Sam Shields tosses out g/f and leaves her homeless

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yup. Fuzzy Thurston and Max Magee opened several Left Guard restaurants in Appleton, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and in Menasha--where my wife grew up. Lots of stories out of the Menasha site as well. Max had the Left End in Manitowac as well. Fuzzy sold his restaurant in Green Bay (Fuzzy's #63 Bar and Grill) a couple years ago and we still go there for a steak sandwich on game days. There are still some great photos of the 60s teams in the place--pretty close to heaven for fans my age. Max turned the Left Guard in Minneapolis into a Mexican place. Named it Chi Chi's and made a fortune on franchises around the country.
One of my Aunt's worked in the one in Appleton. Needless to say, the Packer players that showed up there were not Saints. Back then a lot of stuff was pushed under the table and hid in back rooms.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my Aunt's worked in the one in Appleton. Needless to say, the Packer players that showed up there were not Saints. Back then a lot of stuff was pushed under the table and hid in back rooms.

Seems like not that long ago Warren moon had a domestic situation while he was playing that people seems not too concerned with

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Seems like not that long ago Warren moon had a domestic situation while he was playing that people seems not too concerned with
That's one of the problems. A lot of this was pushed away and hidden for years. Now it's coming out into the open and people are surprised. Guess what? Football players are human and they make mistakes and fail. One of the reasons I never put one on a pedestal. Once you do, they will only disappoint.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

That was on his football life, (just watched it 2 weeks ago) and per the story nothing ever came of it..His wife at the time hugged him and screamed with joy when the case was dropped (?)

They both admitted to screaming at each other in their bedroom and the maid heard it..The maid never heard Warren yell and it worried her..She called the cops

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"When it comes to NFL players conduct, the NFL is a reactive organization. If they want things to change they need to become a proactive force in players lives."

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the NFL has extensive programs to help players in this regard. The players have much BETTER care and attention than the average American in that regard. That's just a fact. Beyond that, it's just a FACT that much fewer NFL players are criminals than the rest of the population. So, this notion that the NFL is all fcked up with criminals running wild is totally false.

...but...just like in the real world...we blame big business, big bad evil corporations or "the man" for problems people have, instead of the people themselves.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
"When it comes to NFL players conduct, the NFL is a reactive organization. If they want things to change they need to become a proactive force in players lives."

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the NFL has extensive programs to help players in this regard. The players have much BETTER care and attention than the average American in that regard. That's just a fact. Beyond that, it's just a FACT that much fewer NFL players are criminals than the rest of the population. So, this notion that the NFL is all fcked up with criminals running wild is totally false.

...but...just like in the real world...we blame big business, big bad evil corporations or "the man" for problems people have, instead of the people themselves.
I agree with you. For the most part they are actually better than the general population. However, if I am not mistaken, most of the programs the NFL has available are voluntary. Now, I am not advocating for hardcore do this or else. But, if they are going to hold jobs and pay on the line with the players then they have to do a better job of making the players use the resources at hand. Mandatory training in certain areas should be standard. You are still going to have problems, mainly because no one ever thinks they have a problem until they are in handcuffs. And an outside source should handle the discipline of players. Not the commish.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. For the most part they are actually better than the general population. However, if I am not mistaken, most of the programs the NFL has available are voluntary. Now, I am not advocating for hardcore do this or else. But, if they are going to hold jobs and pay on the line with the players then they have to do a better job of making the players use the resources at hand. Mandatory training in certain areas should be standard. You are still going to have problems, mainly because no one ever thinks they have a problem until they are in handcuffs. And an outside source should handle the discipline of players. Not the commish.

I don't think so. From what I have seen and have read, the NFL has mandatory programs in place that all players have to attend. It's starts with draftees and continues at the team level. Most teams also have their own programs in place and a person from their organization that helps with player programs.

Heck, the NFL "confidential limo" program has been in place for years, where players can call a limo on the NFL dime any time they're too drunk to drive. Yet, we all know every season there are drunk driving charges against players.

Something else we don't talk about is the player union's role in all of this. The union collectively bargins with money and only money in mind. They push for less punishment and less rules. People let them off the hook but they are the biggest hurdle when it comes to setting strict rules in place. That's a fact Jack.

I totally agree it would be great to have a third party handle discipline. I do think however our legal court system could be the ultimate arbiter in most cases. Much of this should be simple. Set guidelines for offenses and it would be black and white what the punishment would be accordingly. The third party person could decide on what happens in the time before the case goes to court.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
That was on his football life, (just watched it 2 weeks ago) and per the story nothing ever came of it..His wife at the time hugged him and screamed with joy when the case was dropped (?)

They both admitted to screaming at each other in their bedroom and the maid heard it..The maid never heard Warren yell and it worried her..She called the cops

I lived across the street (literally) from the Moon family during the time this occurred. This was in a commuter community south of Houston called Lake Olympia.

I remember the evening this occurred. There were a bunch of cop cars in their driveway and outside the gate. The initial sirens and ongoing flashing lights at their place caught everyone's attention, especially as it was at the Moon household. We hadn't had this kind of excitement on our street since an 8' alligator was found snoozing in someone's garage. I don't have any information of what ever happened within their house, but I know that the cops arrested and took him away in a squad car. The rest of the police were gone within a couple hours. I think charges were eventually dropped.

But, what was annoying was the media. They parked their vehicles, vans and trucks out in front of his house and became an immediate nuisance. Worse yet, some stayed on location for days and blocked access without regard to others. When they finally left, they didn't bother to clean up the trash they left behind.

I have strongly disliked "news" reporters ever since.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL and NFLPA have been meeting to discuss player conduct policies. So far, they have yet to reach any conclusions.
A player does something bad, boom, cut for life. What is so hard about that?
I'm not so sure if Rodger Badhell will be able to meet his SB deadline for getting the NFL house in order.
And now they are addressing these issues? WTF has taken them so long to get around to this? This should have taken priority over getting a team set up in London.
Yeah, I know that a football player is unlike any other job but maybe the NFL should start being like a normal workplace in some aspects.
Do you think that an employee would still be working at a place if he or she did any of the stuff that they are letting the players get away with?
SMH

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not about to get all up in Sam Sheild's business, but remember there are two sides of every story and then there is the truth.

That being said, I'd rather deal with this than have a Ray Rice situation on our hands.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I lived across the street (literally) from the Moon family during the time this occurred. This was in a commuter community south of Houston called Lake Olympia.

I remember the evening this occurred. There were a bunch of cop cars in their driveway and outside the gate. The initial sirens and ongoing flashing lights at their place caught everyone's attention, especially as it was at the Moon household. We hadn't had this kind of excitement on our street since an 8' alligator was found snoozing in someone's garage. I don't have any information of what ever happened within their house, but I know that the cops arrested and took him away in a squad car. The rest of the police were gone within a couple hours. I think charges were eventually dropped.

But, what was annoying was the media. They parked their vehicles, vans and trucks out in front of his house and became an immediate nuisance. Worse yet, some stayed on location for days and blocked access without regard to others. When they finally left, they didn't bother to clean up the trash they left behind.

I have strongly disliked "news" reporters ever since.

I was slightly involved with an incident that ended up on the front page of a wisc paper for 3 days straight, and continuing coverage after. They had no sources and just speculated about the whole thing for the first couple of days. Its sad that when major stuff breaks, everyone just automatically believes what they read in the paper, and someone becomes guilty until the media says otherwise

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was slightly involved with an incident that ended up on the front page of a wisc paper for 3 days straight, and continuing coverage after. They had no sources and just speculated about the whole thing for the first couple of days. Its sad that when major stuff breaks, everyone just automatically believes what they read in the paper, and someone becomes guilty until the media says otherwise

Agreed. First, the man will always be considered guilty until proven innocent when it comes to man-woman disputes. Second, as we've said, pro-athletes are targeted because of their money. Period.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

now you have to tell us lol

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not about to get all up in Sam Sheild's business, but remember there are two sides of every story and then there is the truth.

That being said, I'd rather deal with this than have a Ray Rice situation on our hands.

This is about 2.5 years old, some one re-birthed it