Why have the Packers abandoned the run?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lack of running game is a concern, but the pass-oriented offense today had much more to do with how good the passing game is than how bad the running game is. They will not be this pass-happy all season.

I've seen the Patriots do this at times. It's called taking what the defense gives you.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These young guys don't understand the theory behind the zone blocking scheme. The idea is to cut back and they don't do that. None of them are fast enough to hit the crease. The opening is never there very long but there are openings.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.......i don't care HOW they get the yards or the win.
The fact is, they GOT it, so why complain? The run game might come around, but if it's NOT working, and the pass is, then PASS!!!

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The lack of running game is a concern, but the pass-oriented offense today had much more to do with how good the passing game is than how bad the running game is. They will not be this pass-happy all season.

I've seen the Patriots do this at times. It's called taking what the defense gives you.

I agree exactly. The one play that baffled me was the empty back field pass on fourth and inches. That when we need to give the ball to Wynn or B-Jack who have both proven to be good goal line backs.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree i would have run on that 4th an inches... but the chargers would have thought that too... so who knows if it was the right call.

the fact is ... NE torched the san diego secondary last week ... so why wouldnt we try and go all pass too ... short passes have become our running game and there is nothin wrong with that at all really.

i too would like to see us pound it a little especially on the goal line... but 3-0 is 3-0.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that bothered me is that our goal line running game has been great so far this season. You have to at least have one back back there so the defensive will respect the run a little. I also thought Brett could have ran to the left and taken it to pay dirt. I wanted to see another Brett Favre Lambeau Leap.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These young guys don't understand the theory behind the zone blocking scheme. The idea is to cut back and they don't do that. None of them are fast enough to hit the crease. The opening is never there very long but there are openings.

Playing RB in a zone blocking scheme is not rocket science. These players were brought to Green Bay specifically because they have the knack for running in this kind of offense. I just don't see any openings when they get the ball. So I don't agree with your point, but I would love to see Vernand Morency come back next week and prove you right.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They haven't "abandoned" the run. They're gameplanning to WIN. That means that they'll exploit the other team's weakness. San Diego's run defense is EXCELLENT. Their pass defense is not. There ya go.

GO PACKERS!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the case of today's game, I think they gameplanned to throw the ball. They didn't even try to run that much and that's because San Diego's secondary is the weakest point of their team.

Next week I look for the same thing because Minnesota has had problems defending the pass.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THis is a valid concern and a valid conversation. It is downright scary to see a team pass on (almost) every down. Favre did it with precision, and the gameplan worked. But it is a high risk-reward. It often means forcing passes into tight coverage and giving up turnovers.

Look at how close this game was. Just one interception could have swung it for the Chargers.

It is awesome that we won. We are 3-0!! It's great. But I do hope the coaches are bit bothered that we couldn't get the ball in on four tries at the goal line. And didn't even try to do it on the ground at 4th and inches - I think a QB keeper would have worked great, but I guess they saw something I didn't.

I won't second guess them to death, especially after a fabulous win, but I agree that we will need to establish a run game sooner rather than later. It is absolutely essential. Teams like the Colts, Patriots, etc. would pick us apart. Let's try to be perfect! ;) Just like our 3-0 record.

Great win, way to go pack.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They haven't "abandoned" the run. They're gameplanning to WIN. That means that they'll exploit the other team's weakness. San Diego's run defense is EXCELLENT. Their pass defense is not. There ya go.

GO PACKERS!

The 4th down play have people going WTF??? I think alot of people are thinking that..but all in all I think like Ev is saying S/D pass D isnt that good, and the results showed in a WIN..

Stop whinning over why they arent running, they are winning

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank God, they have abandoned the run for right now. A short passing game makes up a lot for a running game. As I've mentioned here before, the 49ers won their first Super Bowl with not much of a running game.

I do think, however, the running game will improve as the season progresses.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I agree exactly. The one play that baffled me was the empty back field pass on fourth and inches. That when we need to give the ball to Wynn or B-Jack who have both proven to be good goal line backs.
That i didn't understand either.......at least have a back in there to make them think you MIGHT run it. Plus, i WOULD have run it there.
But thats just me! :D

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
millertime said:
Greg C. said:

That i didn't understand either.......at least have a back in there to make them think you MIGHT run it. Plus, i WOULD have run it there.
But thats just me! :D

Or toss it out in the flat, recall how Henderson would be a safety valve sometime slike that?>

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you guys are silly. did you watch how the Patriots dissected the Chargers? The same way we did it. Our running game was actually there when we wanted it today, but our focus was the passing game. We have 3 great receivers, and San Diego runs a 3-4 defense. Does anybody know why a team runs a 3-4 defense? To take away the running game! So, we aired it out. And did anybody see how lights-out our offensive line played? THAT was awesome.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
you guys are silly. did you watch how the Patriots dissected the Chargers? The same way we did it. Our running game was actually there when we wanted it today, but our focus was the passing game. We have 3 great receivers, and San Diego runs a 3-4 defense. Does anybody know why a team runs a 3-4 defense? To take away the running game! So, we aired it out. And did anybody see how lights-out our offensive line played? THAT was awesome.

Hence why I said stop whinning over the no running game..We are WINNING!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

:new:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:

:new:

Welcome newbie LOL

hubbabubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Yeah, I was very impressed with the O-Line. Merriman was completely shut down. Same with Luis Castillo. Very impressive.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I agree. I think our running game will be used more when we play against a team that has a crappy run defense and our passing game will be used more when we play against a team with a crappy pass defense. Or something like that.

MM is taking what the defense is giving him. Driver, Jennings, and Jones were mismatches against the Chargers secondary. So we passed all day long.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts