well....?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
there's still about him here. that doesn't mean there's still talk about him at 1265 Lombardi Ave.

There is that "Randy Moss" type smoke on this one..

PACKERS EYEBALLING L.J.

A couple of weeks ago, former Packers linebacker George Koonce hinted on his way out of a front office job with the team that the Pack could be making a significant acquisition on offense.

The player in question could be Chiefs running back Larry Johnson.

WTMJ in Milwaukee reports that the Packers are "keeping a very close eye" on Johnson's situation. With one year remaining on his Kansas City contract, at a salary of $1.7 million, Johnson has made it clear that he wants a new contract before he endures another 400-carry season. The Chiefs discreetly dangled their Johnson (we couldn't resist) prior to the draft, but found no takers.

The problem is that anyone who wants L.J. will have to satisfy his contractual demands, and bow to the trade expectations of G.M. Carl Peterson. We think that, at a minimum, it'll take $25 million in guaranteed money to make Johnson happy, and a first-round pick and a third-round pick to get the Chiefs to bite.

If Johnson was worth that kind of a total investment, the Chiefs would be making it.

The reality here is that Johnson already has a lot of miles on the tires, and that it's still unclear whether Johnson is a truly great running back. Also, the fact that he carries the ball a lot puts him at greater risk of the kind of injury that would make the investment in his services look foolish in hindsight.

Absent a trade, there could be a nasty and protracted holdout. Johnson and Peterson have heads of solid rock, and we could envision both sides digging in, even if it's in no one's best interests to do so.

Reaction score
I agree with digs, Ted values draft picks a great deal, and at this point for him to actually give up a 1 and a 3 for LJ is unlikely.

I'm not sure why having an eye on LJ makes sense at this time. They invested a high pick in B-Jack, and I think they'll give him every opportunity after Morency to become THE guy at RB.

Bringing in LJ this year/next year wouldn't make too much sense, seeing as we drafted B-Jack to eventually start.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Oh I agree that a 1 and 3 are to much, but if LJ holds his guns and holds out... that price may cheapen a little....

Something to watch anyway.

Reaction score
But pack, would it be worth it?

You're going to be looking at a player, that even if he does come in, he'll need some time to understand a portion of the playbook.

To be honest, I don't think our schedule this year doesn't allow us to sit back and wait for LJ to learn the stuff, so he can actually win us games in the later part of the season.

I just think such a move would really hurt us in the short term. You get LJ, you're saying that Morency/B-Jack can't get the job done for you. Yet you're going to ask them to get it done for you for the first few games. I just don't think McCarthy is the type of coach to send that type of message.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Well, I still believe in the competition. I am really not sold on Jackson and I'm almost certain we'll be seeing his name on the injured list often. What does that leave, Morency, who MAY or may not be even average. It's a huge gamble, but what if he turns out to be sub-par . . . then what?? Considering our average passing game (hopefully it will mature into more), and such uncertainty at HB, I just think it's too much of a gamble. I do believe that the combo could amount to Ahman Green stats, but I believe we need BETTER then that to do anything significant. I have faith in Morency, but not really Jackson. If he was injured so much in college, do you guys really think he'll make it his FIRST year in the nfl? I believe that bringing in an experienced back would benefit everyone. There's a high chance that Jackson or Morency will be injured for parts of the season, and what first year starter would want to carry the majority of the load in the nfl? I personally wouldn't mind sharing the load with an experienced vet. while learning more and improving myself slowly. I dont believe either of the backs we have is a Reggie Bush, immediate star . . . especially Jackson. Bringing in LJ isn't saying that the duo cannot get things done, it's saying that they have to EARN the job, something that Ted firmly believes in.

With that being said . . . I do not wish and believe that it will NOT happen for any kind of significant draft trade. We won't be giving up a first round pick, and a third is unlikely as well. Doing such during a rebuilding time is not logical. I believe giving the guy some cash is worth it, and maybe some kind of decent trade, but if that doesn't work . . we won't be seeing LJ in green and gold.

However, with the right deal, I believe the pro's outweigh the cons.

Members online

Latest posts