Why have the Packers abandoned the run?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
you guys are silly. did you watch how the Patriots dissected the Chargers? The same way we did it. Our running game was actually there when we wanted it today, but our focus was the passing game. We have 3 great receivers, and San Diego runs a 3-4 defense. Does anybody know why a team runs a 3-4 defense? To take away the running game! So, we aired it out. And did anybody see how lights-out our offensive line played? THAT was awesome.

Yeah, I was very impressed with the O-Line. Merriman was completely shut down. Same with Luis Castillo. Very impressive.

On HBO's inside the NFL, Collinsworth said he just didn't know how the Packers were going to get Merriman blocked. I sure hope he comes back this week and commends Taush and Clifton, but I'm not holding my breath.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes it is. My dad deserves to see that record broken. He's not even from Wisconsin and he's been a Packer fan since he was a kid. I'm really pulling for it to happen against the Vikes.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
yes it is. My dad deserves to see that record broken. He's not even from Wisconsin and he's been a Packer fan since he was a kid. I'm really pulling for it to happen against the Vikes.

Barring an injury, he will break it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I found this interesting and I think this ends this thread.

The Packers haven’t had a rushing game this season, and conceded as much against the Chargers’ strong front seven by trying passes on 48 plays (45 attempts, two sacks, one Favre scramble) and running only 13 times. That pass-to-run ratio of almost 4-1 usually is sign of a disaster, but the Packers wanted to spread out the Chargers’ 3-4 defense so outside linebackers Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips couldn’t always crowd the line, as New England did in its blowout of San Diego last week

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HILARIOUS stuff here from packersnews.com. This was published before today's game. Yep, the key is to establish the running game:

McCarthy said there are two types of 3-4's, which is so named because it features three down linemen and four linebackers, as opposed to the traditional 4-3, with four down linemen and three linebackers. McCarthy likened the type of 3-4 the Chargers play to what the Packers saw against the Patriots and Jets last season, and neither of those games went well.

The Packers scored just 10 points total in those two games and suffered blowout losses at home. The key is to be able to establish a running game because if the offense becomes too reliant on the pass, it's playing right into the hands of a 3-4.

"It's really built to take away the run and try to get you in a one-dimensional game of passing," McCarthy said. "But it's just like any defense. It has its strengths, and in my opinion you need to attack it, and also you need to try to create situations, angles, however you want to view it, to give you a better opportunity running the football."

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In bringing up the abondoned running game, I am speaking more broadly, not just the Chargers game. All 3 games the run has been pathetic. You can't tell me that they have been game planning to pass hardcore all 3 games.

What I fear is that this is a one-dimensional team and when the Packers play someone with a lights-out secondary they'll get their ***** handed to them.

Yes, I am happy they won and recognize that they did, but can they sustain this pass happy attack week after week? Eventually someone is going to have their number and won't have the run to bail them out based on what I've seen so far.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what i see is progression each week. week 2 was better than week 1, and week 3 was better than week 2. I'm happy with our progression. We NEED to keep progressing if we hope to be a real playoff team.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Barring an injury, he will break it.

Urgh! For the love of God, knock on wood or something!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In bringing up the abondoned running game, I am speaking more broadly, not just the Chargers game. All 3 games the run has been pathetic. You can't tell me that they have been game planning to pass hardcore all 3 games.

What I fear is that this is a one-dimensional team and when the Packers play someone with a lights-out secondary they'll get their ***** handed to them.

Yes, I am happy they won and recognize that they did, but can they sustain this pass happy attack week after week? Eventually someone is going to have their number and won't have the run to bail them out based on what I've seen so far.

Point taken. But it's a subject that can better be discussed later in the week, in the cool light of reason. Right now everyone is just happy that they won, and most people agree that the pass-happy game plan was perfect, except for that empty backfield on fourth and inches at the goal line.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet Merriman wasn't very "Merry" after the game!
Hey, if a D is that good against the pass, they STILL have to beat it. How many times in the past have teams that had good pass D, STILL not stop Favre? And look what kinds of weapons he has to throw to now! Driver, Jennings, Jones, Bubba, Lee...........Favre must be drooling over his receiving corp right now. And i really think in this case, the pass will open up the run later. If a D expects passes, I bet we can gash them on some runs at that time.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THis is a valid concern and a valid conversation. It is downright scary to see a team pass on (almost) every down. Favre did it with precision, and the gameplan worked. But it is a high risk-reward. It often means forcing passes into tight coverage and giving up turnovers.

Look at how close this game was. Just one interception could have swung it for the Chargers.

It is awesome that we won. We are 3-0!! It's great. But I do hope the coaches are bit bothered that we couldn't get the ball in on four tries at the goal line. And didn't even try to do it on the ground at 4th and inches - I think a QB keeper would have worked great, but I guess they saw something I didn't.

I won't second guess them to death, especially after a fabulous win, but I agree that we will need to establish a run game sooner rather than later. It is absolutely essential. Teams like the Colts, Patriots, etc. would pick us apart. Let's try to be perfect! ;) Just like our 3-0 record.

Great win, way to go pack.

I did it playing sandlot ball as a kid and I did pretty well..... :p

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank God, they have abandoned the run for right now. A short passing game makes up a lot for a running game. As I've mentioned here before, the 49ers won their first Super Bowl with not much of a running game.

I do think, however, the running game will improve as the season progresses.

Exactly!

The Packers running game will get more considerable as the season progresses.

right now, the screen pass, the quick slants and the flare passes have rplaced the run as a run-substitute.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The gameplan he came up with worked. It looked to me like when they did run the opportunity was there but why go away from what you are doing if it works?

Now that teams see that the Packers cannot necessarily be beaten by making them one-dimensional it will require an emphasis on the opponents part to come up with a way to stop our passing game.

That's when you will see us run it more.

BUT. If the opposing team stubbornly stays with 7 or 8 guys up close like San Diego did we can just merrily go on our way and WHIP THEIR ***.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These young guys don't understand the theory behind the zone blocking scheme. The idea is to cut back and they don't do that. None of them are fast enough to hit the crease. The opening is never there very long but there are openings.

That cant be true because we "drafted Brandon Jackson specifically for his experience in the zbs at Nebraska" or so i thought

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way i see it.........in the past, some of our coaches would stick with the run, even if it wasn't working, and we would lose.
I'm glad to see a coach that goes with whats working.
It has lead to 3-0

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"We have to do what we feel is in our best interest to move the ball and score points," Philbin said. "Tuesday afternoon, you're not drawing up an 80-percent pass, 20-percent run game plan, typically. But when you win a game, you don't really give a (expletive)."

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its a little concerning, but it might work out that the amount of passing we have done so far, and the record dangling in front of favre's eyes - teams will have forgotten about the run. I look for the run game to get better over the next week or 2, although Minn. has a good run D.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts