Tom Brady Just Retired then just unretired

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Players get traded every year to less than desired teams. If they don’t show it’s called job abandonment. The Packers would try their best to appease Rodgers to maximize both parties benefits, not because Rodgers owns some legal binding power to demand he plays for GB.
Rodgers cannot force the Packers to play him if they desire a trade. That’s what you are insinuating

Again he can retire like Brady. :tup:
So you honestly think any team is going to trade for Rodgers without assurances that he will negotiate a contract extension beyond 2022 (actually probably with a deal in place?). Rodgers can absolutely force the Packers to pay him. All he has to do is refuse to talk to any team about an extension. He is perfectly within his right to do that. He can even refuse to talk to any given team about his intention to play football at all in 2022. Given that “message” how many draft picks are you shipping to Green Bay? Meanwhile Rodgers counts $46M against this years cap …. Tell me what cards Green Bay holds? They trade him to where he tells them to trade him too, they eat the $46M or they release him and get nothing…. Those are the options (unless Rodgers wants to extend to a rebuilding Green Bay roster next year)

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady posted something on Twitter that he was done this AM. His agent found out & told him to remove it, which he did. Brady receives a $8.9mil bonus payment on Feb. 18th. Also, Tampa gets socked with over $30mil dead money on '22's cap IF he retires before 6/02/22. IF Brady retires after 6/02/22 then the dead cap $ hits 2023's cap instead. Brady will officially retire on 6/03/22, saving Tampa '22 cap space AND pocketing an additional $8.9mil bonus.
NFL Players get traded every year to less than desired teams. If they don’t show it’s called job abandonment. The Packers would try their best to appease Rodgers to maximize both parties benefits, not because Rodgers owns some legal binding power to decide when and who he plays for. Yes he can be a jerk and not show up for work it’s called “at will”. We obviously can’t physically force him to get out of bed, but he can’t tell us what to do either. I suppose the team would get a arbitrator if it got that ugly. Let’s hope he doesn’t pull that (I honestly don’t think he will he’s pretty smart and stalemating would be really dumb). I’m no expert, but I did call him back to work within 1 week of when he showed. If he was going to be stupid with his $$$?? it would’ve already happened, imo.
Or.. Again he can retire like Brady. :tup:
Those players are not Aarogant Rodgers, They aren’t in the final year of a HUGE contract, they aren’t “franchise proof@ they aren’t being traded for multiple high draft choices…. Rodgers insisted Green Bay hand him a loaded gun in order to get him to play in 2021, the only question is how maliciously he’ll use it… Green Bay has ZERO leverage (other than cutting enough players to fit his $46 million into this years cap which everyone says is impossible and was dedigned to be impossible when the contract was redone)

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could release him and get nothing. Maybe if they think he’s that big of an Ahuul they’d just cut him and move on. I’m not sure you’d have to ask Brian that question.

I do know that teams trade players before the player is even aware. They must fulfill their contract. In his case it would be 1 season. Anything past that would be between him and the trade team.

PS. I’m not sure why you are arguing with @Pkrjones. He was just relaying a news story.
You sure seem defensive. I’m going to end this debate you’re getting a little irritable. I was just stating the rules as I know them. It’s not that big of a deal they likely resign Rodgers either way they’d be dumb not to try.
They could release him and get nothing. Maybe if they think he’s that big of an Ahuul they’d just cut him and move on. I’m not sure you’d have to ask Brian that question.

I do know that teams trade players before the player is even aware. They must fulfill their contract. In his case it would be 1 season. Anything past that would be between him and the trade team.

PS. I’m not sure why you are arguing with @Pkrjones. He was just relaying a news story.
You sure seem defensive. I’m going to end this debate you’re getting a little irritable. I was just stating the rules as I know them. It’s not that big of a deal they likely resign Rodgers either way they’d be dumb not to try.
In other words you realize your arguement is absurd. LOL Again tell me what leverage Green Bay has to get a significant amount of draft capital from a team Rodgers will not agree to an extension with. It’s not going to happen. Rodgers can do the same thing to “that team” that he did to Green Bay i.e. chill out in Hawaii incomunicado until he’s required to report. (I’m there now, trust me that wouldnt be a bad option for Aarogant)… no GM will sign up for that… Green Bay was stuck with him, nobody else is

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady posted something on Twitter that he was done this AM. His agent found out & told him to remove it, which he did. Brady receives a $8.9mil bonus payment on Feb. 18th. Also, Tampa gets socked with over $30mil dead money on '22's cap IF he retires before 6/02/22. IF Brady retires after 6/02/22 then the dead cap $ hits 2023's cap instead. Brady will officially retire on 6/03/22, saving Tampa '22 cap space AND pocketing an additional $8.9mil bonus.
Win/Win for Tom and TB

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you honestly think any team is going to trade for Rodgers without assurances that he will negotiate a contract extension beyond 2022 (actually probably with a deal in place?). Rodgers can absolutely force the Packers to pay him. All he has to do is refuse to talk to any team about an extension.
It is a concern that Rodgers only has one year left on his contract, that's going to limit the value we get from any team we might trade him to.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Secondly they are picking towards the end of the draft. Ideally you’d not want any trade in 2022 outside a top 20 (really more like top 15).
Maybe they could send us some defensive help, or even some special teams players.
I agree Tampa is an unlikely destination.

My gut feeling is still that Rodgers stays in Green Bay. Who knows, maybe if we draft well we even get that Super Bowl before he retires. This is a good example of endless optimism. Must be how Bear fans feel. Well, maybe not that bad.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Brady retirement won't be made official until after June 1. That's when the Bucs can get a cap break on part of the dead cap they face with him.

I don't believe Rodgers would even be considered by the Bucs to be honest. It's all about cap space. The two teams I see who would be interested in him most would be Denver and Las Vegas. After that, San Francisco and possibly... just barely possible I'd think.... Seattle, if Russ Wilson is gone.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Brady retirement won't be made official until after June 1. That's when the Bucs can get a cap break on part of the dead cap they face with him.

I don't believe Rodgers would even be considered by the Bucs to be honest. It's all about cap space. The two teams I see who would be interested in him most would be Denver and Las Vegas. After that, San Francisco and possibly... just barely possible I'd think.... Seattle, if Russ Wilson is gone.
I din’t so SF. They have Jimmy G who may be going to his 2nd SB in 3 years and a rookie they traded way up to grab. Plus aren’t they a little light on draff capital after grabbing Lawrence?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I din’t so SF. They have Jimmy G who may be going to his 2nd SB in 3 years and a rookie they traded way up to grab. Plus aren’t they a little light on draff capital after grabbing Lawrence?
Agreed on all of it. Yet, they seem to be interested in upgrading at QB. I don't get it either. It's like Shanny doesn't trust either Garo or Lance to be the long time fix.

Personally, I thought Garo has done a decent job. Lance? I have no idea how he's going to develop.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed on all of it. Yet, they seem to be interested in upgrading at QB. I don't get it either. It's like Shanny doesn't trust either Garo or Lance to be the long time fix.

Personally, I thought Garo has done a decent job. Lance? I have no idea how he's going to develop.
Serious question what makes you think they want to upgrade at QB (other than moving on to the guy they drafted?) Thought his name was Lawrence

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Serious question what makes you think they want to upgrade at QB (other than moving on to the guy they drafted?) Thought his name was Lawrence
It's Trey Lance, out of North Dakota. The issue about QB goes back to even before this season started. They tried hard to get Stafford if I recall correctly. Trevor Lawrence is with the Jaguars. He's the guy that opponents used like a Pinata all year.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The report came from Adam 'Fake news on draft day' Schefter... .so I don't trust it simply because of that.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like it’s from Brady himself now. Never a Pats fan and not really a huge Brady fan but you just gotta admire, and can’t really argue with, 7 rings and 10 appearances.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a part of me that's a bit saddened by Brady's retirement, more than I expected. I was never a Brady fan per se but I have a hard time imagining that anyone will ever replicate his success in terms of winning. I barely remember football without Brady. It's definitely the end of an era.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a part of me that's a bit saddened by Brady's retirement, more than I expected. I was never a Brady fan per se but I have a hard time imagining that anyone will ever replicate his success in terms of winning. I barely remember football without Brady. It's definitely the end of an era.
It's hard to imagine football without Brady. He was such an infuriating blend of talent and seemingly insane luck.I had always hoped the Packers, and Rodgers, would get one over on him in some sort of meaningful game. But with him gone, that opportunity disappears, just more example of unfulfilled potential.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine football without Brady. He was such an infuriating blend of talent and seemingly insane luck.I had always hoped the Packers, and Rodgers, would get one over on him in some sort of meaningful game. But with him gone, that opportunity disappears, just more example of unfulfilled potential.
I really wish we had won the NFC Championship game. That blown coverage before halftime cost us.

Brady has some intangibles that I've never seen in another player before. It's like he elevates the entire team around him. It's not something that shows up on a stat sheet but it's clearly real. His consistency is just mind-blowing. 7 rings? 10 SB appearances? 14 Conference Championship appearances? 35 playoff wins? The guy only missed the playoffs once in his entire career, not counting his lost 2008 season. Those numbers are all insane and the only other QBs who can remotely compare played before the salary cap. Since the salary cap was introduced, no QB has more than 2 rings. It's just crazy.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like it’s from Brady himself now. Never a Pats fan and not really a huge Brady fan but you just gotta admire, and can’t really argue with, 7 rings and 10 appearances.
I have suspicions just how legit those are.
I just don't see how one player can be all that good.
Lance cheated.
Different sport. Different guy but for example.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

What are the odds on Rodgers leaving us and going to Tampa now that Brady has retired ?

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Boston, and let me tell you guys how fantastic and delicious it is that Brady pointedly left out any mention of his time with the Pats in his long retirement statement. Thanked basically every waterboy and fan in Tampa, hahaha. This town is flipping out. I love it.

Members online

No members online now.