TT lets another one get away

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams sign ex-Packer

Rams sign ex-Packers punter Sander

Press-Gazette

Former Green Bay Packers punter B.J. Sander, who was out of football last season, has been signed as a street free agent by the St. Louis Rams, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Sander, 26, was the Packers' third-round draft choice in 2004, but was kept on the team's inactive list all season. In 2005, he averaged 39.2 yards on 64 punts in 14 games.

He was released Aug. 21, when the Packers decided late in training camp to go with free agent Jon Ryan as their punter for the 2006 season.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny....kind of surpirsed he did not end up with Houston. :rotflmao:

haha, I liked Sherman, but I have to laugh at that one.

Sander was vilanized in Green Bay for circumstances beyond his control. Granted, he didn't perform well, but if he was picked up in the 7th round, or as a FA after the draft, nobody would have cared that he didn't work out in GB

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have cared!
I'm still upset that they let Craig Heintrich go many years ago!
Punters are undervalued in my view. They can give your D great field position, or destroy that with their kicks.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant that nobody would have noticed...if we bring in some jabroni place kicker in the offseason, nobody is too upset because he doesn't kick well in training camp...people were mainly upset with Sander because of the expecations placed on him due to when he was drafted, which is out of his control.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, musccy....when a GM has a brain fart and selects a mediocre punter in the 3rd, there is a false sense of expectation placed upon that individual. I expect he will rebound and have a 15 year career filled with mediocrity...which is typical for most punters as few are truly special.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Yep, musccy....when a GM has a brain fart and selects a mediocre punter in the 3rd, there is a false sense of expectation placed upon that individual. I expect he will rebound and have a 15 year career filled with mediocrity...which is typical for most punters as few are truly special.

Let's be a little fair here, Sanders had a great senior year at "The Ohio State" university, but what compounded the issues was moving up in the draft to select him and trading away picks. A classic flub-up:) Not Sherman's best move ever.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant that nobody would have noticed...if we bring in some jabroni place kicker in the offseason, nobody is too upset because he doesn't kick well in training camp...people were mainly upset with Sander because of the expecations placed on him due to when he was drafted, which is out of his control.
I know how you meant it Musccy..........I didn't mean to sound like i wasn't agreeing with you. (I DO agree!!!)
When a player has a draft pick spent on him, he SHOULD be able to perform on a high level.......OR, the people using the draft pick didn't do their homework very well. I think it was more that someone didn't do their homework!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy sucked big time what a waste of a pick. We found a way better punter and we had to look no farther then Canada and the best part we didnt have to use a draft pick and a 3rd rounder at that.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy sucked big time what a waste of a pick. We found a way better punter and we had to look no farther then Canada and the best part we didnt have to use a draft pick and a 3rd rounder at that.
I know.......Sherman didn't exactly use that pick well. He didn't have a great track record as a GM in my opinion.
I don't like bashing Sherman, and i'm not trying too, i just didn't see many good results in his drafts.

Members online