Thompson: Roster is "skewed"

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
He doesn't seem to care about much else. D-Lineman and Linebackers.

Everything else is just filler.
:roll:

Greg Jennings, James Jones, re-signed Donald Driver

aaaaaaaand you're done.

How come then we only ended up with one viable receiver (threat, playmaker, whatever) last year and the year before in the aspect of one player, Donald Driver?

As far as im concerned, these other guys are just unrealized potential at this point.

What happened to Jennings last year?

You gotta have something better than that! :roll:

That's why I think TT's use (or non-use) of FA is flawed.

A good, savvy veteran WR last year would have helped the Packers tremendously.

(I know, i know. "There was nobody out there, they we're all over-priced, and they were not that good". That's the standard defense/argument, isn't it? Well. I don't buy it. )

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Fuzznuts said:
He doesn't seem to care about much else. D-Lineman and Linebackers.

Everything else is just filler.
:roll:

Greg Jennings, James Jones, re-signed Donald Driver

aaaaaaaand you're done.

How come then we only ended up with one viable receiver (threat, playmaker, whatever) last year and the year before in the aspect of one player, Donald Driver?

As far as im concerned, these other guys are just unrealized potential at this point.

What happened to Jennings last year?

You gotta have something better than that! :roll:
Jennings was hurt last year. He's back 100% now. That should make a BIG difference. And Jones has been pretty good so far too. I think the WR's are gonna do some damage this year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
(I know, i know. "There was nobody out there, they we're all over-priced, and they were not that good". That's the standard defense/argument, isn't it? Well. I don't buy it. )
Some don't know a good deal versus a bad deal. It's not an argument, its fact.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern on how the numbers add up is only 2 TE's. While I agree that the 2 released were not worthy of a roster spot, they should have had better competition at this position. If one gets injured, the 2 TE package plays are out of the book for at least the remainder of that game, which will limit the offense and possibly hurt the running game as well.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern on how the numbers add up is only 2 TE's. While I agree that the 2 released were not worthy of a roster spot, they should have had better competition at this position. If one gets injured, the 2 TE package plays are out of the book for at least the remainder of that game, which will limit the offense and possibly hurt the running game as well.

Maybe 1 of TT 11 D linemen can play TE :lol:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Read between the tea leaves here guys.. this roster is skewed because we have quality at DT and CB... a wise bet is that we are playing a bit of poker here in the early weeks in order for someone to pay us a nice return on the surplus at DT. Say a value draft pick or a player that can fill an immediate need.

My guess the our imbalance and say maybe Denver's imbalance at RB are related a bit. Denver is short on the D-line and have a chip in which we are short in terms of Backfield production and experience. Neither side is blinking nor talking in the media at this time... just seems too much other than a coincidence...

Say Cole for Bell ... both sides are asking for more at this point because the other is hurting in the position.. probably us moreso than them...

HIGH PRICED GAME OF CHICKEN.... IMO.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Fuzznuts said:
Right, and he hasn't really focused on the D-Line and LB corps almost to the exclusion of all else, right?

That is the Packers strongest area, wouldn't you agree?

(You can't play 5 or 6 LB'ers. But it is the area he's concentrated on the most in the last 3 years. And I bet he signs another one this year before he's through. )

Funny how you can take one of the most promising parts of this team, one of the things that we as Packer fans take pride in, and turn it into something that TT has screwed up.

Talk about tunnel vision.......

You talk about tunnel vision, because you have it. It's called seeing the big picture, son.

Something that you and others fail to do.

Imo, TT is a collector of talent with a hyper-focus on defense. So much so that he basically has neglected the offense for years so that he can build his precious defense. Look at the O-Line, WR, TE situations in '05 and '06, and now, look at the RB situation today in '07. That is, if you can take off your 'TT colored' glasses for about 5 mins.

It takes a whole team to win, and I think that Thompson has not been particularly good at addressing the whole team, especially the offense. Now, I'm not saying that he's not building a good defense, that seems to be his forte. But he has a penchant for trying to throw things against the wall to see if they'll stick, when it comes to the offense.

What I am saying as well is that trying to piece together an o-line with castoffs and rookie talent in '05, not going after any FA WR's, TE's in '06, and now not going after any RB's, TE's, and at least one veteran FA WR in '07 is neglecting the offense and his duties as GM in my book, and once again it's going to bite him, and us, in the *** this year again! :evil:

Now that's my opinion Sonny, and if you don't like it, you don't have to attack me personally, just don't subscribe to it, and we'll see who's right in the end.

But I know it's going to be me! :rotflmao:

I get a kick out of people who try to describe a team inherited by a GM as "their team" as if he kicked all 53 players off and brought all new guys on in '05.
It was TT's fault the cap was so badly mismanaged he couldn't breath or that apparantly the contracts of Wahle and Rivera were sealed documents that Sherman was not aware of the dates of expiration.
Sherman had no plan on how to deal with these guys nor did he have a respectable backup player to step in. Just "here you go Ted, deal with it."
But of course Ted was just supposed to go "****" there, it's fixed.

The irony of it is we have people here like you *****in' about how TT handled the offensive line situation and yet here were are today in much better shape than had he pulled some rabbit out of his hat and kept the old guys.

Of course we have people like you *****in' anyhow about the transformation of a defense that is ten-fold better than it was when TT got here.

This same recipe is what allowed Chicago to pass us by and take over the North. There's no big mystery here. By '05, to a man, their defense was better than ours.

But of course "in the end you know you will be right." Right?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read between the tea leaves here guys.. this roster is skewed because we have quality at DT and CB... a wise bet is that we are playing a bit of poker here in the early weeks in order for someone to pay us a nice return on the surplus at DT. Say a value draft pick or a player that can fill an immediate need.

My guess the our imbalance and say maybe Denver's imbalance at RB are related a bit. Denver is short on the D-line and have a chip in which we are short in terms of Backfield production and experience. Neither side is blinking nor talking in the media at this time... just seems too much other than a coincidence...

Say Cole for Bell ... both sides are asking for more at this point because the other is hurting in the position.. probably us moreso than them...

HIGH PRICED GAME OF CHICKEN.... IMO.

I hope you are right, and eventually a deal is done and Bell is a Packer.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get a kick out of people who try to describe a team inherited by a GM as "their team" as if he kicked all 53 players off and brought all new guys on in '05.
It was TT's fault the cap was so badly mismanaged he couldn't breath or that apparantly the contracts of Wahle and Rivera were sealed documents that Sherman was not aware of the dates of expiration.
Sherman had no plan on how to deal with these guys nor did he have a respectable backup player to step in. Just "here you go Ted, deal with it."

The irony of it is we have people here like you *****in' about how TT handled the offensive line situation and yet here were are today in much better shape than had he pulled some rabbit out of his hat and kept the old guys.

Of course we have people like you *****in' anyhow about the transformation of a defense that is ten-fold better than it was when TT got here.

This same recipe is what allowed Chicago to pass us by and take over the North. There's no big mystery here. By '05, to a man, their defense was better than ours.

Wow! Are we still crying about TT's decisions being Sherman's fault? Just how long does it take for a team to be considered TT's?
TT has had plenty of time to replace the weak areas of the team. He's had a great salary cap situation for the past couple of years with plenty of money to improve the team. The only significantly pricey FAs to come in have been on defense: Pickett, Manuel and Woodson.

Now he has done a nice job of revamping/building the defense, but there is no doubt that the offense has largely been ignored. The only area of the offense to see improvement over time is the OL, but that's because it was such a disaster during TT's first year.

Sherman made a ton of mistakes and held the team back in the long run, but TT has had plenty of time on the job. It's time to stop giving TT a pass because of Sherman's mistakes.

GO PACK GO!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

Wow! Are we still crying about TT's decisions being Sherman's fault? Just how long does it take for a team to be considered TT's?
TT has had plenty of time to replace the weak areas of the team. He's had a great salary cap situation for the past couple of years with plenty of money to improve the team. The only significantly pricey FAs to come in have been on defense: Pickett, Manuel and Woodson.

Now he has done a nice job of revamping/building the defense, but there is no doubt that the offense has largely been ignored. The only area of the offense to see improvement over time is the OL, but that's because it was such a disaster during TT's first year.

Sherman made a ton of mistakes and held the team back in the long run, but TT has had plenty of time on the job. It's time to stop giving TT a pass because of Sherman's mistakes.

GO PACK GO!!!

This wasn't a pass for TT. The post was in response to a post that nailed TT for problems with the '05 offensive line and yes, it was a disaster, but not one he created.

You say TT has "had plenty of time" yet we all know the entire offensive line was going to have to be overhauled anyways (forced or otherwise) and the defense was a pathetic mess.

One way or the other the Roman's, Carrolls, Lenon's, Digg's, weak or aging DLinemen, Longwell's, BJ's, Flannigans, Wahle's, Rivera's, Green's, Hendersons, and, the fact we didn't have a single player on the roster to back one of these guys up did have to be addressed.

I'm not as convinced that TT has had "plenty of time" to address everything that has had to be realistically faced. It's getting there but I can also understand why, for example, we may not have the RB position shored up quite yet.

Of course there are posters here who foolishly look at the '05 roster with some dream we were 3 or 4 impact players from a championship. So, for them, I'm sure it's been more than enough time.

I know this. This years 53 going in makes '05 look sick. RB or no RB.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Yeah, I just honestly feel that if we would have made a little more of a significant move for a running back, or at least a FB and TE, we would be serious contenders. I feel like our potential to have a sub-par running game takes us out of consideration for winning the super bowl this year, when we otherwise have the ability.

I do have faith in Morency and Jackson, but I am a bit pessimistic. I'm not going to blindly believe that they will excel because they haven't proven to me that they can stay healthy and be productive. Of course, after 3-5 weeks of the regular season, I will know for sure.

Either way, I feel like the Packers are a few pieces away from being a championship team!!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well this much can be said, the current players at RB and FB cannot be blamed on Sherman... he hasn't been GM here since 04'... and the success or failure of the backfield is fair game for debate.

We have overhauled the roster already.. now it is time to see where we are THIS year and go from there...

PLEASE let this be the last thread in debate of whether it is Ted's fault or Mikey's fault. Pretty damn soon someone is going to blame Tom Braatz for something on this years roster...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This wasn't a pass for TT. The post was in response to a post that nailed TT for problems with the '05 offensive line and yes, it was a disaster, but not one he created.

You say TT has "had plenty of time" yet we all know the entire offensive line was going to have to be overhauled anyways (forced or otherwise) and the defense was a pathetic mess.

One way or the other the Roman's, Carrolls, Lenon's, Digg's, weak or aging DLinemen, Longwell's, BJ's, Flannigans, Wahle's, Rivera's, Green's, Hendersons, and, the fact we didn't have a single player on the roster to back one of these guys up did have to be addressed.

I'm not as convinced that TT has had "plenty of time" to address everything that has had to be realistically faced. It's getting there but I can also understand why, for example, we may not have the RB position shored up quite yet.

Of course there are posters here who foolishly look at the '05 roster with some dream we were 3 or 4 impact players from a championship. So, for them, I'm sure it's been more than enough time.

I know this. This years 53 going in makes '05 look sick. RB or no RB.

Fair enough, I did miss the point about '05 OL mess. But I'm so tired of TT getting a pass due to Sherman's mistakes.

Fact is that TT has largely ignored the problems on offense and focused on rebuilding the defense. We had millions of cap space this offseason and only 1 cheap FA was signed -- a backup CB (Walker)! We had obvious issues at TE and RB with concerns at WR. These problems were made worse by the injuries at RB.

Why not take a little of the cap space to sign an offensive FA? Was the market really that bad that he couldn't find anyone (other than draft picks) to improve the offense? These are valid arguments.

Rant aside, I really do like the wealth of young talent on this roster. Our defense is looking strong and our offense should be able to score, but shouldn't need to carry the team anymore. The biggest area of concern to me right now is actually special teams, but I'm looking forward to this team!

GO PACK GO!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this much can be said, the current players at RB and FB cannot be blamed on Sherman... he hasn't been GM here since 04'... and the success or failure of the backfield is fair game for debate.

We have overhauled the roster already.. now it is time to see where we are THIS year and go from there...

PLEASE let this be the last thread in debate of whether it is Ted's fault or Mikey's fault. Pretty damn soon someone is going to blame Tom Braatz for something on this years roster...

The RB situation has changed drastically this year with the exodus of Green and Henderson that was inevitable. It's another area, in a series of areas, that has had to be addressed.

I would rather we give the GM the chance, like he has in other areas, to properly address the issues at hand. He cannot help the fact that Green or Henderson got older or were offered a rediculous amount of money.

It's a little early to start "debating" anything about our RB's to this point when they have not seen anything resembling a hole to run thru yet. If anything the fault to date lies with the "0" line but to their credit we haven't loaded the gun with real bullits yet.

So many here ready to condemn people and declare failure before whatever response to the ever changing circumstances have even been set in motion.

A young Green and Henderson would be great and I can't wait to see who emerges in their footsteps. I, for one, believe if we can get that much better on defense and come out on top with an "0" line like we have this should not be any insurmountable task by any means.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I just honestly feel that if we would have made a little more of a significant move for a running back, or at least a FB and TE, we would be serious contenders. I feel like our potential to have a sub-par running game takes us out of consideration for winning the super bowl this year, when we otherwise have the ability.

I do have faith in Morency and Jackson, but I am a bit pessimistic. I'm not going to blindly believe that they will excel because they haven't proven to me that they can stay healthy and be productive. Of course, after 3-5 weeks of the regular season, I will know for sure.

Either way, I feel like the Packers are a few pieces away from being a championship team!!

I just do not understand why a GM would have so little experience at the skill positions on offense. And if a team is so deep at one position, why keep adding more players at the deepest position on the team, when the team has so many needs, and the GM passes those needs over.

11 defensive linemen, a bunch of injured young RB, no backup TE, and DD is hurt, without DD the Pack has very little experience at WR. It is just the facts, not being negative, just calling it like it is. I hope for 9 wins, but the question is, can the packers run the ball? and it is a legit question and concern. anybody who says it is not, is just being silly.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea running through this thread that I don't agree with is that Thompson has neglected the offense. I would agree that he has put more of an emphasis on the defense than the offense, but he's spent plenty of high draft picks on offensive players. The defense does look to be ahead of the offense right now, but that doesn't mean the effort hasn't been there toward improving the offense. Thompson hired an offensive-minded head coach, drafted the QB of the future in the first round, a second round RB, three second round WR's, and a bunch of O-linemen in rounds 2-5. Plus plenty of later round draft picks were spent on offensive players.

Besides, I think it is natural to build a team by beginning with an emphasis on the defense and the O-line. Thompson's plan generally makes sense to me. And let's not write off the 2007 offense just yet, either. I thought it looked good in the preseason, in spite of the problems running the ball. It's surprising to me how many fans are fixating on the negatives right now when there are so many positives with this team. I'm happy to be a fan of what looks to be an up-and-coming team.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The idea running through this thread that I don't agree with is that Thompson has neglected the offense. I would agree that he has put more of an emphasis on the defense than the offense, but he's spent plenty of high draft picks on offensive players. The defense does look to be ahead of the offense right now, but that doesn't mean the effort hasn't been there toward improving the offense. Thompson hired an offensive-minded head coach, drafted the QB of the future in the first round, a second round RB, three second round WR's, and a bunch of O-linemen in rounds 2-5. Plus plenty of later round draft picks were spent on offensive players.

Besides, I think it is natural to build a team by beginning with an emphasis on the defense and the O-line. Thompson's plan generally makes sense to me. And let's not write off the 2007 offense just yet, either. I thought it looked good in the preseason, in spite of the problems running the ball. It's surprising to me how many fans are fixating on the negatives right now when there are so many positives with this team. I'm happy to be a fan of what looks to be an up-and-coming team.

nobody is writting off the 2007 season, just commenting how the difference between a winning and losing season may revolve around the running attack. and if the GM is going to let a stud probowl multi 1000 yard RB out of GB,why did you not have some plan to replace him.

Brandon Jackson runs nothing like Green

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
For crying out loud, are we already blaming ted for the outcome of the upcoming season?
I know, i know.
Me, i'm waiting for the actual games to start! I really think we will be alot better then any of the so called "experts" think. But thats good. I LOVE the lack of expectations! It will make victory just that much sweeter!
And i LOVE the fact that Bubba Franks looks ready to be the player he was a few years ago when he was in the pro bowl.
As far as RB, i HOPE that Morency and Jackson can get the running game going. I DO think that Favre and the pass can set up the running game, if our WR's keep doing what they were in the preseason.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

nobody is writting off the 2007 season, just commenting how the difference between a winning and losing season may revolve around the running attack. and if the GM is going to let a stud probowl multi 1000 yard RB out of GB,why did you not have some plan to replace him.

I think Brandon Jackson has a lot in common with Green, as they are both one-cut runners who are perfect for the zone blocking scheme, and both of them excel at catching the ball out of the backfield. Jackson is still very green, and he needs to work on his blocking and some other fundamentals. Also, Jackson looks to have more wiggle than Green, but not as much power. One thing that's for sure is that Jackson is way ahead of where Ahman was at this point in his career, when he was fumbling his way into Mike Holmgren's doghouse in Seattle. Patience, patience. The guy hasn't even played a regular season game yet.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:

I think Brandon Jackson has a lot in common with Green, as they are both one-cut runners who are perfect for the zone blocking scheme, and both of them excel at catching the ball out of the backfield. Jackson is still very green, and he needs to work on his blocking and some other fundamentals. Also, Jackson looks to have more wiggle than Green, but not as much power. One thing that's for sure is that Jackson is way ahead of where Ahman was at this point in his career, when he was fumbling his way into Mike Holmgren's doghouse in Seattle. Patience, patience. The guy hasn't even played a regular season game yet.
Good post Greg. I think we have to see how Jackson does once the REAL games start. I think he will only get better as the season developes.

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 1 group that already blaming TT for the outcome of a season that hasn't been played yet and another group that is already making excuses for him.

I don't think it's hard to see what TT is trying to do. He is building a team from the center out. He wants a great core of players at the lines. and he's working his way outward from there. In that system the skill positions would be last in your hierarchy of importance so you would spend the least on them. He drafted Rodgers because he was a steal at our position but his M.O. has been to draft lineman and linebackers first. hence the "skewed" roster.
Yes, in my opinion RB is an area of concern. But, if the system that he is using to rebuild the team works like it's supposed to that concern should be lessened by a good O-line and strong D. TT isn't ignoring the skill positions as much as he is making them better by strengthening the core they work around and depend on.
Right now we have to watch and see how the plan unfolds. Decisions about a GM’s performance are decisions for the off season. At the end of the season I ‘m sure he will be heralded for his success or face the consequences for his failures.

Members online

Latest posts