Vikings and Packers will finish 1st and 2nd in the NFC North

AZRunning

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with the retirement of #4 the Packers still have the best starting quarterback in the division which may be a sad commentary on the division. They also have the divisions best defense, second best running game, top passing game and best front office/coaching (did I miss anything). You have to like our chances.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Vikings and Packers will finish 1st and 2nd in the NFC N

IF AP stays healthy....

any team that hangs all of its hope on one player is gonna be in for a long season.

people criticize childress when he doesn't run AP, but they will crucify him even more when he gives him 40 carries a game and he get hurt by week 7.

you need balance in this league.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Obi1 said:
IF AP stays healthy....

any team that hangs all of its hope on one player is gonna be in for a long season.

people criticize childress when he doesn't run AP, but they will crucify him even more when he gives him 40 carries a game and he get hurt by week 7.

You got a nomination from me somewhere along the way miller.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all seriousness, no matter how crappy Childress is, the Vikings have all sorts of talent on both sides of the ball.

Unfortunately, there's no QB.

If you guys had Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss, it would be a different story.

But that just isn't the case. I expect the Pack to go out on top in the North.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

Obi1 said:
IF AP stays healthy....

That's exactly what I was thinking when people were complaining about AP not getting enough carries. You can't just throw a rookie in there a beat him to death. Perhaps you would get a few successful games, but then he could get injured and then you don't get him at all.

I'm not saying he couldn't have used AP a LITTLE more, but overall, I think the amount of carries he got was fair, especially with Chester Taylor backing him up. AP and Taylor is one hell of a duo. Also, towards the end of the season, Peterson was getting shut down fairly often, forcing the Vikes to pass more. I'm no expert on the vikings season, but I'm pretty sure several teams figured out ways to stop AP near the end of the year, even the 49'ers.

As several people said, Peterson and/or Taylor cannot carry the team alone. They need more diversity. Now, if they develop even a decent passing attack, they would certainly be a hand full. Until then, I wouldn't expect too much more then a decent team--missing the playoffs.

Lots of potential though. Both the Vikes and Pack are loaded with potential. I honestly hope both live up to it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see it with Packers and Vikings at the top. I'll take Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers over Brad Childress and Tavaris Jackson.

To me that is the huge difference. Other wise the teams are close. Packers have better DE play. Minnesota has better DT play. Packers are better at CB, Minnesota at Safety. Packers are better at OT. Minnesota on the interior line. Packers are better at WR, Minnesota at RB.

The thing I also see between the two teams is GB is significantly better in some areas where as Minnesota isn't that far ahead of Green Bay in their strengths. Receiver is a great example. I know Viking fans are high on Sidney Rice but he probably is lucky to be the #4 or #5 receiver on the Pack's depth chart. I actually think that the Packers DT set is among the best in football it's just not as good as the Williams'. Safety play also doesn't have a huge gap between them.

At the most I think the Packers could have a 2 game lead against Minnesota but most likely they'll finish one game apart IMO.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings and Packers will finish 1st and 2nd in the NFC N

... the Packers still have the best starting quarterback in the division ...

No smack intended AZRunning, but how can you make that statement when the Rodgers has never started a game?
The differences between Rodgers role in the past, and what he has to face now, are enormous.
He is an unknown is his present role.
He may do very well, very poorly, or somewhere in between.

As to how the teams in the NFNC will do this year, well at this juncture, I think that anything is possible.

I am not a big Childress fan, but this will be year #3 for him and he is still betting on Jackson.
So, IMO, if the Vikings do not improve, Chilly could be facing a chilly future.

On another note, I have enjoyed reading the opinions in this thread! Well done to all.

And porky, as usual your analysis is top notch.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the first statement in the post as long as AP stays healthy. He really is their only offensive threat but he's a damn good one. Their D is good but it can't win them games on it's own like it has been doing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I agree with the first statement in the post as long as AP stays healthy. He really is their only offensive threat but he's a damn good one. Their D is good but it can't win them games on it's own like it has been doing.

Just like the Lions with Barry Sanders for most of his career

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AZRunning said:

No smack intended AZRunning, but how can you make that statement when the Rodgers has never started a game?
The differences between Rodgers role in the past, and what he has to face now, are enormous.

You're right, no statement can be made based on fact, it's all opinion.

What's your honest opinion of how Rodgers will do?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFT says Jared Allen is going to be traded, either to Tampa or the Vikings. if it happens, we'll have to face him regardless. hope it ends up being Tampa. I'd hate to have to face him twice a year.

EDIT: it's reported by Jay Glazer, not just speculation by Florio.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're going to be asking a ton for him. I almost hope Minnesota takes him. It could hurt them more than it helps them.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is the thing with Allen.. he is a strike away from sitting out because of Alcohol abuse.. Signing him to a long term big money contract is a huge risk IMO.. good luck with him or his agent letting you put any type of protection language in place for the franchise..

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here is the thing with Allen.. he is a strike away from sitting out because of Alcohol abuse.. Signing him to a long term big money contract is a huge risk IMO.. good luck with him or his agent letting you put any type of protection language in place for the franchise..

Almost as big a risk as signing Koren Robinson.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:

In a way, Allen is going to command alot more money upfront and guaranteed than one Krob will.. IMO.. could be a franchise killing type move if he slips up.. I hope him the best personally, but it is still a risk.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:

The big difference with K-Rob though is we got him for pretty cheap.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:
Pack93z said:

The big difference with K-Rob though is we got him for pretty cheap.

true, but Koren was convicted of two DUI's, awaiting two jail sentences, and awaiting imminent suspension from the NFL

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings and Packers will finish 1st and 2nd in the NFC N

vikesrule said:
AZRunning said:

Honestly I think that he will prove to be a very good QB...in time.

He has a good arm, accurate, great athletic ability, good size, and he can move.
But he has a great deal to learn, and that will only come from experience.

I think that like a lot of guys starting out, he will have many ups and downs.
This year, i see him having a slump of say 3-4 games, and how that will be taken by the fans will be interesting to see.

AZRunning

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AZRunning said:

I agree, Rodgers' role will be different and more will be expected of him. However, given everything that we've seen, which is all we can really go on, you'd have to like Rodgers over Jackson, Grossman (or Orton whoever they play) and Kitna. Would anybody take any of the other quarterbacks?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE: On the player acquisition front, it appears the Queens will be making Jared "Miller Time" Allen one of, if not the highest paid DE in the league if terms can be worked out with the Chiefs.

You cannot make this **** up!! He and Bryant McKinnie ought to have a blast together in the wee hours!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

UPDATE: On the player acquisition front, it appears the Queens will be making Jared "Miller Time" Allen one of, if not the highest paid DE in the league if terms can be worked out with the Chiefs.

You cannot make this **** up!! He and Bryant McKinnie ought to have a blast together in the wee hours!!

Didnt they just make an OG the highest paid OG in the league the other year? And now the highest paid DE?

How about a QB who doesn't suck, Vikings.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MassPackersFan said:
vikesrule said:
AZRunning said:

Honestly I think that he will prove to be a very good QB...in time.

He has a good arm, accurate, great athletic ability, good size, and he can move.
But he has a great deal to learn, and that will only come from experience.

I think that like a lot of guys starting out, he will have many ups and downs.
This year, i see him having a slump of say 3-4 games, and how that will be taken by the fans will be interesting to see.

Vikesrule, who do YOU think is a better starting QB than Rodgers in the NFC north?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

vikesrule said:
AZRunning said:

I agree, Rodgers' role will be different and more will be expected of him. However, given everything that we've seen, which is all we can really go on, you'd have to like Rodgers over Jackson, Grossman (or Orton whoever they play) and Kitna. Would anybody take any of the other quarterbacks?

That's the thing. Let's say hypothetically, you get one QB for your team. Your choice is Rodgers, Jackson, Grossman, or Kitna.

How many people would pick someone other than Rodgers? I sure wouldn't. Grossman is the worst of the four, I don't think anyone would argue that (well, anyone sober).

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings really need to get some consistent play out of the QB position - not great just solid and consistent. They also need to upgrade the edge of the defense - especially along the DL. TE is a big question mark and I still feel the DB's can be exploited. If they can upgrade in 2 of these areas, I see 9-11 wins.

I do not see Detroit or Chicago making a significant leap, as they both have numerous holes.

GB has a tougher schedule than Minn., a 1st year starter at QB, some age at CB, a slightly unsettled interior OL, and questionable depth at RB.

That being said I think Rogers will have more poise and consistent performance than Jackson had last year and possibly this year. Rogers came from a bigger program and played better competition in college, plus had several years to soak in the pro game-although real game experience is limited. The CB issue could be troubling, as Harris showed signs of slowing last year and both could hit the wall quickly. I think our line situation will be more settled and improved this year. Finally, RB. GB needs to find a compliment to Grant that person may already be on the roster - but we need someone to take 20-30% of the carries and be effective.

I will go with GB posting 9-11 wins and GB and Minn battling to the end for the divison.