Were the Packers "Lucky" to win the Super Bowl?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends who they are.
Shields is the #3 CB, and Driver essentially was our 4th WR this season.

But losing Woodson was a huge turning point because we had their offense bottled up pretty well for for the first 28 minutes... then around the 2-minute warning when Woody broke the collar bone on that dam hard turf, then Big Ben started to heat up.

I'm amazed that (as far as I know), the Steelers didn't miss any games from their 4 LBers, especially their 2 great OLBers Woodley & Harrison, all season! That's Lucky.
This is exactly my point.
While we were "lucky" that we had 3 turnovers (all caused, but let's go with luck) we were also incredibly unlucky to lose Woodson and Shields. Before losing them, we had given up just 3 points in almost a half. After that, then the Steelers managed to rack up those points.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is exactly my point.
While we were "lucky" that we had 3 turnovers (all caused, but let's go with luck) we were also incredibly unlucky to lose Woodson and Shields. Before losing them, we had given up just 3 points in almost a half. After that, then the Steelers managed to rack up those points.
Exactly.
A lot more evidence of how much "luck" really is a factor in sports, especially football with so many (22 + incompetent or corrupt refs) moving parts on every single play.

I mean remember the TD pass to Jennings in Detroit?
That he dropped..
That he bounced off his helmet to be intercepted?
That was a great playcall, great pass.....
and it ended up being the difference in the game, which ended up being the difference in winning the division or not.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Luck? I think if Akers kick had hit an albatross that had flown into the stadium that's luck. He missed the kick. No luck involved. If there's luck in football it's in the refs' calls, but they tend to even out over a season so it's hard to point to luck one way or another.
Every team the Packers beat this year is calling it "luck" Ha! If the Packers had luck on their side, James Jones catches balls, returners fall down on kick returns against us and everybody in the league has as many injuries as our team did.
The Packers beat 1,2,3 ranked NFC teams and #2 ranked AFC team. Luck? You'd need the kind of luck it takes to win the lottery.... the odds are astronomical.
The Green Bay Packers are world champions and every single game made the season all the more enjoyable. If the Pack had dominated Caleb Hanie everyone would call it luck that he went into the game. Nope, you're not selling me they were lucky, they were really freakin' good though.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
We're lucky on three counts: we are Packer fans and we are not Bear or Viking fans; that's the kind of luck that makes life worth living.

Members online

Latest posts