The Big Choice

Which option do you want the Packers to pursue?

• Kick the cap can down the road and try to run it back.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Gut the roster, take your cap medicine, and usher in the new era.

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My preference is leaning just ever so slightly towards trading him, but my prediction is leaning towards him staying put.
Well if I thought it he would only be here for one year, then I'd favor trading him. I think Rodgers has 2 or 3 very good years left and I'd rather he stays under those circumstances. We finally have a D that can keep us in games, maybe even win games. I'd like to see GB take advantage of that. It would not break my heart if they traded him. The Packers have broken our collective heart too many times already. There's not much left to break.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am in the boat of if Rodgers is done, burn it all down and let a new era of greatness rise out of the ashes (hopefully greatness). I would rather get the inevitable rebuild over with sooner rather than later.

I'm definitely in favor of holding on to Rodgers as long as he's capable of performing at an elite level.

Oh there would be space. Trading Rodgers has an estimated savings of 19M or so.

Cut Z - $15M
Cut Turner - just shy of $5M
Cut Cobb - $2.78M
Cut Crosby - $2.34M turn that page at same time
Cut or rework Lowry - around $3-$4M
Extend Jaire - $7M-$10M depending how you structure it
Cut or extend Preston- $7M or less if extended

You are at $12M+ in the good now to the cap already...

Those moves would actually leave the Packers with more than $23 million of cap space but most likely with a terrible team.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm definitely in favor of holding on to Rodgers as long as he's capable of performing at an elite level.

Those moves would actually leave the Packers with more than $23 million of cap space but most likely with a terrible team.
I agree - I'd rather keep Rodgers as long as he's playing at this level. That probably means signing Adams as well (he wouldn't take kindly to being tagged for a year and losing around $5 mil). But then what? Does it mean gutting a defense that is approaching elite play? I don't know the answer. In spite of his shortcomings in the playoffs, I feel a lot better about winning games with Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Dillon and the OL.

That's just how I feel. It would make more sense to trade Rodgers and at the same time tag and trade Adams and get some draft capital and maybe a player or two. Elite Ds can win games. I think this is how it will play out. I just don't like thinking about a team without Rodgers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree - I'd rather keep Rodgers as long as he's playing at this level. That probably means signing Adams as well (he wouldn't take kindly to being tagged for a year and losing around $5 mil). But then what? Does it mean gutting a defense that is approaching elite play? I don't know the answer. In spite of his shortcomings in the playoffs, I feel a lot better about winning games with Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Dillon and the OL.

That's just how I feel. It would make more sense to trade Rodgers and at the same time tag and trade Adams and get some draft capital and maybe a player or two. Elite Ds can win games. I think this is how it will play out. I just don't like thinking about a team without Rodgers.
Rodgers with Adams (at 25 or less a year) would be my first choice but I'd be leery at 25 and i think that's about what he'll get.

Rodgers without Adams my second (see comment below)

Adams without Rodgers I would not like at all at the money Adams will get. (see comment below)

Side note, what do you all think Godwin will get? there are some pretty decent WRs on that list that tyni posted and even some he didn't list. Its a better list than I've seen at FA WR for a few years. We could get 2 maybe even three of them for what Adams will get and we have all seen what an elite WR with no one else can do.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers with Adams (at 25 or less a year) would be my first choice but I'd be leery at 25 and i think that's about what he'll get.

Rodgers without Adams my second (see comment below)

Adams without Rodgers I would not like at all at the money Adams will get. (see comment below)

Side note, what do you all think Godwin will get? there are some pretty decent WRs on that list that tyni posted and even some he didn't list. Its a better list than I've seen at FA WR for a few years. We could get 2 maybe even three of them for what Adams will get and we have all seen what an elite WR with no one else can do.
You and I are in agreement. I don't like to see a WR get $25 mil, but someone, maybe GB, will give it to him. And yeah, Adams without Rodgers is a non-starter. We're 7-0 in games without him. We know who the MVP is.

But Godwin is intriguing and I haven't seen the FA list of WRs. Only problem with Godwin is he's probably out for at least 6 to 8 weeks with the ACL tear. But if we trade Rodgers and Adams, keep and add other players, put the finishing touches on an elite D, it might be worth the wait.

On another note - I've heard that Denver and Tennessee are possible landing spots for Rodgers. What about Tampa Bay? The draft picks would all be late first round, but maybe if the deal includes Devin White and or one of their D lineman - who knows?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgot Godwins injury. I wasn't so much thinking of him for GB. I think he'll probably land the 2nd or 3rd highest contract behind Adams and Robinson.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Poppa! Yikes they have Adams' market value at $25.8 mil. He won't take kindly to being tagged at $20 mil, losing $5 mil in earnings. Assuming Adams goes (or stays) where Rodgers goes (or stays), that's about a third of the cap on two players (assuming Rodgers is in the $45-$50 mil range). I just don't see how the Packers can keep them and not gut the rest of the team they've worked so hard to build. At this point, and given the team's continued failures to advance to a SB, maybe it's time to retool (not rebuild) around an elite defense, at least average STs, and an offense with a heavy focus on the run. That means using the draft on the DL, OL, WR, and maybe a S.

It also means Love is under center. Well Rodgers looked lousy his first year, so I guess ya gotta give Love a chance. If he does fail, the team could use draft picks from a Rodgers/Adams trade to move up and grab a QB in 2023. From what I hear, the 2023 draft is much better for QBs.

In the meantime, even without Rodgers and Adams, it's a pretty solid team. Maybe Love surprises us. I'd love to keep Rodgers and Adams. Just don't see how that's possible.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It also means Love is under center. Well Rodgers looked lousy his first year, so I guess ya gotta give Love a chance.
Posters here and elsewhere will also conveniently forget AR12 had Jordy, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Finley and Driver to throw to his first year. Love ATM will have his running backs. I expect some of Lazard, MVS, Cobb, EQ, Tonyan to also be on the roster along with some draftees. The future will show if they develop even close to the previous group.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posters here and elsewhere will also conveniently forget AR12 had Jordy, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Finley and Driver to throw to his first year. Love ATM will have his running backs. I expect some of Lazard, MVS, Cobb, EQ, Tonyan to also be on the roster along with some draftees. The future will show if they develop even close to the previous group.

Love will not be starting in 2022 for the Packers...Rodgers is clearly coming back on an extension. His mvp speech only further cemented that speculation. Obviously the money still has to be worked out and thats big

But yes Rodgers used to have real deal weapons not just one guy. The Packers won the Superbowl when they had 3/4 wrs who could be considered starting caliber

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those were some awesome receivers. I really don't expect Tonyan or Cobb to be on the roster - although at the right price, they might keep Cobb just to make sure Love has someone who can reliably get open, at least for short passes.

But yeah, the weaker the WR, the stronger the QB needs to be. It's not gonna help Love's confidence to throw to a bunch of guys who require surgical precision to get them the ball.

Nobody seems to be talking about this, but Kyler Murray seems pretty unhappy in AZ. I'm not gonna speculate about if or how he gets to GB. I'd just feel better with him at QB than Love. And yeah, I'm thinking #12 and #17 are not gonna be back.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's much more likely Tonyan is on this roster before Cobb would be next year.

If Cobb is in GB itll be on a more salary cap friendly contract...unfortunately for Tonyan becas of the injury I dont see him getting much interest especially not any big money interest

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's much more likely Tonyan is on this roster before Cobb would be next year.
If they keep Rodgers and Adams, can they afford Tonyan? I think he's the best TE they've had since Finley, and those are hard to find. And would he be back for the opener? I don't remember when he tore his ACL. Thought it was earlier in the season.

Anyway, yeah Tonyan is a no brainer over Cobb. I think Cobb's career is about over.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Poppa! Yikes they have Adams' market value at $25.8 mil. He won't take kindly to being tagged at $20 mil, losing $5 mil in earnings. Assuming Adams goes (or stays) where Rodgers goes (or stays), that's about a third of the cap on two players (assuming Rodgers is in the $45-$50 mil range). I just don't see how the Packers can keep them and not gut the rest of the team they've worked so hard to build. At this point, and given the team's continued failures to advance to a SB, maybe it's time to retool (not rebuild) around an elite defense, at least average STs, and an offense with a heavy focus on the run. That means using the draft on the DL, OL, WR, and maybe a S.

It also means Love is under center. Well Rodgers looked lousy his first year, so I guess ya gotta give Love a chance. If he does fail, the team could use draft picks from a Rodgers/Adams trade to move up and grab a QB in 2023. From what I hear, the 2023 draft is much better for QBs.

In the meantime, even without Rodgers and Adams, it's a pretty solid team. Maybe Love surprises us. I'd love to keep Rodgers and Adams. Just don't see how that's possible.

Your thoughts?
If they don't both stay I'd say the odds of Adams and Rodgers going to the same team are lower than the odds of them going to different teams. Everyone seems to think they are tied at the hip but Rodgers is going to be selective of where he goes whereas I think Adams takes the money. If the the Packers tag him my guess is he signs the tag and they work out a long term deal later on. My gut says last year was not the last dance with Rodgers and Adams in Green Bay. I think they will kick the can and get them both back.

Nobody seems to be talking about this, but Kyler Murray seems pretty unhappy in AZ. I'm not gonna speculate about if or how he gets to GB. I'd just feel better with him at QB than Love. And yeah, I'm thinking #12 and #17 are not gonna be back.
You base this on what? he deleted all his social media stuff. maybe he just got a brain and realized that **** can be toxic. I haven't heard a single thing indicating he is unhappy.

If they keep Rodgers and Adams, can they afford Tonyan? I think he's the best TE they've had since Finley, and those are hard to find. And would he be back for the opener? I don't remember when he tore his ACL. Thought it was earlier in the season.

Anyway, yeah Tonyan is a no brainer over Cobb. I think Cobb's career is about over.
Assuming they work out a long term deal with Adam's, which I think they will do if they tag him, his first year cap hit won't be that bad. Certainly nowhere near the 25 million yearly average everyone is talking about. Probably closer to the 10-12 million dollar range. Same with Rodgers. With an extension they can probably get his cap number for 2022 down to 30 million.

By not that bad I'm talking about in general. For a team that close to 50 million over its still pretty bad.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don't both stay I'd say the odds of Adams and Rodgers going to the same team are lower than the odds of them going to different teams. Everyone seems to think they are tied at the hip but Rodgers is going to be selective of where he goes whereas I think Adams takes the money. If the the Packers tag him my guess is he signs the tag and they work out a long term deal later on. My gut says last year was not the last dance with Rodgers and Adams in Green Bay. I think they will kick the can and get them both back.

You base this on what? he deleted all his social media stuff. maybe he just got a brain and realized that **** can be toxic. I haven't heard a single thing indicating he is unhappy.

Assuming they work out a long term deal with Adam's, which I think they will do if they tag him, his first year cap hit won't be that bad. Certainly nowhere near the 25 million yearly average everyone is talking about. Probably closer to the 10-12 million dollar range. Same with Rodgers. With an extension they can probably get his cap number for 2022 down to 30 million.

By not that bad I'm talking about in general. For a team that close to 50 million over its still pretty bad.
I hope they both come back. The team will be competitive with them, that's for sure. They will lose players from last year, just a fact of life in the NFL. They could also trade both of them and build a team around an elite D. That wouldn't be as fun to watch as Rodgers. And as long as he's playing this well, pay the man and let's keep going.

As for Murray, it was just speculation. Gotta have some fun here, and stranger things have happened I suppose.

Interesting about how the cap hit in 2022 can be managed in a way to maybe make things work - that is, keeping Rodgers and Adams. But they've done this in the past. Does a team ever have to pay the price for at least the guaranteed money, or can they work it like the government, keep pushing out the due date? I don't know. Even so, the team is already $40 to $60 mil over the cap, depending on who is telling it, so a lot of high-priced and valuable talent will be lost.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they both come back. The team will be competitive with them, that's for sure. They will lose players from last year, just a fact of life in the NFL. They could also trade both of them and build a team around an elite D. That wouldn't be as fun to watch as Rodgers. And as long as he's playing this well, pay the man and let's keep going.

As for Murray, it was just speculation. Gotta have some fun here, and stranger things have happened I suppose.

Interesting about how the cap hit in 2022 can be managed in a way to maybe make things work - that is, keeping Rodgers and Adams. But they've done this in the past. Does a team ever have to pay the price for at least the guaranteed money, or can they work it like the government, keep pushing out the due date? I don't know. Even so, the team is already $40 to $60 mil over the cap, depending on who is telling it, so a lot of high-priced and valuable talent will be lost.
Eventually it all gets accounted for. The guaranteed part at least. There are creative ways to manipulate the cap but the piper does get paid. The Packers have been a little more cautious than some teams in the past but the last couple of years they seemed to be more willing to push money out. Part of that is probably due to covid, part may be due to Rodgers coming to the end of his career and part may be because everyone is expecting the cap to explode in 23,24 and maybe the Packers are banking on it doing just that.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers is one of my all-time top three favorite packers, but as long as i could get a first and second round pick plus a swap of third rounders, i am trading him. i'd also let adams walk and collect another third round pick. i'd also let z and bakh walk, which should net a couple fourths or at least a fourth and a fifth.

with all those extra picks and a few udfas, i think we could make a pretty big dent in the rebuild.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True however, I really don't want to be the team that has nothing or still fights to shave enough to meet it vs the teams that when that expansion hits can build their team very quickly and easier than us due to the cap growth in addition to their better fiscal management (better is relative to how you view contract decisions of course).
I agree. When talking about the rise in the cap you need to recognize that it rises for every team not just the Packers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can't "walk." You have to cut them for no or negative cap relief and no compensation or get a sucker to trade for their salaries.
You're correct. I think there's some cap relief to be had by releasing Z, but not Bakh. And if Bakh can recover from his know injury, and that seems like a big if, I'd want him on the team, even at 75% of his pre-injury self.

I still haven't seen a comprehensive analysis done of how GB keeps Rodgers and Adams without blowing up the D.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers is one of my all-time top three favorite packers, but as long as i could get a first and second round pick plus a swap of third rounders, i am trading him. i'd also let adams walk and collect another third round pick. i'd also let z and bakh walk, which should net a couple fourths or at least a fourth and a fifth.

with all those extra picks and a few udfas, i think we could make a pretty big dent in the rebuild.
Rodgers is worth 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, and probably a #2 or #3 WR. Denver seems like the best partner. I think they may tag Adams and try to work out an extension with him. I know he wants to play with Rodgers, but I think he'd like the money more.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love will not be starting in 2022 for the Packers...Rodgers is clearly coming back on an extension. His mvp speech only further cemented that speculation. Obviously the money still has to be worked out and thats big

But yes Rodgers used to have real deal weapons not just one guy. The Packers won the Superbowl when they had 3/4 wrs who could be considered starting caliber
Wow! That's not what I heard. During the last few games I felt like he was saying good-bye. His acceptance speech had a lot of past tense. Talking about what he and the team had done. I hope I'm wrong because I think he is our best option to have a chance at a winning team. But to me his speech sounded like good-bye.

Members online

Latest posts