm not sure what whining about one's madden rating has to do with "getting paid" but it was Housh whimpering about it, not Revis. In fact, I remember Housh making a production out of how he felt slighted that his rating wasn't higher. To me that screamed instant diva, and to date, I've *never* heard of another player publicly complaining about their Madden rating.

As for Revis, I have no problem with someone wanting to get paid, but this "They could get injured and then have nothing" argument is bogus. These guys know full well the risks of playing professional football. No one forces them to play, so if they're that concerned about injuries, perhaps they should choose another line of work. Besides, most contracts include some kind of guaranteed money to be paid regardless of whether the player plays or not. He signed a 6 year, $30M contract with 11 guaranteed. So if he blew out his knee in his rookie year and couldn't play ever again in his life, he'd still get $11 M. I imagine his next contract will also feature guaranteed money.

And it's not his team's job to take care of him if he blows out a knee. He earns a salary, it's his job to plan accordingly. Take out an insurance policy if need be. Plenty of players do it. Otherwise, save some of those guaranteed millions you're making.

The other thing that bugs me about Revis is this is his second holdout. He held out before initially signing his rookie deal and is now holding out half way through his rookie contract? Why would I want a guy like that on my team? So he could just hold out when someone else inevitably makes more? No thanks.

Another thing that makes me not like Revis is his sense of entitlement. What, because his coach said he was the best in the game automatically means he deserves to be paid like it? Sorry, but opinions are subjective. I'm sure there are people who think Woodson is the best in the game, while some think Asomougha is the best. Besides, Nnamdi Asomougha didn't get paid those kinds of dollars until AFTER his initial contract was played out. He played through his contract first and got the dollars second.

While I don't think a CB is worth those kinds of dollars, I have no problem if a team wants to pay it. But honor your friggin agreements when you make them.

As for giving up a 1 and a 2, I think that's way too much for most anyone, but then again I'm a fan of the build through the draft philosophy. The only way I would be willing to give up that much in compensation is if we had a glaring need at a very important position. We just don't have that need at the DB position.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what whining about one's madden rating has to do with "getting paid" but it was Housh whimpering about it, not Revis. In fact, I remember Housh making a production out of how he felt slighted that his rating wasn't higher. To me that screamed instant diva, and to date, I've *never* heard of another player publicly complaining about their Madden rating.

As for Revis, I have no problem with someone wanting to get paid, but this "They could get injured and then have nothing" argument is bogus. These guys know full well the risks of playing professional football. No one forces them to play, so if they're that concerned about injuries, perhaps they should choose another line of work. Besides, most contracts include some kind of guaranteed money to be paid regardless of whether the player plays or not. He signed a 6 year, $30M contract with 11 guaranteed. So if he blew out his knee in his rookie year and couldn't play ever again in his life, he'd still get $11 M. I imagine his next contract will also feature guaranteed money.

And it's not his team's job to take care of him if he blows out a knee. He earns a salary, it's his job to plan accordingly. Take out an insurance policy if need be. Plenty of players do it. Otherwise, save some of those guaranteed millions you're making.

The other thing that bugs me about Revis is this is his second holdout. He held out before initially signing his rookie deal and is now holding out half way through his rookie contract? Why would I want a guy like that on my team? So he could just hold out when someone else inevitably makes more? No thanks.

Another thing that makes me not like Revis is his sense of entitlement. What, because his coach said he was the best in the game automatically means he deserves to be paid like it? Sorry, but opinions are subjective. I'm sure there are people who think Woodson is the best in the game, while some think Asomougha is the best. Besides, Nnamdi Asomougha didn't get paid those kinds of dollars until AFTER his initial contract was played out. He played through his contract first and got the dollars second.

While I don't think a CB is worth those kinds of dollars, I have no problem if a team wants to pay it. But honor your friggin agreements when you make them.

As for giving up a 1 and a 2, I think that's way too much for most anyone, but then again I'm a fan of the build through the draft philosophy. The only way I would be willing to give up that much in compensation is if we had a glaring need at a very important position. We just don't have that need at the DB position.

How is it holding out if its before signing your contract? So he should be forced to sign a contract and honor that contract? Cant have it both ways. Its a rookie contract, I think everyone agrees the system is broken. If a team can part ways with a bad draft pick a player should be able to part ways with a bad contract in my opinion. Its not like teams honor the contract length all the time.

Your right, no one is forcing him to play, thus the hold out.

Glaring need at a very important position? Yeah because we didnt get absolutely torched in the Playoffs 8 months ago.

Lets be honest, Woodson is getting old and Harris is done (I will take that back if he ever has a healthy season again). We have no long term replacement on the roster, and we could structure the contract to be heavy this year and heavy after woodsons contract is up.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is it holding out if its before signing your contract? So he should be forced to sign a contract and honor that contract? Cant have it both ways. Its a rookie contract, I think everyone agrees the system is broken. If a team can part ways with a bad draft pick a player should be able to part ways with a bad contract in my opinion. Its not like teams honor the contract length all the time.

Your right, no one is forcing him to play, thus the hold out.

Glaring need at a very important position? Yeah because we didnt get absolutely torched in the Playoffs 8 months ago.

Lets be honest, Woodson is getting old and Harris is done (I will take that back if he ever has a healthy season again). We have no long term replacement on the roster, and we could structure the contract to be heavy this year and heavy after woodsons contract is up.

/sigh

You're a hold out when you're, you know, holding out for more. Doesn't matter if you're under contract or not, if you're missing valuable time because you're holding out for more money, you're a friggin holdout.

And I disagree with the "bad contract" bit. Sorry, but if a player under performs, the team has the right to cut him, just like any company can fire an employee who isn't meeting expectations. He'll still get his guaranteed money, but the team shouldn't be obligated to keep a guy that can't meet performance expectations.

On the flip side, if a player out performs his contract, he'll have leverage to make up for it on the next contract. And lets be honest, you don't gain any more leverage than having a track record of elite performance. Plus he'll hit every dime of the full value of the original contract by performing well. So Revis would be able to hit all $30 Million of his first contract should he perform well. And then he'll be able to re-negotiate a new deal worth much more than the original deal.

And while I understand our secondary got torched in the last game we played, I truly don't believe that's going to happen again this year. We got torched for a number of reasons, some of which was due to just plain inexperience. We're now in the second year of a new defense, our DB's have a bit more experience, and Capers has spent a considerable amount of time watching game film and creating ways to prevent games like Pittsburgh and Arizona from happening. Not to mention the killer pass rush I'm confident we're gonna have.

So lets stop with the doom and gloom and start getting excited. Our road to the Super Bowl starts this Sunday, and I have a feeling many Packer fans panicking are going to be pleasantly surprised.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
/sigh

You're a hold out when you're, you know, holding out for more. Doesn't matter if you're under contract or not, if you're missing valuable time because you're holding out for more money, you're a friggin holdout.

And I disagree with the "bad contract" bit. Sorry, but if a player under performs, the team has the right to cut him, just like any company can fire an employee who isn't meeting expectations. He'll still get his guaranteed money, but the team shouldn't be obligated to keep a guy that can't meet performance expectations.

On the flip side, if a player out performs his contract, he'll have leverage to make up for it on the next contract. And lets be honest, you don't gain any more leverage than having a track record of elite performance. Plus he'll hit every dime of the full value of the original contract by performing well. So Revis would be able to hit all $30 Million of his first contract should he perform well. And then he'll be able to re-negotiate a new deal worth much more than the original deal.

And while I understand our secondary got torched in the last game we played, I truly don't believe that's going to happen again this year. We got torched for a number of reasons, some of which was due to just plain inexperience. We're now in the second year of a new defense, our DB's have a bit more experience, and Capers has spent a considerable amount of time watching game film and creating ways to prevent games like Pittsburgh and Arizona from happening. Not to mention the killer pass rush I'm confident we're gonna have.

So lets stop with the doom and gloom and start getting excited. Our road to the Super Bowl starts this Sunday, and I have a feeling many Packer fans panicking are going to be pleasantly surprised.
Your analogy is good, but the franchise tag kills it. A company can't "tag" an employee.

Players have no leverage, really, outside the holdout. Like IVO said, the system is broke, specially with rookies.

As a fan, I hate when they do it. But I can completely understand it, when they outplay their contract. Not saying it's Revis' case, but take a look at LaMar Woodley. He's scheduled to make 500k this year. he's arguably a top 5 pass rusher, he's making less than Poppinga, and he has all the right to complain. He has complained, but not held out, though. The Steelers, like the Packers, reward their own, so Woodley knows he's gonna get paid. He could be hurt before it though, and get the short end of the stick, when he was a key cog in winning a SB, and generating tons of revenue, which he saw nothing of.

Revis is holding out, because the Jets have brought in a lot of FAs for tons of money. He's way better than them, much more important, and they got paid before he did. That's the problem with bringing FAs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts