What has happened to this franchise

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf stuck around for two years after Holmy left. If both these guys knew that, Holmgren may have stayed, but it's hard to turn down Paul Allen type money that was being thrown at Holmgren.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
pyledriver80 said:
Can you please describe who the "plenty" was. I mean are we talking about Bill Schroeder?
I'm talking about a good to great o-line, with a solid running game that Favre had.

This is the crux of the problem here...

Favre was not given "plenty"...especially concerning the WR position....

I think that Sherman's biggest gaff (and there were many) was drafting 2 first round rookie receivers at the same time (Ferguson and Walker), and not going after the talented, veteran FA wide receivers that were available...(and don't say Terry Glenn..because they drafted him..but didn't know how to use him..and almost got him killed..!).

The only consistant talent that Favre had in all that time was DRIVER..and he's good..but not a superstar...Favre had the likes of Schroeder, Freeman (on the downside), and Chatman, along with two developing rookies (Ferguson and Walker)...Hardly a stellar or seasoned cast....yet he still got them to the playoffs year after year...

Just once..I would have liked to have seen Favre have a superstar or two in the receiving corps....THAT is what would have guaranteed a SB..!!

(But Sherrossley was too consumed with churning up rushing yards between the 20's...and not scoring in the red zone....Not to mention not even giving the defense a second thought during his tenure...)

..and it looks like TT is going to fall into the same pattern....not playing or GM'ing to your teams strength...your HOF QB--Brett Favre..!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
DakotaT said:
pyledriver80 said:
Can you please describe who the "plenty" was. I mean are we talking about Bill Schroeder?
I'm talking about a good to great o-line, with a solid running game that Favre had.

This is the crux of the problem here...

Favre was not given "plenty"...especially concerning the WR position....

I think that Sherman's biggest gaff (and there were many) was drafting 2 first round rookie receivers at the same time (Ferguson and Walker), and not going after the talented, veteran FA wide receivers that were available...(and don't say Terry Glenn..because they drafted him..but didn't know how to use him..and almost got him killed..!).

The only consistant talent that Favre had in all that time was DRIVER..and he's good..but not a superstar...Favre had the likes of Schroeder, Freeman (on the downside), and Chatman, along with two developing rookies (Ferguson and Walker)...Hardly a stellar or seasoned cast....yet he still got them to the playoffs year after year...

Just once..I would have liked to have seen Favre have a superstar or two in the receiving corps....THAT is what would have guaranteed a SB..!!

(But Sherrossley was too consumed with churning up rushing yards between the 20's...and not scoring in the red zone....Not to mention not even giving the defense a second thought during his tenure...)

..and it looks like TT is going to fall into the same pattern....not playing or GM'ing to your teams strength...your HOF QB--Brett Favre..!

While I don't necesarily disagree with your premise, please be accurate when turning a thread into a sherman bashfest :wink:

Sherman did not "draft two first round rookie receivers at the same time". Ferguson was a second round pick.

Sherman did NOT draft Terry Glenn. He was drafted by the Patriots. I believe Green Bay got him in a trade for a mid to high draft pick.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Pack66, There were to many years with not enough talent on the roster.

Sadly, there is not enough out there at this point in time to get the Pack back to the SB, this late in his career.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..

Well..i know the Pack didn't "draft" Glenn...(they signed him)...just didn't proof-read it...

..and first round or second round..i think you get my point...

(they were both "developing" NFL rookies at the same time..!)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Yeah..

Well..i know the Pack didn't "draft" Glenn...(they signed him)...just didn't proof-read it...

..and first round or second round..i think you get my point...

(they were both "developing" NFL rookies at the same time..!)

SORRY SORRY SORRY....My bad. I never should have brought facts into a well-timed Sherman rant :lol: :lol:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah DePack, You can twist and turn things but in the end FACTS are all you got.

You can hate the guy, think hewas awful, whatever, but inthe end his record looks pretty good overall.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, the team that lost 4th and 26 was good enough to go to the super bowl. Yeah, Walker, Fergy, and Driver were developing back then but they were making the plays. We lead the league in rushing also! If that isn't plenty, I don't know what is.

I trace the demise of the Packers to that game because it broke our spirit. If I'm Bob Harlan, I walk down on the field and fire Sherman on the spot because the outcome of that game is unacceptable to me and many Packer fans. Living out here in North Dakota, I had the pleasure of watching the Viking fans reaction to their team going 15-1 and blowing the NFC championship game at home. After 4th and 26, I knew how they felt. Many, many Viking fans wanted Green hung up by his cojonas, becasue of his perceived coaching mistakes in that game.

I appreciate the loyalty you guys have to Sherman. Until Philly, I thought he did an admirable job as our coach. That game soured me. The Atlanta playoff loss the year before, I let slide because we were decimated by injury. The Viking playoff loss at home, he was outcoached by Tice and that solitified my opinion of Sherman.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The "facts" still don't change the point though...

that's my point..

(ok..no more Sherman talk...)

...It's TT bashing time....(i think i'll make a margarita...)

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 4th and 26th is so over. Remember, we did fire ******** for that. Was Sherman supposed to run out on the field and knock down the ball himself? We didn't make the play, that's football.

Lets run and fire Dungy because he had enough talent to go to the SB but didn't, and then Belichek, etc

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah DePack, You can twist and turn things but in the end FACTS are all you got.

You can hate the guy, think hewas awful, whatever, but inthe end his record looks pretty good overall.

....thanks to Favre...

Sherman's "record" would have been vastly different if he didn't have #4 behind center...!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle wrote:

The 4th and 26th is so over. Remember, we did fire ******** for that. Was Sherman supposed to run out on the field and knock down the ball himself? We didn't make the play, that's football.

Lets run and fire Dungy because he had enough talent to go to the SB but didn't, and then Belichek, etc

Yeah, if your the owner of the Colts are you a little fed up yet? It's funny how Dungy can't get it done! He's in the same boat with Sherman and Mariucci. Are you coming over to my side with that argument.

No he didn't have to knock the ball down, that was Darlene's job but he was playing for the overthrown ball so he could run around and showboat. I'll gladly bash Sharper all day!

Members online

Latest posts