Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Brett Swain may be worse than whoever is the 5th wr this season. The 4 ahead of him were way better than the 4 ahead of whoever the number 5 is gonna be in 2021. So I don't really understand your depth argument as I take depth to include the entire group as a whole...

Further ruevell Martin, the 5 in 2008 was a lazard type and just as good as lazard. And the 5 in 2011 and 2012 was Cobb don't think there's an argument there for the 5 this season being better than Cobb in year 1 and 2

I do agree that wr group this season should be good enough to win the SB with Aaron Rodgers at qb

I was only saying this group easily is one of the deepest WR rooms he has had, not the best, but one of the deepest. I have two other years arguably better depth wise when Aaron has been starter.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was only saying this group easily is one of the deepest WR rooms he has had, not the best, but one of the deepest. I have two other years arguably better depth wise when Aaron has been starter.

Which two? Cuz I don't think 2011 and 2012 even arguable...I think those hands down better and deeper wr groups...I'll say this group is top 5 and could be higher depending on Amari Rodgers

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which two? Cuz I don't think 2011 and 2012 even arguable...I think those hands down better and deeper wr groups...I'll say this group is top 5 and could be higher depending on Amari Rodgers

Those were the two that jumped to my mind that for sure keep me from saying deepest and just one of. I think 08' is worthy of discussion despite the fact many were unproven that year yet, but skill was there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Keep an eye on #88, WR Juwann Winfree. Sounds like he is raising some eyebrows in camp. I think him, ESB, Funchess and Taylor will be battling for the #6 spot.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winfree has been consistently making plays all along. Funchess in a live oddly seemed pretty secure in thinking he was making the team - not 100% sure on that but I do think Winfree could be stashed on our PS again for one more year. My gut tells me Winfree and Taylor are PS, Funchess makes cut and EQ is cut out of those 4. I think Reggie Begelton might hang on as well to a practice squad spot. Next year is the big chance year for a lot of guys given contracts

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep an eye on #88, WR Juwann Winfree. Sounds like he is raising some eyebrows in camp. I think him, ESB, Funchess and Taylor will be battling for the #6 spot.

Sounds like Winfrees got it...apparently his releases are something to behold, quick af

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the key for Winfree is if he illustrates the release packages to slide everywhere he will fit that depth role better than Funchess. Don't get me wrong Funchess from what folks are saying is a pro, but I see him as a possession/jump ball type WR - not a versatile all over threat. I am loving our #5, but especially #6 battle going on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Funchess is somewhat behind the 8 ball in making the team. First, he hasn't played since the first game of the 2019 season. Second, his salary. While after his guarantees, it is probably only around double what Winfree and Taylor are due to make, its a consideration. Probably the biggest strike against Funchess is the fact that he has had very little time in the Packer Offense. Not sure how much he did during his Covid Opt out period to study the offense, but he still had never worked with the offense until this year. Meanwhile, this is ESB's 4th year working with Rodgers and the offense. This is Taylor's 3rd year and Winfree was signed last October and saw limited playing time.

I still really like Funchess, but he has his work cutout for him to just make the team and to maybe prove why he was a high second round pick way back in 2014.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would imagine the Winfree/Love connection will determine his fate once preseason starts. If he performs at a high level the FO will be looking for Love guys to stick around. The last two WR spots will be a dog fight.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funchess has one big thing on his side...Aaron Rodgers but he's at best what the #5. They could keep 7 I suppose

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it comes down to Rodgers connects with Funchess more and Love connects with Winfree more....my bet is Winfree will be plugged on PS. I don't think we keep 7 at all, and I don't think FO let's Funchess walk if Rodgers likes him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Funchess has one big thing on his side...Aaron Rodgers but he's at best what the #5. They could keep 7 I suppose

Does Rodgers like Funchess more than the other guys? I would think they all have AR on their side so to speak. ;)

I doubt they keep 7 with how MLF likes to use TE's. Also, lets face it, probably 2-3 of those guys you would put in the 7th spot, will safely make it to the PS.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it comes down to Rodgers connects with Funchess more and Love connects with Winfree more....my bet is Winfree will be plugged on PS. I don't think we keep 7 at all, and I don't think FO let's Funchess walk if Rodgers likes him.

I think Rodgers wanted funchess before last season but now it seems Cobb may have taken Funchess spot on roster...because as the #5 or #6 you kinda gotta play special teams...I don't think they keep 7 either but they have at least once in recent past. And I kinda think that may be the only way funchess gets a spot. Unless they think they can for sure get Winfree to the PS but they've been burned on that one before

Does Rodgers like Funchess more than the other guys? I would think they all have AR on their side so to speak. ;)

I doubt they keep 7 with how MLF likes to use TE's. Also, lets face it, probably 2-3 of those guys you would put in the 7th spot, will safely make it to the PS.

Idk if he likes him more than winfree but I think he likes him more than eq and taylor

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk if he likes him more than winfree but I think he likes him more than eq and taylor

Rodgers has in the past gone almost out of his way in interviews to bring up EQ - I think he really likes the young guy. I however don't think he makes it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has in the past gone almost out of his way in interviews to bring up EQ - I think he really likes the young guy. I however don't think he makes it.

I just think Rodgers likes veterans better...he may have praised eq but since then eq has had chances to make plays and he really has not made the best of those chances. And I haven't heard Rodgers praise him after that...

He has an intriguing combo of size and speed but just doesn't seem to have "it" Now things could click for him in year 4 but so far I don't see it

I could see him ending up on practice squad as I don't think anyone gonna want him on their 53

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It will be especially interesting what Gute does with WR's and TE's, especially given Rodgers latest comments and more specifically the Kumerow cut last season. I liked Jake, but come on Aaron, he went to Buffalo and did very little. Maybe Aaron will have some say on the 5th and 6th guys kept at WR or that 4th guy at TE. IF that is the case, all of the bubble boys better start kissing #12's backside, if they already haven't.

Another factor and some of you have alluded to it, next season and beyond. If the Packers view Love as the QB in 2022, then a guy he jells with might stick. Injuries will also play a big role as well.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It will be especially interesting what Gute does with WR's and TE's, especially given Rodgers latest comments and more specifically the Kumerow cut last season. I liked Jake, but come on Aaron, he went to Buffalo and did very little. Maybe Aaron will have some say on the 5th and 6th guys kept at WR or that 4th guy at TE. IF that is the case, all of the bubble boys better start kissing #12's backside, if they already haven't.

Another factor and some of you have alluded to it, next season and beyond. If the Packers view Love as the QB in 2022, then a guy he jells with might stick. Injuries will also play a big role as well.
None of this is directed towards you, more of a general statement.....

It's really simple. Just let Rodgers speak his peace on the matter. Include him in the conversation. And at the end of the day, if you have to say "look Aaron we understand your thoughts on said player, and we appreciate your input, but we're going with 'x' guy and this is why". It doesn't give him a 'say', it just gives him what he's always wanted...a seat at the table and welcomed input.

It's really not that hard to accommodate a superstar player like Rodgers. The Packers just make it way harder than what it needs to be.

As it relates to the WR depth chart, it's definitely starting to feel like Cobb will take the place of Funchess as the veteran guy on the roster.

At this point, I'd probably go with:

Davante
Cobb
Lazard
MVS
Amari

Those guys are absolute shoe-ins. And I also tend to lean toward your theory of only keeping 6 on the roster.

If that's the case, it really just depends on how the Packers view the value of the 6th spot. If they think Winfree is absolutely killing it and don't want to risk losing him to another team, I think he makes it. But if they were looking for a solid, steady vet to help win a Super Bowl, they go with Funchess (provided he's had a good camp and is making plays).

The odd men out at this point I believe are EQ, Taylor, and the rest. And it's unfortunate because I really do like EQ. I think given more time and opportunity he could be a nice player, but there's just not enough spots.

Given what we've been reading though about Winfree, it could be a lightening in a bottle situation especially with him being able to learn under Davante.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Out of the 3 WR's that Gute drafted in 2018, I liked EQ the best. Really thought he was going to surprise a lot of people due to what I read about his work ethic, IQ and motivation. Injuries definitely haven't helped him, but I think if he can't prove himself this preseason, year 4, it will be time to move on from him. Even if he does make the team, I just don't see him getting many snaps, unless injuries allow it. Guessing out of the bubble guys, Funchess is the one that won't make it (or eligible?) to the PS, whereas the other ones will. Might be the reason they keep him.

It is also worth noting that of all the "WR bubble boys", Taylor by far had the most snaps on both offense and special teams last season. That alone wont secure him a roster spot, but it helps.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ's chance was last year given Funchess out and Lazard injury....just terrible timing for him to have issues as well. EQ is one of the smartest guys all my ND friends tell me and work ethic for days - I sense he won't work out here, but I have a feeling he will secure a 53 spot somewhere in the NFL eventually.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winfree did have a RAS of just over 7.00 - quick twitch with sufficient speed - the biggest thing it appears from all accounts that set up his success is his breaks/route running. That's the kind of stuff that will keep a team not wanting to watch you become available....

D

Deleted member 6794

Again though, then stop attempting to counter argue a point that isn't even been made - its' just not necessary is all I'm saying. When injuries arise, if they should, that depth becomes arguably more crucial atm then the top shelf abilities of the position. I pray it is not needed though.

I don't think the depth of the wide receiving group you're referring to is any better than it was early during Rodgers' career either. The Packers have most likely the best receiver in football on the roster but other than that no other one that would have been the second option for several of #12's seasons as the starter.

As a side note for all of you wondering about practice squad eligibility. Teams will be allowed to have six veterans on the practice squad this year once again.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let the record show despite what many of you argued with me saying this is one of the deepest WR rooms, Davante said it is the deepest WR room he has been part of.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let the record show despite what many of you argued with me saying this is one of the deepest WR rooms, Davante said it is the deepest WR room he has been part of.

Easy to say about your current team especially in a last dance scenario...but it's definitely gonna be a fun group to watch they are certainly good enough to win it all...which doesn't mean I wouldn't still add a guy if the right opportunity came up

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy to say about your current team especially in a last dance scenario...but it's definitely gonna be a fun group to watch they are certainly good enough to win it all...which doesn't mean I wouldn't still add a guy if the right opportunity came up
At the moment, I think Cobb and Taylor can be upgraded if the proper player is available. Rodgers, Lazard, and MVS will be given time as none have reached their ceiling yet. Adams is a break the bank to keep player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts