The game vs the Patriots

LITP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel that the Patriots will approach this one in a similar way to the Colts game - there are some similarities in the opponent.

1. Tough away venue - noisy crowd
2. Very good QB (in Rodgers case we'll move this up to elite)
3. Not particularly physical on defence
4. Strong skills position players on offense.

I think we'll see the Patriots try and establish a power running game - perhaps we'll see a 3rd OT in at blocking TE to help win that battle up front.

This will hopefully open up play action passes and isolate TE/WR on LBers.

It will also, hopefully, limit the Green Bay T.O.P - you don't want Aaron and his WR get lots of opportunities to make that big play happen - because eventually it will happen.

I think the Patriots will try and go as light as possible on defence - the front 3 or 4 will be left to deal with the running game without too much help other than Patrick Chung coming down from SS now and then.

If Green Bay can't win up front vs this lighter front then it will put AR in a pretty tight position - you don't really want to be throwing into this Patriots D when they are in nickel or dime. Eddie Lacy is far superior to anything that the Colts could offer in the running game - the Patriots don't wrap up properly this guy will gash them repeatedly.

If the Packers win this battle then the Patriots will have to bring in an extra guy and AR will exploit the open spaces and mismatches.

Questions for Packers fans:

1. Do you see much of the FB (John Kuhn) in regular running plays?

2. Are the Packers a finesse team on 3rd and short? Or will they trust Lacy + O-line to get the job done?

3. Who is the most consistent QB pressurizer on the D?

4. Who is the 'big play guy' on defence that can turn a game around?

5. What are the GB safeties like? Are they stronger in run support or pass defence?

6. What are the GB NT/DT's like? Are they highly regarded? If so, what for?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I feel that the Patriots will approach this one in a similar way to the Colts game - there are some similarities in the opponent.

I think we'll see the Patriots try and establish a power running game - perhaps we'll see a 3rd OT in at blocking TE to help win that battle up front.

It will also, hopefully, limit the Green Bay T.O.P - you don't want Aaron and his WR get lots of opportunities to make that big play happen - because eventually it will happen.

I think the Patriots will try and go as light as possible on defence - the front 3 or 4 will be left to deal with the running game without too much help other than Patrick Chung coming down from SS now and then.

If Green Bay can't win up front vs this lighter front then it will put AR in a pretty tight position - you don't really want to be throwing into this Patriots D when they are in nickel or dime. Eddie Lacy is far superior to anything that the Colts could offer in the running game - the Patriots don't wrap up properly this guy will gash them repeatedly.

If the Packers win this battle then the Patriots will have to bring in an extra guy and AR will exploit the open spaces and mismatches.

2. Are the Packers a finesse team on 3rd and short? Or will they trust Lacy + O-line to get the job done?

5. What are the GB safeties like? Are they stronger in run support or pass defence?

Is that you Mr Belichek ?????

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to note that, by Football Outsiders DVOA, the Packers and Pats defenses are nearly identical, with the Pats a slight edge. Against the pass NE ranks 12th, we rank 13th. Against the run NE ranks 17th, we are 22nd.

This could be the Richard Rogers (or Quarless) game: NE ranks 30th in the league defending against tight ends. Look for a dominant performance by our tight ends to be a key in this win.

BTW, the vaunted and feared NE rush offense ranks 20th in the league, compared to our no. 8 ranked rushing offense. NE has the no. 2 ranked passing game, to our no. 3.

It's going to come down to our ability to pressure Brady so far as our defense is concerned. We get the lead, and run out the clock in the end.

Packers 37
NE 27

Executus9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the last 2 seasons your Green Bay Packers are 1-6 against playoff teams.

Through the last 28 games, your Green Bay Packers have won 1 single game at home at Lambeau against a team with a winning record
- The 2014 Philadelphia Eagles led by Mark Sanchez :D

Last year the Packers were 0-4 against teams with a winning record, this year the Packers have had 4 big games, they got crushed in 3 of them.

Meanwhile, through the last 2 seasons the Patriots are 9-3 against playoff teams. They have beaten 6 division leaders this year alone.

It's pretty clear that the Packers have not been tested as much as the Patriots, and when they have, they have struggled. Anyone could happen on Sunday, and I would not be surprised if the Packers won, however, one might question if Packers can rise to the occasion when facing a real opponent. Because so far the Packers have spend most of the time beating up on inferior opponents at home.

I'm fully aware of the fact that I've just opened Pandora's box, and I fully understand that Packers fans are a proud bunch. I respect your franchise and everything you have succeeded over the years, but this is a legitimate and completely fair observation, therefore, I hope you can respond in a relevant and polite manner instead of getting too emotional.

D

Deleted member 6794

There should be absolutely no way a LB has to cover a WR. In this game I don´t want to see any of our ILBs (aside of Matthews maybe) near a TE either.

1. With the emergence of Lacy as a three down back Kuhn doesn´t play a whole lot anymore. The Packers used him more last week vs. the Vikings though.

2. It seems like McCarthy is starting to trust Lacy and the OL on third and short. The team ran out the clock vs. Minnesota last week.

3. Peppers and Matthews are the best pass rushers.

4. In addition to those guys mentioned earlier Casey Hayward is a big play guy.

5. The safety play has improved dramatically compared to last season. Burnett and Richardson are pretty good in run support, the whole unit has improved vs. the pass as well though.

6. Nothing special about our NTs as the position is probably the worst on defence behind ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure about how you come up with the stat, according to my knowledge the Packers are 2-7 vs. playoff teams in 2012 and 2013 (there´s no way to include this season as we don´t know who´s going to make the playoffs). While that record isn´t great by any means the Packers were pretty competitive in all of these games losing all of them within a score when Rodgers was playing and actually should have won another one in Seattle in 2012.

Through the last 28 games, your Green Bay Packers have won 1 single game at home at Lambeau against a team with a winning record. The 2014 Philadelphia Eagles led by Mark Sanchez :D

What you didn´t mention though is that the Packers have played only two games against teams that finished the season with a winning record at Lambeau over the past 28 games, going 1-1 vs. the Eagles (the one loss coming with Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien at QB).

Meanwhile, through the last 2 seasons the Patriots are 9-3 against playoff teams. They have beaten 6 division leaders this year alone.

Patriots are 5-5 vs. playoff teams in 2012 and 2013.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

Usually in short yardage situations.

They have been classified as a finesse team. But Lacy is certainly a bruiser. I think our WRs can deal with some physical play up front though which they have every reason to expect on Sunday.

Peppers, Matthews and Daniels in that order.

We have some pretty solid Corner Backs. Not sure if anyone stands out. The defense as a whole has a very nice turnover ratio of +6. It's something they make a particular point of doing well. 15 int on the year so far and it's pretty evenly distributed.

This is an area I'll let other more knowledgeable fans comment on.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Usually in short yardage situations.

They have been classified as a finesse team. But Lacy is certainly a bruiser. I think our WRs can deal with some physical play up front though which they have every reason to expect on Sunday.

Peppers, Matthews and Daniels in that order.

We have some pretty solid Corner Backs. Not sure if anyone stands out. The defense as a whole has a very nice turnover ratio of +6. It's something they make a particular point of doing well. 15 int on the year so far and it's pretty evenly distributed.

Aww crap....Now they know what to do !!! :mad:

Executus9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure about how you come up with the stat, according to my knowledge the Packers are 2-7 vs. playoff teams in 2012 and 2013 (there´s no way to include this season as we don´t know who´s going to make the playoffs). While that record isn´t great by any means the Packers were pretty competitive in all of these games losing all of them within a score when Rodgers was playing and actually should have won another one in Seattle in 2012.

What you didn´t mention though is that the Packers have played only two games against teams that finished the season with a winning record at Lambeau over the past 28 games, going 1-1 vs. the Eagles (the one loss coming with Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien at QB).

Patriots are 5-5 vs. playoff teams in 2012 and 2013.

It makes no sense suddenly bringing in 2012 to make you feel better. And even if you do, there is still a significant difference in how the 2 teams perform against above average teams. For every year you go back, the rosters and the teams change. I looked at the 2014 season as my main objective, a season in which the Patriots have been tested way more than the Packers. The Packers have played 4 big games this year, @Sea, @Cin, @Detroit and Eagles. They were outplayed pretty badly in 3 of them. So I just wanted to see if it was something they had problems with last year. I looked up how they fared against teams with a winning record last year. They were 0-4( as you correctly stated, 0-3 with Rodgers as the starter). I think it's a fair observation and a legitimate reason for concern.

The overall picture does not change at all, whether it's 1-6, 2-7, if you bring in 2012(how odd that might be), the conclusion is pretty clear: The Packers struggle against above average competition. Furthermore, over the course of the last 2 seasons they have played fewer teams with a winning record than New England. Hence, they have been tested less.

D

Deleted member 6794

It makes no sense suddenly bringing in 2012 to make you feel better. And even if you do, there is still a significant difference in how the 2 teams perform against above average teams. For every year you go back, the rosters and the teams change. I looked at the 2014 season as my main objective, a season in which the Patriots have been tested way more than the Packers. The Packers have played 4 big games this year, @Sea, @Cin, @Detroit and Eagles. They were outplayed pretty badly in 3 of them. So I just wanted to see if it was something they had problems with last year. I looked up how they fared against teams with a winning record last year. They were 0-4( as you correctly stated, 0-3 with Rodgers as the starter). I think it's a fair observation and a legitimate reason for concern.

The overall picture does not change at all, whether it's 1-6, 2-7, if you bring in 2012(how odd that might be), the conclusion is pretty clear: The Packers struggle against above average competition. Furthermore, over the course of the last 2 seasons they have played fewer teams with a winning record than New England. Hence, they have been tested less.

Well, you started the conversation by taking the last two seasons into consideration. I don´t know how you can come up with record vs. playoff teams including this season as we don´t know which teams will make the playoffs.

In addition to that we haven´t played at Cincinnati this season. Last year we were 0-3 in the regular season vs. teams with a winning record.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Even though they have Lacy, the Packers still pass on third and short consistently.

With Rodgers as QB, the odds of picking up the first through the air are probably just as good.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even though they have Lacy, the Packers still pass on third and short consistently.

With Rodgers as QB, the odds of picking up the first through the air are probably just as good.

True, the Packers have passed 17 times on 3rd and three or less yards resulting in 10 first downs (58.8%). They´ve run the ball in the same situation 15 times resulting in nine first downs (60%).

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Through the last 28 games, your Green Bay Packers have won 1 single game at home at Lambeau against a team with a winning record
- The 2014 Philadelphia Eagles led by Mark Sanchez :D

Last year the Packers were 0-4 against teams with a winning record, this year the Packers have had 4 big games, they got crushed in 3 of them.

It's pretty clear that the Packers have not been tested as much as the Patriots, and when they have, they have struggled. Anyone could happen on Sunday, and I would not be surprised if the Packers won, however, one might question if Packers can rise to the occasion when facing a real opponent. Because so far the Packers have spend most of the time beating up on inferior opponents at home.

I'm fully aware of the fact that I've just opened Pandora's box, and I fully understand that Packers fans are a proud bunch. I respect your franchise and everything you have succeeded over the years, but this is a legitimate and completely fair observation, therefore, I hope you can respond in a relevant and polite manner instead of getting too emotional.

Well, just looking at common opponents this season the Packers don't look so bad in comparison.

Both teams played at Miami. The Pats lost 33-20, the Pack won 27-24.

They both had close wins over the Jets at home. But the Packers won by 7 and the Patriots by only two.

They both put over 50 at home on Da Bears but the Packers had the larger margin 55-14 to 51-23.

New England dominated at Minnesota while the Packers played down to the opponent and had a closer 24-21 margin there last week. However the Packers did dominate at Lambeau 42-10.

The Packers lost at Detroit, the Patriots beat the Lions at Foxboro.

The Patriots took a 41-14 beat down in Kansas City. The Packers lost big at Seattle 36-16 and in New Orleans 44-23.

I would say the Pack's 53-23 win over Philly is at least equivalent to the Pats' wins over the Bengals, Colts or Broncos. Denver suddenly isn't looking so great. And the Patriots did get the Cincinnati and Denver games on their field.

As for being tested; the Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl in ten years, the Packers got one only 4 years ago. The Pats haven't come up big in the last two AFC title games; losing last year to the Broncos 26-16 and the previous season to Baltimore 28-13 in Foxboro.

And I'm surprised a Patriots fan would disrespect Mark Sanchez. He is, after all, the quarterback who beat your team in the playoffs in 2010 as a Jet.

Last edited:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Well, just looking at common opponents this season the Packers don't look so bad in comparison.

They both had close wins over the Jets at home.

They both put over 50 at home on Da Bears

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Here’s a good read for any over-confident Packers fans: Patriots secondary poses a tough challenge for Packers
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...llenge-for-packers-b99397925z1-284047751.html
"I'm going to run my routes on whoever it is and do my best to get open, and (hope) Aaron sees it," Adams said.

That is in response to possibly taking advantage of Nelson and Cobb being shut down and making the Pats pay for the extra attention they will give to do it.

Well, ya, Rodgers will see it but will you catch it? That's the question.

TB3XSBW

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They both had close wins over the Jets at home.

They both put over 50 at home on Da Bears but the Packers had the larger margin 55-14 to 51-23.

New England dominated at Minnesota while the Packers played down to the opponent and had a closer 24-21 margin there last week. However the Packers did dominate at Lambeau 42-10.

The Packers lost at Detroit, the Patriots beat the Lions at Foxboro.

The Patriots took a 41-14 beat down in Kansas City. The Packers lost big at Seattle 36-16 and in New Orleans 44-23.

I would say the Pack's 53-23 win over Philly is at least equivalent to the Pats' wins over the Bengals, Colts or Broncos. Denver suddenly isn't looking so great. And the Patriots did get the Cincinnati and Denver games on their field.

As for being tested; the Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl in ten years, the Packers got one only 4 years ago. The Pats haven't come up big in the last two AFC title games; losing last year to the Broncos 26-16 and the previous season to Baltimore 28-13 in Foxboro.

And I'm surprised a Patriots fan would disrespect Mark Sanchez. He is, after all, the quarterback who beat your team in the playoffs in 2010 as a Jet.

Colts, Broncos, Bengals, Lions, are better than any team you've beaten this season.

You won 1 SB 4 years ago and had a bunch of miserable playoff performances since. If you're going to bring up NE's failures in the SB and AFCCG - at least we've gotten there consistently. Meanwhile, Rodgers is probably less clutch than Peyton given his lack of GWDs, 4th quarter QB rating, and playoff record.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Colts, Broncos, Bengals, Lions, are better than any team you've beaten this season.

You won 1 SB 4 years ago and had a bunch of miserable playoff performances since. If you're going to bring up NE's failures in the SB and AFCCG - at least we've gotten there consistently. Meanwhile, Rodgers is probably less clutch than Peyton given his lack of GWDs, 4th quarter QB rating, and playoff record.
BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I'm going to run my routes on whoever it is and do my best to get open, and (hope) Aaron sees it," Adams said.

That is in response to possibly taking advantage of Nelson and Cobb being shut down and making the Pats pay for the extra attention they will give to do it.

Well, ya, Rodgers will see it but will you catch it? That's the question.
Adams got stepped-on at practice Wednesday and is a bit gimpy. Hopefully he's ready to roll on Sunday, because we need a solid 3rd option, assuming NE takes-away Jordy and/or Cobb w/ double coverage. Hoping Quarless or Rodgers steps up underneath and catches 6 or 8 balls to help soften the underneath a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts