Super Bowl LIII - Feb 3rd

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been said that you shouldn't bet against the GOAT. But I'm not betting on the game, so I'm going to pick the Rams to win. For two reasons:
1) I think they have the better team, talent-wise.
2) I've thought the top NFC teams have been stronger than the top AFC teams for awhile now. Which is one reason why the Packers haven't been able to break through. 49ers, Seahawks, Falcons, there's always been somebody better than them.

There's also the conspiracy theory that the NFL wants to push the LA market. Even so, it wouldn't surprise me if the Pats win, they have the better coach and QB, plus they have the Super Bowl experience. Should be a good game.

After last season (2017) I think we (myself included) were all convinced that the Packers were great mainly because of AR, due to how bad they were with Brett Hundley. However, this season kind of showed me that maybe 2017 wasn't that big of a fluke after all and it wasn't all because of no AR, but more that the Packers team was just on the decline.
That theory seems sound, but remember the Packers were 4-1 and looked like they were on a mission in 2017 when Rodgers got hurt. Makes you wonder if they were rolling along on hot air and confidence, which got punctured when Hundley took over. They never did regain their winning ways. Also, the offense hasn't seemed quite right in years.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Eh, I just can't see the Rams beating the Patriots and I am really really really sick of the Patriots. Really, I am. Patriots by two TDs whatever the score, really now.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is another Super Bowl where I don't want either team to win.... The other recent Super Bowl was Seahacks and Patriots.

A week away!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is another Super Bowl where I don't want either team to win.... The other recent Super Bowl was Seahacks and Patriots.

A week away!
A lesser of the two evils. In which I'm going with LA.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda want the Patriots to win just so those people who didn’t want McDaniels as HC are even more salty haha. I hate Tom Brady too much tho so....go Rams!!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rooting for the Rams all the way here but I don't dislike the Patriots as much as I did a few years ago. I've come to respect what they have built and lets face it they are doing exactly what we wish the Packers would be doing so how can you hold that against them?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda want the Patriots to win just so those people who didn’t want McDaniels as HC are even more salty haha. I hate Tom Brady too much tho so....go Rams!!
I wonder if McDaniels would have even taken the GB job if we had offered it? Or if Kraft might have interfered again and talked him out of it. It's also possible the Packer job was the only one he was interested in, since he announced he was staying in NE right after we hired LeFleur.

Rooting for the Rams all the way here but I don't dislike the Patriots as much as I did a few years ago. I've come to respect what they have built
I agree, I don't want to see Belichick pass Lombardi in NFL Championships, but it's apples and oranges at this point, and let's face it, most people don't remember the '60s anyway. While I don't like them, it's hard not to admire what they've built.

I think it would be entirely different however, if let's say we had gotten into the Super Bowl in 2015 instead of melting down against the Seahawks, and we ended up losing to the Patriots. Right now I'd probably be hating them with the fire of a thousand suns. But they've never really cost us anything, so there's no strong emotion there. In fact, Favre's Packers beat the Patriots for his lone Super Bowl win, so it's all sunshine and happiness.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if McDaniels would have even taken the GB job if we had offered it? Or if Kraft might have interfered again and talked him out of it. It's also possible the Packer job was the only one he was interested in, since he announced he was staying in NE right after we hired LeFleur.

I agree, I don't want to see Belichick pass Lombardi in NFL Championships, but it's apples and oranges at this point, and let's face it, most people don't remember the '60s anyway. While I don't like them, it's hard not to admire what they've built.

I think it would be entirely different however, if let's say we had gotten into the Super Bowl in 2015 instead of melting down against the Seahawks, and we ended up losing to the Patriots. Right now I'd probably be hating them with the fire of a thousand suns. But they've never really cost us anything, so there's no strong emotion there. In fact, Favre's Packers beat the Patriots for his lone Super Bowl win, so it's all sunshine and happiness.

I hate Tom Brady, I want them to get destroyed and him to leave.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I read somewhere the other day that Tom Brady was dead last among quarterbacks against the blitz this year. They need to make his dusty *** feel some pain and he'll fold like a banquet chair.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I read somewhere the other day that Tom Brady was dead last among quarterbacks against the blitz this year. They need to make his dusty *** feel some pain and he'll fold like a banquet chair.

First they’ll have to get penetration in less than 2-3 seconds ..., which is hard ...

Second, How many blitz packages have Brady faced, and How many resulted in an actual sack ?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't like them, it's hard not to admire what they've built.

Yeah, Its not at all like my dislike for the vikings (I just hate them) or the Cowboys (for all the time they beat us) I just want someone else in the AFC to get a shot every now and then. And like I said before since we all would like the Packers to have a run like the Patriots its hard to hold that against them. I mean what if the Packers had the record the Patriots do, would we all hate them too? I don't think so Tim.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I mean what if the Packers had the record the Patriots do, would we all hate them too? I don't think so Tim.

A classic! Forgot about that one.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
First they’ll have to get penetration in less than 2-3 seconds ..., which is hard ...

Second, How many blitz packages have Brady faced, and How many resulted in an actual sack ?
The Rams will have as good a shot as anyone with the personnel on their defensive line, along with having Wade Phillips as their defensive coordinator, as he's had a little success against Brady in the past.

It's definitely not going to be easy, but the Rams have to be aggressive and jam up/re-route the Patriots receivers which theoretically will take Brady's 1st/2nd read away. The longer he holds the ball, the increased possibility of Suh or Donald getting home.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am interested at the fact that it is no breaking news that Belichick likes to take one or two of your top weapons away and beat them with your 3-4 guys. Aside from Gurley, who has been questionable this entire offseason, I don't know who the Patriots focus on because they have a bunch of #3 weapons. They don't have a Hill/Kelce combo, or a Gordon/Allen combo. So I am interested to see what Belichick schemes up for this game. Does he take his chance that Gurley is going to continue to not look himself and just take Goff out in general? That'll be the chess match. I don't think offensively the Patriots are going to score every drive like last year but I imagine they will have their moments more than not. They'll utilize James White enough to not make the D-line so aggressive and take their shots.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
An interesting fact about super bowls over the past decade. In the past 10 Super Bowls (this Sunday included) it has featured a top 10 richest organization/owner in the league. The only not top 10 richest to get to a super bowl in the past 10 years are the Steelers, Packers, Broncos (twice) and Carolina. I wonder what the coorelation is? Richer the organization the more they can pay their coaching staff and support staff (ie. Medical staff, strength and conditioning, recruiting).

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of people can't stand Bill B.....but these sound bites just crack me up. Have to appreciate his sense of humor.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1090718719762808832

Other than the fact that his team wins all the Effing time I kind of like Bill B. I love his sense of humor. I like that he is not afraid to call a spade a spade when dealing with stupid questions. He's been around longer than most and I'm sure he's heard pretty much every stupid question there is so it must be hard not to react like that. I love the response but the fact that he didn't say anything to make the reporter look really stupid sort of disappointed me.

Reaction score
Reading all these predictions for Sunday's SB, reminds me when the cowboys were winning all the time.
god, I hated that team (and still do).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reading all these predictions for Sunday's SB, reminds me when the cowboys were winning all the time.
god, I hated that team (and still do).

I think the "hatred" for the Cowboys runs deeper and hits closer to home for most Packer fans. In the 90's, between 1991-1996, the Packers lost 8 straight to the boys. With 3 of those losses (93, 94 and 95) knocking us out of the Playoffs.

Fortunately, we have had some revenge on them. Winning 7 out of 8 since 2009 and knocking them out of the playoffs twice in the process (2015 and 2017).

Currently, my "least favorite team", is the Seattle Seahawks. :coffee:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only reason I like the Seahawks is because Russel Wilson never forgets playing for the Badgers.

Yup, as a Badger fan, I will always like Russell, but I would be fine with seeing him have really bad outings when the SeaTurds play the Packers.