Week 17 - At Detroit, the Lions Finale No. 4 in a row- Let's Get That 1 Seed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All right, had a night to savor the big W last night to clinch the NFC North, and now we got a chance to go for no. 1 overall in the conference. And that can happen now, but we gotta take care of business

Detroit has a plethora of injuries on offense starting of course with Stafford who will have to wait until next year. Their current IR also has TE Hockenson, WR Hall, and WR Jones also on it which barring any sudden moves there means backup QB Blough will not have much to work with outside of K Johnson who just got back last week, Golladay and Amendola.

Realistically, this should be a blowout game by us .... BUT ... We cannot leave anything to chance. I'd give the Panthers little to no chance to win against New Orleans. We need the Seahawks to win on Sunday Night to seal the deal .... But in the meantime we can't go on autopilot here yet. Detroit may be bad, but in today's football bad teams do show up and play over their heads sometimes, and I will give Patricia one thing that he does seem to prepare them pretty well against us.

Bottom line .... Let's finish this boys so that we pull a complete NFC North sweep and secure the 2 seed at minimum.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All right, had a night to savor the big W last night to clinch the NFC North, and now we got a chance to go for no. 1 overall in the conference. And that can happen now, but we gotta take care of business

Detroit has a plethora of injuries on offense starting of course with Stafford who will have to wait until next year. Their current IR also has TE Hockenson, WR Hall, and WR Jones also on it which barring any sudden moves there means backup QB Blough will not have much to work with outside of K Johnson who just got back last week, Golladay and Amendola.

Realistically, this should be a blowout game by us .... BUT ... We cannot leave anything to chance. I'd give the Panthers little to no chance to win against New Orleans. We need the Seahawks to win on Sunday Night to seal the deal .... But in the meantime we can't go on autopilot here yet. Detroit may be bad, but in today's football bad teams do show up and play over their heads sometimes, and I will give Patricia one thing that he does seem to prepare them pretty well against us.

Bottom line .... Let's finish this boys so that we pull a complete NFC North sweep and secure the 2 seed at minimum.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes indeed. Short week. But the reward of putting in preparation for this game is a week off. No elements to contend with.But January at Lambeau is better than any road game.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like David Blough, shame we didn't reach out to snatch him in the Draft, he looks like he's gonna be decent to say the least.

However we should beat the Lions handily. I don't expect a blowout, but with the Lions having nothing to play for, they should just roll over. However I don't wanna see LaFleur get off the gas. We can rest on the bye.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If the packers win and Seattle beats the 9ers, is there an NFC team that can come to Lambeau and win?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say Seattle would probably the most likely team to pose a threat. I just don't think the 49ers will make it through the gauntlet they've been in. The Rams almost knocked them off and out of our way. On the road against the Seahawks will be another meat grinder. As bad as the Cowboys are, and as depleted as the Eagles are on the depth chart, home games have a way of making teams like that dangerous. You never know what team is going to show up in Dallas, and Philly is just downright hostile.

Reaction score
If the packers win and Seattle beats the 9ers, is there an NFC team that can come to Lambeau and win?
I still think the 49ers match up to our personnel nicely. We will need a home game to have the best shot at an upset. Having film on them recently will help tremendously in game planning.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just never any such thing as a guaranteed win here, as the Seahawks found out the other day. Nothing is in the bag until we've finished it on the scoreboard when the clock hits zero.

But I think the key once again will be if Z Smith and A Jones can duplicate what they did last night or better. If they do, I don't think the Lions have the personnel available on offense to contend with that. But man, cannot give these guys hope by playing down to their level or they definitely can find a way to spoil Superbowl aspirations.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Several of our recent Lion's games have a few plays called where the officials seem to affect the outcome. I want a clean win where there is no doubt who the better team on the field is. Dominate through the first 40-46½ minutes and let the benchwarmers get some playing time.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However we should beat the Lions handily. I don't expect a blowout, but with the Lions having nothing to play for, they should just roll over. However I don't wanna see LaFleur get off the gas. We can rest on the bye.
Do the Lions EVER EVER roll over for the Packers. I say not. The Packers CANNOT get complacent. They have control of a first round bye, which is huge. To throw that opportunity away would be a huge fail and make the odds of advancing in the playoffs much more difficult. The good thing is that none of the top NFC teams can rest either.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like David Blough, shame we didn't reach out to snatch him in the Draft, he looks like he's gonna be decent to say the least.

Be nice if we can put the game away and get players a rest. But the way this season has gone only the Raiders game went in the bag. Just win it and prepare for the postseason.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be nice if we can put the game away and get players a rest. But the way this season has gone only the Raiders game went in the bag.
If we win, they'll get a two week rest anyway.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The last thing the Packers need is to sit on a team like Detroit who would like nothing better to get one last rub on this team, offense has to play much better, ST has to get it together, every game now the Pack should treat it like a championship game, the Lombardi trophy belongs back in Green Bay..

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't expect a blowout, but with the Lions having nothing to play for, they should just roll over.

The Lions would definitely take a lot of pride preventing the Packers from getting the #1 seed or a first round bye.

Yes, there would still be five of those teams left.

I would say Seattle would probably the most likely team to pose a threat.

In my opinion the Niners and the Saints would be the toughest matchups for the Packers in the playoffs.

But I think the key once again will be if Z Smith and A Jones can duplicate what they did last night or better.

It might be a bit unrealistic to expect both of them to duplicate their performance against the Vikings.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning at Ford Field is never easy, regardless of the records. It would make the Lions season to knock the Packers down a notch in the seedings. I'm sweating this game as much as any this year.

Reaction score
The Lions got out with an early 13pt lead last meeting, with Stafford leading the way. But GB overcame it to get the win. This time GB needs to score first and then keep the throttle open.

Having extra days off for our team should definitely provide motivation to get a W

GB 28
Detroit 16

Last edited:

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id also like AR to finally "get hot" and carry it into the playoffs similar to what Eli did when they won their SB

We will need AR to get hot eventually and help the D out

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok...IF there's a such thing as a trap game for this Packers team it's this one. they have plenty to play for though and i'm sure MLF will pound that into them. in fact he's already started (hear post-game locker room comments). he can't relent and has to make his message stick.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just never any such thing as a guaranteed win here, as the Seahawks found out the other day. Nothing is in the bag until we've finished it on the scoreboard when the clock hits zero.

But I think the key once again will be if Z Smith and A Jones can duplicate what they did last night or better. If they do, I don't think the Lions have the personnel available on offense to contend with that. But man, cannot give these guys hope by playing down to their level or they definitely can find a way to spoil Superbowl aspirations.

You got that right. The Lions are a mess right now but I have a feeling they would love nothing more than to knock us out of the #1 or 2 seed, especially after our game against them earlier. As long as we continue with the short passing game and don't turn the damn ball over we should be fine.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions would definitely take a lot of pride preventing the Packers from getting the #1 seed or a first round bye.

Yes, there would still be five of those teams left.

In my opinion the Niners and the Saints would be the toughest matchups for the Packers in the playoffs.

It might be a bit unrealistic to expect both of them to duplicate their performance against the Vikings.

Not necessarily. J Williams had a good game against Detroit last go around, and I don't think their run defense has gotten any better since.

As to Z Smith, well I just think Blough doesn't have nearly the pocket awareness or wherewithal to pull the trigger as quick as Stafford would, and hence I could see the Smiths getting after him pretty hard.

To be fair, given our propensity to keep opponents in games, I think we'll probably win this one something like 24-14 or 27-20 ... Something like that. Detroit will show up and our guys have to know this. But at the end of the day, I still think our healthier and deeper team will end up doing what they gotta do to get that win.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning at Ford Field is never easy, regardless of the records. It would make the Lions season to knock the Packers down a notch in the seedings. I'm sweating this game as much as any this year.
Our experience tells us never to take our division opponents lightly. In the 2008 season finale we faced an 0-15 Lions team. We won the game but did not play well. Imagine losing and being the team to end their streak. The Lions are looking more into 2020 right now. They may play 2 QBs in this game. I think the fact that we have not played a good game against them in a number of years and getting pummeled 3 times in a row before the 23-22 win gives us incentive enough. I am glad LaFleur has no memory of the past here.

Status
Not open for further replies.