Thompson: Roster is "skewed"

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
no one seems to get the idea that maybe Thompson just didnt want Green. Maybe in 06 he looked at his contract and said... no way im re-signing this guy or giving him an extension unless its at a decent price.

Vernand Morency came in last year and replaced Green fairly well with little experience and practice. Samkon Gado the year before that. I mean i like Green as much as the next guy but what has he shown you for the past 2 years beside a low yard per carry average and injury.

I just dont see how having Ahman Green (with his injuries, fumbles and mediocre production) would make this current running back corp any more stable. people act as if Ahman Green is never hurt or something.

even last year Green showed he had the ability to take a run all the way to the end zone.

Last year?

You mean last year when the 29 year old RB came back from an injury and signed a nice one year contract and didn't average more than Vernand morency, then went on to sign a hefty contract with the Texans?

That last year?

I like Green. I have an Ahman jersey, but he's getting old, banged up, and got a ridiculously great payday from the texans. I am happy that he worked the Texans like that. Time to move on.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the packers did have people with some experience but because of injuries it did not work out that way:
Vernand Morency - 3rd year, 1 year in the packers system.
Noah Herron - 3rd year, at least 1 year in the packers system.
Brandon Miree - 3rd year, at least 1 year in the packers system.

Ted upped the competition with 3 other players,
Arliss Beach - 2 year
Pope - 2 year
B Jackson - R
White - R
Wynn - R
Korey Hall - R

While the holdovers were not great players they did bring some experience. I think because of all the injuries it just hasn't worked out.

do you want anyone of the guys you mentioned as your starting back for 16 games, and if so which one?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
no one seems to get the idea that maybe Thompson just didnt want Green. Maybe in 06 he looked at his contract and said... no way im re-signing this guy or giving him an extension unless its at a decent price.

Vernand Morency came in last year and replaced Green fairly well with little experience and practice. Samkon Gado the year before that. I mean i like Green as much as the next guy but what has he shown you for the past 2 years beside a low yard per carry average and injury.

I just dont see how having Ahman Green (with his injuries, fumbles and mediocre production) would make this current running back corp any more stable. people act as if Ahman Green is never hurt or something.

even last year Green showed he had the ability to take a run all the way to the end zone.

Last year?

You mean last year when the 29 year old RB came back from an injury and signed a nice one year contract and didn't average more than Vernand morency, then went on to sign a hefty contract with the Texans?

That last year?

I like Green. I have an Ahman jersey, but he's getting old, banged up, and got a ridiculously great payday from the texans. I am happy that he worked the Texans like that. Time to move on.

fine, just do not tell me b-jack can run like green, b/c there is no comparison.
is 6 million dollars a crazy amount of money?
Green is gonna have a huge year, just watch!

Reaction score
I'd say that I wouldn't mind B-Jack or Mo starting.

I really think they have the tools to excel in the RB scheme, given that our o-line does even a half decent job.

I still remember last year, Noah Herron rushing for over 100 yards in one game. He isn't as talented as B-Jack or V-Mo (and he was also new to the Packers system), so I believe we can have success with lesser known RBs if (and that is a big "if") our o-line does what the ZB scheme requires them to do.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with you what so ever. Your a good poster and I gain from your insight.

Don't get yourself confused with some others I gain very little from because I don't always name who I am referring to in every post.

There are some here who strangle our GM over every issue that pops up here because they have a bone to pick over some prior move he made. Rather than just bow up and say "hey, I'm pissed at him because he didn't handle so and so right" so we could all MOVE ON and go to bigger and better things. They prefer to nit pick every issue and every circumstance.

Why?

Because the do not want to let it go. They prefer to rant, rave, and discriminate. It's their RIGHT, you see, to hold a freaking grudge until hell freezes over. Even when their arguements make no sense what so ever and I doubt even they, themselves, at times really BELIEVE what they are saying.

When everything they have had to say is countered with something measurable they come back with positions that make no sense at all. BUT, they have the right to this opinion because somewhere, someway, way back when, TT pissed them off. Royally.

And we all get to live with it thank you very much. It's all cool though.

Aint no step for a stepper.
baiting!!!!!!!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I'd say that I wouldn't mind B-Jack or Mo starting.

I really think they have the tools to excel in the RB scheme, given that our o-line does even a half decent job.

I still remember last year, Noah Herron rushing for over 100 yards in one game. He isn't as talented as B-Jack or V-Mo (and he was also new to the Packers system), so I believe we can have success with lesser known RBs if (and that is a big "if") our o-line does what the ZB scheme requires them to do.

why isin't Herron as talented as B-Jack or MO. What sets them apart?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you serious?

Why isn't Robert Ferguson as good as T.O then?

because they're different people with different bodies, abilities, and skillsets.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you serious?

Why isn't Robert Ferguson as good as T.O then?

because they're different people with different bodies, abilities, and skillsets.

sorry, but i don't see that much difference in the talent level between those three.

Reaction score

In my opinion, Herron is not as quick or as fast as either V-Mo and B-Jack.

Quickness is more important than speed in the Zone blocking scheme, and that is where B-Jack and V-Mo excel at: they have good quickness.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In my opinion, Herron is not as quick or as fast as either V-Mo and B-Jack.

Quickness is more important than speed in the Zone blocking scheme, and that is where B-Jack and V-Mo excel at: they have good quickness.

do you really feel jackson is fast?

Reaction score

That's a tough question to answer.

From college footage I've seen from him, I'd say yes. Also, I believe he ran something like a 4.4 seconds 40-yard dash at the combine.

In watching him play in the NFL, it's hard to say "yes" to that question. Personally, I feel that a lack of speed shown thus far by B-Jack in games is a product of being a rookie and hesitating.

Also, Brandon had to play 2 games in 5 days (Seahawks and then Jags), so that too may be a reason why he didn't look all that fast (or quick) in his last game. Playing twice in a span of 5 days must be tough for vets, and it must be doubly tough for rookies that must adjust to a situation where the players are faster and stronger, the coaches are more devious and astute, and the game is faster.

So I believe in good time (I'm hoping/praying by the Philly game) B-Jack will be at a point where he can better use his physical attributes.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(im just waiting for zero to post that MM quote about he says Jackson is fast and has a quick burst)

(carry on, nothing to see here)

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's a tough question to answer.

From college footage I've seen from him, I'd say yes. Also, I believe he ran something like a 4.4 seconds 40-yard dash at the combine.

In watching him play in the NFL, it's hard to say "yes" to that question. Personally, I feel that a lack of speed shown thus far by B-Jack in games is a product of being a rookie and hesitating.

Also, Brandon had to play 2 games in 5 days (Seahawks and then Jags), so that too may be a reason why he didn't look all that fast (or quick) in his last game. Playing twice in a span of 5 days must be tough for vets, and it must be doubly tough for rookies that must adjust to a situation where the players are faster and stronger, the coaches are more devious and astute, and the game is faster.

So I believe in good time (I'm hoping/praying by the Philly game) B-Jack will be at a point where he can better use his physical attributes.

I read jackson ran 4.58. and this is my beef w/the kid, he really hesitates b/f he makes his cut and runs to the hole. that is just not going to work in the ZBS. another thing, the kid was hurt throughout his career in college, so jackson being hurt now, does not sit well w/me.

jez, i love the Pack, not just #4, i hope i'm wrong, but so far, b-jack has done nothing to show me he is special.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(im just waiting for zero to post that MM quote about he says Jackson is fast and has a quick burst)

you mean when jackson is playing against a third string defense?

does this not make any sense to you?

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would have had Lynch in the first round, had the Bills not scooped him up.

Just want to throw in my 2 cents on this topic. because there is a lot going on.
First of all I don't think you can exactly say that Buffalo "scooped" him in front of us. I happened to end up sitting next to one of the assistant coaches a week before the draft at an awards dinner and asked where we were going to go with the draft ( No I really didnt expaect him to tell). Anyway he told me they wanted Lynch but he wasn't going to fall past Buffalo so they would either have to move up or they wouldn't get him. So, They knew exactly what would take to get him they just weren't willling to pay for it. I don't see that as "Scooping" him up. ( I apologize if you didn't mean the term as I interpreted it.)
As for Green yes he got an obscene amount of money from Houston, but that is why you get the deal done in December before he even hits the market.
Yes, our running game will get better but I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think it will start slow. We are going to have some growing pains, especially in the begining of the year. Unfortunately with 4 of our last 6 games are on the road, so I Don't think we can afford to get off to too slow of a start.

As for the subject of people who "Rant and Rave" for or against Thopmson, I think there are people who come here with an agenda rather than an opinion.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Jackson started the preseason games cuz of Mo's injury.

he STARTED against OTHER starters...

what part of THAT doesn't make sense to you? Apparently all of it. You entertain me so much.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

No need to embarrass the chap anymore with that quote ;)

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
tromadz said:

what part of THAT doesn't make sense to you? Apparently all of it. You entertain me so much.

please answer this
do you watch the pre-season games from start to finish?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

No need to embarrass the chap anymore with that quote ;)

the one about the burst against a third string defense?
does that make sense to you old chap?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how you refuse to understand Jackson faced off against starters multiple times in the preseason.

Do you still refuse to believe the earth rotates around the sun and not the other way around?

you're a tough nut to crack.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read jackson ran 4.58. and this is my beef w/the kid, he really hesitates b/f he makes his cut and runs to the hole. that is just not going to work in the ZBS. another thing, the kid was hurt throughout his career in college, so jackson being hurt now, does not sit well w/me.

jez, i love the Pack, not just #4, i hope i'm wrong, but so far, b-jack has done nothing to show me he is special.

He was only hurt in 2005 when he missed significant time with a shoulder injury. He played a lot as a true freshman and then obviously last year when he was 1st team All Big 12.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
dhpackr said:
tromadz said:

please answer this
do you watch the pre-season games from start to finish?

I actually watch them TWICE

once to watch, 2nd for editing purposes when i make videos.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how you refuse to understand Jackson faced off against starters multiple times in the preseason.

Do you still refuse to believe the earth rotates around the sun and not the other way around?

what were b-jacks stats for pre-season?
and do those numbers impress you?
ths guy is not a dominating runner, and his performance against the jags was scarry. the comments from MM about jackson were when he was playing against the third string.
i don't know what that has to do with the sun and the rotation of the earth, but that is your typical post.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

He was only hurt in 2005 when he missed significant time with a shoulder injury. He played a lot as a true freshman and then obviously last year when he was 1st team All Big 12.

b-jack played 10 games freshman season, then 9 games his next two
here is a link
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft...go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=11408

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

what were b-jacks stats for pre-season?
and do those numbers impress you?
ths guy is not a dominating runner, and his performance against the jags was scarry. the comments from MM about jackson were when he was playing against the third string.
i don't know what that has to do with the sun and the rotation of the earth, but that is your typical post.

1. He's a freaking rookie in his first NFL action.

2. There was no cut blocking.

3. The playcalling was basic and vanilla.

4. Jackson was top 10 in preseason among rookie RBs (NFL.com)

5. My typical post is making you look wrong, which I enjoy.

:)

Latest posts